Confirmed HIStory Tour release for 2021?

mj_frenzy;4283818 said:
The quotes that I posted earlier (about the HIStory concerts) were published at the time also on tabloid press.

Like, the “Music in a Crowd, Jackson in Great Form” quote, which was published on the Polish tabloid newspaper Super Express right after his HIStory concert in Warsaw.

So, you cannot accuse of me being positively selective concerning the sources of these quotes about the HIStory Tour.

That's not what I did. What I say is that you can not know what "most" of 125.000 people in Prague knew, only by digging out a handful of media pre-selected quotes that don't even address the specific detail of lip-syncing.

Your bold claim that "most" people at that concert (while standing there) knew but didn't care that he was lip-syncing, can't be proven by anything. It's your free speculation only based on todays hindsight common knowledge and a few pre-selected quotes from mainstream media, which don't disprove your speculation, but also don't confirm it. Not to mention that you ignore infos and 1st hand experience shared in this thread by several fans.

mj_frenzy;4283818 said:
And that Hawaii video snippet also proves my point: although his fans were aware of his lip-sync, yet they did not really care about it.

There you go again. How come you are so utterly bad in correctly classifying / evaluating information without jumping straight to the next best conclusion?

Based on the 2 quotes (in answer to a suggestive question!) in that short video... how do you want to know what exactly thousands of people thought on scene at that Hawaii concert?

It would be fully ok if you would say that this adds to an impression you have, but, as always, you make it out to be a fact. It isn't.

mj_frenzy;4283818 said:
Also, if there was a full Czech tabloid media campaign against Michael Jackson before his HIStory concert there, this does not really mean anything because that campaign was bent on saying only their pre-planned, negative things (about him and his concert) regardless of how well he would perform there.

Yes, Sherlock. My point was that the tabloid trash is a part of the pool of back then published pre-selected quotes.

Last edited:
No, unfortunately. He had it since the late 80s I believe. When I first watched the 30th anniversary shows, I always wondered why his cheeks were red, especially during "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and "You Rock My World," always covering his mouth.

Most the time he used play-back he covered his mouth all the time - trying to hide it I guess...

No, unfortunately. He had it since the late 80s I believe. When I first watched the 30th anniversary shows, I always wondered why his cheeks were red, especially during "Billie Jean," "Beat It" and "You Rock My World," always covering his mouth.

Awww. poor mikey.

I was at the Prague show. I was 15 back then. I noticed the playback and I cared. It wasn't easy being a mj fan and I actually realised: oh shit, here we go again. Let the negative reviews poor in and for once in my life I would actually agree with the mainstream media.

Michael was the example. He had the talent and the personality to be the greatest. He influenced millions with his gift and let be honest; sure the HIStory your is entertaining, but it's nowhere near the quality you expect when you see the master at work. It's not just the playback, although this is by far the biggest issue, it's also the instrumentation, backing vocals, etc..

Anyhow, quite a bit of fans I traveled with didn't notice the playback and had a great night. Most of the mainstream fans had a great night. For me personally, it was ok but disappointing. And I believe the media over here focussed more on the big thing it was, than the quality of the show. I have some clippings in boxes I can look up to see if my memory serves me well. It at least give an idea about how the Dutch press reviewed the show.

The amount of miming Michael did really is unfortunate. If you're going to do so much miming at least try and make it realistic. Should have recorded live versions to use during the shows.

Frankly I find that worse.

Frankly I find that worse.

Agreed that would be even more disrespectful

If you wanna be the greatest and the best you shouldn't be able to get away with it. If Britney Spears or Madonna do, fine they can't sing anyway.

I always wonder if those who criticise the tour were even there or only have an opinion based on a YouTube video

Eh, this is a pretty silly argument. We're talking about it being released here and how it would make MJ look. I'm sure it was enjoyable if you were there.

SmoothGangsta;4283982 said:
Eh, this is a pretty silly argument. We're talking about it being released here and how it would make MJ look. I'm sure it was enjoyable if you were there.

It’s a valid point. People can criticise the tour videos but it’s not a YouTube video it was a concert experience. It doesn’t capture it. It’s not a criticism of the actual tour to me.

dam2040;4283989 said:
It’s a valid point. People can criticise the tour videos but it’s not a YouTube video it was a concert experience. It doesn’t capture it. It’s not a criticism of the actual tour to me.

Exactly. I still love to watch in on video though :D

When you watch the tour on Youtube without all the excitement of actually being there then you get to see the tour for what it really was. I do like the HIStory Tour and I watch it quite a bit, but I'd be lying to myself if I said it was up to the standards of MJ's previous tours.

When you watch the tour on Youtube without all the excitement of actually being there then you get to see the tour for what it really was. I do like the HIStory Tour and I watch it quite a bit, but I'd be lying to myself if I said it was up to the standards of MJ's previous tours.

No, you don't. What the tour really was is what was in front of you amongst 90,000 people. The day out, the queuing, the squishing, the singing, crying, dancing, clapping.. none of that is in a YouTube video. If it was people wouldn't be so upset they weren't there also.

It's a different ball game watching on a computer. The show was a day out, an experience. It wasn't a movie made for audiences to watch on DVD - hence Michael scrapping nearly every concert DVD they planned.

Look at all these devastated people crying at the fact he comes out with a pre-recorded vocal:

A concert experience is different from a release, obviously. I don't think anyone has argued that and I don't understand why it's being brought up. The thread is about a potential release and it would indeed make MJ look bad. He was more tired and sang less live than any tour before.

People was probably just glad to see Michael. sometimes people be so happy to see something they tend to forget what's going on etc. i'm not a fan of the history tour at all. but if seeing Michael made people happy then, good for them I guess.

I feel if they are planning to release any history tour. it need to be when he at his best. while the tour was bad. at least release a tour that was decent and not the one that been showed 100 times on tv and youtube.

if they can't do any of that. they need to cancel this project and just rerelease the album with some unreleases songs and demos etc.

A concert experience is different from a release, obviously. I don't think anyone has argued that and I don't understand why it's being brought up. The thread is about a potential release and it would indeed make MJ look bad. He was more tired and sang less live than any tour before.

It wouldn't 'indeed' do anything.

The number one video on YouTube, for 'Michael Jackson live', lo and behold, is Smooth Criminal in Munich. Oh no! The comments must be really bad, disastrous, as some of you would make out, yet:

I see no 'oh no he's lip syncing' I see a younger generation praising and recognising Michael Jackson's greatness.

Again and again, I'll say the same, we are microscope level on this. The people watching this don't care if in March 1988 he sang an extra line live. Michael Jackson, at any capacity, is years ahead of anyone else as a live entertainer and it is insulting to Michael, his work ethic and his craft to say that releasing Munich (or Prague) would damage Michael's legacy.

Yes, some negative areas of the press might have criticised the tour, the UK press had a very good go at the time but Michael could never win in the press' eyes. What matters is what you see in the comments. People find the show and people enjoy it. People of all ages, races and backgrounds. And that is what Michael is all about, not crying over using pre-recorded vocals.

Do I agree with it? No. Should he have re-recorded some songs? Yes. Is it the be-all end-all? Absolutely not.

EDIT - on a different video, the 2nd for 'Michael Jackson live' you see the entire Munich concert. ''His voice was really not at its best, which is totally understandable since he performed a lot of concerts in a very tight schedule. Still, he looks stunning. All dance moves and his energy itself are as good as always. Dude was legit. Miss him''

It's not the be all end all to a concert and if it is I question why you're a Michael Jackson fan. There's so much more to Michael than singing and that's what makes him so special.

There's so much more to Michael than singing and that's what makes him so special. [/FONT][/COLOR]

So true! I totally agree with you.
The HIStory Tour isn't my favourite tour either. However, I respect it for what it is: an amazing show.
I find it totally understandable if a guy who is 38 (and who has been performing since the age of 5) decides to lip-synch if he dances like that every night for more than a year. By the time of the HIStory Tour he had proven to everybody that he was one of the greatest vocalists ever!

It's true that there's more that Michael than singing, but there's also more to him than dancing too. If there was an MJ concert where all he did was sing and did very little dancing I'd be as equally disappointed as I am when he does all dancing with very little singing.

I don't expect a concert to be 100% live because that would be impossible, and unfair on Michael. But the amount of lip syncing on the HIStory Tour was just too much.

Well I guess everybody has different expectations. I wold have loved nothing more than a small stage, live band and a stool for MJ to sit on and sing. If he wants to stand up and do some moves ever now and then feel free but it doesn't need to be the focus. Think about "destiny" performance on top of the pops 1979. Some more interaction with the crowd (like he did during the J5 era) would be a plus too. My favorite crowd interaction is at the end of the live in Mexico 1975 show where he picks audience members to join dancing on stage and he actually dances with some of them.
Another great moment was in 1970 live at the forum when he asks the teen crowd to shout the letters of ABC but they are too enthusiastic and it makes him chuckle.
Spontaneous stuff like that would have been awesome his later career.

But I understand he got more shy and anxious later and if you don't feel like doing it then don't do it. It's very simple.

What’s up these touchy fans getting offended of the criticism of the History Tour? Just because you like it and don’t mind the lip syncing, it doesn’t mean that rest of us have to as well.

I'm sure there would be many negative reviews if they released it on Blu-Ray and DVD. It wouldn't be a good thing right now. I think the next concert release should show Michael at his best.

Nite Line;4284058 said:
What’s up these touchy fans getting offended of the criticism of the History Tour? Just because you like it and don’t mind the lip syncing, it doesn’t mean that rest of us have to as well.

Exactly. though i'm not downing anyone who do. in my honest opinion i don't like the tour. i just feel he should of cancel some of the tour and rested.

Last edited:

The number one video on YouTube, for 'Michael Jackson live', lo and behold, is Smooth Criminal in Munich. Oh no! The comments must be really bad, disastrous, as some of you would make out, yet:

I see no 'oh no he's lip syncing' I see a younger generation praising and recognising Michael Jackson's greatness.

Again and again, I'll say the same, we are microscope level on this. The people watching this don't care if in March 1988 he sang an extra line live. Michael Jackson, at any capacity, is years ahead of anyone else as a live entertainer and it is insulting to Michael, his work ethic and his craft to say that releasing Munich (or Prague) would damage Michael's legacy.

Yes, some negative areas of the press might have criticised the tour, the UK press had a very good go at the time but Michael could never win in the press' eyes. What matters is what you see in the comments. People find the show and people enjoy it. People of all ages, races and backgrounds. And that is what Michael is all about, not crying over using pre-recorded vocals.

Do I agree with it? No. Should he have re-recorded some songs? Yes. Is it the be-all end-all? Absolutely not.

EDIT - on a different video, the 2nd for 'Michael Jackson live' you see the entire Munich concert. ''His voice was really not at its best, which is totally understandable since he performed a lot of concerts in a very tight schedule. Still, he looks stunning. All dance moves and his energy itself are as good as always. Dude was legit. Miss him''

It's not the be all end all to a concert and if it is I question why you're a Michael Jackson fan. There's so much more to Michael than singing and that's what makes him so special.

The tour is subpar compared to every other thing he did before and that's why it's not a good idea to release it, that's without even mentioning the other issues that I have with it. It's illogical to release something that isn't up to standard when there's better stuff. I don't mind a HIStory concert being released, but not as massive promotional thing like some fans seen to think would be a great idea (it wouldn't). It's not really an issue of whether it was right for MJ to lip sync or not and more about the reality and not wanting him to look bad for no reason.

Last edited:
No, you don't. What the tour really was is what was in front of you amongst 90,000 people. The day out, the queuing, the squishing, the singing, crying, dancing, clapping.. none of that is in a YouTube video. If it was people wouldn't be so upset they weren't there also.

It's a different ball game watching on a computer. The show was a day out, an experience. It wasn't a movie made for audiences to watch on DVD - hence Michael scrapping nearly every concert DVD they planned.
Another reason why it shouldn't be released at all. Thats why MJ chose to release the dangerous tour. It worked. We're talking about a concert release. Watching 95% playback on screen isn't great at all. In person it is obviously different. No one is debating that.

The tour is subpar compared to every other thing he did before and that's why it's not a good idea to release it, that's without even mentioning the other issues that I have with it. It's illogical to release something that isn't up to standard when there's better stuff. I don't mind a HIStory concert being released, but not as massive promotional thing like some fans seen to think would be a great idea (it wouldn't). It's not really an issue of whether it was right for MJ to lip sync or not and more about the reality and not wanting him to look bad for no reason.

This just sums it up. Release something that's not open for debate. Michael at his prime won't receive negative reviews. He's respected for his talent by musicians and entertainment critics and pop culture historians. Almost everyone that sees him perform at the top of his game is amazed or at least enjoys it. We know that footage is available, so release that. Not something which will feed the trolls who try to bring him down.

Sure the HIStory tour is enjoyable and there is no shame in liking it or even thinking it's the best of his tours. It just doesn't show his talent in it's full. That's just not something you should even consider to release to the mainstream public.

It's not unreasonable to expect a singer — especially one of Michael's caliber — to actually sing.

Back