Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Re: Brad Sundberg seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

Hopefully all this sessions are recorded, and at some stage he could sell DVD of these sessions.
Could someone perhaps suggest this to him on facebook? I'd also be interested. And the book, of course.

Michael Jackson studio alumni to reunite for thrilling Orlando seminar on recording the King of Pop
by Damien Shields Posted on February 5, 2014

matt-forger-michael-jackson-3-e1391539758394.jpg

The King of Pop’s longtime recording engineer, Matt Forger, will join forces with the pop icon’s former studio technical director, Brad Sundberg, in Orlando this Saturday (February 8, 2014) for an extra-special installment of Sundberg’s ‘In The Studio With MJ’ music seminar.

“I’m terribly excited and I feel fortunate that I am able to come on board with what Brad has initiated and what he has created,” said Forger. “To be able to do this with Brad is going to be a lot of fun. When we worked together with Michael we got along famously.”

Forger brings a fresh new dynamic to the seminar, having worked intimately on the “Thriller” album (1982) and Captain EO film soundtrack (1986) – both of which were completed before Sundberg joined the team. These two projects will be where Forger focuses most of his energy.

“This is real-deal stories and music from the man who was there for Thriller, and who recorded and mixed Captain EO,” said Sundberg on his ‘In The Studio With MJ’ Facebook page.

Following the completion of Captain EO, Sundberg and Forger worked both together and separately on a range of iconic Jackson projects including the “Bad,” “Dangerous,” “HIStory,” and “Blood on the Dance Floor” studio albums, as well as video mixes, dance mixes, world tours, and more.

Believe it or not, Forger, whose highly-coveted career centred largely around his ability to bring the musical ideas Michael Jackson was hearing in his head to fruition in the studio, never studied music or recording.

“Instead I studied fine arts,” explained Forger in an exclusive interview conducted for this article. “And all the time that I worked on projects with Quincy, or with Michael, I tried to learn as much about what they were doing as possible, so that I could continue to get better at what I did.”

“When different people would work with Michael, everyone would work in a slightly different style,” recalled Forger. “Bruce Swedien was the person whose sound was the RnB sound. The big, beautiful, pulsating bass. The beautiful ballads. Bill Bottrell’s sound was the quirky songs and the rock n roll songs. And then when Teddy Riley worked with him he had the New Jack Swing sound. Bryan Loren’s style and sound was really quite funky.”

“And I realised that when I came to work with Michael, I didn’t bring a sound. Because of my studies in fine arts and creativity it was my goal to understand what was in Michael’s head, and how his creativity was forming the songs, and to try to pull that out and to remain faithful to what was in Michael’s head and capture that character. It’s what I call acting as a facilitator. It wasn’t my goal to say ‘Oh how about we get it sounding like this Michael.” It was more like ‘Michael, how to we get this sound the way you’re imagining it?’”

The key to capturing the magic was, as Michael Jackson often said himself, to get out of the way of the music and let the music write itself. Forger tells how he made a conscious effort not to get in the way of the music.

“When I worked in the studio with Michael, and I worked many years with him, I always felt I didn’t want to analyse it,” explains Forger. “I didn’t want to disturb the vibe. Because what I found about working in the studio is you have to be in the moment – especially working with Michael. You have to be in the moment with him, and I thought that if I thought about it too much I might disturb that.”

Forger’s contributions to ‘In The Studio With MJ’ on Saturday will by no means be his first public speaking engagement. The seasoned engineer has previously spoken about the music industry, and his work with Michael Jackson, on a variety of panels, in workshops and at seminars, and is looking to continue sharing his wealth of knowledge with new audiences.

“I have recently begun examining and writing about my experiences and now I really want to pass this knowledge on,” says Forger. “To the college audiences. To those who are studying music and music recording, plus all students in general; because the lessons I’ve learned from working with Michael Jackson apply to whichever field it is that you wish to pursue. I cannot imagine a better person to use as an example of achieving success, of having work ethic, focus, motivation and discipline in creativity.”

“Recalling some of the musical moments from the making of this legendary music will be great fun for us and should be enlightening for everyone who attends,” said Forger in a recent press release. “It is going to be terrific to play some of the large number of mixes of tracks from all the projects we worked on. Brad and I have enjoyed so many different aspects of the creative process of Michael’s singles and albums and it will be exciting to share them.”

Sundberg has presented his ‘In the Studio with MJ’ sessions all over the world and says he loves the “no script” approach that concentrates on the “stories, music and home videos” of many extraordinary sessions.

“With the presentations of music, videos, personal behind-the-scenes stories and photos, this is a unique opportunity for people interested in the music industry, and in Michael Jackson in particular, to see, hear and learn what it was like to work side-by-side with a true music legend,” said Sundberg.

The seminar will take place from 12-noon to 8pm on Saturday, February 8 at Starke Lake Studios in Orlando and is strictly limited to 50 attendees.

“This event is ideal for anyone who is a fan of Michael’s music, or who is curious about how those albums were recorded and the staggering amount of tapes, tracks and time that was put into them,” Forger adds.

The entire presentation will be played through the exact speakers that many of Michael Jackson’s studio projects were mixed on. Dinner, featuring Jackson’s favorite foods, will also be provided in honor of him and his love of eating together, as a family.

Click here to book your tickets today!
http://inthestudiowithmj.com/seminar

I love reading about Michael's creativity.

Finally we discovered the solution: The Fostex T20. Michael tried them and reached for the volume control. Now, I like loud music, I really do - but the volume that Michael would listen to and sing along with on those T20's was mindblowing! He loved them, and they became our must-have in every studio we worked in.

So, if you want to listen to Michael's music through the same headphones that he was listening to when he created it, skip the Beat's By Dre and pick up a pair of Fostex T20's. (They cost 1/3 as much!) You may not look like everyone else, but you'll know the back-story - these were the headphones that Michael used). Michael always marched to his own drumbeat - shouldn't you?
I actually googled those headphones and I might get them. :D

In The Studio With Michael Jackson

Attention "In The Studio With MJ" fans, and those curious about what it is: Matt Forger is enroute to Orlando, and all systems are go for a very special weekend of music, stories, memories, photos, videos and surprises!

1625590_251948181645750_1971256213_n.jpg

Saturday we will be at Starke Lake Studios for a day you will not soon forget. Matt has been working like crazy putting together some pretty amazing stuff. I will bring my extended "ITSWMJ" multimedia presentation, and my favorite sidekick and daughter Amanda will be there to keep everything on track. You get three for the price of one!

My rockstar chef Linda is in the kitchen, pulling out all the stops to prepare a meal for you worthy of Michael himself.

On Sunday we will meet up at EPCOT for a private showing of Captain EO, hosted by Matt himself. Matt recorded and mixed the music for Captain EO back in the 80's, so who better to share some back-stories?

I am so excited to see many of my previous guests (aka "Studio Rats") coming back to join me again! I can't think of a greater compliment, and I am very grateful and excited to see you!

If you have not yet purchased your ticket, you still have time. This is a weekend event not to be missed!

Hear things you have never heard.
See thins you have never seen.
Learn things you never knew.

In The Studio With MJ - Orlando 2014

Will You Be There?

Get your tickets here:
https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj---orlando

In The Studio With Michael Jackson

So check it out... Matt Forger is here, in my house, sharing a glass of wine with me and we are plowing through stories and memories! He is reminding me of stuff that I had forgotten! The stink-bomb at Record One during the Dangerous album; The PYT demo that Matt recorded with Michael, on and on.

Guys, if I weren't part of Saturday's seminar, I would be buying a ticket - it is going to be amazing. Matt is a solid guy and a very good friend, it is a pleasure to have him around for few days.

You still have 36 hours. That's enough time to fly in from almost anywhere on the planet! Brad and Matt, in the studio together for the first time in years.

In The Studio With MJ - Orlando

Starke Lake Studios

February 8, 2014

Can You Feel It?

https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj---orlando

I am loving this. The very people who knew and loved Michael and witnessed first hand his genius are keeping his legacy alive. The positivity is amazing. Keep up the good work guys.

So I think he mentioned that he's gonna do LA this summer??? I sure hope so, cuz I'm feeling friggin' butthurt that I'm missing out on such incredible seminars lol...

[h=5]In The Studio With Michael Jackson
[/h]What a weekend!! To my "Studio Rats," Matt and I want to say a huge thank-you!" The Orlando/EO seminar was a great success, and it was a pleasure to meet and spend time with all of you. Several more seminars are in the works, and I will have announcements coming this week. As expected, it was an amazing weekend of friends, laughter and music. More to come, but this was awesome, so thanks again.

So did anyone that attended notice if he recorded the seminar or not?

hey does anyone know if there's any more audio of these things (other than that one)?? god i'd love to hear them.

Today's FB posting from Brad:
(Nothing for London yet :( I live in hope.......)

Amsterdam. Brussels. Saint Petersburg. Los Angeles. Brace yourself for an announcement...

Dates Announced:

In The Studio With Michael Jackson posted:
Details still being finalized, but we will be offering seminars in
-Amsterdam around April 19th,

-Brussels around April 22nd, and

-Saint Petersburg April 26th and 27th.

And yes, we have a very special week in store in
-LA starting on June 23rd.

Details and tickets will be available next week. Will You Be There?

Last edited:

It's really difficult for me to decide whether to think it's a huge cash-in on the backs of Michaels fans with all the protectionism or not. I mean how are they allowed to earn money by playing recordings they did with Michael singing and talking. Michael surely didn't give them them the rights to do that. On the other hand, I really really want to go and listen to that, ask my questions and stuff. I am really starving for anything ne from Michael, I think you know the feeling...

today's fb posting from brad:
(nothing for london yet :( i live in hope.......)

amsterdam. Brussels. Saint petersburg. Los angeles. Brace yourself for an announcement...

Dates announced:

In the studio with michael jackson posted:
Details still being finalized, but we will be offering seminars in
-amsterdam around april 19th,

-brussels around april 22nd, and

-saint petersburg april 26th and 27th.

And yes, we have a very special week in store in
-la starting on june 23rd.

Details and tickets will be available next week. Will you be there?

omg amsterdam!!!!

And a more detailed update from Brad:

Greetings ITSWMJ Friends and Studio Rats! First, please forgive me for the unintentional "quiet before the storm" these past few days. Yes, we are all "busy", but I still like to stay connected with you as time allows. These past few days have been very busy with travel, work, and many behind-the-scenes preparations for the next four months of seminars. It is not my intention to keep you in the dark, I just like to have the details in place before tickets go on sale. That said, here is the plan as of now:

April 19, 2014 - Full 6-hour ITSWMJ seminar in Amsterdam. (A great lead-in to http://jacksonevent.com/

April 22, 2014 - Full 6-hour ITSWMJ seminar in Brussels.

April 26 - 27, 2014 - Full 6-hour ITSWMJ seminars in Saint Petersburg, Russia.

June 23-25 - Special edition ITSWMJ seminars in Los Angeles.

I deeply appreciate everyone's questions, notes, suggestions for additional cities, etc., but my team and I are focused on making these next events as good as possible.

I expect to have tickets available within the next two days. Thank you again for your continued patience - keep checking back as you will not want to miss one of these events.

Now, a quick trivia question. During the Bad album, we had a favorite snack that become a bit of an obsession for a while:

A) Pop Corn
B) Guacamole
C) Cotton Candy
D) Snow Cones

Go ahead... take a guess, and hopefully I'll see you in the near future!

TICKET LINK: (Only Russia at present, Amsterdam, Brussels and LA to follow

https://ticketbud.com/events/search?utf8=✓&search='in+the+studio+with+mj'&button=

In The Studio With MJ - Russia

April 26th, 2014
11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Ligovsky Avenue, 53, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 190000

In The Studio With MJ - Russia

April 27th, 2014
11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Ligovsky Avenue, 53, Saint Petersburg, Russia, 190000

Last edited:

It's really difficult for me to decide whether to think it's a huge cash-in on the backs of Michaels fans with all the protectionism or not. I mean how are they allowed to earn money by playing recordings they did with Michael singing and talking. Michael surely didn't give them them the rights to do that. On the other hand, I really really want to go and listen to that, ask my questions and stuff. I am really starving for anything ne from Michael, I think you know the feeling...

Why do some fans look to see the negative in everything? I think it's awesome, it puts focus on Michael the artist and I couldn't care less if Brad makes or doesn't make money with it. He works for it. (A "HUGE cash-in" something like this certainly is NOT!)

^^ Legit question --- does he bypass the Estate or was he authorized to do that???

^^ Legit question --- does he bypass the Estate or was he authorized to do that???

Why don't you ask him if some of you are so bothered by his seminars? He's on FB.

Since he's doing it pretty openly and publicly I doubt he's not on safe legal grounds. I would be surprised if the Estate didn't know about it. But whether they do or not this is not something that I will go against and try to get the Estate to shut down when he does such a great job in introducing MJ as the awesome artist he was. Does he harm Michael's legacy with it? Will his seminars make people buy less MJ records and DVDs? No. On rather the contrary. It will help people discover his art even more. That's the only thing that matters to me as a fan. (And to think he's making some huge bucks with it is ridiculous. No one will get rich from something like this.)

Last edited:

To be honest, I was also apprehensive when I first heard about these seminars, not because of anything specific against Brad but because I've grown to not trust anyone that tries to associate themselves with Michael. I was very adamant about not blindly worshiping anyone just because they claimed to know or have met Michael at some point in their lives.

Despite my reservations, I took a chance and attended a seminar. I'm glad that I went and after actually experiencing the seminar, I can confidently say that this isn't another lousy money grab at the expense of Michael. Despite the hefty ticket prices, I'd be be happy if Brad was breaking even on these events (When you factor in the studio rental, travel costs for his team & equipment, family dinner, and all of the behind the scenes work that goes into these seminars, you can tell that this is not the cash cow that some might think).

Brad mentioned that one of the reasons why he was inspired to do these seminars was because he read a Rolling Stone article shortly after Michael's passing that was really unfair to Michael (about the weirdness of having an amusement park at his house, a zoo running through the studio, etc). If I'm recalling his words correctly, he said something along the lines of "you know what, screw you. You (referring to the writer of the RS "tribute") weren't there to see how those kids spirits were uplifted when they came to Neverland or what it was really like in the studio." He really wanted to share what it was really like to work with Michael based on his experiences both in the studio and at Neverland Ranch. I think he does a very fair job at portraying Michael as the amazingly gifted, kind, fun loving, and quirky guy that he knew. I have a great amount of respect for Brad for doing that.

Of course I wouldn't take every word Brad says at the seminars as the absolute gospel of how everything happened! He was a part of a very large team so he is only sharing these experiences from his perspective. Like all of our memories some of these recollections get fuzzy over the years and are vulnerable to things such as forgetting exact dates (which he readily admits!), perhaps recalling events out of chronological order and even his own opinions. That said, I still think he does a fantastic job and is being extremely generous by sharing his experiences and willingness to answer just about any crazy question that the fans ask. The seminar is definitely worth every penny, I felt so uplifted and energized for days after I attended. There are a lot of slimy people that are trying to make a quick buck off of Michael, but I truly believe that Brad isn't one of them.

Another great thing about the seminars that I'm not sure anyone has mentioned already is that it's really great to be surrounded by other fans. Meeting so many other fans at the same time in real life is such a different experience than online. I can't quite explain it but it can be quite surprisingly pleasant (I was quite nervous about going because I didn't know anyone) :)

Brad Sundberg:

Blame it on the French!

Guys, I enjoy checking in with you now and then - but I can tell you something? Let's have a quick business meeting together in the conference room.

I put my "In The Studio With MJ - Russia" seminar tickets on sale for Saint Petersburg just 72 hours ago. We have sold out all VIP tickets, and about 60% of our regular tickets. In just 72 hours. We have sold nearly twice as many tickets for Russia (in 3 days) than I sold for Orlando earlier this month - with 3 months of promotion! Amazing.

We finally chose the locations for Amsterdam and Brussels just today, and will open up tickets for sale this weekend. The June event in LA is going be very special - I can't go into detail just yet, but I have a feeling tickets will sell very quickly, as space will be so limited. Yes, it will be at Westlake, where my MJ journey began.

In the fall we are looking seriously at London, Paris, Stockholm and New York. Who knows where we will land after that.

All that said, this all started with my good friends Christophe Petitclerc, Ludovic Guyot, Philippe Zerafa, Davy Appert and Yannick Gest in France just two years ago. I am humbled and amazed at the response, and it is my pleasure to share stories, memories and music from my amazing years with Michael. I don't take those years or experiences for granted, nor do I feel "entitled" in any way. Nearly every day I have the privilege of meeting or hearing from people who love Michael's music, humanity, humor and style.

Why do I tell you this? Because I had put my MJ memories in a box (literally and figuratively) in my closet and in my mind. But Chris, Ludo, Phil, Davy and Yannick would have none of that. They took a chance on me, and they believed in me. I was able to open that box and sort through the music, the memories, the laughter and the pain. And so it began.

Now I am able to take a few people with me to a place and time where we made some incredible music and memories. I'm not a big-shot, I was just a guy with a handful of skills, a solid work ethic and a good attitude who was at the right place at the right time. And thanks to those original five French guys and a lot of new friends I have made since then, I am reminded that a Michael had a deep impact on a multitude of people, and my stories and memories seem to resonate with some of them.

Thank you Chris. Ludo, Phil, Davy and Yannick. Your friendship and encouragement is appreciated more than you will ever know. Many, many people have rolled up their sleeves since then to help with promotion, seminars, T-shirt sales, website building, on and on. I didn't do this alone - we did it and continue to do it as a team, and I am grateful.

Have a great weekend everyone, and I look forward to seeing many of you this year!

Meeting adjourned.

Brad

http://inthestudiowithmj.com/

Russian team of organizers of "In the studio with Michael Jackson" seminars invites fans from Finland, Estonia, Latvia and other European countries to join the seminars in the beautiful city of Saint Petersburg on April 26-27. If you always wanted to visit Russia, but had no occasion, here's your chance! The seminars will last six hours each, and there may be a dinner with Brad afterwards.

Tickets:
April 26: https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj--russia
April 27: https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/in-the-studio-with-mj--russia2

Questions about the organization of the seminars, as well as accommodation, visa arrangement etc. can be sent to Elena: bsund-spb@yandex.ru

2up2uc3.jpg

Last edited:

Wonderful Giving fans from most parts of the world a chance to participate.

I would love to see the Childhood recording footage, but not at this cost. It amazes me to think that it costs more to see Brad live than it ever cost to see Michael Jackson live.

^How much were This Is It tickets (OT but your comment just made me think about it)?

^How much were This Is It tickets (OT but your comment just made me think about it)?
I seem to remember paying something like 80 euros. I remember feeling it was quite cheap since it was MJ's big live performance comeback. Even more so because the morning tickets went on sale, it at first seemed there would only be 10 shows, so tickets seemed highly exclusive and sought after.

I am going to one of Brad's seminars later this year and very much look forward to it, based on all I've heard from people I know, as well as read on here. A 6 hour in depth seminar focused exclusively on MJ's music, featuring unheard audio and video material, a wealth of stories, and the opportunity to ask questions to someone who worked closely with him on some of his biggest albums? Can hardly imagine it being anything but an amazing experience.

I attended his seminar in Stockholm Sweden last fall and it was an amazing experience, worth every penny. It was undoubtedly one of the brightest highlights of my year! I would love to go to Amsterdam or St.Petersburg to attend again, but can't afford to. But there are plans for another seminar in Stockholm later this year and I will not miss that! Can't wait. :)

I think the cheapest tickets were the equivalent to 45 US Dollars from what many have told me. Compare that with Cirque or this seminar.

You cannot compare the effort and costs of those two events (TII and Brad's seminars) equally.

Regular TII tickets ranged from £60 to £90 if memory serves right.

Back