Best of Joy - Original Version

I think John is the only one that actually tries to update the tracks whilst keeping as much of the original vibe present as possible. His stuff has been my favourite for this reason. Agreed that Teddy butchered Hollywood Tonight. He really didn't need to change the entire vibe of the song and discard MJ's own written lyrics to write his own.

I think John is the only one that actually tries to update the tracks whilst keeping as much of the original vibe present as possible. His stuff has been my favourite for this reason.
Agreed. Even when he’s taking a bare bones demo and building a new track around it, like with “This Is It” and “Love Never Felt So Good,” it still holds true to the MJ style and tonality. I was so excited when it came out that he was leading the charge on new music before LN dropped.

Agreed. Even when he’s taking a bare bones demo and building a new track around it, like with “This Is It” and “Love Never Felt So Good,” it still holds true to the MJ style and tonality. I was so excited when it came out that he was leading the charge on new music before LN dropped.
Yeah I thought that was interesting, and John being in charge is very appealing, if it's gonna be remixed them him overseeing it is probably best case scenario. Seemed like they had a plan for releasing music. Wonder if they'll go back to it or if they are not really focused on music releases nowadays. Seems they didn't even want to release T40.

I love his remix of TWYLM! Not as good as the original but there’s still a lot to love. And even then, his take of “Best of Joy” elevated an otherwise forgettable song to something ethereal. That alone gives me the utmost confidence in him.
Best of Joy never was forgettable. The magic was there from the start.

A possibly stupid question but.. did Michael actually left behind 100% finished songs? Songs that were not on one of the albums or B-sides he made/approved of..? To me everything else I heard seems unfinished and generally still lacking 'something' (however small)

A possibly stupid question but.. did Michael actually left behind 100% finished songs? Songs that were not on one of the albums or B-sides he made/approved of..? To me everything else I heard seems unfinished and generally still lacking 'something' (however small)
It depends, 100% finished in the way that it has full vocals and fleshed out production? Yes. Finished in a way that MJ himself would consider it finished? No. The answers are extremely relative.

If it's the former though there are some I guess, GYWOOM for example has full vocals and finalized production and was even mastered for TUC.

It depends, 100% finished in the way that it has full vocals and fleshed out production? Yes. Finished in a way that MJ himself would consider it finished? No. The answers are extremely relative.

If it's the former though there are some I guess, GYWOOM for example has full vocals and finalized production and was even mastered for TUC.
Well like I even doubted that anything else has full vocals, like full, FULL vocals, lol. The stuff that was on let's say Thriller were mostly much more vocally and musically layered than a 'Hot Street'; which is generally considered 'finished'. But if it's true what you say about GYWOOM than that would be a finished product yes

Finished in a way MJ would consider finished is even more relative yes, since he would probably go on and on till someone forced him to release it.

Best of Joy never was forgettable. The magic was there from the start.
It’s subjective I suppose. “The Toy” is pretty mediocre in my opinion, whereas “Best of Joy” is phenomenal. Of course the production is different and the magic had to be on the original track, but Neff-U did wonders with it and turned it into something memorable.

As much as I love his work, his attitude towards MJ’s music (refusing to listen to the original tracks because they’d “throw him off”) is immensely disrespectful.
Funnily enough, he said that because he heard Blue Gangsta, hence why his work there is so half-and-half.

I wish I had y'alls ears because I simply can't like the original version lmao. Unless if everyone is talking about the 2001 rework, then I understand since that version has more power than the one on Xscape. I still prefer the 2014 remix slightly more though.

I wish I had y'alls ears because I simply can't like the original version lmao. Unless if everyone is talking about the 2001 rework, then I understand since that version has more power than the one on Xscape. I still prefer the 2014 remix slightly more though.
My ears look like Mr Spocks I doubt you'd want them

The later revisions of Blue Gangsta are better than the basic original, yes that is true. There was a 2008/2010 rework as well also?

The released version appears to be the earliest demo recorded, circa 1998. According to Damien Shields, the leaked one was done in spring/summer 1999.
My favourite is the leaked version from 1999.

I wonder why they released the 1998 version, but not the more complete 1999 or 2001 version.

Back