A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality

If Michael was here I don't know if this would be released at all to be honest. Everybody has to do what is right for them.

Michael wouldn't of released it. He HATED concerts, he felt they were full of imperfections. I think that if he had of lived, this all wouldn't of been seen or heard for another 30-50 years

You can't have a Blu-Ray release of a film that is from the 80's... The Quality cannot be improved enough. Im sorry that you cannot understand that a Blu-Ray quality Bad concert is impossible, but thats the truth. Deal with it

It's not impossible at all. If it was recorded on 35mm or 16mm film, it can be released on Blu-Ray. The have even released old Charlie Chaplie films on Blu-Ray. Well, in the case that the film tapes are lost, a BluRay release it's obviously impossible... unless Indiana Jones or Chuck Norris find them :D

Well, it may be obvious, it's also almost surrealistic (the tapes of the most important entertainer in the world, just can't be found). One more time, fiction seems to be surpassed by reality :D

When you imagine the quantity of things MJ must have accumulated over the years, it's not so surreal that even important things were displaced or even tossed. He was constantly inundated with gifts. Just the video of the Christmas presents he received when Prince was about two showed there was barely floorspace, and that was just for a single Christmas. He appeared to film his children a lot and must have hundreds of videos of them. He was also a major movie buff and probably had thousands of those around. It's very conceivable movies, home videos, his concerts and other films all got lumped together. I'd think he'd need a few airplane hangers to keep everything he received in order and a full timer archiving it all.

It's not impossible at all. If it was recorded on 35mm or 16mm film, it can be released on Blu-Ray. The have even released old Charlie Chaplie films on Blu-Ray. Well, in the case that the film tapes are lost, a BluRay release it's obviously impossible... unless Indiana Jones or Chuck Norris find them :D

Your assumption that a). The tapes still exist and b). The Estate have them. Are two assumptions that are unfounded, if they had them, they would be releasing them. Simple

Michael wouldn't of released it. He HATED concerts, he felt they were full of imperfections. I think that if he had of lived, this all wouldn't of been seen or heard for another 30-50 years

Maybe yeah because he could have done it when he was here as many years went by. I am going to treasure this however it is.

Your assumption that a). The tapes still exist and b). The Estate have them. Are two assumptions that are unfounded, if they had them, they would be releasing them. Simple

I'm just hoping Indy will find them :)

Depressing, right? This means that we might never see a decent HQ quality ever released. And if the video quality is decent on future concert releases, the audio will be shit (like they said).

35mm and 16mm I feel we can just forget about since The Estate didn't even mention them.

Yes it is. Such a chaos. But im sure the negatives or masters are at noctrun. They stay at the production company. Just like with movie negatives. Masters are created and given to the studios that distribute the movie. Even the director dont know where the negatives are. Sometimes studios refuse to give the director to create new cut.
One movie can be distributed by two studios. Cause in US let say universal has the rights and in europe paramounth. So different masters exist and new can be afforded.
I telling you ive read somy stories how negatives cant be found, but some master pops-out found unexpected, good enough for remasteterisation.
So im sure thats how is with michaels concerts. To me wasnt that unbelivale that michael couldnt hold track of every footage. But if Noctrum dont has them anymore, that is unbelivable to me.

They didnt adress the film recordings at all, just about the tapes given to michael.
So that needs to be cleared too.

I think michael never afforded the films, cause (sd)master tapes is what he needs for releases.

So dont give up.

I know its all speculation im doing and act like smart-ass. But not every hope is lost.

I've always believed in the Estate, they have done a superb job for Michael. I am very grateful to Branca, etal for their prompt response to this matter. They are obviously listening to the fans and doing everything in their power to bring us a magical Michael experience in every turn. Awesome job Estate, I have faith in you!

1. Michael would never release something like Vision DVD and this DVD sourced from VHS
2. They could have released live Wembley CD and any other show (they said that they have Europe and US shows on master tapes but with low sound quality) on DVD - because the picture is most important when you watch DVD.

That is my opinion. I think they did it wrong. I would actually prefer no DVD at all than low quality DVD. And Yokohama official DVD or blu-ray would be great at this situation. Again just my opinion.

Some of you say "You wanted Wembley.. Everyone said no Yokohama, Everyone wanted second leg...". Well if they sent this letter before the announcement and if we knew the situation then many of us would have different opinion about this.

1. Michael would never release something like Vision DVD and this DVD sourced from VHS
2. They could have released live Wembley CD and any other show (they said that they have Europe and US shows on master tapes but with low sound quality) on DVD - because the picture is most important when you watch DVD.

That is my opinion. I think they did it wrong. I would actually prefer no DVD at all than low quality DVD. And Yokohama official DVD or blu-ray would be great at this situation. Again just my opinion.

Some of you say "You wanted Wembley.. Everyone said no Yokohama, Everyone wanted second leg...". Well if they sent this letter before the announcement and if we knew the situation then many of us would have different opinion about this.

REALLY?! Jeez... no sir, the Quality isn't "bad", it's going to be average. That is far better than anything else The Estate can give us. Get over it and stop ruining the experience, be HAPPY that we actually GET a DVD

Good job from the Estate for releasing all that information! They are doing the very best they can it seems, and we have no reason to complain.

But it just begs the question - why weren't all the master recordings stored properly back in the day?! It is such a shame because the Bad Tour was Michael Jackson at his peak. It is also amazing that only one show (as far as the Estate is aware) was recorded to multi-tracks.

Let's hope that the video footage quality for the Wembley DVD is adequate. I also think the Estate were right to release a DVD where multi-track audio recordings are available, i.e the 16th July Wembley gig. For a live DVD you really have to have good quality sound to capture the live experience.

once again I am at a state of neutrality over this statement.

Reminds me a lot of the statement done about "...." where many fans seemed to "turn around"

I'm more worried about the video transfer FORMAT such as not making it 16:9 or pitching things wrong or whatnot.

I'm so happy they responded, with the limited options available I think their decision was the right one by the fans. They have said a lab has been sourced to up the quality to the maximum level possible, so that may mean the snippet released is not from the final product.

What is depressing is the confirmation that Bad tour is never likely to get a Bluray release due to the poor quality audio on the Umatic tapes. This however, is not the Estate's fault, and I think the fans who were on path to boycott should rethink their decision.

I'm more worried about the video transfer FORMAT such as not making it 16:9 or pitching things wrong or whatnot.

Are you serious with the video format?
16:9 out of a 4:3 VHS copy would be a complete desaster in terms of picture quality. Either we would lose the outer part of the picture or the complete video is distorted due to stretching the picture horizontally.

Thanks Mr. Branca and Mr. McCain for addressing our concerns.

Life is full of regrets. All I can do now is not to think about what could have been.

I pray one day the film will resurface.

I wish they addressed whether or not TWYMMF was on it or not.

If it was not performed that night, obviously they essentially said they have some footage from other shows. They could TOTALLY throw that song in as a bonus feature!
And I don't think it's crazy to want some sort of behind the scenes footage, either.
But at this point, I'm just going nuts over THE WAY YOU MAKE ME FEEL.

If they wanna release something from the first gig it better be the red shirt.. We deserve a rare show with quality.. But thanks anyway.

That is so good to hear from the Estate. Sounds like they are doing everything possible to make it as best as the technology will allow them. So, I'm thankful for that. It's shocking to me though, considering Michael was the world's biggest superstar and all these things seem misplaced or gone. Mind boggling and very unfortunate. How could they have been so careless knowing the future value of those things?:eek:

Anyway, totally looking forward to the DVD!!:yes:

OH, and in regards to the Yokohama show they made:

They TOTALLY should have released BOTH shows :D

I would have loved a master copy that was re-mastered of Yokohama in addition to Wembley.
It could have shown fans how the tour progressed and changed.
And funny how he mentions Victory Tour. Still waiting on that release, too...

REALLY?! Jeez... no sir, the Quality isn't "bad", it's going to be average. That is far better than anything else The Estate can give us. Get over it and stop ruining the experience, be HAPPY that we actually GET a DVD

Why would I be happy that we actually GETTING a DVD? It's Michael Jackson we are talking about. Should we all be happy for the new albums in the future (like MICHAEL album), just because it is new MJ album. No. Michael Jackson deserves the best product and MJ fans deserve that too.

In my opinion no one should rush into pre-ordering before they release a trailer with actual DVD quality. I'll definitely buy standard 2CD edition, don't get me wrong, I'm not Sony boycotter or something. I just think, after seeing that trailer and TV clips of it, and reading a lot about restoring pricture from a VHS, that a final product won't be worth the money. I hope I'm wrong and that DVD will be great.

I can't believe we were this close not to get anything at all...Thank God MJ saved his VHS copy.
I know right....that just lets us know how many people had their hands on Michael's property..waaayyyy to many people had access to his stuff...and because they probably ran/took what they wanted it is sad that alot of the original footage is gone/in the possession of someone that for sure a slime bucket and think that Michael's property is their property. I just want to say Thank you to the Estate for all of their efforts in getting us this concert footage....and I am sure that they are doing the very best that they can to bring us the best quality that they can without distorting what is originally there and for that I will be forever grateful.

Mod Note Thread cleaned
all Casico track debates/ discussion have been removed from his thread
Please stay on topic and take that discussion to the appropricate forum

Also please watch your tone in this thread and how you reply or respond
to people you disagree with. If you cant be civil just dont post

Just to clarify my point from the other thread - I don't necessarily believe that it was nocturne that recorded the 35mm concert footage that was used for Moonwalker as it certainly wasn't filmed in the same way you typically saw from the jumbo screens. I'm also not sure they used 35mm film for their recordings of the shows. I could be wrong and it was Nocturne, but it was certainly a different crew to te one that filmed the regular concerts. So my question remains of where is this footage and how many shows were filmed in this manner.

Also... even if the umatic tapes are found, I'm still not sure that can be brought up to blu ray quality. We'd need the 16mm or 35mm film.

Also... I'd like to know what constitutes as "unusable" audio. Is it simply a case of the audio being a straight 2 track stereo recording, therefore offering no chance to properly mix the the audio of the show (which isn't so bad), or does it mean the audio is damaged?

Last edited:

well im going to say something and i dont want to sound rude with Michael, cauze only God knows how i love him, but when Michael was alive and thriller 25 came out,i was so disappointed , cauze we had the best selling album of all time 25 celebration and the only thing we had was a cd of remixes , no new dvd, no box set, no deluxe box set, no demos , and being honest the only remix i liked was P.Y.T with Mj and Will i am. i don't what happened maybe mike was tired or something , so i think the state is making a great jod with Bad25.

Well i certainly cannot believe there are people saying they rather have Yokohama released...if they'd sell that i'd take my eyes off with forks before seeing that for the 17865 th time. Just no.

They made the right decision, thats ALL they can do and its not even their fault, it wasnt them who lost the masters. Sadly this is how it is but at least they've been honest to us.

And different audio for a concert? No way. Not only it wouldnt synch, but also fans complain in Bucharest for not being one show alone...

They are doing the best possible, and I thank them for that. And even if the quality isnt great, I'll buy cause i feel i have to and i want to, they chose to release right now for us instead of waiting for some masters that might never show up..

Why would I be happy that we actually GETTING a DVD? It's Michael Jackson we are talking about. Should we all be happy for the new albums in the future (like MICHAEL album), just because it is new MJ album. No. Michael Jackson deserves the best product and MJ fans deserve that too.

In my opinion no one should rush into pre-ordering before they release a trailer with actual DVD quality. I'll definitely buy standard 2CD edition, don't get me wrong, I'm not Sony boycotter or something. I just think, after seeing that trailer and TV clips of it, and reading a lot about restoring pricture from a VHS, that a final product won't be worth the money. I hope I'm wrong and that DVD will be great.

I dont know OnirMJ. I disagree some what with you becuase I think the Quality will be exceptable and the Best
the Estate can offer from this VHS footage. We already know it's Not going to be HD or Bluray but Its not going
to be crap either. It will be a blessing to many fans. It will be The Best quality we can get form what they have
to work with. We have seen the miracles many fans have performed restoring MJ videos and the Estate are
hiring the best they can get to enhance that DVD.

Listen That concert on the MJ Black market if it was Available would probably sell for Hundreds of dollars even
unedited so to say $11.99 is to much for that Valuable content DVD is unreasonable IMO .. It's going to be the
best qualitythey can make it. I dont think they will do less than there best for Michael and his fanbase on this
release. It will be worth the "LOW" price of $11.99 they are asking . Myself I though it should have been priced
higher and I was suprised at the low price they were asking for that DVD. I really was. I would have paid much
more to get it. Im not going to quibble over $12 and no Im not rich by any means. I live on a low fixed income.
I understandthe value of a dollar.

Thanks to the state for the information, I hope you find the original masters and can make a blu ray wembley or any other bad tour 1988.

Thank you to the estate for letting us know what is goin on, we all appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back