* Why Did I Get Married * ~ No. 1 Movie!

DirrtyDiana69

Proud Member
Okay, all of y'all need to go out and support Janet and go see this movie! It was great. It was funny and it had heart . The movie will make you laugh and cry at the same time lol. I really enjoyed it and I would highly recommend it to anyone . Everyone in the movie did a great job!

Yup, It was very Good!!! I loved it and I think everyone should see it! :kickass: :clap: :sarmoti

Glad to hear u liked it too! It was a great movie. I hope Tyler Perry decides to make a sequel.

Ah I really wanna see it but they aint sending it here :(

Guess Ill just have to wait for it to come out on DVD

http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/id...241365320071014

Moviegoers rush to "Get Married"

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The latest movie from writer/director/actor Tyler Perry crushed some high-powered competition at the weekend box office in North America, earning more than the combined total of films starring Oscar winners George Clooney and Cate Blanchett.

According to studio estimates issued on Sunday, Perry's romantic comedy-drama "Why Did I Get Married?" sold $21.5 million worth of tickets. It ended the two-week reign of the family comedy "The Game Plan," which slipped to a distant No. 2 with $11.5 million.

Clooney's legal drama "Michael Clayton" jumped 19 places to No. 3 after expanding nationally in its second weekend. It earned $11 million, tying with "We Own the Night," a new crime drama starring Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg.

Blanchett took the No. 6 spot with the historical drama "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," which opened to a disappointing $6.2 million. Just ahead of her was the Ben Stiller comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" with $7.4 million in its second weekend.

Perry's "Why Did I Get Married?" revolves around the turbulent lives of four married couples, and he is joined in the cast by Janet Jackson and Jill Scott.

Industry pundits had largely marked down the movie's chances, despite Perry's success with such chart-toppers as 2005's "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" ($21.9 million opening), and 2006's "Madea's Family Reunion" ($30 million opening).

"This is the last time that anyone will underestimate Tyler Perry," said Tom Ortenberg, president of distribution at the Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.-owned studio.

Going into the weekend, various forecasters had predicted a tight race for the lead, with the leading contenders likely to be bunched in the low- to mid-teen millions.

Ortenberg said Perry's movies, which incorporate themes of family and personal redemption, speak to a "nontraditional moviegoing audience" that does not show up in pre-release studies. "We aren't the least bit surprised" by the opening, he said.

As is the case with Perry movies, the audience was heavily black -- about 90 percent -- and 65 percent of moviegoers were female, Ortenberg said. The studio has been trying to boost his crossover appeal to white audiences with an eye on the exponential boost to box office sales. Ortenberg said Perry's DVDs sell well across the demographics.

As for the other new entries, Warner Bros. had thought it might have a solid shot at winning the weekend with "Michael Clayton," in which Clooney plays the titular hero. In the end, the Time Warner Inc.-owned studio said it was happy with the $11 million opening, hoping that review-sensitive older moviegoers would underpin business in the coming weeks.

Critics were less enthused about Columbia Pictures' "We Own the Night," which stars Phoenix and Wahlberg as brothers battling with Soviet-era drug kingpins. Its $11 million opening was termed "solid" by the Sony Corp.-owned studio.

Universal said it was disappointed with the $6.2 million opening for "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," in which Blanchett reunites with fellow Australian Geoffrey Rush and director Shekhar Kapur for a follow-up to 1998's "Elizabeth." Critics were also underwhelmed. Universal is a unit of General Electric Co's NBC Universal Inc.

Elsewhere, Walt Disney Co's "The Game Plan" has earned $59.5 million after three weekends. A week after its disappointing debut, the Ben Stiller comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" slipped three places to No. 5 with $7.4 million; the 10-day total stands at $26 million. The film was released by DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures, both units of Viacom

According to studio estimates issued on Sunday, Perry's romantic comedy-drama "Why Did I Get Married?" sold $21.5 million worth of tickets. It ended the two-week reign of the family comedy "The Game Plan," which slipped to a distant No. 2 with $11.5 million.

Clooney's legal drama "Michael Clayton" jumped 19 places to No. 3 after expanding nationally in its second weekend. It earned $11 million, tying with "We Own the Night," a new crime drama starring Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg.[/b]
Congrats to Janet and the WDIGM's cast!! :kickass:

Enrico

Glad to hear that the movie did well! Congrats to the entire cast and especially Tyler Perry!

I am glad for Perry and Janet..as well as Jill Scott...it must be quite a relief for Janet...

ps: it did better that chicken foots last movie... who is chicken foot

JT..

Question for anyone who saw it...would a guy like this movie or is it more of a chick flick?

I saw the movie yesterday and it was good. Take some tissue though if you are a cry baby. Jill Scott and Tasha Smith were outstanding.

Best performance to date by Janet in any acting role, going back to 'Good Times'.

The movie IS the number ONE movie in America this week.

Congratulations to Tyler Perry and Janet Jackson and cast of WDIGM!

Question for anyone who saw it...would a guy like this movie or is it more of a chick flick?[/b]
I say it's a couples flick -- good date movie, good movie to hang out with your friends, good movie for families, actually. Janet and Jill had guys crying in this flick....

I am glad for Perry and Janet..as well as Jill Scott...it must be quite a relief for Janet...

ps: it did better that chicken foots last movie... who is chicken foot

JT..[/b]
Didn't that crap go straight to DVD?

I say it's a couples flick -- good date movie, good movie to hang out with your friends, good movie for families, actually. Janet and Jill had guys crying in this flick....[/b]

wow...thats amazing...thanks for the info

Tyler Perry has just responded to the Sacremento interview incident and his 'critics':

Hello, hello, hello!

Before I get into this I just want you to know that this one may be a
little long. (smile)

These last two weeks I have been on a promotional tour for MARRIED. 9
states, 25 private screenings, several TV and radio appearances; all in
about 12 days! And let me tell you--it has taken a toll.

- I have been told that since I'm not in a dress this movie wouldn't work.

- I have been called a racist (among other things) because there are no
other races represented in this film (that's not something that I ever
think about...I just want to tell a good story).

- I have been lied to, tricked, deceived.
There was one reporter, who I was told was coming from New York to do a
favorable piece. She sat in my office and smiled and asked me all kinds
of questions. When the article came out it was all out of context and all
about how my movies are the worst thing that have ever happened to Black
people and that I am doing nothing but modern day step-and-fetch it, and
that I'm just trying to get rich. I was shocked and quite upset by the
trickery. Not only by her but also the things that were said about this
movie in print were so awful. Several Hollywood trades didn't even mention
that MARRIED was a contender for number one. They thought that the number
one would be George Clooney's movie or Mark Walbrurg's movie.

Now I had never ever read any of this stuff in the past, but for some
reason I felt lead to read it this time. The venom and disdain for what I
do was apparent. And speaking of venom, what they did to Janet was
unacceptable. Janet, who was under no obligation at all to promote this
movie, sat with me while I was doing a round of TV interviews. Half way
through the three hours of sitting in the same spot she was attacked by a
reporter on a Sacramento morning show who only wanted to talk about the
Super Bowl incident.

Now, I made it perfectly clear before we went live on the air that I
wasn't talking about the Super Bowl or Janet's family. We had less than 5
minuets so I wanted to keep it positive and focus on the movie. But he
didn't want to keep it positive. I had to maintain my composure because we
were live on the air. I didn't let her speak. I kept jumping in because it
was just so unfair to her. I have not seen Justin Timberlake attacked like
that. I wasn't going to let them do that to her. Believe me when I tell
you--Janet worked so hard on this film. She deserved more respect from
this man than that! We both did.

In the mist of all of this I was fighting trying to get more screens
because every other movie that opens with a track record like mine have
not had to deal with fighting for screens. Most of the movies of my
counterparts open on at least 3,000 screens. MARRIED was given 2,000.
Needless to say I was exhausted and mentally drained. So, by this time it
was last Thursday and I just had no more to give. So, when I started to
write that email (about the movie and for you to please check your tickets
and so on) all that I could think was, "Tyler don't let these people get
you down. As a matter of fact, speak a word of encouragement to the people
that have been there for you and let that be that!"

Every time I'm overwhelmed by negative I just have to remember how good
God has been to me. And as I was thinking about all of this all I could
hear was LIVE YOUR DREAM BOY! LIVE YOUR DREAM!!

I wrote to you about dreams because I was just in a place of realizing
that I had done all that I could do and the movie was in God's hands, so I
just wanted to encourage somebody. After I sent that email to you I was
reading your responses on the message board and, well, you don't know what
you did for me. Here I was thinking that I was encouraging you and then
you turned around and encouraged me! That's why I thank God for you and
your messages.

But little did I know how much more was to come...Jesus!!!

So, now cut to Friday. . .Dear GOD!!!

I decided to go to the movie and just relax. I was trying to buy tickets
online so I tried the 7 o'clock show. It was sold out. I then tried the 8.
It was sold out. Then the 9. It, too, was sold out! So I thought, "I need
to call the theater. Maybe they'll save me a seat since I know some of
the folks that are in this movie." (smile)

After the movie started I was brought into the back of the theater, and no
sooner than I sat down I realized why I was having such a battle. I then
realized why there was such an attack. As I looked at the faces of the
people in this theater laughing and crying I got it. I got it! I had a
feeling that this movie was special, but I didn't know how special. I
could literally see husbands and wives coming together. I could see people
letting go of past hurts. And I could feel forgiveness in the air. I
enjoyed watching your faces while you watched the movie. Between the tears
in my eyes and the watching of your faces I didn't get see much of the
movie.

And then I got home and went to the message board and you all confirmed in
words all that I was feeling in that theater. So, with all of that said I
want to say to you, thank you. Thank you for crowding into those theaters.
Thank for dealing with the headaches. Thank you for fighting your way
across town. Thank you for showing up. Thank you for the number one movie
in America.

You did that and believe me--all of the ones that I mentioned at the top
of this email are shaking their heads wondering why their weapons didn't
prosper.

Truly Grateful,

Tyler Perry

Congratulations to everyone involved in making this movie.

They were working hard to promote this movie and I'm glad that their efforts paid off.

They deserve it.

My Uncle & I went to see the movie today!!! And it is FABULOUS!!! My uncle really liked it too, so it is a multi-gender film!!

Janet was Phenomenal!! Her best since Poetic Justice!! Congratulations to Janet, Jill, Tyler and the whole cast for a job well done!!! :flowers: :heart:

All HAIL Janet and Tyler Perry.

Number 1, baby!

You can't beat that.

TP -- keep it going man. Bring Mike into the mix. Make a movie that will represent Mike to the fullest.

You can do this....

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tyler and Janet and the whole cast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see it...

I was gonna write this movie off when it first heard about it but after I saw the preview I was like "I think I wanta see that." The more it was advertised the more I wanted to see it. I didn't go, but my sis did. She said a tear rolled down. I am so glad that this movie went to number # 1. Blew michael clayton out the water. Now take that mainstream. :pth:

so does janet have a major role in the film. havnt really being following info about the movie.

so does janet have a major role in the film. havnt really being following info about the movie.[/b]
Janet does have a major role in the film, the entire movie is based on something started by her character.

so does janet have a major role in the film. havnt really being following info about the movie.[/b]
Janet does have a major role in the film, the entire movie is based on something started by her character.

thanks. wonder if it will come out over here. is it kinda like a soul food movie?

thanks. wonder if it will come out over here. is it kinda like a soul food movie?

thanks. wonder if it will come out over here. is it kinda like a soul food movie?[/b]
It's about four couples who are married w/ problems and they go way for a weekend or week to work them out

thanks. wonder if it will come out over here. is it kinda like a soul food movie?[/b]
It's about four couples who are married w/ problems and they go way for a weekend or week to work them out

Tyler Perry is the truth Congradulations. He still hasn't gotten his due but there ain't another film-maker quite like him going today. congrads to the cast as well.

Tyler Perry is the truth Congradulations. He still hasn't gotten his due but there ain't another film-maker quite like him going today. congrads to the cast as well.

Back