Excerpt from Al Sharpton’s book: Michael at the James Brown memorial service

Sunwalker7

Proud Member
Al Sharpton tells how he found out he lost his father figure: 'James Brown, your dad, is dead. You’re not having a nightmare. He’s gone'

In new book, shares how Michael Jackson re-combed Godfather of Soul's hair in the funeral home

When he was just a teenager, Alfred Sharpton was invited out on the road with the Godfather of Soul, James Brown. The young preacher styled his hair after Brown, and shortened his name to Al at Brown’s advice. Brown became his surrogate dad. In these excerpts from his new book, “The Rejected Stone,” Sharpton describes losing that father figure — and dealing with a surprise guest at his funeral.

BY REVEREND AL SHARPTON

---
At three in the morning, while I was asleep in an Augusta hotel room, my phone rang, another wee-hour summoning to jar me from my dreams. This time it was the mortician, Charlie Reid.

“Rev. Sharpton?” he said, his deep Southern accent slowly oozing through my phone.
“Yeah, Mr. Reid. Please don’t tell me something’s wrong now. We done got through the worst of it,” I said.
“Nah, nothing’s wrong, Rev. Sharpton,” he said. “I just wanted you to give me authorization. I just got a call from Michael Jackson.”
I could still hear the wonder in his voice.
“He’s in town and he wants to come by the funeral home and see the body,” he said.
“Michael Jackson? But Michael is in Bahrain.”
“Nah, he’s here. He wants to come by and see Mr. Brown,” Mr. Reid said. “I didn’t want to wake the girls up.”
I was shaking my head, shocked again by one of Michael’s moves. “Yeah, he’s authorized. But tell Michael to call me.”
“All right, I will, Rev. Sharpton.”
I sat there waiting, not able to get back to sleep. An hour passed with no call. An hour and a half. So I called back Mr. Reid.
“Mr. Reid, did Michael come?”
“Yeah, he came,” Mr. Reid said. “He sat here a whole hour. He told me I combed James’s hair wrong. He took a comb and he recombed it.”
“Wait a minute — he recombed the hair?”
“Yeah, he redid it,” Mr. Reed said. “Said I did it wrong. He sat here with the body for an hour.”
“Did you tell him to call me?”
“Yeah, he said he was going to call you.”
So I called Michael myself and told him he shouldn’t leave. I knew Michael well — he’d come and sit with the body and then get out of town.
“One day you’re going to have to reappear in public,” I told him.
He had not been in the States and had not been seen in public since the trial, which had ended a year and a half earlier.
“What better time to do it? You came to show your respect to your idol,” I continued.
“I’ll think about it,” he said and hung up.

Word got out that Michael had been in town, but everyone assumed he was gone. However, the next day, halfway through the funeral at the James Brown Arena, Michael walked in. He came over and sat next to me and the family. The band broke into a memorial tribute to James, playing some of his biggest songs. The band members started motioning for Michael to come join them on the stage.
“Sit there — don’t go,” I said into Michael’s ear.
“What do you mean?” he asked me.
“Don’t move,” I said.
“Why not?”
“Because you don’t want the first time you come back and are in public and the picture everybody sees is you on the stage boogying and dancing and moonwalking. You came to mourn James. Don’t get up there with the band.”
“OK,” he said, nodding his head. “But I want to see the body one more time.”
So we stood up and walked over to the casket. The family all gathered around. Michael leaned over and gave James a tender kiss, saying his final good-bye.

When I got up to do the eulogy, I talked in the beginning about Michael, how much he looked up to James and the standard of music they had created. Then I asked Michael to say a few words. This was the statement that went around the world, Michael’s reintroduction to the public.

“James Brown is my greatest inspiration,” Michael said. “Ever since I was a small child, no more than six years old, my mother would wake me no matter what time it was, if I was sleeping, no matter what I was doing, to watch the television to see the master at work. And when I saw him move, I was mesmerized. I never saw a performer perform like James Brown. And right then and there, I knew that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, because of James Brown. James Brown, I shall miss you, and I love you so much and thank you for everything.”

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/al-sharpton-book-excerpts-article-1.1468720#ixzz2gtLVFGO0

That was so nice what Michael did fixing his hair. I am glad he stayed for the funeral. I wonder if Michael knew that people felt the same way about him like he did for James.

If someone knows more about this please tell. I take it as one more person but not Michael making the brilliant decision. He tells Michael to stay, he tells Michael to not go on stage, and he allows Michael a few words. I am not sure what to believe. Everyone always takes credit when things work out on a positive note. I am not saying the story is not true but I am cynical of people when Michael is concerned.

Telling The King what to do that way? I'm skeptical on that part.

Michael truly loved and respected James Brown, if he did comb James' hair, that was sweet indeed. I remember him kissing his forehead, that was also a moving moment.

Living in NYC, i am quite familar with the ubiquitous Rev AL. And immediately chuckle about the Rev as usual rushing to take credit.

Last edited:
Sunwalker7;3914323 said:
“James Brown is my greatest inspiration,” Michael said. “Ever since I was a small child, no more than six years old, my mother would wake me no matter what time it was, if I was sleeping, no matter what I was doing, to watch the television to see the master at work. And when I saw him move, I was mesmerized. I never saw a performer perform like James Brown. And right then and there, I knew that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, because of James Brown. James Brown, I shall miss you, and I love you so much and thank you for everything.”

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/al-sharpton-book-excerpts-article-1.1468720#ixzz2gtLVFGO0

:cry: *big sigh*

I have to say the part about Michael saying the hair was combed wrong is just hilarious.

Sunwalker7;3914323 said:

This is so very special. Thanks for sharing. :flowers:

Michael Jackson speech at James Brown funeral

This video also confirms the story of Michael visiting the funeral home and fixing James Brown's hair in the coffin.

Alicat Thanks for the video. Michael looks as thin as in TII there. This must have been an emotional moment for him.

But that was December 29, 2006. Michael came from Ireland or he was in the States already. He didn't come from Bahrein and it wasn't his "reintroduction to the public" because that was after World Music Awards in London 2006, that Guinness world records thing and will.i.am interview.

med_gallery_15_684_813928.jpg
med_gallery_747_180081.jpg

med_gallery_15_684_4659114.jpg

med_gallery_747_248543.jpg
med_gallery_66_684252.jpg

But that was December 29, 2006. Michael came from Ireland or he was in the States already. He didn't come from Bahrein and it wasn't his "reintroduction to the public" because that was after World Music Awards in London 2006, that Guinness world records thing and will.i.am interview.

Maybe Al Sharpton never knew any better. It's kind of like the first to scoop a story. Michael did fly to Las Vegas, December 23, 2006 and spent Christmas in the house he rented for 6 month's. Ireland was where Billy Bush flew to to interview Will I Am and Michael Jackson working together, because of "Thriller 25."

James Brown died on Christmas Day.

It was nice to see Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton being protective of Michael Jackson!
img_1020570_23734991_4

it is a very nice story, Michael really looked up to James Brown and he knew how to honor his idol...

Wow great read thank you

Alicat thanks for posting the vid

I love his hair during this era (2006-2007).

^^Most people who got to meet Michael and/or working for him have wanted to take credit for his brilliant moves, so it's rather predictable but cynical nonetheless. :shifty:

The band broke into a memorial tribute to James, playing some of his biggest songs. The band members started motioning for Michael to come join them on the stage.
“Sit there — don’t go,” I said into Michael’s ear.
“What do you mean?” he asked me.
“Don’t move,” I said.
“Why not?”
“Because you don’t want the first time you come back and are in public and the picture everybody sees is you on the stage boogying and dancing and moonwalking. You came to mourn James. Don’t get up there with the band.”
“OK,” he said, nodding his head.
That was a wise advice cuz the media woulda had a field day nitpicking his every move.
I get the picture, they woulda portrayed him as a deranged, attention-seeking has-been, who don't even know how to act proper. Having said that, if he'd gotten up there and busted a move, that woulda been a proper tribute as well.

Lord, have'nt posted in awhile but had to when I saw this thread.

All I could think about while reading this story was, 'who could've thought that just a few years later that we would be all mourning MJ himself!"

Anyway, so nice to hear what MJ did for James. he truly cared.

That was a wise advice cuz the media woulda had a field day nitpicking his every move.
I get the picture, they woulda portrayed him as a deranged, attention-seeking has-been, who don't even know how to act proper. Having said that, if he'd gotten up there and busted a move, that woulda been a proper tribute as well.

I don't believe him how he told the whole story either way. James Brown's funeral wasn't the first time Michael appeared in public. He gave an interview when he was living in Ireland working with will.I.am in the studio. In November he received 6 or 7 Guinness World Records' Certificates and The Diamond Award at the World Music Awards. Obviously Al Sharpton partially didn't know what the hell he was talking about and some people here wrote how he rushes to take credit for what he didn't do because I don't believe Michael being able to be disrespectful and/or reckless in his mentor's funeral.

Living in NYC, i am quite familar with the ubiquitous Rev AL. And immediately chuckle about the Rev as usual rushing to take credit.
well, if Rev Al did it, he did it and he should get credit if he help do this. ALot of these go on behind close doors that we do not see.

I don't believe him how he told the whole story either way. James Brown's funeral wasn't the first time Michael appeared in public. He gave an interview when he was living in Ireland working with will.I.am in the studio. In November he received 6 or 7 Guinness World Records' Certificates and The Diamond Award at the World Music Awards. Obviously Al Sharpton partially didn't know what the hell he was talking about and some people here wrote how he rushes to take credit for what he didn't do because I don't believe Michael being able to be disrespectful and/or reckless in his mentor's funeral.
That is not the point. I believe Rev Al. LEts be real, when that funeral was shown, Hammer danced and some made the remarks that Hammer was trying to show out in front of MJ. James Brown daughter dances and some folks made the comment that was not right to at her father's funeral. Those were some of comments many made in 2006 after the funeral in the media. So, I agree if Rev Al told MJ not do go. MJ had just went through the trial and just came back to the United States and we know that some media outlets were ready to find fault. If Mj would have danced at that funeral, even if he would have been innocent to do because the family wanted him to do it, the media would have went crazy and FOCUSED all of what MJ did. MJ talking got attention but he was so good and graceous that the media could NOT say NOTHING. Rev Al told him right.

Back