Jackson 5 Songs that Lifted My Spirits as a Kid in the 60s and 70s

SoS

Premium Member
Donations
$15.00
I'll start with this one - it is awesome!! Its called LOVE SONG

If you haven't heard it, you will love it! Michael's voice ... ah!!! :wub:

One of those great Michael/Jermaine duets ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiWeSB1LjhU

I hope the new generation likes it, its such a great song to me :wub:

If anyone has any feel free to jump in! :D

These are just my personal faves!

more later ...

Wish I was a kid during the Jackson 5 era like my mom was. I'd say my favorite Jackson 5 song is probably The Love You Save. :)

I know i wish i was kid during the J5 era too :) There's alot of J5 songs that i love but one i've been listening to alot recently is 'Darling Dear'. Michael's voice and that bassline...Amazing. I love the 'Stripped Mix' of it as much as the original.

I like the older songs when he is first testing out his new voice like Dancing Machine and I absolutely love Blame it on the Boogie.....the ad libs on the end of that song are about as good as any he ever did

whoops I guess Blame it on the bOogie isnt a J5 song technically

Lol i wasn't alive in the 60's or 70's but i love this song
Mama's Pearl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf0Tu4zI0X0

and love when they performed it and lead into the love you save :wub:
Mama's Pearl/The Love You Save:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQYzMcVYm-U
ooooo Mama's Pearl Yes!! I was 9! :giggle: It was on the Third Album which was actually my own personal first album lol ohh I just LOVED it to no end. :wub:

To this day, Jermaine's rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Water is the best I've ever heard and that's the truth. He had that 'old soul' quality too. I wish he'd embraced his own talent as much as he seemed to embrace Michael's. He did My Cherie Armour like no other also.

Everything that was done before, the Jackson 5 did all of them better!

Stevie's My Cherie Amour is wonderful ... but for us kids...the Jackson 5's was amazing and the background where they repeat "my Cherie Amour" real fast is so cute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLYdXVDuirs

compare to Stevie's which is CLASSIC in itself!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQiKAVwKOOY

Wish I was a kid during the Jackson 5 era like my mom was. I'd say my favorite Jackson 5 song is probably The Love You Save. :)
oh yes, I have to say it truly was a special time. I was 8 and 9 when The Love You Save was popular! Everyone made up little dance steps to all the Jackson Five's hits :giggle: I remember on the line, "when Benji held your hand he felt ... (we'd put our hand out and jerk it back real quick on ...) "electricity" :lol:

I dunno ... maybe the J5 did that too, I don't remember, but we had all kinds of little corny moves :blush:

I know i wish i was kid during the J5 era too :) There's alot of J5 songs that i love but one i've been listening to alot recently is 'Darling Dear'. Michael's voice and that bassline...Amazing. I love the 'Stripped Mix' of it as much as the original.
oh yesssss, it really was special to see kids our own ages doing what the grown up acts were doing and everything the Jackson 5 covered was BETTER than the original versions ... unlike acts today. Makes me just wish nobody would cover anything cause they always manage to mess up something ... lyrics, music...something!

Oh yes, Darlin' Dear :wub:

I can't help having a 'story' for just about every song :giggle:

It brings back so many special memories :wub: and it seems like it was IONS ago!! :bugeyed

I'll Be There

I love that song.
ohh yes, I remember, I was 9 and I asked my mother, "mama, what's a PACK?" She said, "a WHAT??" I said, "a PACK, you know like you and I must make a PACK" :giggle: and of course she told me its a promise... and its a PACT.

One of the most interesting things about being there in those days was it was also near the time Motown and other acts had made a lot of songs which were recent hits that the J5 remade.

Sly and the Family Stone's STAND was classic, UNduplicatable!!

But Michael's and his brothers in many ways was even BETTER! ALSO unduplicatable!

Sly & the Family Stone
Stand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttbtLi_E5M8

Here's some nice footage of the Jackson 5 before they perform Stand Live! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUdo4MpIOSI

I'm in a mood to hear Maybe Tomorrow - like so many of their songs, it was one of a kind :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atINVA6my08

ohh yes, I remember, I was 9 and I asked my mother, "mama, what's a PACK?" She said, "a WHAT??" I said, "a PACK, you know like you and I must make a PACK" :giggle: and of course she told me its a promise... and its a PACT.

This is too cute! And because he sings the word like PACK instead of PACT without the T at the end that's exactly what it sounds like... you and I must make a PACK! Too cute!

I can't lie, I'm not really that big into the J5 stuff. Not that I don't love the songs that were released as singles and were very popular, the ones that we all know, but I just haven't delved too deeply into their other J5 material. So thanks for starting this thread. Love Song is adorable.

I'm a child of the 70s so I LOVE all the mid/late 70s and early 80s Jacksons stuff. Funky stuff like Get it Together and Dancing Machine and All I Do Is Think Of You and Show You The Way To Go and Even Though You're Gone and basically every single song from Destiny and Triumph! Love all of it!

This is too cute! And because he sings the word like PACK instead of PACT without the T at the end that's exactly what it sounds like... you and I must make a PACK! Too cute!

I can't lie, I'm not really that big into the J5 stuff. Not that I don't love the songs that were released as singles and were very popular, the ones that we all know, but I just haven't delved too deeply into their other J5 material. So thanks for starting this thread. Love Song is adorable.

I'm a child of the 70s so I LOVE all the mid/late 70s and early 80s Jacksons stuff. Funky stuff like Get it Together and Dancing Machine and All I Do Is Think Of You and Show You The Way To Go and Even Though You're Gone and basically every single song from Destiny and Triumph! Love all of it!
Thanks, so glad u could appreciate my little story. :giggle:

oh my goodness those songs you mentioned ... :wub:

I remember me and my little girlfriends always had a singing group since I was 9. Ironically I was the only one in the group who was NOT a singer :giggle: but I am also the only one in the group who went around singing ALL THE TIME ... so girls who could really sing always wanted me to sing with them ... and we put on a show at a bar-be-que once and we did Get It Together ... three 12 year old girls dressed in white pullover (IZod type) shirts and blue and white checkered pants ..

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks for the memoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez :giggle:

I wish this weren't the truth but I just can't stand any other version of All I Do Is Think Of You ... they messed up the lyrics for one thing and nothing compares to the original ... and its been done (badly imho) like 3 times!!

There's only 1 :wub:

here it is with their precision in performance

Last edited:
I Wanna Be Where You Are is my all-time favorite J5 song!
Hands down!
oh yes!!!

"you don't have to worry cause I'm cominnnn'!!!!!" :listeningtomusic:

its not on youtube! :(

Well here's another that was SO amazing to me in a different way since its a ballad :wub: I played this song to NO END as a tween

Again with Michael and Jermaine working outstandingly well together! :)

ohhhhhh I just loved this song :wub: Touch

AWESOME pics of the family in this clip too!

I Wanna Be Where You Are is my all-time favorite J5 song!
Hands down!
Actually, 'I Wanna Be Where You Are' is a Michael Jackson solo. ;)

Some of my fave J5 songs are:

Can You Remember
Their cover of The Delfonics' Ready or Not (Here I Come)
Never Can Say Goodbye
The Wall
Just Because I Love You
To Know
LTTW
Darling Dear of course.
Don't Say Goodbye Again

Heaps more where that came from.

I remember me and my little girlfriends always had a singing group since I was 9. Ironically I was the only one in the group who was NOT a singer :giggle: but I am also the only one in the group who went around singing ALL THE TIME ... so girls who could really sing always wanted me to sing with them ... and we put on a show at a bar-be-que once and we did Get It Together ... three 12 year old girls dressed in white pullover (IZod type) shirts and blue and white checkered pants ..

I wish this weren't the truth but I just can't stand any other version of All I Do Is Think Of You ... they messed up the lyrics for one thing and nothing compares to the original ... and its been done (badly imho) like 3 times!!

Im with you on that...Troop's version of "All I Do Is Think Of You" was ok and B5's was not ok lol But like you said, nothing compares to the original. This song actually reminds me of this girl i use to like back in high school.... "I can't wait to get to school each daaaayyyyy, And wait for you to pass myyyy waaaaayyyyy..." :)

Yes that is definitely Soul Train! :lol:

I was on youtube watching this last week and could NOT believe the amount of people who thought it was a TROOP song! I was SHOCKED!!! I Remember hearing the Troop version back in the day and thinking NO WAY this is an original song, so I looked it up... and I was right! I LOVE Mike here is is SUCH a cute little teenager, and such a showman! I've never even heard the B5 version. I don't need to. I don't even know what a B5 is.

oh yes!!!

"you don't have to worry cause I'm cominnnn'!!!!!" :listeningtomusic:

its not on youtube! :(

Well here's another that was SO amazing to me in a different way since its a ballad :wub: I played this song to NO END as a tween

Again with Michael and Jermaine working outstandingly well together! :)

ohhhhhh I just loved this song :wub: Touch

AWESOME pics of the family in this clip too!

Someone from this board introduced me to Touch this week I'd never heard it before. I was surprised that these lyrics were being sung by Michael and he was sooo young. I almost COULDN'T listen to it, I was kinda embarrassed. I wonder how he must have felt singing such a mature song at that age...

Actually, 'I Wanna Be Where You Are' is a Michael Jackson solo. ;)

Some of my fave J5 songs are:

Can You Remember
Their cover of The Delfonics' Ready or Not (Here I Come)
Never Can Say Goodbye
The Wall
Just Because I Love You
To Know
LTTW
Darling Dear of course.
Don't Say Goodbye Again

Heaps more where that came from.

ooooooooooooooo Can You Remember !! Thanks for mentioning that one!!! :D :wub: I love all those but I got stuck at this one :wub:

Can You Remember:

Im with you on that...Troop's version of "All I Do Is Think Of You" was ok and B5's was not ok lol But like you said, nothing compares to the original. This song actually reminds me of this girl i use to like back in high school.... "I can't wait to get to school each daaaayyyyy, And wait for you to pass myyyy waaaaayyyyy..." :)
aw!! :wub: ^ :giggle: sweeeet

Here ya go, kicks in around 3:38
oooooooh!!:wild:

Thank you!!!!! *frantically blows kisses!!* :D :smilerolleyes:

I luv Body Language. luv it luv it luv it..

oh YES!!

:listeningtomusic: "let your movin' tell your secrecy within ... a' body language ... BOteeee LAAAANguage let your body tell the stOry if ya can"

:giggle: my voice .. sorry

Last edited:
Here ya go, kicks in around 3:38

OMG!! That is FRENZY inducing!!! The girls in the audience are losing their minds! Wow, to be around during that time must have been so wonderful! Thank you for posting it. This is going in my youtube favorites... :heart:

Everytime they ever appeared anywhere or even made a new record, it was just like Christmas morning all over again. Anticipation and excitement was all you could feel.

... the younger we were there was just something about their concentrated energy. . . was just so ... moving and stirring ... just made you wanna dance and shout! :wub:

I can't stop playing that medley!! :wild:

oooooooh!!:wild:

Thank you!!!!! *frantically blows kisses!!* :D :smilerolleyes:

OMG!! That is FRENZY inducing!!! The girls in the audience are losing their minds! Wow, to be around during that time must have been so wonderful! Thank you for posting it. This is going in my youtube favorites... :heart:

You're both very welcome...I know i kept playing it over and over when i found it too lol.
I can only imagine being around at that time, STATEofSHOCK you are very very lucky :)

^ yes I do feel very blessed, the era I was born in, not just the J5 although they were an enormous part of an era that changed the world in every way

I do feel so blessed :wub:

Well. I guess that calls for another song!! :wild:

You and HeartbreakHotelMJJ love this one too I'll bet. I know nothing could have stopped me from playing this song each and every day!!! :dance:

ah and this footage :dropdead:

I love the J5! Pure funky and soul power....

I love all their famous songs but they also have so many under-rated songs... unfortunately such as Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, I dont know why I love you, I was made to love her, Ain't nothing like the real thing, Darling Dear...etc. Discovering these songs were like a hidden treasure for me. It's just really beautiful... It has so much emotions, and soul which the current music of today is lacking.

^ yes I do feel very blessed, the era I was born in, not just the J5 although they were an enormous part of an era that changed the world in every way

You and HeartbreakHotelMJJ love this one too I'll bet. I know nothing could have stopped me from playing this song each and every day!!! :dance:

For someone who didn't want to do the variety show you wouldn't know it because he looks like he's having a grand old time up there. Such a young superstar! I have a feeling that even though he didn't want to do the shows, once he got on stage he gave it everything and that is clear in the video you just posted. I love it...

This is another one I love from the variety show. I love the performance, the talking at the end and then he introduces his sisters. ADORABLE!! He looks about 6 feet tall with those long legs. I'm in looooove! :heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXrEqHJrPk

I dunno how to embed the videos like you guys did above. :(

I was out earlier today and was thinking about this conversation we're having. I went to visit my parents and pulled out some of my dad's old records. I was grooving! I miss the scratchyness of records everyone is so concerned about clear quality but there is something about putting a needle on a record and hearing that scratchy sound that I miss.

I love the J5! Pure funky and soul power....

I love all their famous songs but they also have so many under-rated songs... unfortunately such as Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, I dont know why I love you, I was made to love her, Ain't nothing like the real thing, Darling Dear...etc. Discovering these songs were like a hidden treasure for me. It's just really beautiful... It has so much emotions, and soul which the current music of today is lacking.

Current music is so disappointing. :( I hate to say that but there is very of today's music that I would say that I listen. My iPod is filled with Michael of course and mostly music from the 80s and 90s.

Yes that was such a great era you were born...I mean the music alone of that time was amazing. If only artists of today put as much soul/passion/creativity into their music as artists of the past did then the radio might be more listenable lol

And you are correct, i love "Forever Came Today". I think at one point i had it on repeat for like 2 or 3 days straight lol

Current music is so disappointing. :( I hate to say that but there is very of today's music that I would say that I listen. My iPod is filled with Michael of course and mostly music from the 80s and 90s.

Yeah i agree with you...My iPod is filled with music from the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's and very little of current music. I don't know it just seems like nobody is interested in making music that'll be around for years, current artists just wanna make a hot song that will be around for maybe a month but don't care as long as they get that check.

Back