Best pop music dancer since MJ?

MJJA

Proud Member
After seeing him performing in recent times I have to say that I think Jason Derulo might have surpassed everyone to be the best dancer in popular music since MJ in his prime of the late eighties to mid nineties.
Your thoughts?

Chris Brown is a great, skilfull dancer IMO though not on the artistic/creative/originality level of MJ.

I never saw Jason Derulo dance. Can you show us some examples?

Love Jason Derulo, but I'd say either him or Ne-Yo! Ne-Yo's voice and music style also, perfect.

I would turn to Chris Brown to answer your thread, but I don't think that dance is used much or even at all regarding today's music. I think it's a BIG part that is missing from modern music personally.
Even though this doesn't really apply to your thread question, I think that Janet Jackson is the only one to ever come as close to Michael as possible - partly because they both make the back up dancers look inferior to them. Also, the way Janet dances is so on point that it strongly reminds me of Michael and like him, she stands out. They both had complex dance routines that many people attempt but can't match! :D Their dance routines incorporate similar elements from both of their different works - for example, in 'The Pleasure Principle' Janet does this:
giphy.gif
in early 1987 and then later in the same year Michael did the same action for 'The Way You Make Me Feel':
bJ-I4a.gif

Michael said himself that they both came up with the same ideas at the same time on numerous occasions which also helps to show that their dance style and the way they danced was so similar :) I think MJ was the best male dancer and JJ is the best female dancer, in my opinion :D

I don't know who is best, but I like these:

New Edition
Paula Abdul
Janet Jackson
Aaliyah
Chayanne
Madonna
Salt n Pepa
Kid n Play
Shanice Wilson
Zelma Davis (C+C Music Factory)
P!nk
Mya
Vanessa Williams

I don't really listen to her music, but Ciara is pretty good

Shouldn't this be in the general music forum though? This is not really about MJ.

I'm not sure who to pick, but for those unfamiliar with Chris Brown, here's an excellent MJ inspired one-take:

Chris Brown is a great, skilfull dancer IMO though not on the artistic/creative/originality level of MJ.

I never saw Jason Derulo dance. Can you show us some examples?
I'm not familiar with Jason Derulo except that I know he is one of the judges on SYTYCD this year. Found this where he performed with the dancers on the first show. Looks like his version of "Thriller." :)

The ONLY pop singer that has caught my eye since 1990 has to be Bruno Mars-I was three rooms over the first time I heard him sing and I went running down the halls just to see who the heck I was listening to-not sure if you all are talking about video or live performance-but his moves live come straight from the well of Jackie Wilson/James Brown.

I'm not familiar with Jason Derulo except that I know he is one of the judges on SYTYCD this year. Found this where he performed with the dancers on the first show. Looks like his version of "Thriller." :)

Yeah, that's a great choreography. I think very Thriller/Ghosts-esque. Possibly inspired by both.

I would have to say Chris Brown and Omarion... Those to me are the two that have true love for dance outside of being singers.. As in - they were not singers they would have strived to be famous dancers..

Bruno got some moves,Derulo aint bad.. Ne-Yo cannot dance to save lol!, ummm Usher is fairly good.

The one thing with Chris. When I watch him live I sometimes think he is to loose through his limbs when he needs to be tighter and more dynamic.
Chris has a great flow but there is something about him live that just doesn't blow me away even though he is really talented as a dancer.

^ I know exactly what you mean.. I think it's PARTIALLY have to do with his body type.. He's 6ft/skinny gives a more lanky look to his movements too.. that tends not to look as 'tight'...

To be fair though MJ was not that much shorter and while not lanky he was skinny and still he was as tight and sharp as anyone.

Back