Don't Walk Away is a beautiful song

I'd actually rather listen to Martin Bashir and Diane Diamond sing a dubstep dancefloor filler cover I Just Can't Stop Loving You than any of those Cascio noises.

I laughed way too much at this, Anyway, lol. I quite like DWA. It's a nice song, Haven't listened to it in ages though.

I agree, I like this song more than most on Invincible. It reminds me of the early Jacksons period for some reason. Its just so stripped back and sounds like it could have been lifted off The Jacksons or Goin Places.

Exactly: it reminds me of something like "Time waits for no one" or "Push me away" : a real composition with a beautiful melody, a non-gimmicky, heartfelt vocal performance and tasteful, effective production. One of the only songs I like off Invincible.

The only thing I don't like about Don't Walk Away is the super-compressed guitar - no depth. That's it. Otherwise it is lovely and a beautiful song.

The only thing I don't like about Don't Walk Away is the super-compressed guitar - no depth. That's it. Otherwise it is lovely and a beautiful song.

The whole album was super compressed now that I think about it. They should reissue a remastered Invincible.

The whole album was super compressed now that I think about it. They should reissue a remastered Invincible.

yaasssssss

Now THAT is an Estate project I would probably not cringe at!

And we can get our dream tracklist...one can only hope.

Invincible 15 next year anyone...?! Anyone!? Bueller?!

They won't touch it until at least 2021 but still.

Themidwestcowboy;4104026 said:

‘Invincible’ is not (super) compressed in its entirety.

Also, note when parts on an album have already undergone compression then it is impossible for them to come back to their original condition through any process, let alone remastering.

This is because of the fact that when compression takes place then all the details are irretrievably gone for ever.

mj_frenzy;4104054 said:
‘Invincible’ is not (super) compressed in its entirety.

Also, note when parts on an album have already undergone compression then it is impossible for them to come back to their original condition through any process, let alone remastering.

This is because of the fact that when compression takes place then all the details are irretrievably gone for ever.

Well if using the original uncompressed files for the remaster it would probably sound so much better, If they didn't brickwall it, Which they probably would.

I lovelovelovoooove Don't walk away. His vocals get me every time.

Those Bashir and co examples in here made me laugh though haha.

Well if using the original uncompressed files for the remaster it would probably sound so much better, If they didn't brickwall it, Which they probably would.

For me, remastering is a lame excuse in order for some people to gain pecuniary profits from consumers.

This is the reason why, for the most part, remastered editions are focused squarely on loudness, because that aspect (only) seems to matter when it comes down to the average listener. From a marketing perspective, it makes (a lot of) sense.

So, I doubt that their intention is to take advantage of the original, uncompressed masters.

For me, remastering is a lame excuse in order for some people to gain pecuniary profits from consumers.

This is the reason why, for the most part, remastered editions are focused squarely on loudness, because that aspect (only) seems to matter when it comes down to the average listener. From a marketing perspective, it makes (a lot of) sense.

So, I doubt that their intention is to take advantage of the original, uncompressed masters.

I definitely agree, sound quality is very low on priorities these days it seems.

I definitely think it's one of the best tracks on Invincible.

Still, I feel it would have been much better if "Fall Again" was completed and took its place.

A lovely song. I hear it a lot.

It's on my "Quiet MJ" playlist :)

Still, I feel it would have been much better if "Fall Again" was completed and took its place.

Ughhhh all the truly amazing songs that never made it. Invincible would have been worth the wait if Fall Again, In the Back, STTR, Xscape etc etc were all on it. That's probably way closer to the project Michael may have envisioned more than the product that was released. D:

Fall Again and In the Back would have also been great interlude music for shows, but that's a whole other thread

MAQ;4101122 said:
One of the songs I listened to repeatedly during my earlier teens, during breakups lol (still love it - just listen to it less because it's depressing and reminds me of some sad things xD). This and You Are Not Alone hold a special place in my heart :p . Invincible was gold.

‘Don’t Walk Away’ & ‘You Are Not Alone’ are similar in more than one ways & I am really glad that you address it.

Both of them depict MJ in a very (emotionally) vulnerable & weak position, pleading (probably in vain) with a trembling voice for some love attention/response.

Personally, I have always regarded them as really sad confessions & this despondency (that is being conveyed through these specific vocals/lyrics) is exactly the beauty of these two songs.

Ughhhh all the truly amazing songs that never made it. Invincible would have been worth the wait if Fall Again, In the BackSTTR, Xscape etc etc were all on it. That's probably way closer to the project Michael may have envisioned more than the product that was released. D:

Fall Again and In the Back would have also been great interlude music for shows, but that's a whole other thread

In the back was an outtake from HIStory and STTR from Dangerous and none of these songs were ever considered for Invincible. But I agree, had In the Back been on Vince it would have elevated that album

I would have replaced ''Cry'' with ''Fall Again''

I would have replaced ''Cry'' with ''Fall Again''

I would've taken out Heaven Can Wait and added Fall Again. Cry could be replaced by Shout (even though I love Cry, the lyrics are very egotistic imo).

In the back was an outtake from HIStory and STTR from Dangerous and none of these songs were ever considered for Invincible. But I agree, had In the Back been on Vince it would have elevated that album

....ES was written in 1989 and skipped over for an album before getting to HIStory, Little Susie was written in 1979 and untouched for fifteen years. Regardless of which session they came out of or which album they were originally written for, I don't think you can really say the thought never crossed his mind for whatever. So... yeah.

....ES was written in 1989 and skipped over for an album before getting to HIStory, Little Susie was written in 1979 and untouched for fifteen years. Regardless of which session they came out of or which album they were originally written for, I don't think you can really say the thought never crossed his mind for whatever. So... yeah.

You are absolutely right, that was MJ's usual M.O, he always like to revisit songs and concepts but an important detail to remember is that Earth Song and Little susie was worked on, (Little Susie was completely rerecorded and rearranged), in 1994 specifically for inclusion on HIStory. STTR and In The Back was never worked or reworked for Invincible. If we go by that logic then we can say every unreleased MJ song was considered for Invincible. Obviously I can't possibly know what crossed his mind or what didn't but I'm just extrapolating.

Cheater on the other hand is a different case. It was reworked specifically for Invincible with a added rap part by fats.

Cheater on the other hand is a different case. It was reworked specifically for Invincible with a added rap part by fats.

Is there actually any proof of this or is it just a rumour? The only thing I've seen is Darkchild saying MJ let him hear it. Nothing about actually reworking it.

rZU7F.gif
Prince :D

‘Don’t Walk Away’ & ‘You Are Not Alone’ are similar in more than one ways & I am really glad that you address it.

Both of them depict MJ in a very (emotionally) vulnerable & weak position, pleading (probably in vain) with a trembling voice for some love attention/response.

Personally, I have always regarded them as really sad confessions & this despondency (that is being conveyed through these specific vocals/lyrics) is exactly the beauty of these two songs.
Hm, interesting. YANA doesn't really move me all that much and I can't say I've really heard the 'trembling' voice in it. Also not sure about him being in a weak and vulnerable position in the song. Is he? Pretty much never listen to it but think I'm gonna give it another go, pause and reflect. Maybe I've forgotten the details, it is a really long time since I listened to it.

DWA, I adore. Just love it so much. Definitely can hear the trembling voice in this one and, yes, 'really sad confession' just about sums it up. So moving. Sometimes when Michael does an emotional song he gets it slightly wrong, imo. He'll go a bit too far with the 'trembling' voice thing. I'm thinking of 'She's out of my life' and 'You were there' (although with that one I think there were mitigating circumstances and, of course, it's not a 'heartbreak' song, as such). But DWA is perfectly judged. Just beautiful. Fabulous example of Michael making a song so much his own it's impossible to remember that someone else wrote it. He does that a lot. Some people complain about him recording songs written by other people. Always find that hard to understand.

Also yes to the 'despondency' in his vocals in DWA. Of course, there's resignation in the actual lyrics but also, as you say, in his voice as he sings. I think 'sad despondency' sums it up a bit better, maybe, than 'heartbreak'.

Don't Walk Away is a really beautiful song. It is a modern version of She's Out of My Life. Michael's vocals are beautiful and convey the emotions of vulnerability and sadness very well. DWA has always been one of my favourites from Invincible. I love it.

Love it too, but the song always makes me cry. More than sadness, I think it expresses conflicting emotions. We don't know where we are going, I have to let you go - that's the right thing to do ... but still I don't want to walk away. I will never forget you .... even though I have to let you go. That is a classic relationship conflict, expresses so beautifully in a beautiful voice.

Back