Adam Ant & His Artistry

'Stand and Deliver' was the first No. 1 for Adam and the Ants. It debuted at the top spot on 3 May 1981 and remained there for five weeks. The third best-selling single of 1981, it has sold 1.03 million copies in the UK.

Cover of Adam's first album, Dirk Wears White Sox (referencing Dirk Bogarde)

adam-the-ants-dirk-wears-white-35599.jpg

According to this interview it was Berry Gordy who invited Adam to be part of Motown 25. Which makes sense. Other accounts I've come across say that it was Michael who invited Adam onto the show but that never made any sense to me. Anyway, really interesting interview.

"I suppose it was fortunate that MTV had come along, so kids that couldn't see the band could see our videos. I was lucky when I went solo because I had this body of work that kids in the States could tap into. The fact that the Ants didn't really tour there led to a kind of cult thing, and bands that formed later were attracted to that initially when they were 13 or 14 because it was a bit dangerous or, "Oh, not everybody's got this!" I certainly like all the covers that have been done — I don't have any problem at all with Katy Perry and Gwen Stefani dancing away to "Stand and Deliver." I love it."

Isle of Wight Fest 2016

"Sarah Champion sat down with Adam Ant for his only interview of IOW 2016, where he spoke about his love of Iggy Pop, dancing onstage with Diana Ross and why the 80s have lived on in younger generations."

At approx 5m 5s - 6m 40s, Adam talks about Motown 25.

10m 28s

"It’s not necessarily about the awards and stuff like that. With the band it was just really getting the records out there with a major label. It’s nice to have the hits and everything, but I think being asked to do Motown 25 by Berry Gordy was, on a personal level, one of my proudest moments.

Being asked to do that show was a great compliment. I still don’t know why they asked me but they did! Sharing the stage with Marvin Gaye was a real highlight. He came to my dressing-room and knocked on my door. I opened it up and he was standing there in a white suit and said: ‘Hello I’m Marvin Gaye’, all I could say was: ‘I know who you are!’ That was a dream-like moment, working with all your heroes that you’ve grown up with. It was nice, a great feeling."

The softness, the vulnerability, the prettiness ... ❤️
Yes , Good words for that pic. Then in real life I doubt he is too vulnerable babe ,i think he is a fighter in that type of industry. i love watching his interviews and thank you for seeking these ones out . Yeah , so i like watching him , he is a joy to watch because he is very quick. You wont like it lol but his mindset reminds me of Marc Bolan's. He is very quick in shutting the interviewer up/ down. There aren't many awkward pauses with him you know? and he doesn't come across as manipulative with it.
Puss n' Boots - Oct 1983

"Pussycat wasn't a kitten
And not as dumb as they thought
One of my fave songs here.
She had a good head on her shoulders
This line is so English
And beauty that couldn't be bought

The royalty made her an offer
If she'd keep trouble at bay
They'd give her the money and diamonds
Be queen for a day"

(lyrics by Adam Ant)

4m 9s

This is my one of my fave videos of all time. I love him ...those sleeves don't get me started zin on those clothes there. 🤩 His girl ,the leather.
I love the dance. i love the blue jacket , and the shiny of that blue jacket ...Love the concept , I love that it is based on cats ...-Cat and mouse -
The mouse thing is really cool to me. its quite fairyland gangster ! & whimsical yet i can say that this ...his artistry is timeless , It's tongue in cheek [the song itself]. It has clever lyrics and stays in the mind.

Last edited:
Adam interviewed by Terry Wogan, 16 February 1990

5m 33s

This -> "It's a bit more like you really" See that sass . 🤣 haha . Wogan did not know what to say! He owned everyone there and it could have been a disaster, and it was glorious. and i love that.

Yep . see , He wanted to learn the craft. Got a good head on his shoulders our Stuart,
Music Box profile - 1990 interview promoting 'Room At The Top' and 'Manners & Physique'

5m 42s

Wow i recorded this interview on a VHS
babe. Love this interview. I like what he says.
Adam interviewed by Leee John.

5m 46s

Well i have not seen this before
Can't say how much this imagery is so captivating to me zin.

He is fabulous and it makes me happier to know that M got to enjoy that real conversation with him. No airs or graces He is very real

People also ask

Why did Adam Ant have a white stripe?

"Well I'd been studying Native American various tribal makeup, and decorations to the face, and it was more like a war stripe; a declaration of war on all that kind of nonsense in the music business and the political stuff that I didn't like. So we felt kind of heroic."

"I always find that very inspiring, that whole philosophy, to me; I felt it was appropriate just declaring war on the music business really. That’s what we did."

19 Jan 2017

🫶RESPECT!

You wont like it lol but his mindset reminds me of Marc Bolan's.
You've confused me. Adam was totally into Marc.

"While many of Ant’s contemporaries in the punk scene pursued a more confrontational and occasionally overtly political line, Ant was content to adopt a more theatrical style. While the notion of a pop singer was anathema to many in the punk scene, for Ant it wasn’t an issue. “I always wanted to sell records,” Ant says. The idea of being a pop singer didn’t worry me. To me, Marc Bolan was a pop singer, and he had great songs,” Ant says."

Back