Atheist thread

Re: Athesit Thread (For non-believers only)

Yeah, I feel that way myself. I mean, yeah, if a someone personally believes that a higher power has given them the will/strength/power/whichever to help them go about their day or tackle a project and if they feel they this higher power should get the credit, that's fine. I can see how a person with a religious background could feel that way. Me personally, I feel that we, as human beings, have created many wonderful works, be it art, music, film, inventions...what have ya. As I am not religious myself, I realize that, by our own hands and our own minds, we are the ones who are the creators, not the created.

In Michael's case, even though he does give a higher power credit for his talent, I will always give Michael credit. It's all due to him being such a hard worker with such talent, such creativity! And, like SoCav says, I'm pretty sure he himself was proud of his work, even though he didn't show it too much. I'd be proud, too, really.

who-killed-more-people-in-the-bible-god-or-satan.jpg

And Satan is the evil one?

It kind of puzzles how people can be offended for beliefs they can't even defend with evidence and/rationally. Just like when I posted what Michael said about karma. I don't mean patronizing my opinion but he is right until there's factual evidence stating the opposite. The same can be said about all religions.

"Fables should be taught as fables, myths as myths, and miracles as poetic fantasies. To teach superstitions as truths is a most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can he be in after years relieved of them."

"All formal dogmatic religions are fallacious and must never be accepted by self-respecting persons as final."
Hypatia of Alexandria (350-415 AD)

I couldn't agree more! She was a Greek philosopher and astronomer murdered by Christians.

Last edited:

New Darkmatter2525 video.

Some dark matter videos remind me of this book, Awkward Moments (not found in your average) Children's Bible depicting the most controversial, violent and even gorey passages in the bible. Seriously even with all the progress we've made since the Dark Ages, it's stunning most people take their "holy books" as a moral guidance. http://www.amazon.com/Awkward-Moments-found-average-Childrens-ebook/dp/B00G1744GM

Forgot to mention, this from Volume 1, there's a Volume 2.

Some clever and gorey illustrations...

the-awkward-moments-childrens-bible.jpg

AwkwardMomentsBible_Unicorns.jpg

AwkwardMomentsBible_LastSupper.jpg

On one of Darkmatter2525's videos he tackled one of the common arguments about existence. A religious person often argues that people are complex and intelligent beings and they would need a creator in order to exist. At the same time, they argue that whichever god they believe in always and existed and wasn't created. Gods are supposed to be much more complex and intelligent than humans. The funny thing is, they've accidentally debunked their own argument by admitting that a complex and intelligent being does not need a creator to exist. Oops...

The can't never agree with they they claim themselves, they say one thing and a minute later they deny it. Who needs a creator when we are made of stardust? It's way more beautiful than being created out of an alleged supreme being! :D

[h=1]“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements - the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life - weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode. So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.” -Lawrence Krauss, theoretical physicist[/h]

This quote from George Carlin about god always cracks me up

''He loves you, and he needs money! He's all powerful, all knowing. Somehow just can't handle money''

^That quote comes from the stand up You Are All Diseased, this part specifically where he talked about religion being bullshit. Everything George said on the subject cracked up.

I hear a lot of religious people say ''How can you look at a beautiful sunset and say there's no god''

It's funny how so many religious people give god credit for all the good things in the world like beautiful sunsets and puppies, but they never credit him for any of the bad and ugly stuff like cancer, diarrhea and Diane Diamond

"they never credit him for any of the bad and ugly stuff like cancer, diarrhea and Diane Diamond"

LOL!!! This is one of my favourite posts ever!

Interestingly, the xian bible actually says that god created evil. They don't like thinking about that though.

Interestingly, the xian bible actually says that god created evil. They don't like thinking about that though.

Yeah, that's somethin' to think about. So, if god created evil as well as bring satan/the devil/lucifer/whichever into existence then if we "let satan sway us and commit evil", why are WE being punished for it when it was god who's not willing to stop it in the first place.

It's like if I were to infect someone with a disease and then, I don't know, smack them for getting sick or something like that.

If god created evil then that must mean that he has an evil side to him. Which makes total sense. Anyone who reads the bible will know what god is very evil and vengeful

Which reminds me of this meme...

philosoraptor-meme-the-devil2.jpg

And god would the evil one since he created it, Luci should punish him.

I have some criticisms of the miracles that Jesus performed. These in no way prove that he was the son of god

1. Jesus turned water into wine - Many magicians can do that but no one is calling them the son of god

2. Jesus could walk on water - Again, this has been done by lots of magicians

3. Jesus cured the sick simply by lying hands on them - People like exist today and their called scam artists

4. Jesus fed thousands of people with 5 fish and two loaves of bread (Sorry if I got that backwards) - This is impressive, but if something like this happened today would people be calling this person the next messiah? Probably not. They might win a Chef of the year award though

If Jesus was really the son of god then he would have being doing things like moving the stars and turning the sun green. A couple of party tricks just doesn't cut it

Last edited:

Sopposedly in this forum is preached by some/many individuals the "be Michael-like mantra" but it's bullshit to be honest. The more years I spend on the site, the more I realize there's a strong intolerance towards people who dare to oppose religions, attacking/criticizing the ideas those stand for claiming their character and the whole community who profess such creeds were offended. Now it turns out I offended and I was disrespectful towards the Jewish community because I called the Jews who wrongly and unjustly accused him of antivsemitism, butthurts using such anti semitic attitude that was notorious in the WWII to make themselves the victims condemning Michael and forcing him to change his original message in TDCAU.

The fact I hold no respect towards any religion's belief systems, thinking of them as ridiculous and detrimental towards humankind, it doesn't make me anti theist. The fact I disagree with their way to see life using their theistic point of view, it doesn't mean I'm going to throw all believers under the bus.

*Rant over*

P.S. Forgot to add, I was banned for the first time here last year for using this quote as my signature. And I post it here to express how ridiculous I found the accusations towards me and their intolerance towards atheists.

The the difference between god and Santa

If Santa thinks you've been bad you get a lump of coal in your stocking
If god thinks you've been bad then your sent to hell where your burned and tortured for all time

I think it's a bit silly that anybody would be banned for having a quote from Hitchens as their signature. Has anyone been banned for having a signature that could be considered offensive to atheists? I hope there isn't a double standard here. That brings me to a frustration I have about the way some theists look at what atheists think. Some of them act as though our views aren't as valuable, meaningful or important as views of a theist. Why should religious belief be viewed as somehow being more special than what we think?

^I suspect there is because I haven't seen anyone being banned over having a biblical/theistic related quote as their signature, why? Because even if I find them unbelievable or ridiculous, they don't offend me to report them over their quote. I know there's a preferential treatment to theists here because they're the majority but even if some members found my former signature offensive, I've never attacked and disrespected their persona over their religious beliefs. Which made Gaz' ban ridiculous and excessive.

What I think Hitch meant is that Jebus is the fairy tale version of adults.

I'm atheist myself but I can see how someone would find that signature offensive. Because you are kind of mocking their god. I agree what the image says but I wouldn't put it to my signature. :)

Last edited:

I'm atheist myself but I can see how someone would find that signature offensive. Because you are kind of mocking their god. I agree what the image says but I wouldn't put it to my signature. :)

Yeah, I hate it when people mock me!

I wouldn't put signature that says: "Jesus is Santa Claus for adults". That is like you want to offend someone. :)

I agree some can find it offensive and it may be a mockery to their god but if they're so sure about their faith foundations, for them their god is real, why do they take it personal? If I were mocking their persona for being believers, I'd understand it but it's just satirizing their ideas which many theists don't do, they attack you directly.

Maybe so, but their entire belief system is that anyone who doesn't believe in their god deserves eternal torture, I find that to be much more offensive that a satirical signature. If anything there should have been a private message asking for the removal of the signature rather than a ban.

I hate the theistic part of Xmas (Mythmas) and most of the decoration but it's a good excuse to eat good food and spending time with your loved ones if you get along even getting presents (if people give you.) Whatever you celebrate Xmas, Saturnalia, I wish you're having/had a good time fellow atheist MJ fans.

1323010368341_8288285.png

1779165_753813084706957_2860032365661453652_n.jpg

10806207_386136588228373_3489176437791667139_n.jpg

TI guess people hate when others (in this case, a renowned astrophysicist) tell the truth right into their faces but I love Neil deGrasse Tyson for it. :D

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/...-morning-jokes-ignite-pious-furor-on-twitter/

Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Christmas morning jokes ignite pious furor on Twitter

Renowned astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson spent his Christmas morning composing a series of holiday-themed tweets that annoyed and outraged some Christians.

He began by pointing out the obvious:

QUESTION: ThIs year, what do all the world's Muslims and Jews call December 25th? ANSWER: Thursday

— Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson) December 25, 2014

(My comment) Not all believers celebrate Xmas (Christmyth/Mythmas) because Christianity is not the only religion in the world, even among it, there are different denominations. Witty but it's true.

Before moving into what many Christians considered “offensive” terrority:

On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world. Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642

(My comment) Unlike Jeebus, it's a fact Isaac Newton was born on that day and indeed changed how humankind saw the universe at his time. He was telling the truth again.

Nor were capitalists safe from his withering wit:

Merry Christmas to all. A Pagan holiday (BC) becomes a Religious holiday (AD). Which then becomes a Shopping holiday (USA).

(My comment) Not a secret Christians were a bunch of shameless thieves who stole many pagan traditions to take over the population to convert them. And yes, that celebration is an ode to consumerism around the world, not just USA.

Which is not to say that he did not make at least one attempt to apply his knowledge to a common Christmas question:

Santa knows Physics: Of all colors, Red Light penetrates fog best. That's why Benny the Blue-nosed reindeer never got the gig

:lol:

Needless to say, many were not amused:

.@neiltyson logg off nerd

— Chris Holidayname (@NationalTragedy) December 25, 2014

@neiltyson you're even a Jackass on Christmas huh?

— IamEvilHomer (@Trent_Hill) December 25, 2014

(My comment) Being witty but truthful not attacking people's persona unlike this sad dude equates being a jackass, WOW!

@AJDelgado13 @neiltyson Only a small & uncharitable man would take time on Xmas morning 2 take shots but Merry Christmas to you anyway Neil.

— Don Schaum (@don11cs) December 25, 2014

(My comment) Atheists, agnostics, secular humanists are very charitable people, sometimes even more than Christians.

@neiltyson I thought u were supposed to b a smart man? Guess having a high IQ doesn't mean having intelligent in the conventional sense.

— Haywood Jablome (@Rustynails1) December 25, 2014

(Comment) Neil is indeed smarter than him, than many of us and has the INTELIGENCE to write a coherent sentence, trust me.

@neiltyson This is disrespectful to Christians. Jesus created the science you cherish so much. Everyone finds God eventually, you will too.

(My comment) Deities and science are man-made but science has made us to evolve, to change, to have more knowledge and getting out of the darkness religion had us in.

— Brian Fagioli (@brianfagioli) December 25, 2014

@neiltyson Weather forecast for the deGrasse Tyson household today: smug with a 90% chance of arrogance. #JesusIsTheReasonForTheSeason

— Rep. Steve Smith (@RepStevenSmith) December 25, 2014

(Comment) Winter solstice and all those stolen pagan celebrations are the reason for the season.

And — because it’s Twitter — the conversation had to turn political:

@neiltyson Looking fwd to witty jabs during the spiritual days of Islam, Buddhism, Judaism etc. Or is it reserved for the easiest target?

— Randy Crews (@mcallencpa) December 26, 2014

:doh:

Last edited:

I like these cartoons.

Here's a comment that I heard from a dumb Christian today

''We need religion, because without religion everyone would turn gay''

Wow. That's a complete failure to understand how sexuality works. Plus, what about all the xian people who come out as gay after years of trying and praying not to be?

Here' something I find funny

If one person, and one person alone believed that a magic man, with a long flowing white beard created a universe, and then created the earth in 7 days, and then created man from dust, and then woman from man's rib, and then came to earth as his own son to die for our sins. Everyone would think that person is a lunatic

Back