Allen Sides: "MJ was high as kite during watw"

that’s interesting because of all the footage we have of Michael recording his vocals, he was alert, professional, and efficient to the point where he would help the other artists.
he was only described as being shy by those who were in attendance of that session.

he wasn’t known for engaging with that stuff in the early eighties, or even in the seventies when he was hanging out at studio 54 nightclub. in fact, he was criticised and made fun of for living a clean lifestyle. this would have come out years ago if it were true. this was also around the time that the president endorsed his music for the anti drink driving and ‘say no to drugs’ campaigns.

that said, Quincy was masterful in arranging the ‘mini duets’ between all those artists. he deserves praise for that. this was a monumental event and in my belief, michael’s peak.

At the time he was very anti-drugs, maybe he looked high from dissociation (extreme shyness/anxiety) or he was a bit manic fom the stress
Well, there're photographs MJ holding a can of Budweiser. Of course, you can't judge by pics only whether he was drunk or not.

2433c97dbf84367b4e6e23704411b8d8.jpg

people should stop taking everything for granted what was written in the media... we will never know if MJ was anti-drugs or not... it's called PR... he was an idol for millions of people.. of course he/they would try to have a clean image on him. So even if he was the most heavy drug-abuser we probably would never know. Fact is that MJ was always giving hundred percent on his concerts and there is no footage of him where you see him like drunk on stage or something...
same goes for every artist.. they all want to preserve a clean public image...

Reactions: xam
people should stop taking everything for granted what was written in the media... we will never know if MJ was anti-drugs or not... it's called PR... he was an idol for millions of people.. of course he/they would try to have a clean image on him. So even if he was the most heavy drug-abuser we probably would never know. Fact is that MJ was always giving hundred percent on his concerts and there is no footage of him where you see him like drunk on stage or something...
Well that wasn't just PR, he literally lived a very strict, healthy regime at the time; and baqsically throughout his whole life

Well that wasn't just PR, he literally lived a very strict, healthy regime at the time; and baqsically throughout his whole life

how do you know? you were with him? That's my point.. we can't know. And just because MJ said it on interviews/books/etc doesn't mean it was the truth. He was an idol and therefore had a responsibility about what to say in public.. it's just like all the teen-groups saying "no we dont do alcohol or drugs". Because they know the fans probably will do the same thing as them.

how do you know? you were with him? That's my point.. we can't know. And just because MJ said it on interviews/books/etc doesn't mean it was the truth. He was an idol and therefore had a responsibility about what to say in public.. it's just like all the teen-groups saying "no we dont do alcohol or drugs". Because they know the fans probably will do the same thing as them.
I obviously wasn't with him, but other people were

High on the thought of Diana, knowing that she was there on his project.
That's what I thought, too. Those thoughts of Diane could have been intoxicating.)
Getting caught with a can of beer is such a small thing. It doesn't indicate abuse at all. I can understand why he'd want to relax in such stellar company.

Well then what's up with the slogan "sex, drugs, & rock n roll"? 🤣 I doubt that Ozzy Osbourne, 2 Live Crew, or The Rolling Stones really made much of an attempt to have a clean public image. The Rolling Stones put out a concert movie called Gimmie Shelter where a guy in the audience was killed by some Hell's Angels (basically a motorcycle gang) that were hired as security. At one time Metallica had the nickname "Alcoholica". John Lennon has a song called Cold Turkey and he wasn't taking about Thanksgiving dinner, lol. He also put out an album (Two Virgins) with Yoko Ono where they are both nude on the cover and nothing is hidden. Many record stores would not sell it or they put it behind the counter. There was that "East Coast/West Coast" rap beef in the 1990s. Nothing clean about that, people got killed including Tupac & Notorious B.I.G.

yeah, but why would they talk bad about MJ in public?
To sell stories or to have their "5 minutes of fame".

I think for him in this time period (a strict Jehovas Witness) it's HIGHLY unlikely that he would be on something like hard drugs. When talking hard drugs in the 80's, there comes Crack and Cocaine on the top spot, which gives you erratic behavour. PCP too (Watch the infamous James Brown "Interview"). If Michael was on some stuff, that rumour would have leaked waaaay back then, as all drug escapades with celebrities.

Mr. Sides sounds quite exaggerating by telling that story. In the end it could have been simply drunkness paired with the fact, that Diana was singing with him. He always behaved quite giddy in her presence. Or simply acted a bit immature and Quincy hat to kept him in check.
Seeing the 10 minutes footage, he was goofing around at times.

The fact we can still spend more time debating over stuff like this instead of the music is just another way we all find ourselves being disserviced.
The majority of his records are with his brothers from 1969 to 1984. Which most here are not interested in. Nothing much to talk about after that, except the many Invincible threads. 🤣 It's not like he released (or recorded) a lot of stuff like Phil Collins, Prince, & Madonna. Mike was more like Sade & Tears For Fears, who rarely release anything, like an album every 10 years or so.

michael’s publicist already set the record straight that he was simply relocating the beer can.

just because someone acts ‘giddy’, it doesn’t mean they’re under the influence. it was an exciting moment: Michael also spent a lot of the time during that recording with emmanuel lewis, which would give him even more incentive not to consume alcohol, or harder substances in front of a child.

this is the same michael who didn’t even own an ashtray. Freddie mercury claimed he was given a jar lid to use instead as a substitute, when he visited the michael at his family home.

this is the same michael who according to quincy jones, would hide under the table and cover his eyes, whenever stalker female fans would show up outside the studio window, and expose themselves to him.

engineer Bruce swedien said that he had been trying to get Michael to curse for years, but he wouldn’t. he would even substitute the word ‘funky’ for ‘smelly’ (‘beat it’ notwithstanding), which is how he got his nickname.

his mother katherine said at the time ‘there are a lot of people who are trying to be like Michael, but they go out drinking and partying. michael doesn’t do any of that’.

this was all coming from people who were close to him at the time, and knew him well. this wasn’t an image. this was how he really was. clean living people may be rare (especially in the entertainment industry) but they do exist. michael’s fans and general public at the time, embraced the fact that he was a refreshing alternative to the stereotypical toxic rockers. that was part of his genuine appeal that made him more popular. it was certain sections of the media and jealous peers who ridiculed him for that. the truth is had he stayed on the path he was on in the early eighties, he would still be alive and healthy today..

The majority of his records are with his brothers from 1969 to 1984. Which most here are not interested in. Nothing much to talk about after that, except the many Invincible threads. 🤣 It's not like he released (or recorded) a lot of stuff like Phil Collins, Prince, & Madonna. Mike was more like Sade & Tears For Fears, who rarely release anything, like an album every 10 years or so.
I've never seen you in the unreleased songs thread or have I?

Back