Are there several versions of the Steeltown Records?

Sarah_MJ

Proud Member
Hi all,

I found these two albums and never really noticed that there are actually several different versions of the Steeltown songs out there:

This one is called "The original sessions":
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00632YU2S?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=dm_ws_ap_tlw_alb763

And this is "Michael the lover"

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003VD7F6K?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=dm_ws_ap_tlw_alb761

If you look closer, you see and hear that the tracks differ in duration and sound very much. Does anyone know a little background to this? Where do these different versions (there might even be more) come from?

Thanks!

I don't hear any difference? other than the quality is better on the Michael The Lover one. it's just 2 different looking cd's with the same songs? there's so many different looking cd's with these songs... I myself have like a zillion different ones :rolleyes: but they're all the same songs, only the quality and enhancement varies (like these 2)

I'm not at all talking about the cover, I'm talking about the sound, mix and duration of the songs. As I wrote above. There are clear differences and I would like to know more about them.

I know you are not talking about the cover....I was just explaining that there are different looking ones, but the songs are all the same, and only the quality and enhancement varies....like with these 2 cd's that you posted

I know you are not talking about the cover....I was just explaining that there are different looking ones, but the songs are all the same, and only the quality and enhancement varies....like with these 2 cd's that you posted

The songs vary in duration. I am trying to find out where the different versions come from. I guess they are all from Steeltown, but maybe someone knows some more details. That's what I'm asking.

The songs vary in duration. I am trying to find out where the different versions come from. I guess they are all from Steeltown, but maybe someone knows some more details. That's what I'm asking.
Gaz might know, Sarah. One time I was in the chatroom and I heard "Under the Boardwalk" playing and I asked about it-and the regulars there told me it was from the Steeltown songs-so he must have it.

I didn't know they did "Tracks of my Tears" at one point either (or I don't remember) :)

There are various versions of the steeltown recordings mainly in poor quality as they seem to have been recorded on a tape recorder in the Jacksons house. They are classed as "rehearsals". These tracks were then remixed and overdubbed in about 1993. So you have remixed and overdubbed versions and then you have the "rehearsals" and then you have the ones that were actually recorded and released as singles Big Boy/You've changed, We don't have to be over 21/Michael the lover and Jam sessions. Michael the lover is sometimes referred to as Some girls want me for their lover.

The best collections of the steeltown recordings I've come across are probably these:

The Steeltown 45's
The Jackson 5 - The magic collection (contains the original recordings)

According to some file collection that someone I know has compiled, there are:
  • the 1967 original recordings
  • the 1970 remixed versions (4 tracks: Big Boy and We Don't Have To Over 21 singles)
  • the 1989 remixed versions
  • the 1993 remixed versions
  • the 2014 One-deful Studio version (2 tracks: Big Boy and Big Boy (instrumental))
One of the rare tracks that is only found in the original recording is I Found A Love.

Back