Did Michael consider wearing the outfit from the Billie Jean music video for Motown 25?

MKTCREATE

Proud Member
Not that I’m complaining coz I love the iconic Billie Jean live performance outfit but I wonder why he didn’t wear the same outfit as in the music video, considering that was released only a couple of weeks before Motown 25. Anyone got any insight into this from people who worked with him? With Beat It, Thriller etc, he wears what he wore in the videos, but with Billie Jean he doesn’t. Did he not like the music video outfit? Or maybe he didn’t think it’d work for a live audience? Was the bowtie too evocative of the Off The Wall era which I imagine he was trying to progress from?

It would have gave away the surprise. Billie Jean at Motown 25 was huge partially because of how unexpected yet anticipated it was.

Beat It and Thriller were made to be iconic, while the BJ video came to be distinctly overshadowed by Motown 25. And that was likely the intention.

The outfit of the 'Billie Jean' music video is rather ordinary.

It appears that Michael Jackson wanted a sparkling and shining outfit (for his 'Billie Jean' performance at the Motown 25 event) in order for him to better accentuate his new dance moves for that song.

The singer decided to keep that outfit design even for the subsequent performances of that song (Victory Tour, BAD Tour, etc) with some slight changes on it.

Where is that Billie Jean video outfit today?
Now this is a good ass thread lmao but that is
a great question! I've never seen it anywhere...literally ANYWHERE! I've even seen 1969-70s costumes but that particular leather suit & black & white shoes.... never have I seen it again! It's things like this that should've been mentioned/talked about in thriller 40!

Don’t think he did because, as we know, Billie Jean was somewhat of a late addition to the show. Michael was supposed to perform with his brothers only, but he agreed to do it only if he could also perform one of his solo songs.

Obviously he was not going to wear the Billie Jean outfit from the music video for The Love You Save or the other J5 songs because it would have ruined the surprise of what song he will do later. He also could not have really changed in-between.

Don’t think he did because, as we know, Billie Jean was somewhat of a late addition to the show. Michael was supposed to perform with his brothers only, but he agreed to do it only if he could also perform one of his solo songs.

Obviously he was not going to wear the Billie Jean outfit from the music video for The Love You Save or the other J5 songs because it would have ruined the surprise of what song he will do later. He also could not have really changed in-between.
Good point.

Could be because he also performed other songs. Maybe he didn't consider the outfit he wore at the event Billie Jean outfit yet.

Maybe the hat was the outfit for the song at that time. Of course I could be very wrong.
It was, part of it. I think it's just easier to say the MV outfit for Billie Jean kinda didn't matter so much. There's a few times that happens. Jam, most of HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor, You Rock My World. Totally different designs between the videos and the live versions.

It was, part of it. I think it's just easier to say the MV outfit for Billie Jean kinda didn't matter so much. There's a few times that happens. Jam, most of HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor, You Rock My World. Totally different designs between the videos and the live versions.
I never thought about that... although he did wear that button down white shirt & black pants quite often. Victory tour, man in the mirror/ twymmf, will you be there, black or white, dirty diana & ghost...

I remember reading (a long time ago) some text explaining how he came up with the Motown 25 outfit... and now I wonder but it may have been in Moonwalk. Maybe there's context in there.

Now that I think about it, he wore the same design on triumph tour but with a white shirt instead of black

I've never seen him in this... the estate holds so much....I will never understand why.

There are pictures from the MSG shows in 1981 showing him wearing this outfit.
I gotta find those

Edit: of course I've seen him in this...what tf am I thinking🤦🏿‍♂️🤣🤣. I guess the photo threw me off because the pants turned colors over the years

I think the outfit from the video beautifully compliments the colour scheme of the background scenery💜

yet it would’ve been too casual for the motown 25 performance - which was magical 🤩it might’ve worked if it was bedazzled like red zipper jacket was on the ‘victory’ tour.🤔

I think the moonwalk also played a crucial role in his wardrobe decision; in order for the move to be the most effective, the shoes /socks combo had to catch the eye. this wasn’t the case in the video.

I remember reading that michael promised not to wear leather again (or at least, as much) after the ‘billie jean’ video. I think it was for ethical reasons connected to his veganism at the time. I don’t remember exactly. it was a long time ago..

either way, that performance and that video, are my two favourite visuals from michael 💜

I think the outfit from the video beautifully compliments the colour scheme of the background scenery💜

yet it would’ve been too casual for the motown 25 performance - which was magical 🤩it might’ve worked if it was bedazzled like red zipper jacket was on the ‘victory’ tour.🤔

I think the moonwalk also played a crucial role in his wardrobe decision; in order for the move to be the most effective, the shoes /socks combo had to catch the eye. this wasn’t the case in the video.

I remember reading that michael promised not to wear leather again (or at least, as much) after the ‘billie jean’ video. I think it was for ethical reasons connected to his veganism at the time. I don’t remember exactly. it was a long time ago..

either way, that performance and that video, are my two favourite visuals from michael 💜
Really? The whole following era was about leather.

Really? The whole following era was about leather.
what came after was the complete opposite of ‘thriller’ in more ways than one..

still, I’m sure the jackets in ‘beat it’, ‘thriller’ and the (street) pepsi ad were leather. though as he (allegedly) promised, they weren’t as much as the outfit in the ‘billie jean’ video.

what came after was the complete opposite of ‘thriller’ in more ways than one..

still, I’m sure the jackets in ‘beat it’, ‘thriller’ and the (street) pepsi ad were leather. though as he (allegedly) promised, they weren’t as much as the outfit in the ‘billie jean’ video.
In the Bad era he wore leather a lot

Back