BAD 25 - 2012 - General Discussion [Closed] please cont. discussion in BAD25 Announcement thread

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BAD 25 - 2012 - General Discussion Thread

14 tracks would be awesome. But with the last full album containing just 10 songs and the last bonus CD (TII album) containing 4 songs, I prefer not to set my expectations too high.

14 tracks? Aren't you being a little too optimistic now guys? :)

On the unreleased songs/remix CD, I expect 3-5 unreleased songs/demos of released BAD songs + 3-4 remixes.

It'll leak on the 31st, I think. Immortal leaked around now, so I think we'll get it anyday now.

:shifty:
Jackson_popcorn.gif

Im goning to wait for the leak. haha

Michael probably never released the tour because he didn't have any other source.
No, he said he never wanted Bad Tour Second Leg specifically to ever be released. There have been some newspaper articles and in Moon Walk he also writes about it. He probably knew that it was BWT 1988 that generated the most hype and he did not want it to be lost.

He'd rather have fans see him live.

Sadly I was proven right, I always had this thought that this concert wouldn't be released until after he left us.

plse read this, a great finding from ouir friend Bernard @ mjstreet.net:

Grading Michael Jackson
by Warren Eagles

My first real grading job was on the Michael Jackson Bad tour in 1988, directed by Patrick Kelly. I was an assistant telecine operator at Visions, located in Soho, London. As an assistant I laced the film, loaded the film cleaner and pressed REC on the 1” VTR. I spent the time in between these duties and lots of my own time observing and learning the nuances of the industry. Visions had 2 senior telecine ops Mark Baugh and Luke Rainey who were both particularly knowledgeable and were an invaluable part of my education. Just watching them grade then asking questions at the right moment was a great way to learn.

The concert was shot on a mixture of 35mm and 16mm film, it seemed at times they were shooting film for fun! The crew filmed 2 nights out of the 5 Wembley stadium gigs, film was also fed from the earlier tour legs in Australia, Japan, and Europe. As an accompanying piece to the concert, an “on the road” documentary was also filmed at the same time. The concert was cut in a 4 machine 1” online edit suit, not offlined. This was before Avid of FCP offline so the alternative would have been a lowband umatic or ¾ edit. As soon as the film came in from the lab we would be transferring it, feeding the footage on to 2 hungry edit suites.

It is still the biggest music project I have ever been involved with in terms of volume of footage. We would load each negative film lab roll onto the Rank MK111 telecine machine then set the counter to a known sync point on the film. So LR 10 would be TC 10:00:00:00. The sync point would be the start mark on the film leader.

There had been a hold up one day at the lab so the pressure was off and Mark said to me “why don’t you jump on the desk and grade a few rolls,” I jumped at it.

I played the film roll into the first song and checked our presets for color and framing. The colorists had set presets based on the different film stock types. Kodak 5248 slightly warmer than the 500ASA variety. I made some small adjustments all looked good and matched the previous work so I rewound the negative slowly to the film leader and then started to record from the Picture Start mark on the leader. To match a shot from a previous camera roll, we had to load that tape, find the shot we wanted to match to, then wipe to it with a vision mixer, no still store back then. The exposure and color balance were adjusted on the fly as the 1’’ VTR was recording. I initially couldn’t adjust the controls quickly enough so found that the exposure was changing during a usable piece of MJ’s performance. This meant we had to stop recording, adjust the shot then pick up the edit on a suitable camera flash or clapperboard. As I became more experienced I leant to change the controls fast enough to keep recording. This type of fly grading was a great way of learning instinctively which way to adjust the joysticks without looking at the Vector scope or Waveform monitor. The key here was consistence as there was to be no final grade. Fly grading is something junior graders don’t do much anymore because film dailies from a TK machine are becoming less frequent. Film is more likely to be transferred to a file then graded. It was a great way to learn how to grade, not just well but quickly.

The single “Another part of me” was cut from some of my early telecine work. The music video was cut from footage shot in London and Paris, that shows you how tight Jackson’s performance was. As far as I know the complete concert and documentary has never been released. A disappointing waste as the film managed to capture Jackson at his peak. Jackson never came into Visions during the project but Frank Dileo, his cigar smoking manager, visited a couple of times.

http://icolorist.com/grading-michael-jackson/

Wembley Bad Tour '88 DVD Artwork:
mjliveatwembleyde133847.jpg

I don't really like the official cover, so i wanted to do something else, colorful.
bwtp.jpg

Last edited:

I don't really like the official cover, so i wanted to do something else, colorful.
badliveatwembley.jpg

That's really creative and awesome! I'd take this over the official one any day as well (I still think MJJLatvia's is the best)

Thank you!!

Where can i find MJJLatvia's cover?

^^ Love your cover, szarkad...I love fan art, it's always made out of love :D

If only that Bluray cover was real :wild:

What a fail, amagad!

Fortunately, I saved it as a psd :p

bwtp.jpg

What a fail, amagad!

Fortunately, I saved it as a psd :p

bwtp.jpg

This one should be for the blu-ray boxset- Bad Tour 87-88-89! Love this Artwork! Awesome!

[youtube]RUvig_pFSZM[/youtube] Watch!

Live in Hockenheim 1988 - This is the quality I would least expect on the DVD. And this is mega compressed to Youtube taken from repots (not source). This also shows another show which was recorded profesionally.

I really don't like the official DVD cover. It looks more like it was designed to be part of a box set as opposed to a standalone purchase. The picture doesn't quite fit to me. Szarkad, your cover is awesome.

OK... I have had log in issues for weeks upon weeks and finally am logged in and my first time I get to post about Bad25..

I start off by saying.. OOOOMMMMGGGGG We are getting Wembley 1988 BAD concert.. We have waited for so long for this. I did not expect (while still hoping) that Sony would take this and release it.. I would tell the people that are constantly mentioning the 'poor' quality that it's something to look past and get over. Yes ideally it would be crystal clear but at this point we are getting what we have asked for for YEARS.

The only reason why people are complaining is because it is a official release, when Royal Brunei concert was leaked and it did not have great quality I didn't see one person complain. Belieeeve me if Sony had great quality footage they would not hold onto it, it would sell more in Hi-Res. It's that simple, I for one am thankful that they are willing to release it even when it is not perfect quality instead of holding it for 5+ years when the technology is out to fine tune even not good res video.

For now of course they will do what they can to enhance color, and do what they can but we are not in position to complain about something when they don't have the means of making it happen. If the video quality bugs you say it once, maybe twice if responding to someone about it and leave it alone. (my opinion any way)

I am not trying to step on any toes, which I could only asume I am since toes around here bruise very easily but, hey I am in a good mood about this and I think everyone that is there with me has the right to have a place to enjoy and soak in it for once. We don't get it often, so lets enjoy it.

If someone wants to create "i'm a Debbie downer BAD 25" thread go ahead, and us people that wanna enjoy will stay hear to celebrate. OR if people prefer we can create a "I'm excited about BAD 25" thread. which ever.

BAD 25... Thank You God for giving us the opportunity to watch this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back