A Place With No Name (Second Single from Xscape) Discussion

I thought the video was rubbish Looked some blokes holiday video where he got lucky on a beach in Tenerife. No way did it tempt me to a "place with no name". The video for "Hollywood" was far better with that wonderful dancer, I've forgotten her name, could watch it over and over. PWNN don't want to look at it again.

its just there was nothing there which fit the story of the song except for the Jeep Commercial.

This has been a very interesting topic and division among the fan community at far as I can see.

Some people (including me) mentioned how the song lyrics in this instance can be used to tell a story.. Jeep, flat tire, woman appearing in the fog, beautiful city,kids playing and so on.

However some other people pointed out that although other MJ songs also had stories in them they weren't presented literally in all the videos. For example in Billie Jean we don't see MJ meeting with that beauty queen or the woman showing him a picture of a baby crying with eyes like his. Similarly while Smooth criminal tells the story of poor Annie but the video is dancing in a club.

and yes there were some other MJ short films that the video showed a lot better fit with the lyrics such as thriller etc.

So is there a CORRECT formula for the best video? Probably not. Depending on how you approach to stuff you can make an argument for either alternative. So it would come to personal taste I would think.

Now I did say that personally I would have loved to see a script with actors that are almost literally acting the lyrics as my most wanted video option. I was also okay with animation (not hologram) and unseen footage. So while this is not my top choice, the unseen footage makes it get a star or two. This also gets a star because it does a whole better job of incorporating MJ into the video. For example most of the other videos involved a mix of MJ from videos and people doing MJ dances in MJ related clothing - hence made it look like a tribute video. Here we don't have that - and that's good. Man and the woman aren't in MJ clothing, they aren't doing MJ dances. The first half especially looks nicely incorporated together. MJ is in the dessert, they are in the dessert, clothing colors etc match. Second part - the part with the effects and such- I guess is to give the dance feeling. as far as the story line goes it's not literal but there are some elements that match such as (yes obviously) the jeep, the woman, fog (at one point), kissing/hugging, happiness.

At the end of the day it's all about personal taste. I wouldn't compare this to short films MJ released in his life time well because he's gone and no one could do what he would have done. I would only evaluate this as a posthumous video and compare it to other posthumous videos and by that standard I would say that this is the best posthumous video for me.

---------------------------

edited to add:

The unreleased behind the mask is the most creative given how they used masks to incorporate MJ into the video. However regardless of its creativity, it's just people dancing in a club.

Hollywood tonight does a good job of telling a story line which is somewhat close to the song lyrics, it turns to a tribute the moment she's dressed in a female version of a Billie Jean outfit and does MJ dances.

all of the rest of the videos are simply tribute videos. Don't get me wrong, They are warm and cute and filled with love but still a tribute.

Last edited:
Allusio;4036596 said:
^^^ Story of the video still can’t go without the song itself, no matter what, IMO.
So to me it looks like Michael is already in the place with no name and the man in Jeep is on the way… if I may say so.
That is.

Also in response to people asking for more footage with Naomi Cambell, I personally do not want her anywhere near any future products. Although, I used to be a fan of her style and beauty, this woman has proven herself to be a straight up b-e-a-t-c-h in my opinion. Just trying to keep it real

The use of Naomi Campbell would have just looked like an extension of ITC video, which would be even more off the story line than ever.

As Ivy said, I think the video could be open to so many interpretations depending on personal taste and how one wants to perceive it.

Reading some interpretations here, I could even change my mind and think that it actually does really follow the story line - just use the imagination! The man and the woman splashing and playing in the water - "Kids are laughin' and smilin', nothin' to fear"...Doesn't have to be "kids" in the literal sense. Just showing childlike innocence is the general idea shown....So I believe a lot of it could definitely work.

But either way, I think it's a HUGE improvement from the other posthumous videos so far.

The use of the unseen footage of MJ in ITC was perfect because of the desert style. It's a far better incorporation of him than some random footage of him in other videos that the world has already seen.

Fans wanted unseen footage - and we got it, and it works with the video perfectly. So I'm happy with it :)

Actually we asked for studio footage, didn't we?

In my opinion for a music video they should only use the studio footage if they have a footage of him singing the song in the video. Otherwise there would be serious sync problems (mouth movements not matching the song played) and it's a pet peeve of mine.

I guess another possible alternative is to do a mash up of private unseen footage of MJ (such as MJ just hanging, smiling etc) and put a song on it but I would think such video would probably work best for a slow song.

As Ivy said, I think the video could be open to so many interpretations depending on personal taste and how one wants to perceive it.

Reading some interpretations here, I could even change my mind and think that it actually does really follow the story line - just use the imagination! The man and the woman splashing and playing in the water - "Kids are laughin' and smilin', nothin' to fear"...Doesn't have to be "kids" in the literal sense. Just showing childlike innocence is the general idea shown....So I believe a lot of it could definitely work.

Well yes, after reading posts that sounded a bit disappointed for lack of real kids and flowers and trees, the whole images out of the song... I, just like Arklove says, thought : it's "imagination". That's what DANCE can be about. (I dance a lot!) I think this video is a bit dancing a dream... (Dancing The Dream!). Maybe... never mind, I just love dreaming that way :)...

Anyone notice that although the song title is a "A place with no name", Michael actually says "a place without no name" in the song? Although the meaning is essentially the same, it is an interesting play on words. It is one of the ways that Micael "Michaelized" the song

^^I called it "A Place Without No Name" until the Tracklist revealed that it will only be "A Place With No Name". I also called STTR "Rythm of Love", because i heard that Michael re-titled the song that way, and DYKWYCA was "DYKWYCA (12 o'clock)" for me.

Well, "Take me to a place with no name" would not have worked with the melody lol

NOW is the sink or swim time for this song. If you have some time, please, please request it on one or more of the radio stations in the "Have you requested Michael on radio" thread. By working together, we can help to avoid another Hollywood Tonight" type of poor chart performance

I like it. the best is it's not another tribute video. and the ITC outtakes are great and sexy.

I think the idea they had is the video to fit more to the ITC footage, than the storyline.

They could also do an alternative version with olny ITC outtakes.

Till now my rank of posthume videos:

BTM (unreleased alternative)
HT
APWNN
LNFSG
HMH

BTW if this is dubbed with the original version of the song, would fit better i think. this version is too electro for such warm sexy summer video.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson video 'A Place With No Name' debuts on Twitter with unseen footage
http://www.today.com/entertainment/new-michael-jackson-video-twitter-fresh-footage-1D80062789

Michael Jackson fans, it seems, never have to really say goodbye. On Wednesday night, the late musician's reps released "A Place With No Name," the first video from Jackson's latest posthumous album "XSCAPE," on Twitter — and the King of Pop even appears in it in never-before-released footage.
The song, which samples the 1971 hit "A Horse with No Name" by the band America, is a smooth dance tune — instantly catchy and fun, as was Jackson's style. The video, shot by Samuel Bayer in both black-and-white and color, is a desert-and-beach fantasy in which a man in a truck finds a writhing woman in white, picks her up, and frolics on the sand with her.
Throughout the video, Jackson pops up in candid shots, smiling in a hat and sunglasses and dancing in a white T-shirt; the black-and-white dancing images are clearly outtakes from his 1992 video, "In the Closet." He's clearly so on top of his game and having such a great time, it's easy to forget that the musician died in 2009.

The video has been re-tweeted more than 36,000 times (as of Thursday morning) and favorited by nearly as many viewers.

Long live the King of Pop!

BvAE0S4CAAEEpJ_.jpg

Vevo ‏@Vevo 5 h.

#VevoPremiere: Watch the new video from @michaeljackson, #APlaceWithNoName http://bit.ly/1ux3uuG We miss you, MJ!

BvBifkcIgAAztdX.jpg

The YouTube video has about 90K views so far with 97% likes. Several posters mentioned how much they liked the song and said that the King is back. However, there are also a lot of negative comments about the quality of the video. Some people feel it looks fan made and/or does not measure up to the lyrics and/or quality of Michael's previous videos. Still too early to tell if the video will fully catch fire in terms of the general public

One thing that I thought was an interesting (but probably unintentional) parallel with the original "In The Closet" short film is that both videos remove a verse from the original song. The video for In The Closet removed the 2nd verse and this new video removed the final verse.

Also, I understand why they purposely left out any footage of Naomi Campbell. but I thought it would've been neat it if they kept in even a little footage of them dancing together so it could be juxtaposed with the new couple dancing together, but I'm just nitpicking honestly. This short film was great, well-shot, and by far my favorite posthumous short film released so far. Let's hope that the Estate keeps putting out material like this in the near future!

I love the song it became a favorite of mine really fast when I got the album. I love seeing footage of Michael. The video I can't honestly say I love it. I don't hate it but I really don't get it. The story of it. It just reminded me of Beyoncé's Drunk in Love video to be honest. I hope the song will do well on the charts. I hope it's okay for me to say this.

I've just seen the new video and simply put, I like it. I would've loved it even more if more shots of Michael was included. :)

Don't you all just love his smile :D

God bless his beautiful spirit.

Comments on YouTube are mixed. Some of the negatives are acceptable, but a couple are exaggerated, like this one:

THEY ****ED THE SONG UP!!!!!!! HOW THE HELL U LEAVE OUT A PART IF THE BRIDGE AND WHATEVER ELSE, I LISTEN TO THUS SONG SO MUCH I KNOW WHEN SHIT IS WRONG, AND SHIT IS WRONG IN THIS BULL CRAP!!!!!!! MICHAEL WOULD HAVE NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER, LEAVE ANY PART OF THE SONG OUT AND HE WOULD'VE MADE A VIDEO THAT MADE SOME ****ING SENCE TO THE SONG!!! WHO EVERE MADE THIS VIDEO REALLY PISSED ME OFF
?

That guy knows nothing about single edits for sure....

I really like the video but I'm disappointed that there has been no official details of the single release date, if there will be an itunes ep and what tracks will be on cd. Surely this should have been done to capitalise in the buzz being caused by the video release and the Michael edition of sytycd.

They just mentioned this video (and showed clips of it) on the ABC Nightly News broadcast. I was just eating dinner and watching the news and here comes Michael. :) Nice surprise.

I loved it, my only disappointment was that I don't believe there was any unseen Michael footage, Unless I'm mistaken I am sure those images where in the making of ITC. The song is a favourite of mine as is this era of Michael, so I'm happy.

All things considered I think they did a great job.

Comments on YouTube are mixed. Some of the negatives are acceptable, but a couple are exaggerated, like this one:

?

That guy knows nothing about single edits for sure....

Yeah. That's why I ignore most YT comments. Unless a positive one catches my attention, or I feel I can add something of value to something negative somebody said. Other than that- whatever. I don't care what you have to say. (Not you GreenEyes... the people on YT, lol :p)

I've just seen the new video and simply put, I like it. I would've loved it even more if more shots of Michael was included. :)

Don't you all just love his smile :D

God bless his beautiful spirit.

One thing that I thought was an interesting (but probably unintentional) parallel with the original "In The Closet" short film is that both videos remove a verse from the original song. The video for In The Closet removed the 2nd verse and this new video removed the final verse.

Also, I understand why they purposely left out any footage of Naomi Campbell. but I thought it would've been neat it if they kept in even a little footage of them dancing together so it could be juxtaposed with the new couple dancing together, but I'm just nitpicking honestly. This short film was great, well-shot, and by far my favorite posthumous short film released so far. Let's hope that the Estate keeps putting out material like this in the near future!

They just mentioned this video (and showed clips of it) on the ABC Nightly News broadcast. I was just eating dinner and watching the news and here comes Michael. :) Nice surprise.

I saw it last night and I just loved it. I thought it was shot beautifully and the incorporation of Michael seemed seamless. I just loved the ITC short film; he looks sooo hot. The same here- that SMILE, God it just melts my heart- I love his hair pulled back and his outfit- too hot :swoon::swoon: Anyway, I think they also did a nice job with the story line; yes maybe it doesn't convey every lyric from the song but enough was done that you get the song and it works for me at least, and also remember how many of Michael's videos/short films are faithful to the storyline ? For a posthumous release - it is great- the best so far. Thank you Estate.

It was a better effort compared to the previous videos and I applauded the strategy to premiere it on twitter because it generated expectation but the dancers were so random. I hope the single helps the album to increase the sales.

You know the more I watch the video the more I think it truly stays pretty faithful to the storyline. I think it was nicely made. I've read some sarcastic remarks about it, but imo they have no merit -. Idk how you can say that the couple are a bunch of random dancers that don't have anything to do with the story when in reality they are the protagonists. Michael at times as I interpret it is the protagonist as well because it seems to me the guy could be Michael. And when he is standing there contemplating or fantasizing about this mysterious place with no name he is saying "taking me to the place without no name". The highway shots are amazing too it conveys this feeling that it is taking you to this mysterious place. Lots of symbolisms in this one, love it.

I saw it last night and I just loved it. I thought it was shot beautifully and the incorporation of Michael seemed seamless. I just loved the ITC short film; he looks sooo hot. The same here- that SMILE, God it just melts my heart- I love his hair pulled back and his outfit- too hot :swoon::swoon: Anyway, I think they also did a nice job with the story line; yes maybe it doesn't convey every lyric from the song but enough was done that you get the song and it works for me at least, and also remember how many of Michael's videos/short films are faithful to the storyline ? For a posthumous release - it is great- the best so far. Thank you Estate.

I agree i love it too.

And wow that they mentioned Michael's video on ABC NIGHTLY news! that's major!

That is major and it is good to see it.

Back