MJ is not a youtube-star! Tell us YOUR story about your adventure seeing Michael LIVE in concert.

FlyMeToTheMoon

Proud Member
I love!!! to listen to, to read about experiences at a MJ-concert. I mean - Michael LIVE on stage! The ultimate MJ-experience.:yes:!!!

I looked for and found out there are threads on the board with that theme - but they are all from a lot of years ago. And the most fans only told if they were there or not.

Maybe there are new fans on board or old fans who never wrote about it? Where are the YANA-/SOOML-girls? Or the poor guys who already stood waiting in a stadium and the loudspeakers announced the canceling of the concert? Where are the people who saw the Jacksons-concerts? Sexy BAD-Mike? The exciting DANGEROUS- and HIStory-Michael:wub:?

Let us read your story!

^^A few years ago, a member named Sheila wrote about going to the Victory Tour courtesy of her older sister. That post was so great and she made the whole thing come totally to life-I just will love her forever for that post. I'll try to find it-or contact Sheila.

I read another good one by somebody who was actually at the Motown 25 taping-another great story.

Tony R has been to the Bad, Dangerous & HIStory tours! Would love him to share his thoughts.

I went to the HIStory tour in Dublin. Personally I loved it and he gave an incredible performance of Billie Jean and was hanging right over my head for Earth Song. MJ came to my hometown Cork in 88 for the Bad tour and performed 2 nights, my mother couldn't afford tickets at the time but we stood outside and listened. After MJ played Cork everyone came, Prince, U2, Springsteen. MJ coming to the south of Ireland was unbelievable. He put the south on the map as place for other artists to come.

Oh, yes, Tony, come on!!! Share your stories! Yesterday I saw you have a big collection of tickets - you have been there. Wow, so great:dancin:!

Oh, yes, Tony, come on!!! Share your stories! Yesterday I saw you have a big collection of tickets - you have been there. Wow, so great:dancin:!

When I'm good and ready.

I'm gonna make y'all beg.

(Probably tomorrow ;) )

I'd have been 15 at the Bad concert so remember it quite vividly.

Firstly it was amazing that MJ was coming to Leeds. This was in the years of the ultimate superstar & Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones & Madonna had played in the previous 2 years. But this was Michael Jackson & the whole city was super-hyped.

Everyone, and I mean everyone wanted a ticket. It wasn't even a question. From the super fans like myself to the casual listener to the general music fan. Even at the time of the (then quite expensive) £28.50!!!

I don't recall how we got the tickets, I think it was just pressing redial about 200 times (this was obviously pre-internet, Ticketmaster etc...).

Anyway, we got them. My Dad, sister & myself. I recall us all walking to Roundhay Park alongside 90,000 others. The streets were just swamped. It was a great day weather wise (late August) and we managed to get relatively good standing position, probably a third back to the left).

I guess this is more detail that you want to know?!

The main bits I recall are the trepidation as the stage went dark & the underlying noise that started pre WBSS. Then the screams as the 'BAM, BAM, BAM' hit!

Billie Jean! Especially the hat toss into the audience (I was nowhere near it!).

But the overriding memory was the break down in SOOML. This was because that was when 90,000 fans started singing 'Happy Birthday' for it was the great man's 30th. He tried to keep his composure (I didn't judge of it), but started laughing & saying thank you.

It was just brilliant, well you know that, you've seen it.

4 years later and by then I was just infatuated. Dangerous was already my most beloved album of all time and I just couldn't wait. Again, my Dad, sister & I did the same walk down but this time I was closer to the front & have more vivid memories.

The main memory that still makes my chest bang was the toaster pop-up. Again, before any internet there was no spoilers, so I had no idea I was about to see that. ****ing Hell. Then opening with Jam. One of the best records ever to open an album or concert with.

I remember adoring WYBT and all the new stuff, slightly disgruntled about no Who Is It or GITM (I still am!). I didn't realise at the time any was lip-synced so I recall thinking how much his vocal had improved on certain songs!

Man In The Mirror was another obvious highlight, especially as 'he' flew right over my head!

I remember walking home from this one & tearing down the huge billboard picture that I till have. I also recall phoning the local radio station when I got back & won the competition winning a Dangerous T shirt (that I still have) plus a mask and a pin badge which I hate to say I lost.

HIStory I went to twice and anyone who has ever read a post I have made on the tour knows they were less than fulfilling experiences for me. I went to Sheffield & then Wembley. I wouldn't have done both but they announced Wembley first so I bought for that, then annoyingly then announced the one closer to home.

Firstly I was sat down for Sheffield which wasn't great. Most of it I'd seen twice before now, I thought the Spaceman entry compared to Dangerous was poor & the video went on for ever! I was so excited when he opened with Scream but when that, and TDCAU & In The Closet were only half songs, it was annoying. And then we had the blatant lip-syncing for 90%. Also, I felt the audience on both occasions were less than impressed.

Having said that the awesomeness of the first two tours overrides any bad memories of HIStory. I was so pleased when Bad25 came out & I finally had great memories to recall.

The best part of the Bad & slightly lesser extent Dangerous experience was the feeling of unity that everyone had to go, the 90,000 all walking there & back and the way it just brought everyone together.

Sha'mone muthafunsters.

^^Ive got a stupid question for anybody who has gone to the shows in Europe. I've never stood in a concert before (unless you just jump up spontaneously).

How do you see over the people in front of you? Are you on risers or something?

^^Ive got a stupid question for anybody who has gone to the shows in Europe. I've never stood in a concert before (unless you just jump up spontaneously).

How do you see over the people in front of you? Are you on risers or something?

Ha! It's pretty much try and stand behind short people!

I would sell my house to have attended a Bad tour show. Good stuff!

Thank you, Tony!:) Wonderful stories.:yes: In my mind I jumped into that time and the situations.............. And, of course, I envy you for the BAD- and DANGEROUS-concerts!

I recall my HIStory-experiences weren´t so bad as you described it for you - no, I loved it!!!!!!!!!! Prague was hard, I wrote about it in another thread, but Bremen and Berlin were great. I didn´t think about lip-syncing and such, I had no critics, no - I just loved to see the man performing. I loved to be in the audience. And yes, also in Bremen and Berlin all the people in the stadium felt together, united in singing and dancing........ - wonderful mood. One wave all over the huge space.

Barbee, your question is not stupid:D. For small people in fact it is a problem. For me it was one more reason to try to stand in one of the front rows. Then you look up to the stage and it isn´t so important how tall the people are in front of you.

Thanks Tony, it's great to hear your experiences.
My late mum went to that show in Leeds, she spoke about how amazing it was, how he was electric to watch and how overwhelming it was to be there on his birthday. She always used to say his hat skimmed her fingertips.

:wub::wub::wub: @ this thread lol.

Keep the stories comin'!!! :dancin:

Ha! It's pretty much try and stand behind short people!
That's what I was afraid you'd say. As an extremely short woman, I probably would have spent the entire concert crying because I couldn't see.

For all these years I've watched "Brace Yourself" and other media coverage of Michael of people passing out at his shows and being carted out over their heads and was always amazed by his power. Now lately after reading people waiting 13 hours in the hot sun just to get in and standing up for the whole show, I realize that it wasn't just Michael that was causing all that fainting. haha

Oh, yes, Barbee:) - and not just to wait for all these hours: you know in these long hours you can´t eat and drink something, because you can´t leave your place in front of the gates or later in the stadium. When you go to the restroom the wonderful place you had fought for is gone. As I said before it´s like a survivaltrip, you have to be very fit(y) to join a Michael-concert. And as you said: from that moment in Prague I nearly fainted I knew - the girls and boys probably fainted very rare because of Michaels presence. I lost my wonderful illusion. But I loved it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Back