Dr. Dre rejected working with MJ

I wish M could have worked with earl (DMX) would have been so good. Eve ,,,, Even Nelly .. and Chingy .. gosh we are going way back.

Well M did work with naughty By Nature though :love: 🏆 , Im going back even further now .

He's near a billionaire because of Beats headphones. Doing a track with Mike or Madonna wouldn't have made much of a difference in the long run.
Dr. Dre made a mistake not in terms of money, but in terms of missing the opportunity to become more famous.

Like Teddy Riley, who became more famous because of working with Michael Jackson.

Or, like Quincy Jones, who became more famous because of working with Michael Jackson.

Or, like William Orbit, who became more famous because of working with Madonna.

Dr. Dre made a mistake not in terms of money, but in terms of missing the opportunity to become more famous.

Like Teddy Riley, who became more famous because of working with Michael Jackson.

Or, like Quincy Jones, who became more famous because of working with Michael Jackson.

Or, like William Orbit, who became more famous because of working with Madonna.
Dre didn't need MJ to become more famous. The man is a legend. He is one of the most important people on the Rap industry among 2Pac, Eminem, BIGGIE etc.

Teddy was already well known in the USA before working with Mike. New Jack Swing was already several years old by the time Dangerous was released and the sound was on the way out. Teddy's group after Guy (Blackstreet) wasn't really New Jack Swing at all. Quincy Jones was getting a lot of work before he met Mike and not only with jazz artists. Getting known by the mainstream audience made no difference in that. Dr. Dre is well known because of World Class Wreckin' Cru, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc.

Dre didn't need MJ to become more famous. The man is a legend. He is one of the most important people on the Rap industry among 2Pac, Eminem, BIGGIE etc.
Teddy was already well known in the USA before working with Mike. New Jack Swing was already several years old by the time Dangerous was released and the sound was on the way out. Teddy's group after Guy (Blackstreet) wasn't really New Jack Swing at all. Quincy Jones was getting a lot of work before he met Mike and not only with jazz artists. Getting known by the mainstream audience made no difference in that. Dr. Dre is well known because of World Class Wreckin' Cru, NWA, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, etc.
Yeah but I think you guys are missing the point. It would have for sure been one of the greatest personal moments in their careers to have worked with one of the greatest artist in recording history. The guy who made thriller and changed many aspects of popular music forever. To many he was their musical hero growing up. Now that’s something you tell to your grand children around the dinner table at family reunions haha.

I also take issue with this line of thinking. What this basically means is that their notoriety had reached their ceiling, which is incorrect because you can always garner more attention and get more famous. We shouldn’t downplay MJ’s global mass appeal. Being apart of a MJ project would expose their music to a different demographic that they never would have been able to tap into. It could have potentially opened up more doors that we do not know about.

Last edited:
I am curious what kind of sound Dr Dre would have made with Michael, seeing as Michael rarely just took producers as they were, and always asked that they reimagine what they do. I don't think we would have got an MJ that is as 'hip hop' as we might expect, although obviously there would have been undertones of that.

I also take issue with this line of thinking. What this basically means is that their notoriety had reached their ceiling, which is incorrect because you can always garner more attention and get more famous. We shouldn’t downplay MJ’s global mass appeal. Being apart of a MJ project would expose their music to a different demographic that they never would have been able to tap into. It could have potentially opened up more doors that we do not know about.
I don't think producers in general want to be famous. Most aren't known by the general public. I think Bob Rock, Patrick Leonard, or Gamble & Huff can walk down the street and not get stopped by many people. The ones that do are usually the hip hop era beatmaker producers who appear in the music videos of their productions or put their voice on the records like Puff Daddy, Timbaland, DJ Khaled, Darkchild, etc. Quincy Jones never said on a track, "This is a Q joint". :ROFLMAO: Quincy wasn't in James Ingram music videos. He did appear in the music video of Jerk Out by The Time, but Quincy had nothing to do with the song otherwise. Quincy didn't get hired by the movie studio that made The Color Purple movie because he produced Michael Jackson records. Quincy was behind the creation of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air too.

I remember there were rumours at one point of Michael Jackson working with Murda Inc (if you remember them, Ashanti, Ja Rule, Irv Gotti)

Back