Any moral objections to 'Abortion Papers'?

Here's a little more insight into the making of the song:

Matt Forger, an audio engineer who worked with Jackson for years, says that technicians who were working on archiving the King of Pop’s recordings initially “overlooked” the song. But when they did finally hear it, they “knew it could be controversial, especially with what’s been going on politically.”

“But when you listen to the song there’s a story being told,” says Forger. “Michael really reflected on what the approach should be. He wasn’t sure how to narrate it. There were different variations with vocals—he didn’t want it to be judgmental. He was very clear about that. But he wanted to present a real, complicated situation.”

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...-to-michael-jacksons-unreleased-demos/262242/

Like I stated in a previous post, I think he tried to convey in the song that it's a very serious decision, one that should be well-thought out, not necessarily a decision that is moral/immoral.

Here's a little more insight into the making of the song:

Like I stated in a previous post, I think he tried to convey in the song that it's a very serious decision, one that should be well-thought out, not necessarily a decision that is moral/immoral.

I can believe that, however the song still seems to be very one-sided. If it was presenting a complicated situation, then it should show both sides and how they conflict. But I think that the song only focusses on why the child 'should' be kept and not why it 'should' be aborted.

He could genuinely mean his words but failing in the execution coming across as a little bit judgmental, even preachy. He didn't give the girl or woman a voice, he didn't try to understand her or at least being sympathetic towards her. I just can't side with Michael on this one.

If forcing women to be pregnant against their will under any circumstance is downright cruel, forcing little girls to keep the product of the rape they suffered is an abomination. It's disgusting even such extreme cases the authorities don't allow them to abort, little girls are not prepared in any way to carry on a pregnancy.

Last edited:
I went back and listened to it today and read the lyrics and it's my opinion that it's just unfinished. The lyrics (except for the chorus from the young fathers point of view) seem scattered. Just a scattering of ideas sung to his melody.
I think if it were finished, we'd hear the young girls side in his falsetto a la Annie in Smooth Criminal or the young woman's cry in Human Nature.

Last edited:
Firstly, this comment is spreading unsubstantiated nonsense and common misconceptions in defence of this song. It's unspeakably difficult for most women to get an abortion without going through multiple obstacles and questioning, regardless of their personal circumstances, not to mention the social stigma that makes it hard to have open and honest conversations about these measures. To irresponsibly accuse women of using abortion clinics as some kind of alternative to comparatively cheap, legal and readily available birth control like condoms, pills, implants, etc is misguided at best, degrading to how seriously the trained professionals who run these clinics take their jobs, adding to the aforementioned social stigma that women who seek abortions face, and also ignoring just how expensive and dangerous it is to both acquire and provide these services in many countries, including the US. Such are the consequences for spouting widely debunked pro-lifer rhetoric. If you are, as you claim, in favour of a woman's right to choose, it would do you well to consider more thoughtfully how you express this.

Secondly, anti-choice is a far more appropriate term for the likes of those who would politicise and police women's bodies for the supremacy of their religious whims, as a significant number of procedures are done in order to save the life of the pregnant woman. Those lives don't matter to 'pro-lifers', apparently. I wonder if reading accounts like this would help them find some empathy for those they would seemingly rather die than have agency over their reproductive rights, or god forbid, a tiny tax percentage to help protect the lives of those who work at and visit these clinics from the daily threat of violent zealots.

http://jezebel.com/interview-with-a-woman-who-recently-had-an-abortion-at-1781972395

Finally, as for all the 'it's just story, it's art' hand-waving in this post, that could be said of any MJ song, but it doesn't mean those songs were any less personally felt, regardless of the given 'narrator' in the lyrics. None of MJ's songs were created in some kind of vacuum, they came from his mind, and as has been documented tirelessly, he was not someone to go through with the recording of a song that he did not feel personally invested in; hence the continual revising of archived songs and themes throughout his work over a course of many years. Like another commenter here, I'm also given to believe MJ was fairly conservative (or 'Hollywood liberal', which is to say, not particularly liberal in any meaningful way), though I also feel there was no conscious ill intention in the creation of this song.
No art transcends critique or personal interpretation, no matter the subject matter. It's a sign of a balanced and healthy relationship in regards to an artist's output to engage with it in honest terms, and if that means being uncomfortable or disappointed, then that's completely valid. What isn't honest is mindlessly agreeing with everything someone's done and refusing to see things for what they are: A.P. is a challenging song, not everyone is going to like it. And that's OK.

I couldn't care less about the song, really. As for your "novel", there ARE women who use abortion (especially the day after pill) as a form of birth control. Are you suggesting that women can't be or aren't sexually irresponsible? If you believe that, then you are the one that is misinformed. I've seen it up close and personal, the same faces over and over again coming into the clinic to get rid of a "problem" (as one client described her pregnancy). The women were counseled on birth control, given some and sent on their way (after their procedure), yet we kept seeing the same ones over and over again!

Spare me the sob story and your half-assed indignation about what I KNOW happens.

StraightOuttaf2give_zpsfufxgoa5.jpg

^^That's sad to hear that it really does happen and it's not just a stereotype. I'd have bet money on that, actually. I come from the old school where it was the worst thing in the world to be an unwed mother and even though I was a kid, my mother had me watching tragic, poignant movies on the Midnight show where girls went to the abortionist or used a coat hanger-which was pretty horrifying. So I was ecstatic with Roe vs. Wade. I would imagine having an abortion would require a lot of thought and contemplation, much less still being a pretty scary ordeal-but I forgot about that "day after" pill-that's kinda new.

I'm definitely pro-choice, but don't believe that it should be a method of birth control-that's pretty weird. And no telling what you're doing to your body with that. I still contend that the song, though, is not finished-and had he finished it we would have heard him sing both sides of the drama-both the unwed father (as he does now) and the unwed mother. It was a hot-button topic then, and even more so now, with so many clinics closing down by our laws-in a lot of states, not just here in Texas. The lawmakers want to close the clinics (and have-we lost most of them in the last three years), but don't want to budget any kind of money for medical care/schools for kids that come into the world. And I find that hypocritical. If we value life so much, we should be valuing them after they're born as well.

Interesting topic.
Honesty, no I don't. But I can understand why people might.
I don't have any moral objections though, because similar to songs like Smooth Criminal and Little Susie, Michael is the narrator.
Forget everything else for a second, and just enjoy them inedible vocals!!

No, I don't have any objections to the song as I'm pro life myself. It's a great song and I wish Michael had released it on Bad. I knew that this song would offend a lot of liberals but Michael was a religious man and he had every right to express his views about such topic in a song and I'm glad that he did. You can't please everyone at the end of the day and Michael understood that very well.

The song does not speak of his opinion on abortion at all... Just the struggle a woman has with abortion.. If anything it brings awareness.. No pro or anti! Mikes smarter than that.

Interesting topic.
Honesty, no I don't. But I can understand why people might.
I don't have any moral objections though, because similar to songs like Smooth Criminal and Little Susie, Michael is the narrator.
Forget everything else for a second, and just enjoy them inedible vocals!

True. You can't eat those vocals ;)

Back