Bad 25 - What's your Favourite Song ? ... and why? + Poll

Bad 25 - What's your Favourite Song ? ... and why?

• Don't be messin' 'round

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I'm So Blue

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • Song Groove (A/K/A Abortion Papers)

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Free

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Price Of Fame

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • Al Capone

Votes: 55 31.4%

• Total voters
JAB;3707706 said:
Price of Fame, has a lot of narrative, obviously giving Michael's circumstances as a phenomenal superstar but It seems to hold a lot a narrative in the song, despite the verses continuously being repeated. I like the way that Michael's backing vocals are used as a subtle beat, the words "Do Ya'" are continuously repeated much like 'Who Is It's beat boxing usage. which very much challenges the titles track of "Price of Fame", Do you pay the price of fame or can you get away without paying it? Sadly, Michael kep't "living to win" but eventually the Price of Fame ultimately killed him.

'Price of Fame' is really interesting in regards to the lyrics and expanding on Michael's relationship with his Father.

"my father always told me you will live a quiet life... if you are reaching for fortunate and fame and i feel the pressure sinkin' in, I'm living just to win, I'm feelin' all this pain... don't you ever complain, It's the price of fame, you pay the price for fame"

"my father never lies... so don't be feeling this way boy!"

I don't know if I'm making this up in my own head but Price of Fame really seems to demonstrate and show a aggressive side of Michael. Michael uses the line "my father always told me you will live a quiet life... if you are reaching for fortune and fame" As if it is once a conversation that he had when he was much younger, Perhaps this was Joseph's bribery to Michael to get him to perform more and encourage his ambition and his exhaustion of talent to make money? Of course, The lyrics are not true to his fathers words and instead 'reaching for fortune and fame' did very much the opposite and put Michael In the spotlight more, in contrast to what Joseph said to Michael when he was a young kid. Michael's aggressive stance enters in when he sings the line "my farther never lies!... my farther never lies... my farther never lies" given that this was the 80's Michael's success had obviously peaked and Michael from this obviously learnt that his father deceived him so therefore using the line in the song becomes sarcastic and almost hindering at his farthers hypocritical and deceitful words back when he was younger. "Don't you ever complain!" also, sounds like another line taken from Joseph which really shows off just how hypocritical and devious he was, considering what he originally said to Michael about "my farther always told me you will live a quiet life... if you are reaching for fortunate and fame" Michael also asks his father, the audience, the listeners to "stand in his shoes", I think, mainly aimed at Joseph this line suggests that after all the years he would like Joseph to come stand in his shoes and see what he has done by persuading Michael to reach for fortune and fame, Fame did not give Michael a quiet life, It destroyed his life and benefited everyone financially and Michael payed the cost.

I could keep going on but ultimately, It's a great song. It's a emotional roller-coaster with a strong narrative expressing and exhausting the stress of fame, angst, upset and naivety of people slandering Michael when they should instead "come stand in his shoes" Plus, it's really insightful to Michael's relationship with his dad which hasn't been used so vocally in many songs.

Joseph (and I have to add Katherine as well) seem to believe they did the best for Michael when they pushed him on stage as a child and taking away his childhood. They seem to think money and fame should have made him happy and they do not seem to grasp, even now, what this whole thing did to his psyché. When I see Joe or Katherine doing interviews and talk about Michael I have never seen a moment when I thought: "Okay, finally they understand Michael's pain" and acknowledge it that he had good reasons to feel that way. I always had the feeling they thought he was just "whining" (and the media thought so too) and they thought with the money and fame he should be happy. Because that's the thing they seem to value. IMO that's what "Don't you ever complain!" is about. I can see Joe telling him: "What problems do you have? I made you rich, I made you famous. You should be happy. Don't you ever complain!" (And the media basically wrote such things about Michael too - esp. around HIStory, when they said he was just "whining", when, in fact, he had very legit reasons to complain.)

Definitely Price of Fame. My kind of groovy song with a message to it + very good vocals. I'm not saying that I don't like ballads, but I must be in a certain state of mind to listen to them.

in this order for me of the new songs

al capone
price of fame
song groove aka abortion papers
im so blue
don't be messin' 'round
free

dont get me wrong i like mjs slower songs but i like to groove more

and my favorite bad era songs in order now are

streetwalker
al capone
cheater
price of fame
song groove aka abortion papers
fly away
we are here to change the world
im so blue
don't be messin' 'round
free

well done estate / sony great package of songs

1 hope for the future

chicago 1945
make or break

see the light of day soon. also of subject

i have heard 3 songs that i always wanted to hear
i hope for Men in Black and California Grass wanna hear what they sound like

Don't be messin' 'round - 3,5

I'm So Blue - 4,5

Song Groove (A/K/A Abortion Papers) - 4,5

Free - 3

Price Of Fame - 4

Al Capone - 5

Jab said:
Michael uses the line "my father always told me you will live a quiet life... if you are reaching for fortune and fame" As if it is once a conversation that he had when he was much younger, Perhaps this was Joseph's bribery to Michael to get him to perform more and encourage his ambition and his exhaustion of talent to make money? Of course, The lyrics are not true to his fathers words and instead 'reaching for fortune and fame' did very much the opposite and put Michael In the spotlight more, in contrast to what Joseph said to Michael when he was a young kid.

I'm sure the lyrics are 'my father always told me you won't live a quiet life if you're reaching for fame'. I don't think even joe could suggest that fame and fortune wd lead to a quiet life,lol. In any case, i'm not sure those lyrics are literally true. Like respect, i see mj's parents' sole preoccupation being money, i've never seen from them any insight into the downsides of fame. Mj could be remembering what other adults said to him when he was growing up about the pitfalls of fame, berry gordy perhaps - who was a father figure, or stevie wonder? It's sad, but i don't think his actual father would ever have given him that type of fatherly advice.

I think price of fame is my fave demo. I find these type of songs really really poignant, as he clearly felt in the mid 80s this tremendous strain, so it's difficult when you realise how that pressure is set to increase to unbearable levels.

Last edited:
Finally I voted. After several listening it's still hard to decide but I vote for Price of Fame now. I also think Free is a bit underrated compared to the other four songs, I love it. Overall I love all of them - DBMA is a bit weaker but the other five songs are all very strong and could have been hits if released.

Don't be messin' 'round - 3,5

I'm So Blue - 5

Song Groove (A/K/A Abortion Papers) - 4,5

Free - 4

Price Of Fame - 4,5

Al Capone - 5

My favourite is Al Capone, the chorus stucks in my head, and I also love I'm So Blue. Price of fame and Song Groove have a great groove and MJ Vocals are very powerful.

All six songs are an enrichment to the catalogue & the legacy!

GOLD RANK: Price Of Fame / I'm So Blue
SILVER RANK: Abortion Papers / Al Capone
BRONZE RANK: Don't Be Messin' 'Round / Free

Thank You so much Michael, for continuing to hand me & us these overwhelming precious presents. You are THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME. THE KING.
Also thank you to the Estate Of Michael Jackson, for this PERFECT project, which is 'BAD25'.
Happy Birthday to the GREAT GREAT Bad Album.. Let the celebrations begin...

Maybe they did a different version for Dangerous or later. I don't know.

Even though DBMA from the Bad Sessions is among the weaker unreleased tracks, I wouldn't be surprised if MJ was able to add a touch of magic during the Dangerous sessions to really make it a standout track...the melody is there. Look at AC and Smooth Criminal.

My rating after playing the new songs a lot:

Don't be messin' 'round 4

I'm So Blue 2,5

Song Groove (A/K/A Abortion Papers) 5

Free 2

Price Of Fame 4

Al Capone 4,5

I think the lyrics are "you won't live a quiet life" (?)

Although Abortion Papers is now playing in my head, Price Of Fame is my number one song of this release. It captures the tragic life the fame brought him. The pre-chorus is my favourite part. It has the classic narrative story telling Michael also uses in other great songs like Billie Jean, Leave me Alone and Who is it. In my opinion it could have been a great addition to the Bad album, if we didn't have Leave Me Alone as the anti-press song of the album.

The ending of Free makes me giggle 'Chris you're so silly' :D

1. I'm So Blue
2. Abortion Papers
3. Free
4. Price of Fame
5. Don't Be Messin' 'Round
6. Al Capone

Just not really feeling Al Capone right now. Maybe that'll change. I'm So Blue is on constant repeat the last few days I've listened to the songs and each time it puts me on a nice natural high. All the songs might change, but I definitely think I'm So Blue will be my #1 no matter what.

1. Al Capone
2. Abortion papers
3. Free
4. Price of fame
5. Im so blue
6. Dont be messing around

Last edited:
voted for I'm So Blue, nice song with beautiful voice and chorus. Maybe the more original of the lot for MJ (with DBMA)

1. I'm So Blue
2. Price of Fame
3. Al Capone
4. Abortion Papers
5. Don't Be Messin' Around
6. Free

for now...

Aw.. that's one easy poll.... clear runaway winner

1. Al Capone
2. Free
3. I'm so blue
4. Price of Fame
5. Don't be messing around
6. Abortion Papers
Not feeling abortion at all ...

My rating on each songs:

Don't Be Messin 'Round- 4/5

I'm So Blue- 4/5

Song Groove ("Abortion Papers)- 5/5

Free- 5/5

Price of Fame- 5/5

Al Capone- 5/5

I personal love 3 songs "Al Capone", "Song Groove" (Abortion Papers) and "Fame"

I love them all but I have to say "I'm So Blue" is my favorite!!! What a beautiful song

Al Capone is what I have sung the most. Abortion Papers is right behind for the same reason.

1. Price of Fame
2. Al Capone
3. Free
4. Don't Be Messin' Around
5. I'm So Blue
6. Abortion Papers

1. I'm So Blue
2. Al Capone
3. Price of Fame
4. Abortion Papers
5. Don't Be Messin' 'Round
6. Free