Androgyny in music

I assume this counts, although they didn't continue with this style. I don't think it was their idea.

j09106yahix.jpg
On the original release of this album which had a silver foil like cover (the gray cover in this picture was a re-release), in the picture on the record liner, Oates was nude, but his stuff was covered up by something. Tommy Matola was their manager at the time and they had a song on the album called "Gino (The Manager)". I don't think they were that fond of him, lol.

^

Adam Lambert's album cover made me :lol:

At least he is being creative.... It's something that would definitely make you stop and stare... XD

As for androgynity, the reason why people are so afraid to jump on this is because they are too scared that people will think they're gay. Sad but our society can be so evil towards anyone whom they deemed to be "different."

lol the cover is different but I like it :)

Im attracted to androgynous men most is that weird?

I just want to thank DuranDuran for creating some of the best music threads!

I would like to add Lou Reed to this group :) Walk On The Wild Side definitely subverted gender roles, quite subtly when thinking of how popular the song was despite the lyrical content.

Adam Ant is someone I'd also add to this group. A lot of the New Romantics took an androgynous aesthetic - even if was purely for show.

Also, probably much less known, Billy Mackenzie was an amazing vocalist for the
Associates.

I wanna give a huge WOOP WOOP for David Bowie and Robert Smith:clapping:

I don't see this now, except La Rux. Mostly women are portrayed as the pretty little thing or the sexy strong woman and guys as masculine guys guys or thugs. I don't know what the worlds reaction to Boy George was back when he started, but if he was starting up today he would probably be slated.

On the original release of this album which had a silver foil like cover (the gray cover in this picture was a re-release), in the picture on the record liner, Oates was nude, but his stuff was covered up by something. Tommy Matola was their manager at the time and they had a song on the album called "Gino (The Manager)". I don't think they were that fond of him, lol.
Hall said that Mottola was all about muscling you and it showed over the years with various acts. he managed them through the early 80's because on there 1981 album he was still on board.

he was always a wanna be made don. tired of his fake crony lying two faced self.

I don't know if it's true or not, but there was a rumor that he was writing an autobiography and he was going to name some singers and actors as being gay and in the closet. When he died, his notes disappeared and the book was never heard about again.
they made him disappear like casper the friendly ghost.

everybody knows the hollywood game. he was cool back then.

little richard, jimi hendrix, dj quik, rick james, james brown, joe simon,el debarge and brothers,cameo, bar kays, the deele, bobby brown,early dr dre

all those acts were into that look back in the day

I think androgyny is seen differently these days, because everything is so IN YOUR FACE now. There aren't too many things an act can do to shock an audience anymore. Just treading the same ground over and over..............and over an over again. Many acts put their image ahead of their music, and while they might look weird as all get out, their tunes sound just like the standard top 40 stuff (or worse lol).

I think androgyny is seen differently these days, because everything is so IN YOUR FACE now. There aren't too many things an act can do to shock an audience anymore. Just treading the same ground over and over..............and over an over again. Many acts put their image ahead of their music, and while they might look weird as all get out, their tunes sound just like the standard top 40 stuff (or worse lol).
an act has to have a vision of what they want to say through there music and then within themselves and hopes a audience will connect one and the same with them. it's a two way street.

bottom line it's about the songs and everything else there after is gravy. persoanlity,charisma and depth all coming together

I guess I'm kind of attracted to androgynous guys. I remember the first time I saw MJ on the cover of the Bad album when I was a 10-year-old little girl. I kind of found it exciting and attractive that he's different. On the other hand I was never really attracted to machos. So, yeah, I guess androgynous guys are more my type. LOL. The exciting thing about MJ is, I think, that while his looks were often androgynous, but his moves, gestures on the stage, in videos were so manly.

I don't really know if it's in or out to be androgynous in the music business now. There is Adam Lambert, but he's gay. No, it's not a problem, but I actually find it more exciting if a guy is androgynous and not gay. I find it somehow extra brave and sexy if a hetero guy puts on make-up, stretches the barriers of how a hetero male is supposed to be etc. MJ and Prince - yeah, they are my guys! LOL.

I guess I'm kind of attracted to androgynous guys. I remember the first time I saw MJ on the cover of the Bad album when I was a 10-year-old little girl. I kind of found it exciting and attractive that he's different. On the other hand I was never really attracted to machos. So, yeah, I guess androgynous guys are more my type. LOL. The exciting thing about MJ is, I think, that while his looks were often androgynous, but his moves, gestures on the stage, in videos were so manly.

I don't really know if it's in or out to be androgynous in the music business now. There is Adam Lambert, but he's gay. No, it's not a problem, but I actually find it more exciting if a guy is androgynous and not gay. I find it somehow extra brave and sexy if a hetero guy puts on make-up, stretches the barriers of how a hetero male is supposed to be etc. MJ and Prince - yeah, they are my guys! LOL.

I myself am androgynous by nature - even though I'm not a pop star :cheeky: For me, it's never been an act - it's who I am. You could say that I choose to let it show through my appearance, but really the way I look just reflects my soul and my personality. I would feel awful emotionally if I had to put on an act and "pick a side", I'd only be half a person. And like you - I'm attracted to androgynous people as well.

So... I'm a big fan of androgyny, in music and everywhere else :)

Back