Egypt

janena

Guests
I am suprised that there isnt a topic about whats happening there already...

My thoughts are with the people of Egypt...
I will keep them in my prayers and hope this will turn out okay for them and the rest of this world...

It kinda bothers me that its not really big news over here in Europe and probably the US...
I Think this is really really important!

I wonder why there is little interest in this news by the general public here...

Any thoughts?

egypte_02.jpg

egypte_60.jpg

egypte_93.jpg

First Tunisia and now Egypt.. I think in about 10 years there would be no dictatorial regimes left in the world... Revolution is always the first step towards democracy... I was watching the footage on the news today and immediately felt the urge to listen to "They don't care about us"...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OTRzpKI5iMI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OTRzpKI5iMI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is big news of course. It could change many things in the middle east and the world.
If Mubarak falls, the replacement wont be better, especially if the Muslim Brotherhood will take over. Things could be similar to Iran in 1979, when the got rid of the Shah of Iran who was also a dictator for many but what they got instead? much worse, the ayatollahs and the Islamic Revolution. The west lost a big ally and betrayed the Shah who had great relations with the US & Israel. Seems like Obama has his Carter’s moment these days, he goes against Mubarak and again, the west can lose their biggest ally in the Arab world, which is extremely critical. I read in the morning an article on the Daily Telegraph that the US helped the protesters and planned this long time ago..I don’t know if its true. It seems like the west still doesn’t understand the rules of the game in the middle east, Egypt is not America, Iraq is not America. Some countries can’t live in democracy, its hard to understand that if you live in western countries but that’s the way things are. And besides, America has enough problems of its own, Obama needs to focus on his country and not others. He can cause only damage.
Iran btw, says also that Egypt learned from the Islamic revolution, now they are hoping that other countries will be swept away with the same idea..Yemen and Jordan can be the next.

One of Egypt biggest problems is the rapid growth. 95% of Egypt is desert. 99% of the population uses only about 5.5% of the total land area. So you can imagine the crowdedness in the big cities. Population : 80 millions.
As a neighbor I wish only the best for Egypt, hope it will not end up like Iran..you can be sure many Egyptians have the same fear. Egypt is a beautiful country with rich history and culture. Sad to see the Egyptian Museum being the destroyed by looters. they rip heads off 2 mummies.

Btw, Mubarak is not gone yet, it will not be so easy to get rid of him. As long as the Egyptian army forces stand by him, he’s safe. And a few thousands protesters in a city of 4 million is not a lot.

Last edited:
I am watching the news around the world and I believe something important is going on.
I feel the people are waking up. Sadly..there will be casualities.
It is time for changes.
I am glad people are aware that they don"t have to be poor or hungry because of their govermants.
Situation in my country is also awfull. Endless number of ppl are loosing their jobs every day and nobody cares. It is time to change this world.
I love Egypt. I hope I will visit it some day.

I am glad people are aware that they don"t have to be poor or hungry because of their govermants.
Situation in my country is also awfull. Endless number of ppl are loosing their jobs every day and nobody cares. It is time to change this world..

A new government wont necessarily change a lot of the situation and can possibly make things worse. Things are much more complicated in Egypt. And with all due respect, you cant compare a European country to Egypt..its not the same, things are much worse there. The protesters don't even say who they want instead of Mubarak, they don't have a better alternative.

^^^^You are right in some points. Politicians are just corrupted and care only about themselves..there is no difference..in Europe or any other country in the world.
I am just saying that people have the power to change who is a leader of their country, if not in any other way..then on a election day.
I heard Mubarak ran away to London. True ?

These are confusing times for some Arabic regions. My morning paper mentioned protests in Algeria, Jemen and Jordan as well.

Egypt is very corrupted. Hopefully El Baradei or someone like him will be elected after Mubarak has left. I think it's inevitable that he will leave. This looting and anarchy can't last much longer. I hope the people and their national treasures will be safe.

Politicians are just corrupted and care only about themselves..there is no difference..in Europe or any other country in the world.

That is correct but in countries like Egypt there is much more to worry about. See my comment above about Egypt & Iran. Its not a democratic country and there is a high possibility that if Mubarak falls, it will be similar to Iran.

I heard Mubarak ran away to London. True ?

No, its not true. His sons left to London but he's still in Egypt at the moment.

Hopefully El Baradei or someone like him will be elected after Mubarak has left.

Elbaradei is a puppet of Iran. No, this will be horrible for Egypt.

That is correct but in countries like Egypt there is much more to worry about. See my comment above about Egypt & Iran. Its not a democratic country and there is a high possibility that if Mubarak falls, it will be similar to Iran.

I wonder if that will be the case. With examples like Iran around, the public won't be so eager to embrace an Islamic regime. When a Christian church was bombed by extremists just last month, the muslim community in Egypt showed their respects and helped out as much as they could to support the victims. It did the opposite of what the extremists wanted(causing divide, instead it brought people together). Also past behaviour by neighbouring countries' extremists, e.g. Morocco and Algeria, are not appreciated by the vast majority of the population.

That's not a fact at all. He did however win the Nobel Peace Price for his efforts to reduce atomic weapons. And he's a supporter of democracy.

LOL people are so naive its scary. He won a noble peace prize, so what? Yasser Arafat also won a noble peace prize and he was a terrorist. Elbaradei gave Iran a free pass all these years. Egypt, like Lebanon, Syria will be another country sponsored by Iran.

Last edited:
^ Do you happen to be from Israel? I ask because you just mentioned the top 5 enemy list for this country (if Palestina is counted). I won't get into this sensitive matter, because it's way too complicated, but I do know that all countries in this region seem hold their own truths about this matter.

Last edited:
^^ Yes, I'm from Israel. You're right about that, its too complicated.
And btw, some of these countries are not only 'enemies' with Israel. :)

Last edited:
Well, back to Egypt then. I think we do agree that the Egyptian people deserve a fair democratic regime that invests in its people instead of in themselves (dictators that is). Of course, the influence on the region should be considered, but no country should just have strategic dictators that suit other countries agendas, but do hardly anything for their own people.

I do worry aout the outcome of this...

I hope it will be better for the people of Egypt, for the region and for the world..
But chances are that it will become worse.

The good thing is that these demonstations are demonstrations of ALL kinds of people, christians,muslim, poor, less-poor, men, women, etc...
These people deserve a better life in their country and i think they are very brave.
I hope their braveness will be rewarded, it is very painful to see that people are being murdered by their own government now...

A dutch friend of mine wrote something that is sad and very true :

Unfortunately the fight for freedom dresses in red.

Roosje;3220346 said:
Well, back to Egypt then. I think we do agree that the Egyptian people deserve a fair democratic regime that invests in its people instead of in themselves (dictators that is). Of course, the influence on the region should be considered, but no country should just have strategic dictators that suit other countries agendas, but do hardly anything for their own people.

I never said that, however, I think its natural to think in favour of your own country. Israel has a peace treaty with Egypt for 32 years, cold peace but still, better than nothing.
but I&#8217;m not talking only about Israel, it can cause problems for the west, especially for America as well. Egypt has been an important ally in the Arab world for the west for many years. Now they will create another enemy instead. In the end, they will lose every ally in the Muslim/Arab world.
Lets say Mubarak falls, who will replace him? As I said, there is no better alternative. Since Saadat has been assassinated by extremists, things got worse. And Anwar Saadat was a brave leader. Even though we had wars during his rule, he was brave enough to come to Israel and make peace. One of the reasons he got murdered by the muslim brotherhood btw, they want to replace Mubarak and support elbaradei..just to make clear with who we are dealing here. And who said Egypt will become a democratic country? who said the majority wants a change? (when they know they don't have a better alternative) 80 million people live in Egypt, don't forget. I talked with Egyptians, both Muslim & Christian and they are really worried that Egypt will be controlled by extremists, who are using the bad condition of the Egyptian people to promote their agenda..they make them believe things will be better, in face, they can be much worse. I REALLY want to be wrong. but I live in the middle east, I know 'a little' how things can develop here.

Last edited:
LoveMJackson;3220460 said:
I never said that, however, I think its natural to think in favour of your own country. Israel has a peace treaty with Egypt for 32 years, cold peace but still, better than nothing.
but I’m not talking only about Israel, it can cause problems for the west, especially for America as well. Egypt has been an important ally in the Arab world for the west for many years. Now they will create another enemy instead. In the end, they will lose every ally in the Muslim/Arab world.
Lets say Mubarak falls, who will replace him? As I said, there is no better alternative. Since Saadat has been assassinated by extremists, things got worse. And Anwar Saadat was a brave leader. Even though we had wars during his rule, he was brave enough to come to Israel and make peace. One of the reasons he got murdered by the muslim brotherhood btw, they want to replace Mubarak and support elbaradei..just to make clear with who we are dealing here. And who said Egypt will become a democratic country? who said the majority wants a change? (when they know they don't have a better alternative) 80 million people live in Egypt, don't forget. I talked with Egyptians, both Muslim & Christian and they are really worried that Egypt will be controlled by extremists, who are using the bad condition of the Egyptian people to promote their agenda..they make them believe things will be better, in face, they can be much worse. I REALLY want to be wrong. but I live in the middle east, I know 'a little' how things can develop here.

I never said you said what I said... lol. I was just stating my opinion on the matter. That each country deserves leaders that have the best interest of their people at heart, which also means keeping your calm in the region. Because who wants conflict or war? I know that education in Egypt is really corrupted (for example children will have to pay their teachers extra is they want something explained) and of bad quality for the average Egyptian. To keep your people deliberately dumb and poor is never a good idea. It makes a breeding ground for extremism. If only something like education could be changed for the better the mindset of people about regional conflicts could also change. Much hate comes from lack of knowledge. I do think that extremists will win less and less ground as the internet opens up information to a growing number of people. This is how these protests started out and are organised after all. Although the internet can be used to suit extremists agendas, I think it will mostly show them for who they really are. There are hardly any good examples of thriving extremists who do good for their people (with exeption of Ghadaffi maybe, although he has become quite mellow over the years). I think we mostly agree, I'm just anoptimist. I can imagine that must be hard for the Israeli though. I can't imagine what it's like to have the feeling you're constantly under threat. However, I think America's politics in the Middle East and beyond are very hypocritical to say the least. Bush at first wanting to force democracy on Iraq, Afghanistan, but leaving Saoudi Arabia and other important oil states alone, while their regimes are not much better. So it wasn't about freedom after all? And now Obama was just cheering on the departure of Ben Ali but is deafening silent about Mubarak's situation, while in essence it's the same thing. America should stop being world cop. Their mingling (often in non-diplomatic ways) is not appreciated by a growing number of countries. I hope the Arab countries will have a movement similar as seen in some Latin American countries. Ever since America backed out, leaders like Lula and Morales have been able to do it their way. Not all of the Latin efforts and leaders are good ones, but the people are no longer oppressed by US funded dictators. That on itself is progress.

For the Egyptian people I hope Mubarak will eventually be replaced by an elected government that is wise and peaceful. You may call me naive but I think it's possible.

It kinda bothers me that its not really big news over here in Europe and probably the US...
its all over the news here. i tend to wacth al jazerrah (sp) alot and when it first started in tunisa it was on all the time but took weeks for the uk media to really report on it until the goverment was over thrown. great to see ppl taking to the streets and fighting for democracy etc. hopefully the army will turn against the president and he will have to go. all of this coming from the poor kid in tunis who killed himself. shame he cant see it

i find it laughable how u have all the hypocrites like obama and the other western countries. going on about democracy and invading countries to provide it yet have got all touchy on eygpt seeing as they are buddies with that dictator. htey have to hold their tongue when seeing whats going on. i guess for them its better the devil u know than the one u dont.

but I&#8217;m not talking only about Israel, it can cause problems for the west, especially for America as well. Egypt has been an important ally in the Arab world for the west for many years. Now they will create another enemy instead. In the end, they will lose every ally in the Muslim/Arab world.
yeah that is a big issue and why the west doesnt seem to know how to react.but it just shows the hypocrasy of the west aswell. u cant call for democracy and then cry when someone gets in who u dont like and try to undermine them. thats what democracy is.sometimes ppl who u dont like win elections. the west prefers the devil they know then the one they dont. but at the end of the day it should be the ppls right to elect who they want. a basic human right and what ppl are dieing for on the streets in cairo.

yeap exactly and said it so much easier than me lol.to many strings being pulled

What do you mean? It's on every news bulletin and on the frontpage of nearly all newspapers. People who don't know about these protests by now must be living under a rock. There is plenty of attention devoted to it imo.

Anyway, about the protests. On the one hand, I am glad to see the Egyptian (and Tunesian before this) population finally standing up against corruption and oppression and realizing their democratic rights. So in that sense, I do support them. However, I am worried about the future. Right now, the protesters, whether Christian, Muslim, poor or rich are united because they face a common enemy. But what will happen when the common enemy is gone and a new government has to be chosen? I'm afraid this will lead to more riots and - worst case scenario - even a civil war. For example, what fate will the significant minority of Christians in Egypt face when the Muslim Brotherhood seizes power? How do we know that the new regime isn't going to be worse than the current one? I hope it will all turn out well.

Yeah, Obama is a hypocrite alright.

I understand that the people of Egypt got tired of being ruled by a dictator and they want democracy, but people are literally now breaking free from prisons, lots of injuries and even deaths going on, that's plain madness that it has come to this anarchy and hostility. And war. At the end of the day, it's a war where people die. I wish a riot happened around here where I live, where people are sleeping while being mercilessly deprived of their rights by dictatorship, but to see blood and criminals escaping from their prisons, thus leading to a national chaos.... .... ... There's hardly any security left.

I don't know, hope for more order for Egypt, this world is a crazy place as it is....

LindayG, its getting better today (the dutch news coverage i mean) but these protests have been going on since tuesday and until today they'd only mention it in the news shortly...
I have to admit that i rely on television-news and internet-newssites solely...i dont really read printed newspapers so i cant talk about them.

Anyway, i think they start of the gulf war got much more attention back in the 90's....programmes were interrupted, etc....none of that is happening right now.

Roosje;3220655 said:
I never said you said what I said... lol. I was just stating my opinion on the matter. That each country deserves leaders that have the best interest of their people at heart, which also means keeping your calm in the region. Because who wants conflict or war? I know that education in Egypt is really corrupted (for example children will have to pay their teachers extra is they want something explained) and of bad quality for the average Egyptian. To keep your people deliberately dumb and poor is never a good idea. It makes a breeding ground for extremism. If only something like education could be changed for the better the mindset of people about regional conflicts could also change. Much hate comes from lack of knowledge. I do think that extremists will win less and less ground as the internet opens up information to a growing number of people. This is how these protests started out and are organised after all. Although the internet can be used to suit extremists agendas, I think it will mostly show them for who they really are. There are hardly any good examples of thriving extremists who do good for their people (with exeption of Ghadaffi maybe, although he has become quite mellow over the years). I think we mostly agree, I'm just anoptimist. I can imagine that must be hard for the Israeli though. I can't imagine what it's like to have the feeling you're constantly under threat. However, I think America's politics in the Middle East and beyond are very hypocritical to say the least. Bush at first wanting to force democracy on Iraq, Afghanistan, but leaving Saoudi Arabia and other important oil states alone, while their regimes are not much better. So it wasn't about freedom after all? And now Obama was just cheering on the departure of Ben Ali but is deafening silent about Mubarak's situation, while in essence it's the same thing. America should stop being world cop. Their mingling (often in non-diplomatic ways) is not appreciated by a growing number of countries. I hope the Arab countries will have a movement similar as seen in some Latin American countries. Ever since America backed out, leaders like Lula and Morales have been able to do it their way. Not all of the Latin efforts and leaders are good ones, but the people are no longer oppressed by US funded dictators. That on itself is progress.

For the Egyptian people I hope Mubarak will eventually be replaced by an elected government that is wise and peaceful. You may call me naive but I think it's possible.

lol I understand, my bad.
I agree with most of your post. Its good to be optimist but you have be prepared for another scenario, much less positive..anything is possible. You’re right, a good education is the key but also enough with the brainwashing and propaganda, that’s the main problem. I agree about America, apparently they didn’t learn anything from Iraq , Afghanistan and Iran. They dont understand how things are running in the middle east, they cant shove their policy by force to other countries. It will only make things worse. Not every Islamic country is ready to become democratic and not everyone in these countries wants that. Egypt has been under dictatorship for over 30 years, they forgot what democracy is. Mubarak falls, it doesn’t mean Egypt will suddenly be free and democratic and the problems will go away. The US has enough problems inside, Obama needs to focus on that and stay away from other countries issues.

elusive moonwalker;3220880 said:
yeah that is a big issue and why the west doesnt seem to know how to react.but it just shows the hypocrasy of the west aswell. u cant call for democracy and then cry when someone gets in who u dont like and try to undermine them. thats what democracy is.sometimes ppl who u dont like win elections. the west prefers the devil they know then the one they dont. but at the end of the day it should be the ppls right to elect who they want. a basic human right and what ppl are dieing for on the streets in cairo.

They can pretend to be democratic and then fake the election results, like in Iran, Syria.

Now I want to see a revolution in Iran. Things can only get better there. The majority of the Iranian people are well educated and really want to be free and to live normally. The regime doesn’t represent the people. I believe they are ready for a change. Things are so bad there that it can get only better.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about Egypt, it is in a serious problem. Right now everyone wants Mubarak’s head but what they will do after he falls?

elusive moonwalker;3220871 said:
its all over the news here. i tend to wacth al jazerrah (sp) alot

Al Jazeera is a propaganda channel. Not saying that the western media is better cuz they change their opinion every minute..no one really knows what’s going to happen, things going crazy there. but do you know what they reported? that Mubarak is planning to escape to Tel Aviv..come on.lol Al Jazeera is a big problem, I believe they had hand in this mess. It was the Palestine Papers, Tunis, now Egypt. Like they want to create chaos in the Arab/ Muslim world.

Alma;3221007 said:
Yeah, Obama is a hypocrite alright.

I understand that the people of Egypt got tired of being ruled by a dictator and they want democracy, but people are literally now breaking free from prisons, lots of injuries and even deaths going on, that's plain madness that it has come to this anarchy and hostility. And war. At the end of the day, it's a war where people die. I wish a riot happened around here where I live, where people are sleeping while being mercilessly deprived of their rights by dictatorship, but to see blood and criminals escaping from their prisons, thus leading to a national chaos.... .... ... There's hardly any security left.

I don't know, hope for more order for Egypt, this world is a crazy place as it is....

Egypt is in anarchy now. The thing is, there are people who take advantage of the situation to steal money and property and destroy everything. People have to stand with knives and other weapon to protect their houses and property because looters are breaking in. They already broke to the Egyptian museum in Cairo and destroyed important things. Some say it was planned also. the army is watching

Egypt is a country so beautiful and so rich in culture. I've always been fascinated by the history of this country.

It is very sad what is happening... :( I'll pray it will be resolved peacefully. :angel:

A dutch friend of mine wrote something that is sad and very true :

Unfortunately the fight for freedom dresses in red.

Sad... :(

Al Jazeera is a propaganda channel.
the arabic version maybe but for the english speaking version isnt.. fox news is what u call a propaganda channel or the even tackier press t.v which i watch with amusement sometime.

They can pretend to be democratic and then fake the election results, like in Iran, Syria.
and bush lol the bottom line western countries only care about dictators when they are supportive of the west. like an ex american president supposedly said. he may be a son of a bitch but hes my son of a bitch. u cant cry about democracy and then complain when someone u dont like gets in and then fund ppl who want to over throw them like the USA has done for decades or claim a vote was rigged cause the ppl u dont like got in. u cant say in one breath not everyone in eygpt wants the pres out then in the next breath say everyone in iran wants there pres out. u are saying what u want.to happen. bottom line u would prefer a usa backed dictator to be in power cause of the issues with your country. thats good for you but what about the ppl in eygpt dont they deserve to live in a democracy

Last edited:
Back