Robin Williams Dies At 63

Spyce

Guests
This thread is for people to come to where they can mourn the loss, and celebrate the life and legacy of Robin Williams. If you have anything negative at all to say, or are simply not a fan of Robin's, then move on from this thread. This is NOT a thread to be used to bash him, or to start arguments based on certain aspects of his stand-up routines. This will NOT turn into a repeat of the former thread.

Robin Williams Is Dead At 63

The actor and comedian was found Monday in his northern California home.
“He has been battling severe depression of late,” his representative said.

enhanced-4566-1407797902-12.jpg

Oscar-winning actor Robin Williams died Monday, Aug. 11, the Marin County Sheriff’s Office announced Monday.

Williams was found Monday “unconscious and not breathing inside his residence,” according to a statement from the sheriff’s department. Williams’ death is being investigated as “suicide due to asphyxia,” it said.

“Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late,” Mara Buxbaum, press representative, said in a statement. “This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.”

Williams’ wife, Susan Schneider, asked for “privacy during our time of profound grief.”

“This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings,” Schneider said. “I am utterly heartbroken. On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

Williams had three children: Zachary Pym, age 31; Zelda Rae, age 25; and Cody Alan, age 22.

The actor famously struggled with issues of addiction and mental health for years. He admitted to abusing alcohol and cocaine in the early 1980s, but quit after his friend John Belushi died of an overdose in 1982. He remained sober for more than 20 years but entered rehab in 2006 for alcohol addiction after a relapse.

“It’s [addiction] — not caused by anything, it’s just there,” Williams told ABC in a 2006 interview. “It waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, ‘It’s fine now, I’m OK.’ Then, the next thing you know, it’s not OK. Then you realize, ‘Where am I? I didn’t realize I was in Cleveland.’”

Williams underwent heart surgery in 2009.

He checked into rehab on July 1, 2014, for “continued sobriety.”

Marin County Sheriff said it would hold a news conference Tuesday on its investigation into Williams’ death.

Williams won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar in 1998 for his role as a therapist in Good Will Hunting. He was nominated three other times for Best Actor for his roles in Good Morning Vietnam, The Fisher King and Dead Poets Society.

His breakthrough role was as an alien on the ABC television show Mork and Mindy.

President Obama issued the following statement on Williams:

Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien — but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most — from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams.

The last message Williams posted online was a picture of himself with his 25-year-old daughter, Zelda Rae Williams. He uploaded the picture on July 31 — his daughter’s birthday:

rw-last-instagram.jpg

Source: BuzzFeed

Thank you so much for creating this thread. Now I feel like I can come back to this forum and voice my opinion and how I feel about his death without being judged or attacked for it.

I am completely and utterly devastated. My whole entire life when anyone has ever asked me who my favorite actor is I have always said "Robin Williams and Jim Carey."

I woke up to 11 emails in my inbox so I went to check them and right at the top was an email from Huffington post saying "Robin Williams dies of apparent suicide." I REFUSED to believe it. It had to be a hoax. I was in complete and utter shock. Then I went onto Facebook and it was EVERYWHERE and it was stated by the articles that it was confirmed by police. My shock turned to complete and utter devastation. I have never cried more over a celebrity death in my life.

Robin Williams was (can't believe I'm talking about him in past tense ) one of those magical people who enter your life at a young age and changes the whole course of your life. I start thinking about movies he has been in that have meant something to me and have automatically thought of more. I grew up with Robin Williams. He was my childhood. Hook, Aladdin, Flubber, Jumanji, Mrs. Doubtfire.

Then as we grew up to teenagers we saw another incredible side to his acting skills. I still remember studying Dead Poets Society in school and being blown away by his incredible acting skills. Patch Adams was another movie that touched my life. One of those rare movies that is both funny and deeply moving and profound at the same time that touches the heart. The same was with Bicentennial Man. Robin was known for finding that fine balance between humor and heart warming that would stay in your mind for many years, perhaps even a lifetime.

Everyone has known my complete love for Robin Williams. Even my brother Joshua gave me Good Morning, Vietnam one birthday saying "I know how much you love Robin Williams. I thought you would like this movie."

I am not dealing with this and I guarantee there are millions around the world who feel the same way that I do. Rest in peace Robin Williams, you changed my life more than you know. You will always be my favorite actor. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

I'm utterly shattered. This is like 2009 all over again. I simply cannot process the loss.

I got up at noon today, and actually went back to sleep for four hours after reading something about Robin's suicide. It saddens me so much that he was in so much pain. He brought so much joy to me, and even though I haven't seen every film that he's touched, I've literally grown up with Robin Williams in the house. Mork and Mindy was my introduction, and my entire childhood was filled with his works.

I'm barely coping with this. I am going to deal with it the way that I did when I lost Michael, which is, celebrate his life and don't let his legend fade away. I may find it hard to watch Robin's films and stand up right now, but I will get to the point where I, like MJ, can put on the work of art and appreciate it like he was still living. That's what being a fan is all about.

I'm utterly shattered. This is like 2009 all over again. I simply cannot process the loss.

I got up at noon today, and actually went back to sleep for four hours after reading something about Robin's suicide. It saddens me so much that he was in so much pain. He brought so much joy to me, and even though I haven't seen every film that he's touched, I've literally grown up with Robin Williams in the house. Mork and Mindy was my introduction, and my entire childhood was filled with his works.

I'm barely coping with this. I am going to deal with it the way that I did when I lost Michael, which is, celebrate his life and don't let his legend fade away. I may find it hard to watch Robin's films and stand up right now, but I will get to the point where I, like MJ, can put on the work of art and appreciate it like he was still living. That's what being a fan is all about.

I've always loved Robin Williams movies. I grew up watching them.

I think this has hit close to home for many people because they see themselves in his death. They realize they are only a few steps behind if they don't get help.

I HATE how graphic the police officers description was of Robin's death. Was there seriously a necessity to give THAT much detail? Seriously?

I had posted this in the other thread, so I'm reposting here :)

[YouTube]FbBgLQ1yfZk[/YouTube]

I'm gonna repost a video too and add more.

From "Mrs. Doubtfire"
[YOUTUBE]jylTSfjv8Kk[/YOUTUBE]

Who can forget he's the Genie?

"Aladdin"
[YOUTUBE]HLQLFJrV_o4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]NPie8NDdGMk[/YOUTUBE]

"Aladdin & The King Of Thieves"
[YOUTUBE]jnvjH_I2OQA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IK9EW7hIgDA[/YOUTUBE]

I also love when he does Ramon

"Happy Feet 2" My favourite part
[YOUTUBE]I7hcAg1DNGg[/YOUTUBE]

It's weird, when MJ died I couldn't watch him in anything for weeks without getting chest pains. But with Robin I feel the need to rewatch all of the films I love so much. Robin Williams has always been in my life, I grew up with him and just knowing that he was out there was comforting. The world's an emptier place now he's gone. I wish that love was stronger than sadness.

All revenue earned by this review of ALADDIN will be donated for the fight against depression. So let's get this video out there so we can help end this affliction that ails so many people!

I thought of another Robin Williams movie earlier, Jack. So good and funny, but sad too. I think his best movies had both the drama and the humor. So many great films, I've seen almost all of them I think. Yes, the world's not the same without Robin Williams or MJ. It's becoming an emptier place.

I had gone from crying the day he died non stop to yesterday going back to being in denial but this video got me crying again. The people involved with Disney seem to be making such emotionally powerful tributes to Robin Williams. Between the ending of the fireworks at Disney with them changing the name of the fireworks to "Genie's wishes" and at the end saying "Genie you're free" to this emotional and powerful moment. Damn it Disney tributes. What are you doing to me? Right in the feels :'(?

:wub: :heart: :cry: Wow, the outpouring of love for Robin is beautiful and I hope his kids and wife are feeling it. I was horrified to read that his daughter was being trolled/harassed about his death on her social network accounts.

I still can't believe he's gone, don't want to believe it. :boohoo:

Another genius gone :(
Its crazy to think we now live in a world without Robin Williams. A true talent that will be missed. A remarkable man.
[youtube]4qquQNxKJxw[/youtube]
[youtube]pL41ZBGTLbs[/youtube]

It's weird, when MJ died I couldn't watch him in anything for weeks without getting chest pains. But with Robin I feel the need to rewatch all of the films I love so much. Robin Williams has always been in my life, I grew up with him and just knowing that he was out there was comforting. The world's an emptier place now he's gone. I wish that love was stronger than sadness.

I feel the same way. I just want to see everything he was in, and remember him.

I guess it's because they died in different ways. Robin killed himself, so he was in pain, but nobody else was causing him that pain. Michael was humiliated and beaten by the press, and was murdered in the end, so it was much harder to accept.

I do believe that the latest development, that he was a sufferer of Parkinson's, is why he committed suicide. People don't know how hard it is to live with that.

It is still so hard to believe that he is truly gone. Sometimes I am still in denial. It is hard to fathom that someone so full of life and energy and laughter is just gone. I still am not believing it sometimes. I have to keep checking news sites to make sure it's true

I was so sad to hear. Actually, I had a bit of a shock when someone passingly (and very inconsiderately) mentioned it. I will truly miss him. I'm just sorry he got to the point where he'd take his own life. :cry: I still don't think I've processed it on the higher levels It just feels like it's all a cruel prank.

robin-williams-1-435.jpg

Robin Williams's closest family members and friends gathered at a private funeral in San Francisco last week to mourn the passing of the comedy legend, who died Aug. 11 at the age of 63.

The actor's remains were cremated, and the family scattered his ashes in San Francisco Bay, not far from his home, PEOPLE confirms.

The Oscar-winning actor committed suicide in his home in Tiburon, California. He is survived by his wife, Susan Schneider, and his three children, Zac, 31, Cody, 22, and Zelda, 25.

Schneider revealed in a statement last week that her late husband was suffering from the early stages of Parkinson's disease.

Williams also struggled with addiction and depression throughout his career, even checking himself into rehab earlier this summer in an effort to "fine-tune and focus on his continued commitment" to sobriety, which his wife said was "intact" at the time of his death.

Although Williams's fans were unable to attend the intimate funeral, many of his admirers have extended their condolences by placing fan-made shrines at some of his most famous film locations. The executive producer of the Emmys also confirmed they are planning a public tribute to the beloved comedian to air during the Aug. 25 awards show.

Source: People.com

This loss is going to hurt a very long time (for me). I haven't watched any of his movies since he passed or listened to any of his stand up shows. The tears started flowing when NPR paid tribute to him by replaying an interview from 2006 with host, Terry Gross.

Back