A Michael Jackson Rock Album

I think the Estate should release an album with only rock songs (both released and unreleased).

Would be nice. - And include alternate versions of already released songs.

IDK... Michael is a very special artist for several reasons. One of them being - at least for me - that he was able to embrace and nail everything that he did, including music genres. Be it the songs, the sound or the performances, he had it all down to a tee.
Ususally you have a rock artist every once in a while having a nice soul song or vice versa and stuff. But with Michael it was the whole package. Not only nice, but mindblowing! Making one full album of only one genre (and Iam a rock chick :D ) kinda feels to me like putting him in a cage *shrugs*

I'd say just put all his work out there over the years, but not trapped in a box. That would insult him as an artist IMO.

Making one full album of only one genre (and I am a rock chick :D) kinda feels to me like putting him in a cage *shrugs*
David Bowie put out albums of a certain style, and then the next one would be something else. James Brown & Willie Nelson has released jazz albums, and Paul McCartney has put out electronic music under the name "The Fireman". Slash from Guns n Roses put out a smooth jazz song. Sting released an album of ancient traditional folk tunes and Phil Collins released a mostly instrumental big band jazz album. So it's not unheard of for an act mainly known for one genre doing something else.

IDK... Michael is a very special artist for several reasons. One of them being - at least for me - that he was able to embrace and nail everything that he did, including music genres. Be it the songs, the sound or the performances, he had it all down to a tee.
Ususally you have a rock artist every once in a while having a nice soul song or vice versa and stuff. But with Michael it was the whole package. Not only nice, but mindblowing! Making one full album of only one genre (and Iam a rock chick :D ) kinda feels to me like putting him in a cage *shrugs*

I'd say just put all his work out there over the years, but not trapped in a box. That would insult him as an artist IMO.
Agreed.:)

I always wish he had done an MTV unplugged album.
Minimal accompaniment, no dancing, just his voice and some strings/guitars or whatever. Songs like Human Nature, Lady in my life, Man in the Mirror and maybe some different arrangements of non ballads.

I ha e never gone through this discussion before. A entire album of rock would have been fantastic. And contrary to some opinions I believe it would have been a massive seller. It would have been fantastic!

I'd really have loved Michael to have done a whole album with Bill Bottrel producing.

I think those two had a great marriage and Bill definitely brought a rock sound that melded to Michael's soul and pop sensibilities.

I heard there was a falling out. Great shame.

I think rather than take pot shots at each other, we should realise Michael had incredible versatility and could do the rock voice and growl very well. But I don't think his first even rock themed song comes until Beat It. Give in to me, is probably the best rocked out song.

But at the end of the day, Michael was much more a Soul/R&B artist with a heavy pop feel. Even his rockiest songs, you can still dance too.

Back