Cirque du Soleil 'Michael Jackson ONE' permanent Las Vegas show

Re: BIG News from MJ Estate and Cirque du Soleil [ Update Pg 5 Post #69]

I have no words to describe what I'm feeling. After all this years, Michael Jackson is loved.

The logo is PERFECT

Tks for sharing the news!

this is vid i found on regards to the hologram

here they talk about on the possibility of using a mj hologram...what i don't know if they are talking about
immortal show or one?

what do you guys think?

WOW !!

Imagine if they are able to make a great MJ holgram!!

That would be so amazing. - The closest to get MJ back! :)

I love how MJ is still loved by som many. - More and more it seems actually!!

He reaches new audioences around the world. - And he sure gives them stuff they've never seen before, felt before or heard before!!

MJ's Legacy is forever secured, nothing in the world can chance that. A Genius artist like MJ lives forever in his art!

Oh wow!! I can't wait for this. I was there in Stockholm last year I will be there again if it comes to Sweden.

this is vid i found on regards to the hologram

here they talk about on the possibility of using a mj hologram...what i don't know if they are talking about
immortal show or one?

what do you guys think?

:wild:
kermit.gif

How old is that video tho ? I haven't heard any hologram talk as of late..

Apart from the stupid comment that Tabloid Junkie is unreleased, this article seems to have a few interesting tidbits.

One' depicts pop star's media ties

Cirque du Soleil's new "Michael Jackson One" show plans to tap into the pop star's years of being hounded by tabloid journalists.

Robotlike characters dressed in black trenchcoats will be known as "Tabloid Junkies," from Jackson's 1995 unreleased song of the same name. They made their debut with other dancers during Thursday's unveiling of the show's title and logo at a news conference at Mandalay Bay.

Previews of the show start May 23. The grand opening is set for June 29 in the 1,800-seat theater.

Welby Altidor, Cirque's director of creation, said, "We wanted to do a tongue-in-cheek" reference to add a darker force that "talks about his relationship with the media."

The recurring lyrics of the song go: "Just because you read it in the magazine or see it on the TV screen don't make it factual."

Another group of singers, described by Altidor as "our Greek chorus," will represent all the different energies and influences of Jackson, "and we will recognize that through their costumes."

The 63 artists representing 17 nationalities will include acrobats from all over the world and three dance crews: the Art Farmers from Korea, a girl group known as ReQuest from New Zealand and 787 Crew from Puerto Rico.

Dancers called the MJ Warriors will "create the first line of defense for Michael," Altidor said.

Another act he is convinced will be a crowd pleaser will be the slack-line artists.

"It's a completely new discipline that's been emerging on the urban front. Imagine an elastic line attached to poles. The artists bounce and do acrobatics on it, really cool tricks. It's really popular with youngsters around the word."

He said the song "Dirty Diana," which wasn't in the touring Jackson show "The Immortal," will feature a Las Vegas pole dancer named Jeanine.

"The twist," Altidor said, "will be a twisted pole like no one's ever seen. It's like those straws that are twisted."

http://www.lvrj.com/news/-one-depicts-pop-star-s-media-ties-192460401.html

Last edited:

I like the idea of including the anti-media theme into the show. Critics usually dismiss this subject in Michael's music, but it was a very important and prominent theme for him, raised in all of his albums starting with Bad. It deserves the attention as part of his legacy.

I like the idea of including the anti-media theme into the show. Critics usually dismiss this subject in Michael's music, but it was a very important and prominent theme for him, raised in all of his albums starting with Bad. It deserves the attention as part of his legacy.

I agree. This thing is getting more and more exciting. ^^There seem to be more acrobatic news in that report which should make some fans very happy.

Loving the sound of this more and more.

Been catching up on this thread, i have been away for a few days, it just keeos sounding better and better. Holograms? That wuld be amazing, closest you could get to actually having him there on stage, though i think i would cry like a baby

And i love the anti media theme idea, its crazy how many people still take the tabloids ect as credible sources of information.

[h=2]Cirque du Soleil’s new ‘Michael Jackson One’ at Mandalay Bay: Q+A with director Jamie King[/h]

It’s about three months until the first preview of “Michael Jackson One” at Mandalay Bay, and Cirque du Soleil has already sold $500,000 in tickets the first few hours of the spectacle going on sale over the weekend exclusively to insider Michael Jackson and MGM Resorts club members. General tickets go on sale March 7.

“It’s going to be a blockbuster. That’s a staggering first-day sale,” I was told. In fact, it will be another 37 days -- June 29 -- until the monstrous production has its world premiere in the converted Mandalay Bay theater formerly home to Disney’s “The Lion King.”

Meantime, the touring “Immortal” show that also debuted at Mandalay Bay continues its global journey breaking records and winning awards, with box office sellouts in Europe as it heads to South America and Asia and plans for repeat cities in the U.S., keeping it on the road until at least the end of 2014.

The Jackson juggernaut continues -- and now the second show. The “One” cast moved into their new Mandalay Bay theater last Monday and showcased a hint of the ambitious project when the name “One” was revealed last week.

Director Jamie King says that it’s one of the longest pre-production schedules in Cirque’s history, if not the longest. The casting and Montreal training -- particularly of acrobatics never seen before in any production -- began in October.

MICHAEL JACKSON ONE PREVIEW
[video=youtube_share;6tBpx2AI2Wk]http://youtu.be/6tBpx2AI2Wk[/video]
http://youtu.be/6tBpx2AI2Wk

“We are literally just in technical rehearsals now. I just spent the last four months living in Montreal in production rehearsals. Now we are in tech rehearsals here for the next few weeks, and then we go into all production rehearsals here. It’s a long run before the premiere,” Jamie told me. “Starting in March, I am here every day. It needs to be a long set of work. It’s ambitious, but for a great show, you need to have that much work put into it.”

Additionally, I’ve learned that Cirque founder Guy Laliberte will be here in March and April adding his masterful input. Officially, we’re told: “ ‘One’ will be a state-of-the-art visual and audio experience creating a theatrical evocation of Michael’s creative genius. Guided and inspired by his music, four misfits set out on a transformative adventure. By journey’s end, they will personify Michael’s agility, courage, playfulness and love.

“Michael believed that all people are unique and equal regardless of race or culture. His message was one of unity, harmony and hope for a better world. At once evocative and enigmatic, the name ‘Michael Jackson One’ also presents a paradox: Michael was a multifaceted artist who strove to fuse together various musical styles and art forms. It is a fitting title for a unifying journey into the world of The King of Pop, the genius, the visionary, the One.”

Here is my conversation with Jamie:

[video=youtube_share;vHqS-4OIA8s]http://youtu.be/vHqS-4OIA8s[/video]
http://youtu.be/vHqS-4OIA8s

Robin Leach: When you say interactive, do you mean the experience is around you, in front of you and above you?

Jamie King: Yes. I am not going to say it is unlike any theater we have seen before, but certainly what we are doing, our intention is to immerse the audience in the energy of our show, which is Michael’s energy and spirit. We want to make sure that they see and feel our costumes, see and feel the energy of our performers and acrobats just as you saw here today.

R.L.: So the cast will leave the stage?

J.K.: Absolutely. They will leave the stage and integrate into the audience above you and around you, on the sides of you.

R.L.: You also were the director of “Michael Jackson Immortal,” so how tough was it to do a show different from a show you have already done? It has got to be the toughest.

J.K.: I think at first the idea of it made me a bit nervous; I felt the challenge of it. I was so excited about another opportunity and knowing that it would be different because I know how to do a rock show. That was really what ‘Immortal’ was meant to be -- a rock/Cirque interpretation, arenas I get that -- but a theater show, to be able to do that, is really a dream for me. It already is a different show because it is in a theater, and once I got my head around that, a smaller, more intimate venue, it can be much more immersive.

The bigger challenge was the music. If I have to use the same songs because you know it is Michael’s hits, we want to make sure the fans in the audience feel Michael’s hits. I had those in ‘Immortal,’ so it was about making them different. How do I show them in a different way?

R.L.: Which is my next question. “One” presumably is based on the No. 1 hits that he had. Did he have enough hits to fill the show?

J.K.: It is Michael Jackson, of course, come on! I didn’t start by counting Michael’s No. 1’s. I took his No. 1’s and then I inserted them in the show, but then I needed the story because we are doing a theatrical show this time around. There is much more story, it is much more story driven and fairytale-like, so because of that, I needed certain songs that weren’t No. 1’s at times for segues and interstitial moments to tell the story.

R.L.: Where does the storyline start? How old is he, and where does it finish?

J.K.: It is in no way a chronological biopic story of Michael Jackson. It is a complete new fairytale in a Cirque way. We have created a new story, something that people may or may not get all the way, but we certainly do. And we think it is a great fairytale and journey to go on using Michael’s music.

R.L.: The theater was built to your specs because of what you are doing on an interactive basis? Unlike anything we’ve seen before?

J.K.: Yes, for sure. It is immersive, and you will see with the visuals alone. They really wrap around in a way that is unlike any theater that I have ever seen. Call it the visuals wraparound theater.

R.L.: Did you get to spend all the money you wanted, or did you go over budget?

J.K.: Do we ever get to spend all the money we want? Come on now! (Laughs) Do I ever go over budget? I feel like these are all questions that you could answer. You know my history. I tend to go over budget; ask Madonna!

R.L.: Is this the best show to date that you have done?

J.K.: It is the most inspiring to me at the moment. It is something that is not completely finished yet, so I can’t say, to date, because it is not done.

However, as you’ll read in our interviews this week, Cirque du Soleil’s new ‘Michael Jackson One’ at Mandalay Bay: Q+A with director Jamie King Michael Jackson’s estate lawyer and executor, certainly believe that “One” is already the best show to date.

Source: Robin Leach http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/feb/25/michael-jackson-one-mandalay-bay-director-jamie-ki/

Great ^^ how about the question if there were enough #1's to fill the show? Really Robin.

Okay i'm confuse a little, so ok the show start in May BUT the "Grand Opening" is on June 29. But I go to ticketmaster and there's no show on that date.

sugarcookies;3782646 said:
Okay i'm confuse a little, so ok the show start in May BUT the "Grand Opening" is on June 29. But I go to ticketmaster and there's no show on that date.

I guess june 29 is for invitation only - celebrities, media etc.

Re: "Michael Jackson ONE" ..new Cirque du Soleil name for permanent MJ show

The very fact that most of the artists out now seem to autotune their songs to death, and are getting more and more repetetive should make it clear to everyone that they dont come close to being the 'next Michael Jackson' or 'next King of Pop'.
But theyre always gonna make comments like that i guess

Exactly!!!

And its the music fans who give these artists their titles. Liz Taylor came up with King of Pop, Rock & Soul. But the fans were the ones to call him the King Of Pop. And the media picked it up from the fans......the millions and millions of fans around the globe!!!!

bluesky;3782745 said:
I guess june 29 is for invitation only - celebrities, media etc.

The tickets for June have not started yet. They are doing the May dates now.

Re: "Michael Jackson ONE" Cirque du Soleil name for permanent MJ show [merged]

Umm they have started the June AND July dates in ticketmaster website.

http://youtu.be/ZSkZxOS8ZDY

Why is this performance different than the other ONE announcement performance?

At the beginning you hear someone yell "We're holding! Cue music!" And there's no curtain drop...

Did they have to do this performance twice in a row or something??

Umm they have started the June AND July dates in ticketmaster website.

Oh they did? Thanks. When I preordered the May show they did not start yet, so I will check that out. I wonder why they did not send me an alert.

It looks like June 29-30 will not be available for fans. We bought tickets for June 28th and planning to stay over the weekend to catch the grand opening. To those who are going in May - no spoilers please :)

It looks like June 29-30 will not be available for fans. We bought tickets for June 28th and planning to stay over the weekend to catch the grand opening. To those who are going in May - no spoilers please :)

Okay we will not spoil it for you. I don't mind about June 29-30 because I will be visiting London during that time anyway. My aunt will be 90 years old!!!

I was thinking of going to see the show on his birthday in August, but I see they are not playing on that day.

Last edited:

so do you guys think we will have another remix album called 'Michael Jackson - One' ??

It seems people have booked up the Bellagio for the May dates. Has anyone stayed in the Wynn before? I heard it is noisy for sleeping.

http://youtu.be/ZSkZxOS8ZDY

Guys, really, why is this announcement performance different?

It looks like something messed up technically and they had to do it again...

Or they filmed it for something...

It seems people have booked up the Bellagio for the May dates. Has anyone stayed in the Wynn before? I heard it is noisy for sleeping.

Didn't actually stay there, but I explored it and it was soooo nice. Just real high class.

Jamie King, director of both Michael Jackson ONE and Michael Jackson The IMMORTAL World Tour explains how the show presented at Mandalay Bay, in Las Vegas, from May 23, will differ from THE IMMORTAL World Tour, as both were inspired by the same legend: Michael Jackson.

A different type of show
“THE IMMORTAL World Tour is a rock concert-style Cirque du Soleil show. Michael Jackson ONE will definitely be more theatrical than THE IMMORTAL ever was or intended to be”, explains Jamie. “In this show, everything is based on the story and the characters, starting with the choice of the acts.

A resident show
Michael Jackson ONE will be a resident show, presented at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, as opposed to THE IMMORTAL, which tours major arenas around the world. A resident show means a permanent installation. As such, many artistic choices were virtually made for us—for example, sound integrated into the seats to bring Michael’s music directly to the spectators’ ears or the immersive set design made up of an imposing proscenium.

Full-length hits
For Jamie, Guy Laliberté and Michael Jackson’s Estate, it was clear that the show should spotlight many of the great hits that made Michael Jackson into the legend he is today. “We’ve been working with Kevin Antunes—who also designed the music for THE IMMORTAL —to embellish the sound on the songs, but with arrangements that are more like the album versions, which are very close to fans’ hearts.” In Michael Jackson ONE, all of the key songs chosen will be played nearly in their entirety.
Tickets for Michael Jackson ONE are available online. Previews begin May 23 at Mandalay Bay, in Las Vegas with its official premiere on June 29.

http://cirquedusoleil.tumblr.com/post/44308660893/jamie-king-director-of-both-michael-jackson-one

Didn't actually stay there, but I explored it and it was soooo nice. Just real high class.

Thanks, I did explore it too, but I heard you can't sleep in the night because the noise from the discos come up in the vents, that is why I was asking if anyone stayed there.

Back