Do you like the "king of pop" title?

Aw man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it. It's just, idk, there's been a lot of regulars on this sub, none of them wanted to be mods. In the decade I've been on here I think I've known only like 5 mods. Probably less so.
"Sub"?? Bruh, this isn't Reddit! šŸ¤£

Anyway. No hate towards Frank Sinatra, but he's no "King of Pop".

Also IMO anyone who keeps downplaying MJ's legacy, on a fan forum of all places, should just delete their account here and go work for Rolling Stone instead.šŸµ

"Sub"?? Bruh, this isn't Reddit! šŸ¤£

Anyway. No hate towards Frank Sinatra, but he's no "King of Pop".

Also IMO anyone who keeps downplaying MJ's legacy, on a fan forum of all places, should just delete their account here and go work for Rolling Stone instead.šŸµ
Well tbf Frank was certainly the King of the Crooners and a massive massive star both in music and film.

Frank Sinatra is amazing. One of the best singers up there with Freddie Mercury and MJ - But his songs are not what I would call pop songs.
Well, 'pop' as in 'popular' for the time. Not pop music as it's understood today with the type of sound a lot of pop music has.

Lady is a Tramp
New York New York
My Way
Strangers in The night

List goes on forever - Frank Sinatra has sooo many songs (like Elvis he never wrote a song, he only sang other peoples songs)
Indeed, and he was a true genius, imo. Ngl, I wasn't keen on the big hits he had in the 1960's and later on. Basically those songs you just listed. His earlier stuff and the songs from his films are the ones I prefer. But he was genius. For me, he was.

Mr- Blue Eye was jazz and Swing. - I have many many of his concerts - always with a Big Band with many people playing all the classical instruments.

I have never heard Frank Sinatra refered to as King of Pop
I don't know if it was ever an official designation. Chairman of the Board and Ol' Blue Eyes are the titles that most people know. But he has (allegedly) sold more singles than Michael. He had a really successful film career, he won an Oscar and a Golden Globe. He started his own record label. I think by any reasonable measure he could be a contender for the title 'the king of pop'. Not that I care and I don't know if such a 'title' was ever used for him in his lifetime.

Here is the source for the claim re the record sales figures. No idea if this info is reliable but it is recent.

Last edited:
I love a lot of the classic musicals once they are turned into Hollywood films but musical theatre, generally, is not my jam. But SoM is so embedded into popular culture. Or maybe not, lol. :ROFLMAO:

Oh it definitely is. Gets aired each year during the festive period in Belgium. I liked the film but it is not the genre I would revisit. I have seen many of the classics, including a whole bunch of Fred Astaire films but apart from the dance numbers there isn ā€˜t much to enjoy for me.
I have seen a couple of Bollywood films last year and there I loved the usage of musical numbers in the scenes because they are so extravagant. Another ā€œmusicalā€ I loved was dancer in the dark with Bjork.

Hiker can I ask how old you are?

I was reading your posts and I'm flabbergasted that you've never heard of Frank Sinatra? Like seriously? šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«
I am not that young, but you are talking to someone who spent their life buried in books and work, away from pop culture, and I am proud of that because I overcame a LOT to build the life I have today. Up until I became a fan, I used to think Michael Jackson is someone who did these loud fast songs like Thriller and Beat It, šŸ˜‚ Imagine that!! Of course I knew him as someone very big in pop culture, king of pop, but I had nothing to do with that culture. It blew my mind šŸ¤Æ to find out that YANA is also Michael, and that's how this whole journey started, šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. And I have no interest in expanding my horizons to outside of Michael's music. He takes about 110% of my time now šŸ¤©šŸ’«

Well, 'pop' as in 'popular' for the time. Not pop music as it's understood today with the type of sound a lot of pop music has.

Indeed, and he was a true genius, imo. Ngl, I wasn't keen on the big hits he had in the 1960's and later on. Basically those songs you just listed. His earlier stuff and the songs from his films are the ones I prefer. But he was genius. For me, he was.

I don't know if it was ever an official designation. Chairman of the Board and Ol' Blue Eyes are the titles that most people know. But he has (allegedly) sold more singles than Michael. He had a really successful film career, he won an Oscar and a Golden Globe. He started his own record label. I think by any reasonable measure he could be a contender for the title 'the king of pop'. Not that I care and I don't know if such a 'title' was ever used for him in his lifetime.

Here is the source for the claim re the record sales figures. No idea if this info is reliable but it is recent.

I could easy believe Frank sold more singles than MJ - Frank also released more than 100 singles I would guess - MJ only released 30-40 singles in his adult carreer. Frank is one of my favorites too - he is the best crooner ever. I have many of his concerts on DVD, concerts for the Americans is amazing. - One of my favorites is Love been good to me. - Not very known I think and I doubt he ever sang it at live concerts, but he sings it with so much passion, feeling and emotion - great song and delivery. :)

I could easy believe Frank sold more singles than MJ - Frank also released more than 100 singles I would guess
Sounds about right. He released 59 studio albums in his lifetime, I believe.

Frank is one of my favorites too
Well, I've always taken him for granted and been a bit blase about him. Maybe precisely bc he was SO prolific and also did so many successful films which is the bit of his career I love the most. Anyway, I suddenly feel the need to do a bit of rapid reassessment, lol.

- he is the best crooner ever.
Oh, it's funny you should say that. Just today I was watching an interview clip where he was adamant he's not a crooner. I already can't remember the details. Between him and Quincy Jones, I've posted so much today it's all beginning to blur, lol. I didn't post the clip and didn't bookmark it. But I thought it was interesting to hear his thoughts on this. I just recently picked up a copy of Bill Zehme's book, Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin' - don't know if there's anything on this in there. I'll have to see.

I have many of his concerts on DVD, concerts for the Americans is amazing. - One of my favorites is Love been good to me.
Oh, I created a thread for Frank today but didn't think to add that one.

- Not very known I think and I doubt he ever sang it at live concerts, but he sings it with so much passion, feeling and emotion - great song and delivery. :)
It is gorgeous. It's pretty well known in the UK, I would say. Top 10 hit in the 1960's. Not my fave - I'm not sure I have a fave song from Frank. I don't listen to him loads, ngl. But that is a great song. Let me go and find it.

FvXCwUxWIAA2AI9

Interesting, yes.

Otherwise, itā€™s often said that Elizabeth Taylor gave him the title. Regardless, Iā€™ve always found it provoking how the press always felt it necessary to note the title as ā€œself-proclaimedā€, as if they wanted the audience to read it as ā€œnot recognized by othersā€ between the lines.

If memory serves me, Elizabeth proposed a longer title. Might have been ā€œThe King of Pop, Rock, and Soulā€?

I think the title belongs to him like his regular name. It's so natural when an announcement comes like he met "the King of Pop" personally, everyone knows who is meant.

Iā€™d personally prefer ā€œLegend of Popā€

worse! European :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Seriously though, I am really not into music. Pop culture was never part of my life up until last year. Even now its just Michael, I don't venture beyond that. So my not knowing this Sintara person does not hurt his popularity.
SINTARA Lmaooo :ROFLMAO:

They made a big deal of this in the Think Twice podcast, about how he would only do certain interviews if they called him the King of Pop. Which to be honest I can believe, but he was so I donā€™t blame him.

Personally, I never liked the title. I guess that title alone could be a reason people stay away from his music.

"King of Pop Culture" would be fun. "King of Pop, Rock and Soul" sounds really cool, but it's never really used anywhere and probably a little bit over the top.

If networks are gonna use you for their own gain, then it's only right that you'd get something out of it yourself.
I would say that is probably one of the most important things when we want to understand what was going on in Michael's mind a lot of times. :LOL: Trying to make the best deals that serve his interests and big goals.

The media saying "self-proclaimed" again and again is just their bitter way of pointing out that they HAD to call him like that at a certain point. I can't really blame them being pissed off about that, LOL. But look where we are now. Michael is still called the KING OF POP. So I would say ... worth it? :LOL:

He was so much more than the king of Pop but it's his title.

It's too little for him as Berry Gordy said

Back