‘Decade’ - The story behind the greatest hits album that never happened

Re: The story behind the greatest hits album that never happened

The weird thing is, why didn't they do the statues and all that promotion in the US? That is where all the bad press had been. There is something strange about that choice and I don't know enough about the story to understand it. The promotion was not necessary in Europe and South Africa, at least in terms of the allegations. Yet that is where the statues were. And MJ did not tour in the US to counteract the bad PR either. It's too bad. Maybe he was completely disgusted by America at this time, and was wanting to live in South Africa, he told Diane Sawyer. Still, he remained at Neverland. I wonder why. Because of the children? But then he should have made efforts to win over the americans again...it doesn't add up. Perhaps that was a mistake on his part.

Well, he was popular internationally, so he always focused on them. And the theme of the album was history. Even though it seemed like self-promotion, the idea of the album was to inspire all to strive for a legacy, to make a name. It's not really egotistical.

Also, he did attempt to appeal to American audiences. For one, there's the VMA's Medley (His real and true greatest performance, Ever. The only thing I can find wrong with it is a stain on his pants during "Dangerous".)

But aside from that, there was "One Night Only", which... you should research that, it honestly explains a lot. Here's a good place to start:
http://www.*************.com/michael-jackson-one-night-only/

mjprince1976;4116737 said:
There was a rush on these decade type albums, at the end of the 80s. Maybe they kiboshed Michael's as Bad had only just finished on the charts (Leave me alone, was a hit in early mid 1989) and the music was over 2.5 years old. Not sure if Michael had even started recording Dangerous yet.

Another reason may be the rise of rap and dance/trance/techno music that ruled the charts in 1989, seriously all the pop rap like Young MC/ De La Soul and dance like Technotronic, Black box, Milli Vanilli and Soul 2 Soul, may have put Michael off from releasing more rock like product. Most 1989 chart rock was poodle hair metal, which I doubt MJ liked, stuff like Poison, Skid Row, Warrant and Bon Jovi and Bland MOR like Simply Red and Roxette ruling the charts. As good as some of the music was, 1989 was by far the worst year for 1980s music except 1981, which was a homage to rednecked ass Country pop like Christopher Cross, Oak Ridge boys and Juice Newton and Black music restricted to funk like Lakeside and Dazz band. With Thriller, Michael bought the funky black stuff back into the mainstream (And of course with a little help from a purple dude in Minneapolis, Black music moved back into the forefront of 80s music).

1990 was more of the same, poppy rap, hair metal, turgid MOR (Extreme anyone) and quality music was absent, I know I lived through it. Even worse in the UK and NZ, where we were exposed to a turgid sampling act called Jive Bunny which featured a cartoon rabbit moving to old samples of swing and early rock and roll music. Jive Bunny had 3 Number one hits in a row. All of them were unlistenable dreck. Young MC, MC hammer, C + C music factory anyone, 1989/1990 was the beginning of the great dumbing down of music that has persisted to this day. No wonder Taylor Swift called her album 1989, had she called it 1987, there would have been a riot. Basically great music stopped in 1988.

Seriously 1989 was a garbage year and that golden year of 1987 seemed an eternity away. The only good albums of 1989 were Rhythm Nation and Like a Prayer (Prince's Batman was turgid and his worst 80s record). It is possible a Michael Jackson greatest hits package in 1989 would have tanked, the Bad era songs were probably too fresh in peoples minds and 1989/1990 may have been the only time Thriller would have sounded dated, unless Jive Bunny or some DJ in a garage put on a 1989 style sampled beat on it like the "Ooohh!! Ahhh!!" song you hear in bad bars and stripclubs.

I know Warners were pushing Prince to release a greatest hits set in that year too, after his latest albums, which were critically acclaimed were poor sellers and each succeeding album sold even less than the last (Down from the Purple Rain Peak), he gave them Batman, which was a mega smash, but only because itw as tied in with the movie. The album today is his only 80s album that is not a masterpiece. Dirty Mind to Lovesexy were masterpieces, only 2 songs on Batman were.

It's good Michael waited, as he took the best parts of New Jack swing, dance pop and hair metal to give us Dangerous, 1991s very best album (Although use your Illusion, Blood Sex Sugar Magik and Diamonds and Pearls are great too).

I found your analysis regarding the music scene in the late ‘80s pretty interesting.

Also, some very early ‘Dangerous’ recording sessions must have taken place in 1989 (including the ones with Brian Loren). Those included also a very early recording session of the song ‘Slave 2 the Rhythm’ that was meant for the ‘Dangerous’ album.

Moreover, it seems that some kind of (legal) friction arose in 1989 (between David Geffen & John Branca) that probably also led to the cancellation of the ‘Decade’ greatest hits album. I am referring to the incident that had to do with legal agreements between the two record labels, ‘Geffen Records’ & ‘CBS Records’.

AlwaysThere;4116771 said:
Might be late to this party, but Strawberry Fields Forever was never recorded. There is not a single person who has ever attested to hearing it. Bill Bottrell even personally acknowledged that he was relatively certain it did not exist, and Come Together is the only Beatles song Michael ever recorded.

There were separate groups of producers/engineers that were working (during that period) in completely different & distant studios.

I think the fact that Bill Bottrell (or someone else) never heard that song, it does not mean necessarily that ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ was never recorded (taking into account also the great amount of the songs that were being recorded at that time).

hyperbolical;4116780 said:
The duet and video with Janet (Scream) was also done because she was perceived as the more bankable of the 2 stars at the time. Kind of ironic imo.

MJ had asked Janet to make a duet together even years before, & more specifically, when she was performing in her ‘Rhythm Nation’ World Tour (1990). But she refused for fear of being perceived as an attempt to ride coattails.

hyperbolical;4116784 said:
The weird thing is, why didn't they do the statues and all that promotion in the US? That is where all the bad press had been. There is something strange about that choice and I don't know enough about the story to understand it. The promotion was not necessary in Europe and South Africa, at least in terms of the allegations. Yet that is where the statues were. And MJ did not tour in the US to counteract the bad PR either. It's too bad. Maybe he was completely disgusted by America at this time, and was wanting to live in South Africa, he told Diane Sawyer. Still, he remained at Neverland. I wonder why. Because of the children? But then he should have made efforts to win over the americans again...it doesn't add up. Perhaps that was a mistake on his part.

The promotion was absolutely necessary in Europe & South Africa. The ‘HIStory’ statues were erected in areas where MJ was about to perform so as to hype up the anticipation.

There was no reason for erecting ‘HIStory’ statues in the USA that could have triggered, for the most part, negative reactions.

mj_frenzy;4116882 said:
The promotion was absolutely necessary in Europe & South Africa. The ‘HIStory’ statues were erected in areas where MJ was about to perform so as to hype up the anticipation.

A statue was erected on the roof on the Saturn building (music store chain) in Berlin on the release date of the HIStory album. I think the one in London that was put on a little boat on the river Thames was also in conjunction with the HIStory album release, not the later Tour.

I wonder what recordings of adult MJ singing young MJ songs exhist... those are tracks I'd love to hear!!

Who knows, what IFFFF the "I'll be there" from the pepsi commercial was a part of something that was to be on 'Decade'

So no one else thinks that HIStory was not well promoted in the US? no statues, no tour, a single television performance that never happened, a VMA medley of 15 minutes...
Following on a divorce announcement, a huge controversy about allegedly racist lyrics, which followed on allegations of pedophilia.
I would have thought with his resources he would have been more proactive in the US.
I guess MJ had a choice to either do a PR blitz (and the one with LMP certainly fell flat) or he could ignore the US and focus on Europe where he had no taint which is what he did.

So no one else thinks that HIStory was not well promoted in the US? no statues, no tour, a single television performance that never happened, a VMA medley of 15 minutes...
Following on a divorce announcement, a huge controversy about allegedly racist lyrics, whichall I read was bad press, bad press, bad press-especially about TDCAU. Which was insane-because they obviously weren't
followed on allegations of pedophilia.
I would have thought with his resources he would have been more proactive in the US.
I guess MJ had a choice to either do a PR blitz (and the one with LMP certainly fell flat) or he could ignore the US and focus on Europe where he had no taint which is what he did.
Well, I personally thought HIStory was not promoted well here AT ALL. I've said that before-When HIStory was about to be released, all I heard and read was bad press, bad press, bad press, bad press-especially about TDCAU. Which was insane-because when I finally heard the song, the lyrics were deliberately misconstrued.
I watched the Diane Sawyer interview and (going by memory) watched the "Scream" premiere-and that was memorable to me also because it was the first time I had seen Janet perform since she was a kid. I was proud of her for having his back in that song, even tho I didn't care much for it much at the time. I was paying more attention to the lyrics and the video itself.

After that, except for the fantastic VMA performance, (the reason I finally got cable that year) I saw precious little except for the HIStory teaser in the movie theatre-again more bad press, bad press, bad press-and it was so slanted that I wasn't really hearing anything about the album itself. So I didn't buy it then, since half of it I already owned, in several other formats. I was also in my thirties then and out of the "album buying" demographic, so if there was promotion on the radio or MTV, I don't know. Michael, up to that point, had always had his premieres on national network TV.
I figured he did the smart thing and just took the promotion over to Europe and tour there.

The one plan in the works that I do believe WOULD have gone over great in the US-was the "One Night Only" show-it was a brilliant plan and I am still sorry to this day that he collapsed and it was not rescheduled. I think that show would have given us an intimate performance that would have reestablished what Americans truly loved about Michael in the first place-the music and the magic on stage-not all the circus/mania surrounding him.

I get what you are saying, but part of me still wishes he had done some touring in the US. I wonder if that would have turned things around for him. Everything seemed to go downhill after that in the US and with Sony.
At least we have the VMA performance which 'put him out there' on TV where everyone could see him and appreciate his performance.
It would have been great to see him live. Maybe he felt too vulnerable, like alot of people would say mean things.

I would have loved to see him with Marcel Marceau though. That would have been awesome.
The way the Beacon performance was cancelled just led to more doubt about him, his health, true reason he cancelled, then the divorce hit and TDCAU video got banned. ugh. I wish things had been different.

It would have been great to see him live. Maybe he felt too vulnerable, like alot of people would say mean things.
People had been saying mean things since 86-I remember the ridicule I was hearing all around me and the time of the BAD tour-but at the same time, people were killing themselves to get a ticket-
This was so much worse that I didn't blame him and was glad he didn't tour here-I felt like we didn't deserve it here.

I would have loved to see him with Marcel Marceau though. That would have been awesome.
The way the Beacon performance was cancelled just led to more doubt about him, his health, true reason he cancelled, then the divorce hit and TDCAU video got banned. ugh. I wish things had been different.
Oh me too-that show would have been wonderful. In my mind, I picture it partially dazzling and part of it quiet and intimate in front of a small audience-much like the Variety Show days when I fell in love-when he rolled out that beautiful voice of his and his eyes just melted me through the screen.

Last edited:

HIStory could have been promoted here in the states much more.. I can also understand why the people around Michael would push him to do more outside of the states though!! If I were in his shoes.. I guess I may have done the same!!

Electro;4116938 said:
A statue was erected on the roof on the Saturn building (music store chain) in Berlin on the release date of the HIStory album. I think the one in London that was put on a little boat on the river Thames was also in conjunction with the HIStory album release, not the later Tour.

The ‘HIStory’ statues were meant to promote the album too, considering that a great amount of money was invested in that promotional campaign.

As a result, they were placed also, at the time of the album’s release, in several European cities (including the one at the Alexanderplatz in Berlin) so as to be in sync with a major comeback.

Many people criticized him (& still do) for megalomania, ego & vanity. For me, when it comes to the entertainment/showbiz field, an artist has (in some way) to present something the audience has never seen/experienced before.

So, personally, I applauded that move from the very beginning.

KOPV;4116945 said:
I wonder what recordings of adult MJ singing young MJ songs exhist... those are tracks I'd love to hear!!

I can understand that.

But at the same time I believe that a possible ‘Decade’ release, irrespective of its sales, could have been easily perceived (artistically) as a downgrade from the series of his, up to that point, last three studio albums. I am pretty sure this specific thought crossed his mind more than one times.

Also, I think that a greatest hits album (with very few new tracks) would have confused a lot of people about its concept & direction, in a similar way like ‘Blood on the Dance Floor’ did.

hyperbolical;4116953 said:
So no one else thinks that HIStory was not well promoted in the US?

barbee0715;4116964 said:
Well, I personally thought HIStory was not promoted well here AT ALL.

The ‘HIStory’ album did not need to be restricted (in terms of promotion & sales) to the USA market. They focused on abroad markets (such as Europe & Asia) that offered bigger profits. The reason is that when record companies sell abroad they have the flexibility to implement a different artists’ royalty rates policy that is favorable to these companies. As a result, this leads to better profit margins, & from a business perspective, this makes a lot of sense:

''We think globally. We always dealt with 'HIStory' as a global album. We don't care where we sell it. And in this case, we've been selling well in the high-priced markets where our profit margins are even better.'' (Mel Ilberman, Sony Music International)

mj_frenzy;4117040 said:
Also, I think that a greatest hits album (with very few new tracks) would have confused a lot of people about its concept & direction, in a similar way like ‘Blood on the Dance Floor’ did.

I don't think so, it happens all the time (happened in 2003 with Number Ones even). Throw in the greatest hits to attract the general public who haven't bought their albums yet, then chuck in a demo or two to attract the more hardcore fans who already have these songs.

mj_frenzy;4117040 said:
The ‘HIStory’ album did not need to be restricted (in terms of promotion & sales) to the USA market. They focused on abroad markets (such as Europe & Asia) that offered bigger profits. The reason is that when record companies sell abroad they have the flexibility to implement a different artists’ royalty rates policy that is favorable to these companies. As a result, this leads to better profit margins, & from a business perspective, this makes a lot of sense:

''We think globally. We always dealt with 'HIStory' as a global album. We don't care where we sell it. And in this case, we've been selling well in the high-priced markets where our profit margins are even better.'' (Mel Ilberman, Sony Music International)

Hi, just to be clear I wasn't saying MJ should have restricted promo to the US. Not at all. I was referring to the fact that compared to the rest of the world, there was very little promo in the US for the HIStory album. I was just wondering why.
Here is an article written in 1996 about how big the asian and eastern european markets had become.
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/25/b...-the-growing-stature-of-global-marketing.html

but as the article states, by 1996 HIStory had completely disappeared from the american consciousness because it was not promoted. You seem to know quite a bit about the history, do you know why they did not promote HIStory more to the home market?

We can never imagine the type of pressure Michael was under for the HIStory album considering it was his first album after the allegations. We can say shoulda woulda coulda, but I think we can all understand the reasons behind not doing mass promotion in the U.S. even if we feel he should have..

Around that time I didn't like being in the U.S. for being an MJ fan for Gods sake.... So many times I wished I was abroad specifically because I felt I'd be more accepted and have more people to relate to.. So I could only imagine how HE felt!

hyperbolical;4117046 said:
You seem to know quite a bit about the history, do you know why they did not promote HIStory more to the home market?

The promotion of the ‘HIStory’ album took place in US but in a different, not extravagant way as compared to the rest of the world.

They had to put priorities (mostly geographical ones) to their campaign, which they did. But, money aside, the European, overly aggressive promotional campaign (erecting ‘HIStory’ statues in the center of cities, for example) did not seem to fit to the rather unfavorable, if not hostile, US environment.

Instead of spending millions upon millions (in a US promotional campaign) that would have gone down the drain, they decided to focus on the more profitable areas outside US. Also, the prospects of profiting from those, non-US markets looked very bright considering also that he was about to perform in those areas during a forthcoming giant world tour. For example, Australia was one of MJ’s most profitable territories & thus Sony invested in that specific market a very large proportion of the overall ‘HIStory’ promotional budget.

We should not forget also that the ‘HIStory’ album was meant to be an international priority not only at the time of its release but also during a prolonged period after 1995 (hence the top position it held for a three-year period in the ‘Sony International Priorities’ list).

MJ approached his US-based audience & thus promoting also his new album ‘(HIStory’) at that time in multiple ways, for example:

- He gave a brief press conference (accompanied by Mayor Giuliani) in New York to announce the ‘MTV Video Awards’ & his forthcoming ‘HBO Special’ concert.

- He gave a US-based interview to Bill Bellami that was used for a special called ‘Michael Jackson Changes History’.

- He even rehearsed with a view to perform for them by staging his most intimate concerts of his career (‘HBO Special’, New York). MJ seemed that he wanted to reconstruct/rebuild his connection to them by means of a very special show.

- He performed live a song from his new album (‘You are not Alone’) in Washington at the 15th Anniversary 'Black Entertainment Television' (BET) while he was the first mega artist to be inducted in the BET’s ‘Walk of Fame’ (1995).

- He gave a US-based performance (New York) with guaranteed, very high TV rates (‘MTV 1995 Video Music Awards’).

- He gave his first formal cyber chat at Museum of Radio and Television in Manhattan (1995). The participants reached the number of 6.000 & thus he came first in the list leaving Bill Clinton behind him in the second position with 5.500 participants.

- He appeared on stage at the VH-1 Awards in Los Angeles along with Boyz 2 Men (a group that appeared on the ‘HIStory’ album) & sang few lines of the song ‘We Are The World’.

- MTV America changed temporarily its name to MJTV in June (1995).

- He gave an US-based lengthy interview (ABC Prime Time) in which his new video from his new album aired (‘Scream’). That interview was later officially named as the most watched TV program of 1995.

- The ‘HIStory’ video teaser (the one that was shot in Budapest) was being aired at some cinemas as an advertisement just before movies started.

Thanks for the well researched list.
I didn't realize some of those efforts.
Despite the list, I think its not much effort for a massive country like US. Not in terms of connecting directly with fans, he seemed content instead to do a few TV appearances to reach the masses through the screen.

I did a google search and most of the US based reviews were quite negative towards MJ re. the album.
But they also mentioned the statues and that there was in fact a statue of MJ erected in Los Angeles at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd.
But I couldn't find a picture of it anywhere onllne so I don't really know if it happened. Anyone see a photo? I would have thought there would be more press about it.

MJ also didn't tour in the US for Dangerous. I guess the US wasn't that important to him even before the allegations.
By contrast he did over 50 appearances in the US for the BAD tour.

Re, the Decades album, JRT mentions that MJ was becoming close to Geffen at the time and Geffen advised him it was a mediocre idea and to do the new material instead.

hyperbolical;4117112 said:
But they also mentioned the statues and that there was in fact a statue of MJ erected in Los Angeles at Tower Records on Sunset Blvd.
But I couldn't find a picture of it anywhere onllne so I don't really know if it happened. Anyone see a photo? I would have thought there would be more press about it.
Re, the Decades album, JRT mentions that MJ was becoming close to Geffen at the time and Geffen advised him it was a mediocre idea and to do the new material instead.

A ‘HIStory’ statue, made of plaster & wood, was erected in Los Angeles (Tower Records, Sunset Boulevard) on the day when his album was released. But it was different from the ones that were placed in various European cities at that time:

http://hutchinsphoto.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Michael-Jackson/G0000xoVWrQPWi4w/I0000FvmZi.TdqQ8/C0000YPrToy2w2fA

Concerning David Geffen, various stories circulated about his relationship with MJ at that time (like the one you mentioned). It seems that Geffen played a role in the ‘Decade’ album because he tried to influence MJ in several ways. For example, it is said also that, during that period, he tried to make MJ leave 'CBS Records' & sign a new contract with his record label (‘Geffen Records’).

mj_frenzy;4117153 said:
A ‘HIStory’ statue, made of plaster & wood, was erected in Los Angeles (Tower Records, Sunset Boulevard) on the day when his album was released. But it was different from the ones that were placed in various European cities at that time:

http://hutchinsphoto.photoshelter.c...xoVWrQPWi4w/I0000FvmZi.TdqQ8/C0000YPrToy2w2fA

Concerning David Geffen, various stories circulated about his relationship with MJ at that time (like the one you mentioned). It seems that Geffen played a role in the ‘Decade’ album because he tried to influence MJ in several ways. For example, it is said also that, during that period, he tried to make MJ leave 'CBS Records' & sign a new contract with his record label (‘Geffen Records’).

Never seen that version. It looks more cartoony than the European ones. I can't help but feel the promo would be more effective without including the cut out version right next to it.

thanks alot for finding that LA statue!

There was also said to be an event or statue at NYC Time Square, know anything about that?
I appreciate all your research and knowledge!

Agree Chris, the doubling up is very weird.

So Decade became HIStory did not know that and i never saw that picture before either.

hyperbolical;4117294 said:
thanks alot for finding that LA statue!

There was also said to be an event or statue at NYC Time Square, know anything about that?
I appreciate all your research and knowledge!

There was a promotional campaign (organized by his record company) that took place at Times Square in New York City when the album ‘HIStory’ was released. But the ‘HIStory’ statue, instead of taking a physical form, it was only presented in the form of a giant, promotional (wall) sign.

pminton;4117295 said:
So Decade became HIStory did not know that and i never saw that picture before either.

I would not call it that way.

I mean that ‘Decade’ never evolved into ‘HIStory’ because it was meant (the ‘HIStory' album) as a totally different project from the very beginning.

MJ also didn't tour in the US for Dangerous. I guess the US wasn't that important to him even before the allegations.
By contrast he did over 50 appearances in the US for the BAD tour.

That is because of the cancellation of the tour. US & Australia shows were planned as fourth and final leg of the tour in early 1994.

^^I think so too. I believe the appearances in 92-93 in the US (inauguration, Super Bowl, Oprah, Grammys, etc.) was to set the anticipation here for that last leg.

I cannot find any schedule that lists the Dangerous tour in mainland USA. there were some in Mexico. But not USA or Canada.
If I recall he made very little money on this tour. Can anybody fill this info in, when the american mainland tour dates were going to happen for Dangerous?
this is what I got.

http://michael-jackson.wikia.com/wiki/Dangerous_World_Tour
The first leg ended Oct 92
The second leg was Dec 92 in Japan.
The third leg was considered to start in Aug 93 and ended Nov in Mexico City but was planned to continue originally to DR, PR, UAE, Australia, Indonesia, India

Here are the ones that were cancelled:
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelJacksonDangerousWorldTour/posts/300864473377204
Cancellations and postponements
Warm up gig (1992)

04/14/1992: Lahore, Pakistan; BANNED/CANCELLED

First leg (1992)
08/01/92: London, England, Wembley Stadium; CANCELLED (Jackson reported a viral infection.) Rescheduled for August 23, 1992.

08/21/92: London, England, Wembley Stadium; Rescheduled for August 20, 1992. (Due to tour restructuring.)

A 09/06/92: Gelsenkirchen, Germany, Parkstadion; CANCELLED (Due to serious health problem.)

B 09/11/92: Basel, Switzerland, St. Jakob Stadium; CANCELLED (Due to serious health problem.)

C 10/04/92: Istanbul, Turkey, İnönü Stadium; CANCELLED (Jackson arrived in Istanbul 2 October. Five hours before Jackson was due to perform, an announcement was made that, due to a vocal cord ailment, the concert had been cancelled.)During the same tour he later performed in Istanbul, Turkey 23 September 1993.

D 10/07/92: Izmir, Turkey, İzmir Atatürk Stadium; CANCELLED (Due to serious health problem.)

E 10/10/92: Athens, Greece, Olympic Stadium; CANCELLED (Due to serious health problem.)

The European leg of the Dangerous World Tour ended after 37 of 42 planned dates, due to Jackson's ill health. He rested for several weeks before flying to Japan.

There were some initial plans to take the tour to Venice, Italy; Liverpool, England; Stuttgart, Germany; Sevilla, Spain.These plans were later suspended.

Jackson had also planned to end the 1992 Europe tour in Moscow Red Square, Russia. During the same tour he later performed in Moscow, Russia 15 September 1993.

Third leg (1993)
F 08/15/93: Hong Kong, Sha Tin Racecourse; CANCELLED (Originally, the Dangerous World Tour was to begin in Hong Kong with shows on August 15 and 16. Those dates were cancelled and could not be rescheduled because it would conflict with the start of the racing season.)

F 08/16/93: Hong Kong, Sha Tin Racecourse; CANCELLED

08/25/93: Bangkok, Thailand, National Stadium; CANCELLED (Jackson recovered from dehydration.) Rescheduled for August 26, 1993.

08/26/93: Bangkok, Thailand, National Stadium; CANCELLED (Jackson wasn't fully recovered from dehydration.) Rescheduled for August 27, 1993.

08/30/93: Singapore, National Stadium; CANCELLED (Jackson collapsed before the show had begun.) Rescheduled for September 1, 1993.

09/07/93 or 09/08/93; (another rejected application to perform in Seoul) 11/13/94 and 11/14/93: Seoul, South Korea, Olympic Stadium; BANNED/CANCELLED (This concert was banned by the authorities.)

09/30/93: Johannesburg, South Africa; CANCELLED (Marcel Avram, a concert promoter, claimed that he had no contract with the local promoter and these concerts were cancelled due to continuing violence in South Africa.)

10/02/93: Johannesburg, South Africa; CANCELLED

10/19/93: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Maracanã Stadium; CANCELLED (This concert was cancelled due to tour restructuring.)

G 10/21/93: Santiago, Chile, Chile National Stadium; CANCELLED (Due to serious health problem.) Rescheduled for October 25, 1993. CANCELLED

H 10/26/93: Lima, Peru, Estadio Nacional Jose Diaz; CANCELLED (Due to serious health problem.)

10/30/93: Mexico City, Mexico, Azteca Stadium; RESCHEDULED Rescheduled for October 31, 1993. (Due to tour restructuring.)

11/02/93: Mexico City, Mexico, Azteca Stadium; CANCELLED Rescheduled for November 7, 1993. (Due to serious health problem.)

11/03/93: Mexico City, Mexico, Azteca Stadium; CANCELLED Rescheduled for November 9, 1993. (Jackson recovered from surgery.)

11/06/93: Mexico City, Mexico, Azteca Stadium; CANCELLED Rescheduled for November 11, 1993. (Jackson continued to recover.)

11/09/93: San Juan, Puerto Rico, Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium; CANCELLED Rescheduled for November 14, 1993. CANCELLED

11/12/93: Caracas, Venezuela, Poliedro de Caracas; CANCELLED Rescheduled for November 19, 1993. CANCELLED

Dubai, United Arab Emirates, al-Maktoum Stadium; BANNED/CANCELLED (Jackson planned to give 2 concerts in Dubai. These concerts were banned.)

12/03/93: Sydney, Australia; Sydney Cricket Ground; CANCELLED

12/04/93: Sydney, Australia; Sydney Cricket Ground; CANCELLED

12/06/93 or 12/07/93: Melbourne, Australia, Waverley Park; CANCELLED

Jakarta, Indonesia, Gelora Bung Karno Stadium;
BANNED/CANCELLED (This concert was banned by the authorities.)

New Delhi, India, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Delhi; CANCELLED
(There were plans to give 2 concerts in India and these were supposed to be the last concerts of the tour in December 1993.)

There were also plans to take the tour to Monterrey, Mexico and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in November/December 1993.

I cannot find any schedule that lists the Dangerous tour in mainland USA. there were some in Mexico. But not USA or Canada.
If I recall he made very little money on this tour. Can anybody fill this info in, when the american mainland tour dates were going to happen for Dangerous?
this is what I got.

Planned, not scheduled. Just like This Is It was planned to go worldwide after London.

^^And going by memory, I thought he made NO money on this tour. The whole purpose was for 'Heal the World' foundation and all money went to it, not him.

^^And going by memory, I thought he made NO money on this tour. The whole purpose was for 'Heal the World' foundation and all money went to it, not him.

He made A LOT of money (circa US $100 million ($163.81 in 2015 dollars)), but he gave it away or spend it. So I think he came home after 2 years on the road with negative budget. Stupid stupid move.

He made A LOT of money (circa US $100 million ($163.81 in 2015 dollars)), but he gave it away or spend it. So I think he came home after 2 years on the road with negative budget. Stupid stupid move.
That's what I meant-every penny that he made went to Heal the World and everything it supported: orphanages, hospitals, etc.
I don't think it was a stupid move since that was the reason he went back on tour.
(I suppose it's only stupid if you knew Chandler was coming and his life and livelihood were about to be destroyed.)

Last edited:
That's what I meant-every penny that he made went to Heal the World and everything it supported: orphanages, hospitals, etc.
I don't think it was a stupid move since that was the reason he went back on tour.
(I suppose it's only stupid if you knew Chandler was coming and his life and livelihood were about to be destroyed.)

He gave too much in my opinion.

Back