Appeal Thread - Murray Filed for Appeal / Update: Appeal DENIED

Re: Appeal Thread - All Discussion / Update: Murray Filed for Appeal

Is that the oral agrument in thee actual appeal or the argument for an appeal to actually happen based on what they will argue in january? lets hope the judges arent haters

I believe this is the very last oral argument before the judges take the appeal into consideration.

If he gets an appeal...doughnuts are gonna cost $800. -_- Valarie Wass says the exact same irrelevant thing each time..and if the system has at least common sense they won't overturn the conviction, so I'm not worried about this too much.

I would love to hear Wass give an argument in court merely for the laughs.

^ Lol if she does I'll laugh. I mean, come on. She says the same exact thing. It's so old that even animals look at her like she's a fool.

Me? I'll be like this ^

I forgot which news station said they spoke to her, but they said that she said “she's positive they'll overturn the conviction and see it for the non sense it really is.” and I was like:

I don't know if Valarie's been hit on the head with a weight, but I do know she's officially lost her mind.

I believe this is the very last oral argument before the judges take the appeal into consideration.

sorry ivy i dont quite get u. so its just arguements to say this is why u should allow an actual appeal to happen or is it the actual appeal and after the hearing in jan the judge will decide whether to quash the conviction or not

is it the actual appeal and after the hearing in jan the judge will decide whether to quash the conviction or not

this one I believe.

all of the motions were filed. the last step is to arrange for an hearing in front of the 3 judges. and after that they take it under consideration and I believe in 90 days decide to either grant or deny the appeal.

ok thanks. i thought its rare that they even give someone the right to appeal? ie it actually gets to the stage where it will be heard before judges. dont u have to prove a reason for an appeal to actually be heard in the first place or are they heard automatically regardless of whether the appeal actually has any merit

ok thanks. i thought its rare that they even give someone the right to appeal? ie it actually gets to the stage where it will be heard before judges. dont u have to prove a reason for an appeal to actually be heard in the first place or are they heard automatically regardless of whether the appeal actually has any merit

We all have a right to an appeal ^^. This is just the oral argument in the process. What is rare is for you to win the appeal and the case is sent back for retrial. The justices hear the arguments and then make a decision. Right now they don't know yet if her arguments have any merit because the process of hearing the arguments has not been conducted yet. Maybe you are mixing up the process towards getting an appeal with the actual decision where the appeal has been granted?

Yeah im prob mixing it up and mixing it up abit with the uk system aswell

Lawyers waive oral arguments in appeal by doctor
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Attorneys handling an appeal by the former doctor convicted in the death of Michael Jackson have waived oral arguments in the case, court documents filed Tuesday show.

Defense lawyer Valerie Wass and Supervising Deputy Attorney General Victoria B. Wilson filed letters with the 2nd District Court of Appeal waiving the arguments in the case of Conrad Murray unless justices have specific questions.

The appeals court had set arguments for Jan. 9.

Wass said the decision was made because both sides felt they had filed extensive papers laying out their cases and the court doesn't want to hear repetitive arguments.

"The waiver is in large part due to the Court's generous permission allowing the parties to file briefs at double the word limit," Wilson wrote in a letter to the court.

Murray was convicted in 2011 of giving Jackson a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol. He was released in October after serving two years in jail.

Jackson died in June 2009 while preparing for a series of comeback concerts titled "This Is It."

Murray argues in his appeal that the trial judge excluded jurors from hearing key evidence and should have sequestered jurors in the high-profile case.

The attorney general's office has said the issues cited by Murray's lawyers were not errors and are not a basis for a new trial.

Murray argues in his appeal that the trial judge excluded jurors from hearing key evidence and should have sequestered jurors in the high-profile case.

The attorney general's office has said the issues cited by Murray's lawyers were not errors and are not a basis for a new trial.

What was the key evidence again?

mjs financial issues?

If they went through with the oral arguments, would the attorneys or the judge had the opportunity to ask questions to Murray?

mjs financial issues?

Oh yes`! Michael killed himself because he was so much in debt.
Debt is funny thing. KJ says if you are a doctor and in debt, it makes to abandon your Hippocratic oath and do things you normally wouldn't do. Now this doctor who abandoned his HO says, because MJ was so much in debt, he killed himself.

LAWYERS WAIVE ORAL ARGUMENTS IN APPEAL BY DOCTOR

Associated Press – Tue, Dec 17, 2013.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Attorneys handling an appeal by the former doctor convicted in the death of Michael Jackson have waived oral arguments in the case, court documents filed Tuesday show.

Both defense lawyer Valerie Wass and Supervising Deputy Attorney General Victoria B. Wilson filed letters with the 2nd District Court of Appeal waiving the arguments in the case of Conrad Murray unless justices have specific questions.

The appeals court had set arguments for Jan. 9.

Wass said the decision was made because both sides felt they had filed extensive papers laying out their cases and the court doesn't want to hear repetitive arguments.

"The waiver is in large part due to the Court's generous permission allowing the parties to file briefs at double the word limit," Wilson wrote in a letter to the court.

Murray was convicted in 2011 of giving Jackson a fatal dose of the anesthetic propofol. He was released in October after serving two years in jail.

Jackson died in June 2009 while preparing for a series of comeback concerts titled "This Is It."

AP/Yahoo News

No oral arguments , so now its just a waiting game for the court to read all the documents (arguments) presented by both sides and make a decision if an appeal will be allowed. If not Murray can still appeal to a higher court and see if they find anything in favor of an appeal. You keep going until you exhaust all effort. They can go up to CA supreme court all the way to United states federal and supreme courts.

Ah man, so we won't hear Wass oral argument. Oh well, you can't have everything. At least that was a good decision, so now they have shortened the waiting process somewhat.

The 2nd District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles set arguments in the case for Jan. 9.

Any news on what happened?

I only found this:
Future Scheduled Actions

The People v. Murray - E-BRIEF PROJECT
Division 7
Case Number B237677

Description Due Date Notes
Exhibits returned to county clerk. 03/06/2014 One Box. (SA073164) Exhibit #3 Juror Questionnaires
File(s) returned to county clerk. 03/06/2014 19 Sealed Envelopes

Last edited:

^^

Both sides have waived oral arguments so there was no oral arguments.

^^

Both sides have waived oral arguments so there was no oral arguments.

Sorry to pestering you Ivy.
I think I'm losing my memory because there are long caps between what happens in these legal cases, and once something happens, I have forgotten what happened previously:D

I have an attention span of a goldfish:)

I don't see that as pestering and actually I keep a little piece of paper with notes to be able to keep track of what is going on.

As for the march future schedule events : I'm not sure what they stand for but I can guess that probably they expect to have a ruling by then and return the originals to the source? Again just a guess.

Sorry to pestering you Ivy.
I think I'm losing my memory because there are long caps between what happens in these legal cases, and once something happens, I have forgotten what happened previously:D

I have an attention span of a goldfish:)

Sounds like me. After a few months I mix up the cases. Then, I remember something but don't remember exactly where I got the information from.

It seems they submitted the jury questionnaires as exhibits. I wonder if this relates to their contention that the jury should have been sequestered or they felt there was some bias in the questionnaire?

Court upholds conviction of Michael Jackson doctor
Associated Press 01:51p.m. Jan 15, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An appeals court has upheld the conviction of the doctor convicted of causing Michael Jackson's death.

Court records show a three justice panel of the California 2nd District Court of Appeal affirmed the involuntary manslaughter conviction of former cardiologist Conrad Murray on Wednesday.

The 68-page opinion was not immediately available.

Messages left for Murray's attorney Valerie Wass and Supervising Deputy Attorney General were not immediately returned.

Murray had appealed his conviction, arguing that a trial court judge excluded jurors from hearing key evidence and should have sequestered jurors.

The attorney general's office has said the issues cited by Murray's lawyers were not errors and were not a basis for a new trial.

Murray served two years in jail after his 2011 conviction and was released in October.

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/15/court-upholds-conviction-of-michael-jackson-doctor/

Conrad Murray
Appeals Court Rules
MICHAEL DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF

A California appeals court just formally and forever shut down Conrad Murray's contention ... Michael Jackson killed himself by self-injecting that fatal dose of Propofol.

Murray had appealed his manslaughter conviction with a kitchen sink of arguments, including MJ accidentally offing himself. The California Court of Appeal has ruled ... Murray's theories are just that -- theories. The court went on to say the evidence was plentiful ... that he did the deed.

The judges noted incredulously ... Murray's fingerprints were all over the Propofol bottle and they said he acted like a guilty man when cops showed up ... by lying to them. They also zeroed in on Murray cleaning up the scene after the fact.

Even though Murray has served his sentence ... the appeal was important. If he won he could have made a credible pitch to regain his medical license.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/15/conrad-murray-michael-jackson-appeals-court/

This is the updated version from AP

Court upholds conviction of Michael Jackson doctor
ANTHONY McCARTNEY AP Entertainment Writer 01:51p.m. Jan 15, 2014

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An appellate court on Wednesday unanimously upheld the involuntary manslaughter conviction of Michael Jackson's doctor, determining there was substantial evidence of his guilt presented at trial.

The ruling by the California 2nd District Court of Appeal came less than three months after former cardiologist Conrad Murray was released. He served two years in jail for causing Jackson's 2009 death.

The 68-page ruling includes lengthy recitations of the evidence against Murray, who was convicted in 2011 of giving Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic propofol in June 2009 while the superstar was preparing for a series of comeback concerts titled "This Is It."

The six-week trial focused on Murray's care of Jackson, including nightly doses of propofol to help the entertainer sleep.

In its opinion, the appeals court determined that Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor was within his right to impose the maximum sentence of four years.

Murray's "callous disregard for Mr. Jackson's health and safety was shown throughout the trial from the manner in which he administered a number of dangerous drugs to Mr. Jackson without the appropriate medical equipment, precautions or personnel in place, and to the manner in which he left Mr. Jackson unattended," the opinion states.

"The evidence demonstrated that Mr. Jackson was a vulnerable victim and that (Murray) was in a position of trust, and that (Murray) violated the trust relationship by breaching standards of professional conduct in numerous respects," it said.

The former physician was released from jail in October due to a change in California law requiring nonviolent offenders to serve their sentences in county jails and as a result of credits for good behavior.

In his appeal, Murray argued that the judge who oversaw the case improperly excluded jurors from hearing key evidence and should have sequestered jurors.

The appellate court disagreed and said it found no errors in the judge's rulings, including one allowing the trial to be televised.

Murray's trial lawyers attempted to introduce evidence of Jackson's financial difficulties and his treatment by other doctors, but Pastor ruled testimony on those issues would be irrelevant.

Attorney Valerie Wass, who represented Murray in the appeal, said she had not yet read the entire opinion and could not comment on the ruling. A phone message left for Supervising Deputy Attorney General Victoria Wilson was not immediately returned. The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, which prosecuted the case, declined comment.

Also on Wednesday, lawyers for Jackson's estate and Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's of London resolved a case of the payout of a $17.5 million tour cancellation and non-appearance policy that was scheduled to go to trial in February. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

___

Anthony McCartney can be reached at http://twitter.com/mccartneyAP

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/15/court-upholds-conviction-of-michael-jackson-doctor/

Re: KJ vs AEG Trial outcome : Appeal

"The evidence demonstrated that Mr. Jackson was a vulnerable victim and that (Murray) was in a position of trust, and that (Murray) violated the trust relationship by breaching standards of professional conduct in numerous respects," it said.

As I always said, courts the world over have a very dim view of professionals who abuse a position of trust, whether it's a doctor, lawyer, banker, teacher etc

This is really good news today.

Now we all knew that would happen. Another one bites the dust. Gee and after Wass went on tv and everything and redid her brief, it all went to naught!! Ohhhhh

The justices said Beat It Muarry!!

It was known he wouldn't win the appeal but still, even when is sad that Michael is no longer here, this is a great news. Nothing Conrad says or does will change the reality that Michael died because of his carelessness. Seems this is a good month.

Back