"Captain EO" Anaheim closing! [Update Pg 4 closing postponed indefinitely]

Did you only come in here to say how bad Captain Eo appears now.. ? it's a wonderful movie and the effects are so cool...!!!!
I'm not saying it's a bad show, it's just the effects, puppets, etc. are really dated.
I love the show so much and it holds a place in my heart along with Moonwalker and such from my my childhood. And I probably have seen it in person more times than most people on here have (because I live in Florida and used to visit Florida every summer as a kid). So obviously, I love it.

Admin note: Thread cleaned. Personal insults and attacks on our members is not allowed. You can respectfully discuss the topic without all that. No one has disrespected Michael in this thread. Had they done so it would have been deleted. Please be respectful in how you reply to one another. Let's move on please.
Thank you for your cooperation and as always if you have any questions or concerns PM Admin and do not derail the thread by replying or discussing moderation actions on your posts or moderation requests on the board.

I visited Epcot Center in Florida this past summer, and everyone really loved Captain EO. People were cheering and stuff. It still has a very nice sized crowd that comes to watch it. Only thing is they didn't have any Captain EO souvenirs. I was really disappointed about that, so I took the 3D glasses. I saw it like 3 times while I was there so I have a few sets of glasses.... I hate that it's closing at other Disney locations.

:bow:

Tokyo Disneyland to replace Captain EO with Stitch

When Disney returned Captain EO to its theme parks following the death of star Michael Jackson, the revival was supposed to be a limited run. However, up until now, we've heard no official word of a Captain EO run closing.

As you might have guessed, now we have. The Oriental Land Company, owner of Tokyo Disney Resort, has announced that Captain EO will close on June 30, 2014 at Tokyo Disneyland, to make way for a Stitch Encounter attraction.

Using the concept as Turtle Talk with Crush, Stitch Encounter at Hong Kong Disneyland allows audience members to talk with the former "Experiment 626," who will appear on a theater screen as he's in "outer space." This show is substantially different than Walt Disney World's much-maligned "Stitch's Great Escape" show. Tokyo Disneyland will bring the Stitch Encounter show to the Tomorrowland theater where Captain EO now plays, for a summer 2015 opening.

This won't be Stitch's first appearance in Tokyo Disneyland. The star of Lilo & Stitch already appears in Tokyo Disneyland's version of the Tiki Room: Stitch Presents 'Aloha E Komo Mai!'

themeparkinsider.com

I thought Tokyo had announced they were keeping it indefinitely...sad.

:eek:hno: Devastating news. My friends and I are hoping to see it in Tokyo on a Michaeling trip in March 2014 - looks like we will just make it!

Last edited:
I thought Tokyo had announced they were keeping it indefinitely...sad.

Nothing can be guaranteed indefinitely and quite frankly I'm surprised that Captain Eo managed another 4 year run considering how old it is.

But to announce 'indefinitely' to me suggests a commitment of longer than a year or 2. There's no point going to the bother of announcing you're keeping it 'indefinitely' in that case.

mysterygirl7;3941419 said:
What is wrong with people?

*Walks out....*

You have a problem with what I said? Take your MJ fanatic head off and enter the real world.
Captain Eo is a (nearly) 30 year old video in an amusement park that makes money from following the latest trends and investing in state of the art attractions!
The ONLY reason they brought it back was to capitalise on MJ's death.
I have no problem with that, but to think this amusement was going to be around for the long haul was frankly naïve.

bobmoo79;3941586 said:
You have a problem with what I said? Take your MJ fanatic head off and enter the real world.
Captain Eo is a (nearly) 30 year old video in an amusement park that makes money from following the latest trends and investing in state of the art attractions!
I have no problem with that, but to think this amusement was going to be around for the long haul was frankly naïve.

I think it's pretty cool they've let it run for this long. Of course, being an MJ fan, I'd like them to run it longer, but I'm not realistically expecting them to do so. It's Disneyland, not Michael Jackson land. If anything, I'm surprised it's run for as long as it has... at least 15 years overall in the Anaheim Disneyland, which I think is actually quite good considering it doesn't have any famous Disney characters in it. It's also not a ride like Star Tours that they can simply update and improve on (and I would also like to add that franchises such as Star Wars continues to be exceptionally popular with children to this day).

I just think we should be appreciative that they actually reintroduced the ride and have let it run for so long overall with so few improvements to it. This is also coming from someone who hasn't had the privilege to actually see Captain EO at Disneyland.

bobmoo79;3941586 said:

What you said sounded so negative towards Captain Eo, but I'm not surprised anymore.. go ahead, bash Captain Eo all you want, I could just never do that.. and you called me an MJ fanatic, I take that as a compliment.. If I had the chance to sit with Michael and watch Captain Eo, I don't think I would say what you just wrote to Michael.. "Michael, frankly I'm surprised that Captain Eo managed another 4 year run considering how old it is."
But I guess this is just the beginning, over the next years there are probably gonna be many more threads on here, where people will discuss how old and dated things look.. I just don't come in here to read that..

It's like the other day, there was an interview with an old and fragile actor, - I saw it on you tube.. he was really old and fragile, right.. but he paid a nice tribute to another actor, who was doing a tv-show.. guess what someone wrote in the comment section.. "he really looks old and fragile!!" Wow, amazing.. so great of you to point that out!! How about focusing on what he said, instead of pointing out the obvious.

Again, I have to say something about Captain Eo, and why I get really sad when someone says it's old or whatever.. The message that Captain Eo has is really really important! Look at the state of our world.. we need to change this world, and that's what I think Michael came for.. therefore I find it very insulting, that enybody would call it old, honestly it's too much.. enjoy it instead.. and listen to its message of fighting evil.

Greetings from the MJ-fanatic

r3mJf.gif

If I had the chance to sit with Michael and watch Captain Eo, I don't think I would say what you just wrote to Michael.. "Michael, frankly I'm surprised that Captain Eo managed another 4 year run considering how old it is."

"Wow Michael, you know considering how old Captain EO is compared to the rest of the park, I'm surprised that it's lasted this long!! Think about it - we're in a theme park where things are constantly updated... replaced even, just so everything is modern! It's actually really awesome how they've kept it for so long! Hell, I think it truly is a testament to how amazing and loved it is by audiences all over!"

That's what I'd say. I'd say it in a way that actually compliments the fact that despite it's oldness, it's still popular and loved with audiences. I'm not an expert on Disneyland, so someone feel free to correct me, but I don't think there are many rides that have been barely updated since the 1980s. If anything we should be looking at it as an accomplishment! Probably the only older attraction in the park that hasn't been been updated is the fact that you can watch Steamboat Willy, but that's understandable considering Mickey Mouse is the icon of Disney.

Just because someone says that it's old/outdated doesn't mean they think it's bad, or that they're necessarily 'bashing' it - it just means they're being honest about it. Yes, many people will use the term 'outdated' as an insult but I haven't felt that the term has been used here to deliberately insult people. I was listening to a favourite early Beatles song today, and the fact that it sounds outdated crossed my mind once or twice whilst it was playing. Does that mean I think it's worser in any way? Nooooo way, that song is a classic! I think the same concept applies here. You can appreciate something but still be honest about it. We all love and appreciate Captain EO for it's entertainment and message, but we're just being honest about it. The higher-ups at Disneyland aren't going to focus on it's 'fight against evil' message, they're going to focus on what is state-of-the-art, modern and can increase their profits.

You cannot deny that the film has a dated feeling to it (which, I'd like to point out again, doesn't make it any worse of a film), and the fact it resides in a world famous state-of-the-art theme park where rides are constantly updated, modernised or even replaced so they don't feel dated means it's a prime target to be replaced with a more modern attraction that will make their more money. It's unfortunate, but that's just what happens.

Last edited:
StarWars movies are dated too then, still love watching them and it´s fun. And think about instead what they accomplished since it was 1979 and mid 80th something. I don´t use the word dated anyway, I think it´s fun watching the old stuff.

Virre;3942042 said:
StarWars movies are dated too then, still love watching them and it´s fun. And think about instead what they accomplished since it was 1979 and mid 80th something. I don´t use the word dated anyway, I think it´s fun watching the old stuff.

Maybe the original theatrical versions of the original trilogy, but that trilogy is known for having most of it's visual effects redone with modern CGI in the 'Special Editions', hence no longer making it look as dated anymore. It is actually quite difficult to find the original, outdated theatrical versions in high quality (which is why Star Wars fans have been campaigning for years for their release). I suppose they can still just feel a tiny bit dated at times though... in a way I'm not entirely sure how to describe... I'll give you that. It's not to the extent of Captain EO though (which I rewatched an hour or so ago to refresh my memory). Regardless of that, from 1999-2005 we have had the prequel trilogy, which certainly doesn't look nor feel dated (especially Episodes II and III).

You also have to remember that multiple spin-offs (future movies starting in 2015, TV shows, video games etc) are being introduced all the time which aid in keeping Star Wars modern and not feeling as dated (and Disneyland can potentially use newly introduced characters and situations in these spin-offs to help in improving and modernising Star Tours. Seeing they now own Star Wars and will want to promote the upcoming films, it's likely this will happen in one way or another). So while the original trilogy can sometimes just... idk, feel dated a little bit, the visual enhancements have certainly helped modernise them, which, along with addition of the prequel trilogy, has helped keep the Star Wars saga up-to-date and modern. It's because of that I can't really agree with you... at least not 100% anyway :)

It certainly can be fun watching old stuff - I don't really have any problem with it either! Hell many of my favourite things look/sound dated in some way or another, I was just pointing out that Disneyland is known for often updating their rides to keep them state of the art and modern, hence Captain EO (which is no longer that modern) would be a prime target for replacement after some time.

Last edited:
Anybody have any news about if Captain EO will be in Epcot in 2014? Rumors are going around that it will be closing, but Disney hasn't said anything yet...

I went to Disney World two years ago with my high school marching band. I had to beeeegggg my group to go see it. It was the ONE thing I wanted to see when I was at Disney World.

I was so happy to see it. I tried to take a pair of 3D glasses but they took them from my bag when we hopped parks. I looked all over Epcot for a Captian Eo Disney pin. I didn't find one in that park but i found one later in the Magic Kingdom. (I'll get a picture of it later.)

I did notice that that end of the park is pretty dead. There was maybe another 30 people plus my group in the theater. I loved the 4D element, though it did freak me out at times. I wasn't expecting it. XD

It'll be sad to see it go, but nothing lasts forever. Just glad I got the chance to see it while I did.

Disney Infinity Executive Producer Wants Michael Jackson's Captain EO in the Game
January 08, 2014

Disney Infinity executive producer John Vignocchi shared an intriguing tweet earlier this evening that reveals a character he desperately wants to see in the popular "toys to life" Disney Interactive video game in the future. That figure is none other than Captain EO as portrayed by Michael Jackson, and Vignocchi has some strong words regarding his love for the character.
I took my first family trip to Disney World in Orlando, Florida as an adult this past fall and of course took my kids to see Captain EO at Epcot. Their dad was far more into the trip down nostalgia lane than the were. In fact, they were more interested in trying something else out rather than a return trip into director Francis Ford Coppola's trippy outer space realm. I openly admit that while watching Captain EO, the thought of a Disney Infinity figure based on the Michael Jackson hero character crossed my mind.

Like Michael Jackson, Captain EO is best remembered as a product of the 1980s, and the children of that time -- myself included -- are the ones buying Disney Infinity figures for their children. Today's kids may be all into Anna, Elsa, Lightning McQueen, Sully and the other more recent Disney characters, but I've seen more than one adult enthusiastically grab a Jack Skellington for their kids because those are the characters they relate to from their childhood and want to share them with their kids.

Here's Vignocchi's tweet as he wrote it:
John Vignocchi @JohnVignocchi
Before I die, we will incorporate Captain E/O into @DisneyInfinity!
3:15 AM - 8 Jan 2014

I'd love to see Vignocchi follow through on this social media proclamation, and also take note of this awesome fan-art for a Disney Infinity Indiana Jones figure and make that become a plastic reality as well.

Our best bet for a wild foray outside the current Disney Infinity character set that adheres closely to Pixar and modern Disney animation is the upcoming LucasFilm Star Wars Rebels television series that premieres on Disney XD this fall. It offers the perfect opportunity to introduce Star Wars to Disney Infinity and cross-promote the show with the sequel game that is expected to be announced at either Toy Fair in February or shortly thereafter.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Disne...Michael-Jacksons-Captain-EO-in-the-Game/13693

If they are planning on shelving this for good in all the parks, and it seems they are (unless I'm mistaken), SURELY there must be a plan to make it available to the fans once and for all!

It'd be awesome having a Captain Eo action figure or Ken type doll, if his likeness is respected, Michael would look gorgeous if that project comes to be, I hope! *crosseimg fingers*

I was already on the fence about getting the Disney Infinity game (PS3) for my 5-year-old daughter and myself..... But now I think I'll go out tomorrow and just get it haha!

Well, I went to the Anaheim park last week for my bday, Eo is definitely still open. The theater wasn't full but it wasn't a ghost town either, light/moderate-sized crowd. I'm am however, feeling some kind of way about Disney no longer selling Captain Eo merch lol, why shelf the merch while the attraction is still open? They could've still been bringing in $ with souvenir sales, I don't get that (and I'm personally perturbed about it cuz there was one more t-shirt that I'd been lusting over and wanted to buy lol)...

Capt.. EO - DL Paris is closing <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Last weekend to enjoy Captain EO in Discoveryland <a href="http://t.co/4hxNz0lv0R">pic.twitter.com/4hxNz0lv0R</a></p>&mdash; InsideDLParis (@InsideDLParis) <a href="https://twitter.com/InsideDLParis/statuses/429598645424758784">February 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Cast members ? its a short film. How could the cast members from that film be there, Do you mean the theater staff ?

i sure hope this means the short film may be released on a future short film blu ray box set, some defining in Michael's career

Not just the parks. Any Disney employee is called a cast member :)

Back