Do You Think Michael was Feminine?

Not to offend anyone but Michael was a male and born a male. he even said it himself. everyone has their own opinions and things in life but Michael was a male. if you see Michael a woman or something then that's you. BUT do know that he is a male.

No one said Michael was anything but male. It's just interesting to see ways that he went against what people think of as a "typical man."

Also, I hope I didn't confuse or offend anyone earlier by bringing up my own identity and information about afab/amab people. (Also, just so we're clear, those terms aren't intended to imply that doctors "just randomly assign" gender. The point is more that biological sex is a separate thing from gender identity. There are a lot of things that help define who a person is, but the shape of their private parts is not inherently one of those things.) My intent was just to provide a possibly unique perspective on this topic, not to try to say Michael was anything other than a biological male who identified as a man.

Nantucket Cat, to just about anyone who ever used to take courses in Human Biology in school —— long before any of the currently popular ideas/theories of gender as nothing more than a “social construct” came about, ideas that have no basis in the everyday genetic, physical and bodily realities of life and normal human existence, proven with scientific facts (besides one’s perception of people based only on social interactions with them, on their outward appearance, dress/clothing, mannerisms, voice-type and behavior —— basically, what someone else publicly sees and hears, how he/she/they would interact with others —— nothing more beyond that) —— the words “Sex” and “Gender” mean the same thing, both being used interchangeably. There is no differentiation between the biological aspect and the social one; In fact, it’s mainly biological, anyway, more than social.

Last edited:
Not to offend anyone but Michael was a male and born a male. he even said it himself. everyone has their own opinions and things in life but Michael was a male. if you see Michael a woman or something then that's you. BUT do know that he is a male.

who said he was a woman? what a weird extreme to go.

Your thread asked if you thought he was feminine...

Well, AtlasAir, my User Name is just exactly what it is —— MINE, and no one else’s —— PERIOD. I really hope you meant what you said in a good, positive way. Not in any negative one.

Well, AtlasAir, my User Name is just exactly what it is —— MINE, and no one else’s —— PERIOD. I really hope you meant what you said in a good, positive way, and not in any kind of negative one.

You're right about that. No one's gonna take that username from you. It is indeed yours. Period.

I always thought of it this way: Michael was male, but he loved beauty. He played with different looks during his lifetime. He looked especially male during 1995 and 1996 with his short wig, but went back to the tried and true long hair, I’m guessing because he felt more comfortable that way.

I think of him in the same way I think of Eddie Izzard. Male, hetero, but loved to play with gender. Loved make-up and long hair. It didn’t take away from anything. The way that man (Michael) sat and carried himself showed he was a wonderful mix.

Mikky Dee;4259148 said:
I don't really understand "assigned female" and "assigned male".....it's not as though it's just picked at random by medical staff on a child's birthday. To me, gender itself is a biological fact as old as time and is based on very specific physical features.

That’s the way most people normally still think (including us), in that last sentence of your comments, Mikky Dee. But, some people want to act like they’ve never been taught even the most basic principles of Human Biology —— being that Male chromosomes are “XY” and Female chromosomes are “XX,” determining the outcome of what one’s physical body and REALITY of everyday life will be like from birth onwards —— no matter what others on the outside publicly perceive of him or her as a person, be it socially, behaviorally, through the outward appearance, through the sound of the voice, or otherwise.

In spite of what outsiders’ public perception is or may be* (*based solely on what they see and hear, and how they socially interact with anyone who seems to be “different” in his or her manner of dress, in voice or in perceived behavior), a person’s physical, bodily and genetic structure is what it is from conception and birth, and they remain the way they are throughout life. Some physical aspects do not —— and, absolutely
CANNOT —— ever change at all, but will ALWAYS remain the same, even in seemingly “abnormal” conditions and/or circumstances.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Biological sex, i.e. chromosomes and natural sex organs, is not the same as gender. Gender isn't defined by biology, that's why transgender people exist. Gender is a mental sense of identity which usually correlates with biological sex, but not always. Even biological sex isn't totally straightforward, because some people are intersex.

And on that note: debating the validity of sex or gender is discrimination. Discrimination is not permitted on MJJC. Please stay on topic and have respect for other members.

I totally forgot about this thread. i was new here. anyway i'm gonna ignore this thread. Michael was born natural male. blessings.

mj_frenzy;4257995 said:
MJ was androgynous, not feminine.

In other words, he was partly masculine & partly feminine in his appearance/behaviour.

Also, Harrison Funk (one of his personal photographers for nearly 30 years) has clearly suggested it that.

… It wasn’t so much femininity on Michael’s part as androgyny - he was fluid around gender. Michael had no interest in assigning a gender to anybody… he didn’t overtly identify as one particular gender… “ (Harrison Funk)

MJ’s androgyny is especially apparent on his ‘You Are Not Alone’ & ‘Childhood’ music videos, where his use of make-up is excessive.

Also, during his public appearances with his then-wife Lisa Marie Presley, MJ was wearing more make-up than his wife did (which was another sign of his androgyny).

Moreover, his speaking & singing voice showed his androgyny, too.

Apart from his normal male voice, MJ on numerous occasions intentionally spoke but also sang in a high-pitched voice that sounded more like a feminine voice.

MJ intentionally wanted to have that androgynous personality in general, mainly because he wanted to create a mystery around him & to make people speculate about him all the time.
The main reason he wore heavy makeup had nothing to do with sex or gender; it was to conceal his vitiligo. Karen Faye said he tried hiding it from her too, at the beginning...but in a relatively short timespan, it became much more difficult to use the brown areas of his skin as a starting point. As a result, she used the lighter areas, which eventually took over the majority of his body. I remember Jermaine saying in his book, that Michael's chest looked like a white man with a coffee stain, from the disease.

Moviefan2k4;4297282 said:
The main reason he wore heavy makeup had nothing to do with sex or gender; it was to conceal his vitiligo. Karen Faye said he tried hiding it from her too, at the beginning...but in a relatively short timespan, it became much more difficult to use the brown areas of his skin as a starting point. As a result, she used the lighter areas, which eventually took over the majority of his body. I remember Jermaine saying in his book, that Michael's chest looked like a white man with a coffee stain, from the disease.

His vitiligo skin disease was certainly not the main reason.

Michael Jackson was fascinated with applying heavy make-up on his face, mainly for creating that androgynous image that would make people speculate all the time about him.

On one occasion in 1986, Michael Jackson entered secretly Diana Ross’ dressing room (at the Caesars Palace in Las Vegas) and he started putting on her make-up.

Diana Ross was shocked to see that when she returned back to her dressing room.

That incident at the Caesars Palace also shows that Michael Jackson wanted to have androgynous (if not feminine) characteristics on his face.

Look also at his choice of colours of his make-up, which generally was a glossy, bright red lipstick tied with black (semi-) permanent eyeliner.

He chose those two colours because he wanted to create that chromatic antithesis on his face, which would in turn draw even more attention to him.

His androgynous look (in terms of make-up) became even closer to feminine in the ‘90s when he started to use heavier eyeliner and heavier mascara.

Keep in mind also that he used to treat his face like a piece of art.

After all, he was also a male pop singer, and it is very common for male pop singers to use heavy make-up on their faces with the intent to create an androgynous image.

^^^^

It's not because I say it's not correct or anything, but it sounds more like your opinion than straight facts... - even though it is written as if it is confirmed information...

There are indeed pictures where MJ looks very feminine IMO.

BUT - whenever he went on tour it was not like that at all. - also for the TII he looked like BAD/Dangerous era MJ again. Not feminine at all.

Most superstars do things to get attention, to get people wonder etc. - I think MJ did so too.

i'm pretty much done with this thread but someone bumped when i even said i'm done with it. :doh: i love Bad Michael. i think it's depends how you view things. in my opinion boys and guys can have androgynous look.

i'm pretty much done with this thread but someone bumped when i even said i'm done with it. :doh: i love Bad Michael. i think it's depends how you view things. in my opinion boys and guys can have androgynous look.

Once a thread like this takes off it doesn't matter if the original poster is done with it or not. It's something to consider before you start a new thread.

This was a very old thread that I made. so i just leave it to die? cause this was thread i made when i was a new user over a year ago.

I think other people are allowed to post if they think there is something to discuss. You don't have to participate if you don't want to. :)

He did have a bit feminine look sometimes. I don't know if it was intentional but I can understand why some might say that he looked feminine:
icAUYa3.jpg

Last edited:
I never saw him as feminine looking.
As a kid I was one of those action junkies, crazy about Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean Claude Van Damme, Bruce Lee etc but I also adored MJ's look, he looked totally bad ass to me. The long curly hair, buckles and belts and hat. Damn cool is what he looked like in my eyes even if he didn't have the olympic manly bodies of the action stars.
He didn't act feminine either imo, child like yes but not girly.

That's what i'm saying it's depends what your views are. while someone else may agree not everyone will.

Oh. well i'm just gonna let this thread die then. in my opinion boys and guys can have androgynous look.

see ya.

Oh, well. . . .I’m just going to let this thread die, then. In my opinion, people (whether their birth-gender is Male or Female) can have an “androgynous” look.
@NatureCriminal7896, I don’t see anything wrong with the thread you started AT ALL. . . .under any circumstances. We each have our own personal beliefs and opinions regarding this subject matter, however controversial it is or may be to most people. Rather than let this thread completely die, allow other posters to express opinions on certain matters, even if not everyone agrees with a particular point of view.

With that being said, in my honest opinion, Michael didn’t necessarily have a specific “look,” per sé, that was either of one gender or the other (as an adult), from his and his brothers’ “Thriller”/“Victory” era onwards, throughout the last half of his life. His “look” became more “androgynous” and “young”/“childlike” as he aged, rather than exclusively “masculine” or “feminine.” It was the same thing with his behavior, as well as with the literal sound of his voice, his outward physical appearance, etc., not necessarily fitting into a long-ago outdated stereotype of how men and women —— or, boys and girls, for that matter —— “should” or “ought to” behave.

Last edited:
I'm done with this thread. you guys can do whatever you want. just don't keep coming to me with this. have a bless night.

I don't see anything wrong with the question either but I don't think he was feminine at all. I see why others would think that though.

There's this french archive video (1:24) where they say that in order to reach the success of Thriller Michael metamorphosed into a new look, new hair style, and call it ambiguous. Who is him, man, female, mutant ? :doh:

I think he was unique and looked like nobody else. He was so beautiful. :mj5:

Galactus123;4297348 said:
I think other people are allowed to post if they think there is something to discuss. You don’t have to participate if you don’t want to. :)

He did have a bit “feminine” look, sometimes. I don’t know if it was intentional, but I can understand why some might say that he looked “feminine”:

icAUYa3.jpg

^^^THIS, Galactus!!! I totally and wholeheartedly agree with what you’re saying, here, especially when it comes to other posters’ right to continue to freely express their views on not only this particular topic/subject matter, but to do so on various different kinds of topics and subject matter of personal interest, as they pertain to Michael. You make a lot of sense, in what you say as well.

While some people have the view that Michael looked “feminine” from “Thriller” onwards —— for the rest of his life, since that point —— others have the opinion that he looked (and even behaved, if you will) “androgynous,” in a manner that still doesn’t necessarily “conform” to ancient, long-ago, outdated and old-fashioned stereotypes of what Male adults (of ANY age past the Early- and Mid-teen years, from about 18 to 25 towards the rest of their lives, however long that time-period may be) are “supposed to” look like —— (such natural physical aspects as one’s head of hair and the way one decides to wear it, the eyes, height, weight, body-build/physique, facial features, whether or not to let facial hair grow or be clean-shaven, and so on) —— the way their natural speaking- and/or singing-voices “ought to” sound, the manner in which they “should” dress (what one either is or is not “supposed to” wear), and what have you.

Last edited:
Glad to see that the posts and thread are still up, as it has been a long while since posting anything here. Keep it going, folks!!!

this thread is hilarious! .... Michael .... feminine ROTFL :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Those people need to see HIStory tour :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@GGVVGGCC22331122, it is not what some people have always wanted to believe about him.

People very close to him confirmed that Michael Jackson faked the sound of his high voice when he spoke on public occasions.

Liza Minnelli, Teddy Riley, Spike Lee are just 3 names that come to mind who stated that Michael Jackson's real voice (during private phone conversations, etc) was deep.

Michael Jackson himself also stated to his spiritual advisor Rabbi Shmuley Boteach that he faked the sound of his high voice when he was accepting all these Grammy Awards at the 26th Grammy Awards Ceremony in 1984.

@Hiker, but it is the HIStory Tour and the HIStory era in general when Michael Jackson had his most feminine look.

About his androgynous look and image, analysts also have remarked that Michael Jackson embodies the fantasy of being and having everything and that he embodies someone who seems to live out that ambisexual fantasy.

Back