What makes you watch a movie?

Your Own Reason(s) for Watching Movies

• part of socializing activities (like eating-out)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

helena22

Proud Member
What makes you watch movies?

Let's talk about one of the most basic questions : why do you watch movies?

I'm the type of person who watch movies far less often than probably many of yall.
I guess, that got me thinking of what films do for us.

Do share your own reasons that applies to most of the time when you watch movies, if not always.

Last edited:
oh, I'm the first one :blush:

I chose other cause that applies MOST if not ALWAYS my reason why I 'invest' time in Movies ;)

Well, I used to watch Movies for 'entertainment' and cause a certain STAR played in it but I guess I 'outgrew' this stage :cheeky:

Now, I watch Movies for 'study' reasons...
That is I dissect the Plot and how the characters develop and act in a story... Where the strong points and hooks are...Does a storyline have any weak points where the audience just goes to the loo ;)
I know, that's what 'authors' do :scratch:

Though, in general when I 'choose' a movie in DVD or at the cinema.... apart from the 'study' factor... it has to be something Thrilling with a lot of action and a lot of Blood too... I don't like corny and :cry: movies... I like to be blown away and that's why I chose HORROR movies a lot...

I'll watch anything that looks good to me. If it looks good I add it to my Netflix list or see it in theaters. I got to the theater a lot. Probably 2-3 times a month depending on what's out. My Netflix list is something like 80+ films long lol. I mainly go for the entertainment factor, sometimes certain actors will sway me, but I love movies that inspire me or are more intellectual or psychological too.

mostly/strictly for entertainment & other

1st one is self-explanatory. "Other" ---> definitely, feel-good elements
For example, I don't like watching gory movies or disaster movies.
Of course I COULD kinda emotionally detach myself from those fictional stories strictly for entertainment, but it ain't as easy as I think. Those types of movies simply get me down yall. As a result, I usually go for certain genres. Like, umm.... comedies, family drama with happy ending, chick flicks with bouncy characters (LOL), romcoms, etc.
You get the picture :)

I chose "Other" because, well, there are more factors involved :) Sometimes I watch movies because of an actor I like, because I'm a fan of the director (to give just an example: Hitchcock) or of the genre (I love old, 40's to 60's movies). Other times, the story might have captured my interest - be it a movie made after books I loved reading, or just captivating messages some movies try to convey (what comes to mind right now: Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark...) . And other times, it's just for entertainment - when I watch horror or sci-fis.

Last edited:
oh, I'm the first one :blush:

I chose other cause that applies MOST if not ALWAYS my reason why I 'invest' time in Movies ;)

Well, I used to watch Movies for 'entertainment' and cause a certain STAR played in it but I guess I 'outgrew' this stage :cheeky:

Now, I watch Movies for 'study' reasons...
That is I dissect the Plot and how the characters develop and act in a story... Where the strong points and hooks are...Does a storyline have any weak points where the audience just goes to the loo ;)
I know, that's what 'authors' do :scratch:

Though, in general when I 'choose' a movie in DVD or at the cinema.... apart from the 'study' factor... it has to be something Thrilling with a lot of action and a lot of Blood too... I don't like corny and :cry: movies... I like to be blown away and that's why I chose HORROR movies a lot...
If I hadn't read the 2nd sentence, I woulda def. thought you belong to "I'm a movie buff", the first category. I've seen some movie fans, nah, movie aficionados are really into "studying" the art form. Storyline, character development, like you mentioned, etc.
You know what? Aren't you a writer? I remember reading you said that! It just hit me from your post. And I can see that has a lot to do with your analyzing movies, you know, digging deeper into how it's done, not just what's done.

I voted for these reasons:

I'm a movie buff. Nuff said. (Just for Bollywood movies I am.)
to kill time
mostly/strictly for entertainment
(an actor's name) fan, rather than a movie fan (I am a huge Shahrukh Khan fan. L.O.V.E. him as much as I L.O.V.E. my beloved Michael.)
Other

The dancing and the singing in Bollywood movies is why I watch them. Plus watching a Bollywood movie has this magical dreamlike feel that you don't get with Hollywood movies. Especially if it is a Bollywood romance movie. Where the 2 main actors actually makes you think they really are in L.O.V.E. with each other. Plus another great thing I so L.O.V.E. about Bollywood movies. Is that you very rarely see any lip kissing scenes in them. Especially in their romance movies. Indians don't really like that. They consider it on the risque side to do that.

Been a Bollywood fan since 2005. And it was by accident when I became a Bollywood fan. Back then there was nothing to watch on tv that night. So I force myself to watch this movie on TCM. And I really didn't feel like watching a movie. Let alone a foreign movie where you have to read subtitles in order to know what the actors are saying. That night they were showing a movie called Mother India. So of course it was all about India. And I didn't even know India made movies. And I just totally L.O.V.E it. And I been wanting to see more and more Bollywood movies ever since. It is very rare now I will watch let alone waste my time with a boring Hollywood movie. Not when there are fun exciting Bollywood movies I could be watching instead. Plus Bollywood has been a real life saver for me ever since what had happen to Michael. Because of the fact I can no longer handle watching and listen to Michael like I used to. And I so totally miss that. Bollywood has been my Michael replacement if I want to see singing and/ or dancing now.

Back