A Past "Do or Die" quote from Michael! Coincidence or Clue?

Moddie777

Proud Member
I picked up the book "Moonwalk", in hopes to find something I read years earlier to corroborate a post I made in the Michaelmania section, when with the angle I was holding the book, the pages flew open and landed in chapter 5 page 198.

I was creeped out at the words my eyes immediately saw: do or die

Michael is writing about the creative work behind the success of "Thriller".

Here's the complete quote from Michael himself:

" Eventually we came under TREMENDOUS pressure from our record company to finish Thriller. When a record company RUSHES you, they REALLY rush you, and they were rushing us hard on Thriller. They said it had to be ready on a certain date, "DO or DIE".

Michael Jackson 1988

With the most recent "do or die" quote that went missing on occasion after MJ's murdrer, do you think this is merely a coincidence or was our Michael trying to give us insight (clues) about the Executives who were in control of his career and how it really works behind the scenes when multi-millions of dollars are at stake.

Many of us have come to believe, they have been after MJ long before the 2005 trial and the 92 allegations. Could this be around the beginning time of his troubles, during the Thriller Era or when Moonwalk was published?

When I substitute the word "Thriller" with the business name of the most recent venture MJ was to undertake, I get a feeling I wish, I didn't have.

Can we ignore this and brush it off or is this another significant clue about the ruthlessness that constantly surrounded Michael's career?

If Michael wasn't already deceased, I would be able to brush this off as nothing much.

But now...

I think that AEG pushed Michael so hard with This Is It, that it got to the DO OR DIE point, and we all know what happened...

So in other words are you guys saying this is no coincidence?

This is what MJ goes on to write in MOONWALK on same page 198, right after the initial post I quoted.

" So we went through a period where we were BREAKING OUR BACKS to get the album done by THEIR deadline".

Michael Jackson 1988

Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it?

Yes Moddie, I certainly believe in coincidence--and that this page would fly open and Michael's words would echo those of one of the sinister plotters in his murder does not surprise me. I have felt right along that Michael is guiding us. Here are the words of Randy Phillips at the end of May, 2009:

'The concerts, Phillips acknowledged, are a do-or-die moment for Jackson. "If it doesn't happen, it would be a major problem for him career-wise in a way that it hasn't been in the past," he said.'

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/31/entertainment/et-michael-jackson31?pg=5

Michael, don't worry--we hear you loud and clear!!!!

Thank you dirtydiana27!

I believe Michael's spirit is Guiding us through this entire process.

For those of us who can handle the ugly truth, I think Michael's presence is coming through very strong.

He left clues EVERYWHERE, didn't he?

Damn. My heart aches for his pain and suffering.

I think that AEG pushed Michael so hard with This Is It, that it got to the DO OR DIE point, and we all know what happened...

And apparently from his own past words, this is not the first time our Michael has felt "Pushed" by Music Industry Executives.

Excellent observation. I would love to go into a conversation that I had with MJ in 2002 but I really can't. Lets just say that Michael felt pushed and crammed into a corner and was intimidated by Sony to the point that he had to act. Hence the worldwide Sony protests regarding the zero promotion of Invincible.

It was more than just no promotion for Invincible though.

Sony rejected the 1999 album Michael produced.
Sony wouldn't promote Invincible.
Sony wouldn't release the singles Michael wanted. (MJ wanted Unbreakable first and didnt want Cry released 2nd)
Sony wouldn't release 'What More Can I Give'.
Sony wouldn't agree to give Michael his masters back in 3 years. They wanted and got 7 years (2009).
Sony wouldn't release 'What More Can I Give' again after Hurricane Katrina.

And this is just what we know.

Excellent observation. I would love to go into a conversation that I had with MJ in 2002 but I really can't. Lets just say that Michael felt pushed and crammed into a corner and was intimidated by Sony to the point that he had to act. Hence the worldwide Sony protests regarding the zero promotion of Invincible.

This post just sent a chill up my spin!

I believe every word of it.

I remember years ago, people would come online and say very random things about the "inside" of Michael's business affairs, I could tell, they KNEW THE BUSINESS and how it REALLY worked and it would always leave me with an UNEASY feeling for Michael. The first time I saw this was in the Sony chatroom. But it did not stop there. Whomever it was wanted us to know/believe, Michael was having an ongoing fight with his record company and MJ felt powerless according to what they would post.

Not long after that, the chatroom was shut down.

The bottom of pg 198 in Moonwalk:

" We had been under ENROUMOUS pressure because while we were trying to finish Thriller we also had been working on ET storybook, and there had been deadline PRESSURE on that as well. ALL these people were FIGHTING back and forth with each other...." He wraps up that sentence with a brief mention about the mixes.

Notice how he writes the word "pressure" in one paragraph twice, to describe the energy he was feeling. Look like it was important for him to get this across, doesn't it?

He tells us a little more of what he was dealing with behind the scenes on page 199.

"There was a bit of yelling and screaming from the record people..."

Michael Jackson 1988

With this kind of stuff going on behind the scenes with the making of Thriller, Long before the historic night of 8 grammy wins that started the whole phenomenon and long before the purchase of the Sony/ATV Cataloge, Which began Music Industry types treating him like a BRAND instead of a human being, We can only imagine what Michael had to endure in the latter years from Music Executives especially with the reported worth of his assets.

If the making of Thriller all those years ago brought out this kind of behavior from his handlers of that era, what should we expect from his current handlers with the "This is it" project?

There was definately more at stake with the latter.

Last edited:
At the top of page 282 near the end he tells us how he tries to make the "pressures" he is feeling work in his favor. He writes:

"If your're under pressure, play off that pressure and use it to advantage to make whatever your're doing better. Performers OWE it to "people" to be strong and fair".

Doesn't this kinda remind you of something that took place in conversations on the board not so long ago? In regard to how he handled the realization of doing the shows his handlers wanted him to do.
Did the actions or words from his handlers persuade him to feel he "owed" them and had better do ALL these shows?( ADDED THIS SENTENCE when editing).

The following partial paragraph is written directly after the above quote from page 282.

~~~It is the most tragic thing I have read in this book( especially now, with what we are dealing with).~~~

"Often in the past performers have been tragic figures. A lot of the truly great people have SUFFERED or DIED because of PRESSURE and drugs, especially liquor. Its so sad. You feel cheated as a fan that you didn't get to watch them evolve as they grew older".

Michael Jackson 1988

Why after writing about pressure would he began the very next paragraph writing about death?

In Michael's world in 1988 did one go hand in hand with the other?

Last edited:
Yes, I totally believe they did go hand in hand,in relation to PRESSURE, that ultimately brings us back to "DO or DIE" and as Michael said in 1988,"A lot of the truly great people have suffered or died because of PRESSURE and drugs..."

Wow.

Moddie, this is great what you're doing. Its almost as if he knew, He knew but the powers were too powerful. He couldn't escape but I think he knew that. Michael wasn't going to go down without a fight, which is why I think he left so many clues behind.
Look at his Music Videos really....many times we see someone or a mass that are ALWAYS CHASING him.(i.e., smooth criminal, billie jean, etc.,) That aspect in certain videos always stuck out to me. And if it wasn't him being chased, he was chasing after something being held back from him. His videos either way almost always depicted a struggle, imo. I don't know if thats just me but that's just how I've always felt.

Last edited:
Yes, I totally believe they did go hand in hand,in relation to PRESSURE, that ultimately brings us back to "DO or DIE" and as Michael said in 1988,"A lot of the truly great people have suffered or died because of PRESSURE and drugs..."

Wow.

Moddie, this is great what you're doing. Its almost as if he knew, He knew but the powers were too powerful. He couldn't escape but I think he knew that. Michael wasn't going to go down without a fight, which is why I think he left so many clues behind.
Look at his Music Videos really....many times we see someone or a mass that are ALWAYS CHASING him.(i.e., smooth criminal, billie jean, etc.,) That aspect in certain videos always stuck out to me. And if it wasn't him being chased, he was chasing after something being held back from him. His videos either way almost always depicted a struggle, imo. I don't know if thats just me but that's just how I've always felt.

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo! MJJ7777!

Michael knew it! and I believe the quotes from Moonwalk pointed out in this thread is proof of that!

He definately left clues, all over the place!

Damn them who hurt him!

This was 1988 I am quoting from! The pain and torment our Michael must've have felt.....

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo! MJJ7777!

Michael knew it! and I believe the quotes from Moonwalk pointed out in this thread is proof of that!

He definately left clues, all over the place!

Damn them who hurt him!

This was 1988 I am quoting from! The pain and torment our Michael must've have felt.....

Without ignoring the present, We have to revisit the past. Even though it was written in 1988...it could almost pass as being written NOW, which is why I think its very chilling to read.

I honestly don't know how Michael mustered up the strength to live through each and every day. It had to be God-given.

Last edited:
Without ignoring the present, We have to revisit the past. Even though it was written in 1988...it could almost pass as being written NOW, which is why I think its very chilling to read.

I agree with you completely!

Yes, its very chilling, which is why I couldn't put down the book after first noticing after all these years the words: do or die.

Whoever would've thought we would find these clues from MOONWALK!

Yes, its very chilling, which is why I couldn't put down the book after first noticing after all these years the words: do or die.

Well it just goes to show that the truth can be found in the most unlikeliest of places.

Honestly,up and till now I dismissed "MoonWalk" as simply being a standard biography. I completely forgot Michael said these things...nor would I quickly make a connection, like you said...of all things, Moonwalk?

It was staring us right in the face, the whole time. That and many other things we aren't aware of yet.

Well it just goes to show that the truth can be found in the most unlikeliest of places.

Honestly,up and till now I dismissed "MoonWalk" as simply being a standard biography. I completely forgot Michael said these things...nor would I quickly make a connection, like you said...of all things, Moonwalk?

It was staring us right in the face, the whole time. That and many other things we aren't aware of yet.

My exact sentiments!

I could not have said it any better.

Thank you MJJ7777.

Its wayyyyyyy past my bedtime now.

Nighty night.

Michael was so insightful he was literally foretelling his future within his own lyrics and words.
It's so sad...remember the lyrics of Morphine? remember his words to LMP about Elvis' death?

Not only was Michael insightful but he was also very Clever too.

21 years ago( 1988), at age 29, he knew the importance of making sure to have this WRITTEN DOWN in a form that could never be disputed or go missing. He must have known
in his absence one day people would come back gravitating to his work and looking for answers, clues, closure or some type of better understanding into who he really was and what was really happening in his life.

He knew what he was doing with the book "Moonwalk".

This is what MJ goes on to write in MOONWALK on same page 198, right after the initial post I quoted.

" So we went through a period where we were BREAKING OUR BACKS to get the album done by THEIR deadline".

Michael Jackson 1988

Sounds kind of familiar doesn't it?

he always express how the music industry was and no body paid attention i sure did what my brother is about to go through it going to be hard but as long as he has god and his family he will be find this industry doesn't care about these artist period the head people in charge is all about milking a dollar out of u

Not only was Michael insightful but he was also very Clever too.

21 years ago( 1988), at age 29, he knew the importance of making sure to have this WRITTEN DOWN in a form that could never be disputed or go missing. He must have known
in his absence one day people would come back gravitating to his work and looking for answers, clues, closure or some type of better understanding into who he really was and what was really happening in his life.

He knew what he was doing with the book "Moonwalk".

Although Moonwalk was written way back,I wonder if Mike is already giving out some clues to his fans.He sure passes out the idea that things can be rightful in life. But there is definitely so much to read between the lines!
Even more so in Dancing the dream..he literally pours his soul out!

This is all very chilling. All of you guys observations are right on the mark. Alot of time artists feel things before they can pinpoint what it is too. MJ has left many clues for us, we just need to put it together.

I need to go read Moonwalk again.

Me too...
I was also wondering about the lyrics of his songs,especially the ones from Dangerous and on.
There must be stuff hidden in there.

he always express how the music industry was and no body paid attention i sure did what my brother is about to go through it going to be hard but as long as he has god and his family he will be find this industry doesn't care about these artist period the head people in charge is all about milking a dollar out of u

Yes, he sure did express many insightful things about the industry through the years and it wasn't so pretty either.

Maybe we could find more and post it all in here?

Although Moonwalk was written way back,I wonder if Mike is already giving out some clues to his fans.He sure passes out the idea that things can be rightful in life. But there is definitely so much to read between the lines!
Even more so in Dancing the dream..he literally pours his soul out!

I agree with what you said about "Dancing the Dream".

He does pour out his romantic soul alot in that book.

I have interpreted several of his poems for a thread in Michaelmania, but at that time I was only looking for clues of a relationship.

I need to go take a deeper look at it for the angle of his buisness relationship w/his handlers and Music Executors.

Back