Ellen DeGeneres to present Janet with GLAAD Award

IvanaIloveMJ

Proud Member
Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) announced through a press release that talk show host Ellen DeGeneres will present Janet with the previously announced Vanguard Award at a ceremony to be held later this month.

"We are delighted to honor Janet Jackson at the 19th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles as such a visible, welcoming and inclusive ally of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community," said GLAAD President Neil G. Giuliano. "Ms. Jackson has a tremendous following inside the LGBT community and out, and having her stand with us against the defamation that LGBT people still face in our country is extremely significant."

Giuliano added, "We are also thrilled that Ellen DeGeneres, a former GLAAD Media Award honoree, will present the Vanguard Award to Ms. Jackson. Any time a media legend like Ms. DeGeneres wants to share in our celebration of fair, accurate and inclusive media representation, we are honored to have her."

"I have received a number of awards throughout my career but I am so proud to be receiving the Vanguard Award from GLAAD," said Jackson. "Since it's inception in 1985, GLAAD has taken the lead in making sure that people will no longer be judged by their gender identity or sexual orientation. I applaud them for their continued work and thank them for this honor from the bottom of my heart."

The Vanguard Award is presented to media professionals who, through their work, have increased the visibility and understanding of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Past recipients include Charlize Theron, Antonio Banderas, Eric McCormack, Elizabeth Taylor, Liza Minnelli and Whoopi Goldberg.

Janet Jackson has been a long-time ally of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. In 1997, the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum applauded her use of sexual orientation themes in her top-selling album, The Velvet Rope, which received the award for Outstanding Music Album at the 9th Annual GLAAD Media Awards. Jackson has also been awarded for her work with AIDS activism by the AIDS Project Los Angeles and the Human Rights Campaign.

The ceremony will be held on Saturday, April 26 at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles. Portions of the ceremony, which is one of four to be held across the country, will air at a later date on Bravo.

source: janet xone

Good for Janet! I find it cute that Janet says 'I thank them from the bottom of my heart' just like MJ does. lol

And I like Ellen. She seems like a fun person. I just like her humor. And she's a good dancer too. lol Nice that she's the presenter.

(o/t, but did anyone ever see her old tv comedy, Ellen? I really liked that show.)

Wow, that's cool! janet definitely deserves the award

eighthnoterojo said:
And I like Ellen. She seems like a fun person. I just like her humor. And she's a good dancer too. lol Nice that she's the presenter.

yeah, Ellen does seem really nice. I loved one of her interviews with Janet. I don't know when it was from, but it was the one when Janet was doing the ab-roller, and then Ellen attempted to do it too lol :) does anyone else know what interview I'm talking about?

Last edited:
I just love Ellen DeGeneres!! This is so great...I am so glad Janet did this...and will accept this award....both of them BLESS YOU!

yeah, Ellen does seem really nice. I loved one of her interviews with Janet. I don't know when it was from, but it was the one when Janet was doing the ab-roller, and then Ellen attempted to do it too lol :) does anyone else know what interview I'm talking about?
I think I caught the opening of that show; Ellen danced to Janet's music?...

Didn't catch the rest of it though, sorry.

Ellen is so funny.. Her stand up is great... she just has a natural humour gift.

Great for Janet.. She deserves it

Back