Liberian Girl!

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I can't get over how great of a song this is! The atmosphere, the seductiveness in his vocals, the spaces between the verses, the harmonies. Wow. This song is truly something else. When I envision how a real short film with look like for Liberian Girl I conjure up images of Remember The Time. Ancient Egypt that is for sure. Or even Africa. Scenery with different tribes and stuff doing their rituals. It would have been really cool. I wonder how Pyramid Girl sounds.

Edit: Does anyone have a version of Liberian Girl without the Speed Demon fade out?

[youtube]hImhtOJtEmU[/youtube]

I love Liberian Girl too. I think it deserved a better video but I guess the Bad project was running out of budget by the time it was a single. I always preferred it to the other love ballad of the album, which had a bigger chart success, IJCSLY.

Would have been amazing sung live.

Could be reallt theatric live.

I also think that it deserved a much better video. I remember, as a kid, being so disappointed watching it and seeing Michael only at the end.

I've thought about transferring one of my vinyl's soon, i'm also gonna hopefully find a second sealed LP... one i have was posted without much care...

Themidwestcowboy;4087252 said:
I can't get over how great of a song this is! The atmosphere, the seductiveness in his vocals, the spaces between the verses, the harmonies. Wow. This song is truly something else.

Edit: Does anyone have a version of Liberian Girl without the Speed Demon fade out?

In my opinion, MJ should have recorded more erotic, oriental styled, songs.

Also, I never understood that pretty widespread “fade out” concept which bothers me, too.

I loveeee the Speed Demon fade out at the beginning!

When I listened to Liberian Girl for the first time I just kept on repeating the track! And I still do today. The song is amazing. A true masterpiece. There is even Swahili spoken in the song. The beat. Damn. The beat is dope!!

Someone made a 12" version of the track which I've always enjoyed. Picked it up on here. I'll try to find the topic...

Personally, I think he really meant 'LIBRARIAN Girl.' :winking2:

He is referring to a girl of African origin, very sensual.. A desire that doesn't usually stem from being in a game room :')

Awww Zakk! Don't burst my bubble now, since I'm a librarian and he's singing so romantically. :gotcha:

(I'm just being silly. Please continue with the insightful Liberian Girl discussion.)

When I read you were a librarian, (you were in a Hot Seat), I immediately thought of Miko talking about that in Bad 25!!
LOL.

Last edited:
Yeah, man. This song just sounds wonderful! And to think, it all started with a game of pinball...

^^I'm sure the person wouldn't mind as long as you credit him?

I've no idea who it was lol. I think the name of the person was in the ID tags of the file but I renamed it to simply a 12" version for my own indexing purposes.

Anyway where can I upload the file - where's best?

Regarding the fades... i like it. The concept to let one song flow into the next wasn't really new,
although it probably was the first time this was done on a pop album.

I like the concept of the video. It's art and it's a bold statement.

There probably were also some practical reasons why he didn't shoot another regular video, like...
as rumours say, Michael, at the time, exhausted from touring the world, shooting shortfilm after
shortfilm (incl. Moonwalker) etc, wasn't really up for the work to shoot yet another one.

It maybe also wasn't too much of a bad idea to put out the song and video in Michael cameo mode, as back then,
towards the end of the long album promotion phase, there must have been some level of MJ oversaturation,
so why not put this out in a more subtle way.

The way it turned out it also shows off how much above things he was.
Only he could put out a video like this, getting all the, back then, A-list Hollywood celebs
in it just sitting around and just play the song in the background.
Only Michael could do this after he already had so many hit singles and videos from the BAD album.

Check out the beautiful "All I Need" by AIR from France, who did a similar style of video in 1998:

Or "Swords" by Leftfield:
http://www.clipfish.de/musikvideos/video/3200387/leftfield-swords/

Last edited:
This was my favorite song on the album from first play. One of his most beautiful tracks ever imo. Very exotic, romantic, atmospheric, and just plain unique. LOVE this so much

This was my favorite song on the album from first play. One of his most beautiful tracks ever imo. Very exotic, romantic, atmospheric, and just plain unique. LOVE this so much

I would say it's among the top 3 best songs on BAD

Favourite MJ love song, has it ever been revealed who the guy in the bandages in video was

Back