Appeal Thread - Murray Filed for Appeal / Update: Appeal DENIED

"The attorney general’s office, representing the prosecution, has 30 days to respond to the appeal. Wass then has another 20 days for her response."

I would like to hear their response. Ivy, do you think it will be available for public?

"She said the outcome of the appellate case could have some impact on pending medical board proceedings for Murray in Texas and California. The boards will decide whether to revoke Murray’s license to practice medicine in the two states."

I thought all medical boards removed his licenses already! What the hell they are waiting for?

Re: Appeal Thread - All Discussion / Update: Murray Filed for Appeal

after all this time thats the best she can come up with. even a law student could do a better job than that!

Why should any of this matter given the things we know Murray did and didn't do in total disregard for Michael's medical safety? Murray even admitted to giving Michael propofol which was in clear violation of the medical ethics code to start with and then leaving him alone. Once again, by everything we've heard, there was nobody upstairs that day except for Michael and Murray. Nobody else in the house knew what was happening until it was too late. It seems to me that Murray's lawyer got all of her claims in the appeal from what Murray told the police, Flanagan, Chernoff and the media. And we know how he likes to make himself the saint of medical situations. So to me, it is possible that he was just talking to cover his own behind. After all, nobody would be the wiser since they weren't in that bedroom when Michael left this world. And didn't the coroner say that Michael died of acute propofol intoxication? So where is Murray's lawyer getting it that Michael didn't die from propofol at all? And why is she asking for Murray to get a reduced sentence if his conviction is upheld when he will be out of jail in October of this year? Is she being stubborn or is she just not very smart? Seriously, this makes me sick.

Last edited:

The only "error" is how easy Murray got off. A two year sentence truly is an "error."

I hope this gets denied. It's the only thing we have. Once he gets out and tries to make his money at least he would still have this conviction.

^Of course it will be denied. Her brief should be of points of law, but rather she filled it with a bunch of theories that were proven false in court. Where are her facts? I would like to see what cases she referenced in her brief. Even funnier was that she wanted to make it longer and the judge said no. Can you imagine the amount of foolish theories she would fill up the extra pages with!!!

"Wass contended that one defense attorney, Michael Flanagan, failed to adequately cross-examine a scientist who testified to that issue. She said he and other lawyers also waited too long to ask for examination of residue in a propofol bottle found in Jackson’s room, Their motion was filed 11 days after conviction and was denied."

I don't know how normal it is in cases like this that appeal lawyer say that defence lawyers didn't do their job or did their job badly, as Wass says above bit, or is this case of: Hell has no fury like a woman scorned?

We all know how inadequate Flanny was with Shafel, but then again it would've been the same with anyone else too. Shafel was outstanding during his testimony.

I don't know how normal it is in cases like this that appeal lawyer say that defence lawyers didn't do their job or did their job badly, as Wass says above bit, or is this case of: Hell has no fury like a woman scorned?

Personally, I think she's just bitter because Flanagan had to let her go to try and save his marriage. I don't think she would be saying these things about him in an appeal brief if he was still with her. If he was still with her, she'd probably be saying how great he was and how he only failed to sway the jury because Michael was a celebrity. I also don't think Murray's lawyer is very smart. She seems to like to put her personal opinions in court documents as if her opinions are fact. So I'm not surprised about her mentioning Flanagan here. Anyway, I hope the appeal gets thrown out.

Seems to me like Murray flaps his gums only when outside a courtroom!

Conrad Murray: 'I'm not going to accept responsibility' for Michael Jackson's death

By Randee Dawn, TODAY contributor

It's been four years since Michael Jackson died, but the legal wrangling following his death continues. A jury has now been empaneled in the lawsuit brought by Jackson's mother and children against AEG Live, the promoter of his final "This is It" tour, and one potential key figure at that trial will likely be Dr. Conrad Murray.

Murray, who served as Jackson's doctor, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the singer's death in 2011, and on Friday he phoned TODAY from his jail cell to talk with Savannah Guthrie, with his lawyer Valerie Wass in the studio.
All along, Murray has denied being responsible for Jackson's death, and maintains that assertion today: "(I take) not any responsibility as it relates to his death," said Murray. "I am sorry that I lost Michael as a friend and as a patient. ... I have lost a very dear friend and a dear person to me, and it's going to remain with me for the rest of my life, but I'm not going to accept responsibility for anything I did not do."

At this new trial, lawyers for the Jackson family are likely to argue that AEG Live is liable because they hired Murray. In theory, the company would have had a financial interest in ensuring the singer was healthy and able to perform as contractually obligated, which may have created a conflict in their oversight of Dr. Murray.
As Guthrie pointed out, there appeared to be clear negligence in that the drug that killed Jackson -- the singer died of acute propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication that brought on cardiac arrest -- was found in the room after Murray left Jackson unattended. "I met Michael Jackson with his own stash of medication," insisted Murray. "I tried to get rid of the propofol from Michael Jackson. He might not have liked the approach that I took, but nonetheless the circumstances were to actually get him away from that agent."
Wass spoke up to say that when Murray left Jackson alone in the room on the night he died, the singer was on a saline drip. "Jackson was not on a propofol drip," she said and added that however Jackson gained access to the propofol that killed him, it was never determined whether it came from "his own sources" or from Murray.

Murray says being in prison "has been one of my most horrendous experiences. ... I have only survived because of the loving hope and the support that I get from various individuals and I would especially like to say that my girlfriend Nicole Alvarez has been just tremendous."
Murray may be released in a few months due to prison overcrowding, and is appealing his conviction. Opening statements in the trial are set for Monday.

http://todayentertainment.today.com...esponsibility-for-michael-jacksons-death?lite

Transcript of Conrad Murray's Interview on Today Show 4/26/13:
?http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjvmdk

>> conrad murray who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death of michael jackson speaks out live from his los angeles jail cell , but first nbc's take taibbi has new details on dr. murray 's attempt to have his conviction overturned. mike, good morning to you.

>> reporter: good morning, savannah. at this point dr. murray 's appeal isn't intended to shorten his prison sentence . he's due to be releelsreleased soon. probably by the fall. it's to that he did nothing wrong. before he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to the max, four years, he told savannah that michael jackson 's death had nothing to do with the care he provided.

>> do you feel guilty that he died?

>> i don't feel guilty because i did not do anything wrong.

>> reporter: in his appeal, murray says his trial was fundamentally unfair, the trial judge was biased and the jury should have been sequestered because of the media frenzy around the case. his goal not to get out of jail early but to get his life back, says attorney valerie walsh.

>> he wouldn't be a convicted felon for one thing. he wouldn't lose the rights as a felon, it may lose his ability to practice medicine in the future.

>> reporter: murray could be a turning point witness in the jackson family 's mega millions suit against the promoters of the king of pop 's doomed final concert tour . if the doctor's negligence led to the final fatal dose of propofol who was the role of aig live who murray believed would be paying his monthly $150,000 fee? law professor lori levinson.

>> the jackson family will argue aig is responsible for everything conrad murray did. they reminded him they're in charge.

>> reporter: murray has not been subpoenaed to testify in the suit against aig though he's on the witness list for both sides. aeg says the company didn't hire murray and had nothing to do with jackson's medical care . murray says he'll likely take the fifth if he's called to testify.

>> mike taibbi thank you so much. dr. conrad murray is with us exclusively on the phone from the men's central jail in los angeles . his attorney valerie wasser is here, handling his appeal.

>> good morning, savannah.

>> dr. murray , this is not about shortening your sentence. you're expected to be out in a few months. as i understand it, this appeal is for you, a chance to clear your name. do you think it will be sufficient to do that and do you expect you should be able to practice medicine again?

>> well, i hope that i think my attorney has done an excellent job in her brief and i hope that the court would see that an injustice has occurred at this occasion and if that be the case, i will have my license back and i'll be able to continue practicing medicine to give services to all those who seek it and especially to the underserved.

>> in your appeal which i have seen, you blame michael jackson . you blame the jury. you blame the judge, and you blame your lawyers and i wonder if, having reflected on these facts now, you take any personal responsibility for what happened to michael jackson .

>> not any responsibility as it relates to his death. i am sorry that i have lost michael as a friend and as a patient. being a doctor almost, such a huge impact on our lives, to have to tell a family member someone has passed away , you could not save them. it's a tremendous loss, so much pain and i have lost a very dear friend and a dear person to me, and it's going to remain with me for the rest of my life but i'm not going to accept responsibility for anything i did not do.

>> but doctor, let me push back on that just a little bit. he died from this powerful anesthetic called propofol as you well know. you prescribed it and you administered it. i know your theory is he injected it, however, are you not responsible for bringing the drug into the room and leaving him unattended?

>> that, i am not. i met michael jackson with his own stash of medication. i tried to get rid of the propofol from michael jackson . you may not have liked the approach i took but nonetheless, the circumstances were to actually get him away from that agent.

>> speaking of the night he died, doctor, in just those actions, you left the room, you left him unattended, and pro to follow on the package labeling says it requires constant monitoring.

>> i left the room but i left no propofol in his way he should have used, i did not leave it to michael to have taken his own action and cause his own demise. i did not do that.

>> let me let valerie on this.

>> jackson was not on a pro to follow drip. he was on a saline drip. he's given him 25 milligrams of propofol .

>> that's doctor murray 's contenti contention. there was a larger amount of propofol found in his autopsy.

>> correct.

>> you don't dispute the fact that propofol was prescribed and michael jackson gained access to it when dr. murray left the room.

>> gained access whether it came from dr. murray or his own source has not been established.

>> dr. murray , let me ask you what life in jail has been like for you?

>> it has been one of my most horrendous experience. i have only survived because of the loving hope and the support that i get from various individuals and especially would like to say my girlfriend, any koes nicole alvarez, never missed a visitation and never not called me on a daily basis and my children and just a bunch of other people who have written to me from all over the world who encourage me.

>> do you regret not taking the stand in your own defense?

>> i don't know. i do not think that the prosecution had solved or they had proved their case, and i did not see if i took the stand if i would have added anything more. i believe the problem is my attorneys. i believe there was a lot of ineffectiveness. actually there was an obstruction of justice when the prosecutor himself destroyed the evidence in the open courtroom. that was obstruction of justice, and that was unbelievable. that is almost i think impossible to live with.

>> dr. conrad murray , we appreciate you getting up early, calling us from your jail cell . we appreciate it, and valerie wass, thank you to you.

Video: http://www.today.com/video/today/51673562#51673562

What? No song?

How many phone calls felons are allowed to take from prison?
If he is not leaving odd messages to odd friends of his who then sells them to tabloids, then he is calling to media.

We can expect many more of this "calls" during the trial :puke:

Murray is just repeating the same text rehearsed in your Appeal and in the interview he granted to Anderson Cooper. But thankfully this time he did not want to sing. It seems that it is difficult for him to understand that even if Michael had a stash of propofol at home for years, he was a physician there, had to act as such, not simply accept by greed.

Last edited:

You see he still has no remorse and thinks he did nothing wrong. Michael had his own stash & it was never found, but the ones Muarry bought and had moved after Michael died were found? Where was this stash hiding in the house that no one could find it.

Yes & Michael was supposed to get up and take this drug without getting his fingerprints on the equipment--I always wonder why these silly reporters never ask Muarry and Wass about that. Michael got up, found the prof he hid in an invisible place, shot himself with all that, did not become sedated right away when everyone else would, but wiped off his fingerprints, walked around to hide his stash again, lie back down on the bed, then finally died. A typical cartoon story!! I guess Donald Duck is in the house people!!

Again, for some reason journalists don't seem to really know the case, and are too soft with Murray. Just like with Anderson Cooper, I had the feeling that this lady reporter didn't believe / didn't like Murray, but they just stop right before the interview could get really interesting.

Some nice questions to ask him would be :

- dr Shafer established that Michael was on a drip. And Dr White was not able to contradict him. Dr Shafer said that direct cardiac arrest was excluded (he had never seen that happen with propofol) , so Michael died because he stopped breathing. He said that it takes some time (if I remember correctly he said 10 to 20 mn) between respiratory arrest and death, and during that time propofol metabolizes very quickly and so "disappears" from the body. The only way to explain the levels found at autopsy is that Michael was still receiving propofol after he stopped breathing. So he was on a drip. That pretty much excludes self administration.

-then even if Michael had self administered, how long did Murray leave the room ? He still would have had time to ressucitate him. Oh wait, Michael was not monitored.

-why wait 20 mn to call 911 ?

-why so many lies (to the pharmacist, the police, paramedics, ER doctors - probably his own lawyers too ) ?

- why was he buying such a huge quantity of benzos and flumazenil for just one patient ?

there are probably other questions, but I'm sure a good journalist could get a really nice scoop out of Murray : the truth.

About the finger prints, I think it was explained that you don't always leave fingerprints and you can't always find them. It means that if fingerprints are found it proves that you have touched the object, but if none are found it doesn't prove anything. Murray's fingerprints were found on that propofol bottle I think.

^^I think you don't leave prints if your hands are greasy or when there is some special surface on objects but that was not the case here. If you touch something long enough your prints will be on it. You can even get it off paper and yes Muarry's prints were found. There are several points to discount Muarry's and Wass's claims, so hopefully this appeal will soon be no more.

I don't belive for one second that his appeal will be successful but I'm dreading the time he gets out from prison.
He needs to pay rent and other things for his instrument, and the easiest way to do it to give inclusive interview with tabloids in which he keeps repeating same ol' shite, and making up new shite about Michael:-(

Bubs, Mark my words, if this trial goes KJ's way there is a large possibility there will be some sympathy for Murray from the general public. IMO

I know, if Katherine and Co portray Michael as alcoholic full blown drug addict, people might start thinking maybe CM is right that MJ did it himself :puke:

Again, for some reason journalists don't seem to really know the case, and are too soft with Murray. Just like with Anderson Cooper, I had the feeling that this lady reporter didn't believe / didn't like Murray, but they just stop right before the interview could get really interesting.

Some nice questions to ask him would be :

- dr Shafer established that Michael was on a drip. And Dr White was not able to contradict him. Dr Shafer said that direct cardiac arrest was excluded (he had never seen that happen with propofol) , so Michael died because he stopped breathing. He said that it takes some time (if I remember correctly he said 10 to 20 mn) between respiratory arrest and death, and during that time propofol metabolizes very quickly and so "disappears" from the body. The only way to explain the levels found at autopsy is that Michael was still receiving propofol after he stopped breathing. So he was on a drip. That pretty much excludes self administration.

-then even if Michael had self administered, how long did Murray leave the room ? He still would have had time to ressucitate him. Oh wait, Michael was not monitored.

-why wait 20 mn to call 911 ?

-why so many lies (to the pharmacist, the police, paramedics, ER doctors - probably his own lawyers too ) ?

- why was he buying such a huge quantity of benzos and flumazenil for just one patient ?

there are probably other questions, but I'm sure a good journalist could get a really nice scoop out of Murray : the truth.

About the finger prints, I think it was explained that you don't always leave fingerprints and you can't always find them. It means that if fingerprints are found it proves that you have touched the object, but if none are found it doesn't prove anything. Murray's fingerprints were found on that propofol bottle I think.

I totally agree. And this is why I don't understand how Murray's lawyer keeps acting like none of these things matter. It was established during Murray's trial that he could have done things to help Michael that he simply did not do. But so many people insist on making excuses for his epic stupidity. And nobody wants to confront him with the tough questions that seriously need to be asked. A man is dead because this doctor decided to just leave him alone under the influence of a powerful medical drug that the patient should not have been given in the first place no matter what. But this doctor, who has over twenty years of medical experience, gets sympathetically treated like a know-nothing feeble minded wimp who didn't have to have any more decent job sense than a five year-old. Really, what's so special about this so-called doctor that the rules of providing the standard for proper medical care don't apply to him?

Last edited:

I don't believe his appeal will be successful either, but he needs money, he's starting to promote his book. so he's been "filing for appeal" for months now. He wants to make it go on as long as possible, to make his story credible.
Now thanks to some Jacksons we can only count on some hypothetical journalist to really do their job, or maybe , hopefully, certain doctors will want to "correct" Murray's lies. Maybe someone like Dr Shafer.

Last edited:

The only good thing is the physco doesnt realisr or care that having no remorse or acknowledging what u did was wrong is hardly gonna help u get your licence back. thats if the medical boards care enough to take notice

I have a strong feeling that he will not get the license back in the US.

With all these drug stories going around, when will they get back to the issue that all these other drugs did not cause Michael's death?

I posted this earlier:
"She said the outcome of the appellate case could have some impact on pending medical board proceedings for Murray in Texas and California. The boards will decide whether to revoke Murray’s license to practice medicine in the two states."

He still have his licences in Texas and California, altough they are suspended but not revoked.
http://reg.tmb.state.tx.us/OnLineVe...asp?ID_NUM=481975&Type=LP&LicensePermit=M0502

I cannot bear to think if he gets his licences back if this trial goes as Jackson's have planned :puke:

Bubs, I don't think he'll get his licence back.

Only one doctor tried- and failed- to defend him at the trial. The California Medical Board has been trying since the beginning, since Murray was formally charged to suspend his licence. At least one doctor (Alon Steinberg) who testified for the prosecution is at the Medical Board.

No doctor can / will approve that. Medically speaking this is is a huge mistake, actually several huge mistakes. Whoever the patient is, and whatever the patient was doing. Even if they think Michael was the worst drug addict ever , Murray's job was simple : go to a specialist. If Murray was still going to do it anyway, (I mean give propofol), then do it safely : rent the right equipment. Monitor him.

And as Elusive said, he is not showing any remorse, he's not taking responsability.

As I said before, I think he 's only playing the victim on a large scale . He needs money.

Last edited:

I hope you are right Bouee, and this trial won't effect or switch the quilt from him to anyone else, then he can argue about his medical licence.

I think it could switch public sympathy, if it goes on like this, with journalists who let him lie. Then again, we can count on Murray to self destroy with a song or ghosts visions or the kind of crazy stuff he says sometimes.

But I really don't think it will work with medical professionals. Murray is responsible for his decisions. Whoever else might be responsible for the general situaltion, including Michael himself if some want to think that, will not change that. He bought the propofol, he set the drip, he didn't have the equipemnt, he didn't monitor him, he lied to the medical staff, etc... the list is long.

To get his licence back, the minimum he has to do is to admit his responsability and show remorse.

Last edited:

I think it could switch public sympathy, if it goes on like this, with journalists who let him lie. Then again, we can count on Murray to self destroy with a song or ghosts visions or the kind of crazy stuff he says sometimes.

But I really don't think it will work with medical professionals. Murray is responsible for his decisions. Whoever else might be responsible for the general situaltion, including Michael himself if some want to think that, will not change that. He bought the propofol, he set the drip, he didn't have the equipemnt, he didn't monitor him, he lied to the medical staff, etc... the list is long.

To get his licence back, the minimum he has to do is to admit his responsability and show remorse.

Yes. I agree with you. It's obvious that Murray has to shoulder some responsibility for Michael's death even with all the talk that goes on about Michael wanting Propofol. In my opinion, Murray had just as many choices as Michael did in this unfortunate situation if not more. Murray could have quit and gone back to his clinic and made his money. But no. Murray made the choice to continue working for Michael without knowing everything he needed to know about Michael's medical history. Murray made the choice to buy loads and loads of Propofol and then not tell the truth to the people who needed to know what was going on. Murray made the choice to not have or keep medical records. Murray made the choice to not have life-saving equipment. And even worse, Murray made the choice to leave Michael alone under the influence of Propofol. How can anybody, regardless of how they feel about Michael, condone that kind of behavior from a doctor, whose job it is to do their best at helping people stay alive? And there is no excuse for a doctor doing anything that steps outside the standard of care. Period.

Last edited:

Convicted felons don't exactly are what medical boards consider to be 'in good standing'. The guy will be lucky if he can pick up his own cough syrup at the pharmacy - not to mention that a convicted felon isn't exactly going to someone who will EVER see a prescription pad again to be able to prescribe anything.

"Convicted felon" means kissing a medical career goodbye. He can always apply for a license in another state - and guess what will show up on the screen?? "Convicted felon". US patients are fairly safe from him.

The problem in the US is that somebody who smoked a bong once might have a harder time finding work than someone who pushed a granny down the ramp in 'self-defense'.

Murray's marked. Btw, someone said that to get his license back he'd have to show remorse. Oh no! The 'war on drugs' in the US can sometimes lead to bizarre things like carding great-grandfathers for a pack of cigarettes, but anything dealing with substances that need a prescription pad - you are marked for the next few lives, at least in the US.

Back