Faceoff! Morphine vs State Of Shock

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Both heavy rock songs, both kinda lost in their respective albums. Which one do you prefer?

Morphine easily. I have never been too keen on State on Shock. Haven't heard it in ages while I listen to Morphine at least once a day.

Morphine. It's one of his best, because it's so raw, honest, and beautifully composed.

I never really cared for State of Shock all that much. I don't hate it, but I don't really seek it out to listen to it.

State Of Shock

I like State Of Shock better. It sounds like a Rolling Stones song to me. I still play it every so often, but like the 12" version over the one on the album. I remember taping the long version off the radio when it first came out. I haven't heard Morphine in years, forgot about it.

These two songs couldn't be any further apart really. One is a fun, breezy duet, the other is an almost shockingly autobiographical tale of a tortured soul.

I love both, but consider Morphine to be one of his all time greatest, so I have to go with that.

But I will say, State of Shock is much better than its given credit for.

Yeah it kinda depends on what mood you're in right? Like you said, state of shock is a lot better than people give it credit for.

Love both but i'ma have to go with Morphine since it has a deeper meaning and because it's longer.

Morphine - no question about it.

Morphine is great. So sad no one outside the fan community knows the song...

And now after MJ died - and the way he died - Morphine is even better. (or just more sad really)

The lyrics are so close to how he died - and his struggle with painkillers etc. - I would say it's just as autobiography (not sure that's the word??) as Childhood.

Childhood is the more innocent song - but Morphine is MJ telling about his problems - and really screaming for help..

Night and day really, so it's hard to compare or choose, but State of Shock has always had a high place for me since I first heard it in Moonwalker.

12 inch mix, Freddie Duet, it's all rocking and funky. I hope someday we hear the solo version Nick has the stems for.

Night and day really, so it's hard to compare or choose, but State of Shock has always had a high place for me since I first heard it in Moonwalker.

12 inch mix, Freddie Duet, it's all rocking and funky. I hope someday we hear the solo version Nick has the stems for.

Glad to see some love for State of Shock. Never heard the Freddie version, but I love the goofy tradeoffs between MJ and Jagger on the original.

Agree! And I also got into it via Moonwalker (that megamix got me into a lot of pre solo stuff!). The first half especially of SoS is brilliant, slightly too long and always got the impression that no one knew how to really end the song! But I love the exaggeration and emphasis of each singer's nuances and styles.

Glad to see some love for State of Shock. Never heard the Freddie version, but I love the goofy tradeoffs between MJ and Jagger on the original.

Will upload and send to you. Their voices work MAGICALLY together

"State of Shock" is just... boring to me. Never cared for it.

"Morphine" all the way.

Not sure how that guitar riff could be classed as boring.

Morphine, 2 reasons.. 1 the contrast between the soft and hard voice is pretty damn cool.. 2. State Of Shock is a very linear of a song there is more dimensions in Morphine.

John & Marvin

Has any other popstar before or since, ever released a song as blatantly exposing as Morphine in their careers? I really don't think so. Yes, plenty of artists have done autobiographical before, but tackling a subject as taboo as their struggles with drug addiction?

State of Shock is one of those songs where, if it had appeared on an MJ solo album instead of a Jacksons album, it would be a lot more popular in the fan community. Many songs from Destiny, Triumph and Victory are overlooked by the MJ fan community at large, and I can't help but wonder if some fans think he went from crooning Ben straight to Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, ignoring all the musical milestones in between that made albums like OTW and Thriller even possible.

This. There are asome absolute gems in the late Jackson 5 catalogue that I think would excite any fan of adult Michael. So many songs from the mid to late 70's that are severely overlooked. Musics Taking Over and Keep On Dancing being 2 of MJ's best vocals I think. It's like the Jacksons name puts a few of the "not so fanatical" fans off, but Jesus these albums are essential to me.

I actually always put State of Shock in any Playlist I make, one version or another. The 12" mix mostly.

Re: John & Marvin

And do you have to try to discredit everyone who says something positive about adult MJ? It seems that's all you ever do on this forum.
Where is this? I only responded to your comment because it's not true. I didn't reply to anyone else in this thread and they're positive comments. So how is that all I do here? I'm sure if you look at most threads in this section, there's not even any comments from me in them. I also said I liked State Of Shock better, which is him as an adult.

^^First you say adult Mike, now it's post-vitiligo. Still you haven't stated what the constant comments are. If I said it, then you should be able to pull up the threads where the comments are, and then you will have proven what you said.

Eminem is a modern pop star, and he has this track.

State of Shock is one of those songs where, if it had appeared on an MJ solo album instead of a Jacksons album, it would likely be a lot more popular in the fan community. Many songs from Destiny, Triumph and Victory are overlooked by the MJ fan community at large, and I can't help but wonder if some fans think he went from crooning Ben straight to Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, ignoring all the musical milestones in between that made albums like OTW and Thriller even possible.
I think it's sad too when fans choose to ignore the J5/Jacksons days

State of Shock is one of those songs where, if it had appeared on an MJ solo album instead of a Jacksons album, it would likely be a lot more popular in the fan community. Many songs from Destiny, Triumph and Victory are overlooked by the MJ fan community at large, and I can't help but wonder if some fans think he went from crooning Ben straight to Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, ignoring all the musical milestones in between that made albums like OTW and Thriller even possible.

Well even if SOS appeared on a MJ solo album, I still wouldn't like it. They are many songs that I like from Jacksons' albums with Epic Records but SOS just isn't one of them. I gave it a listen in the morning and I literally couldn't wait for it to finish. To me, it's a very boring song.

Totally.

Keep On Dancing is one of the funkiest songs MJ ever sung and was absolute dynamite live. Although All Night Dancin' from Destiny is even better imo.

All Night Dancing from destiny is Solo Michael. Everything from the adlibs to the rhythm, voice, and delivery is how he would approach a song in his solo years

Believe it or not, I have better things to do with my time than to traipse through old threads looking for examples of your trollish behaviour. I'm not even convinced you're even an MJ fan at all, maybe a Jackson 5/Jackson fan, but I don't think I've seen you say one thing on this board that indicates you have even the slightest bit of respect or admiration for MJ as a solo artist. Whilst that's your prerogative, I fail to see why you continue to frequent this board.

As for the Eminem video, congratulations, you found one... there is someone else, albeit a rapper (a subject like drug addiction is kind of par of the course for rappers and their "street" image, so it's not quite the same as the likes of Madonna, MJ, Janet, Bruno Mars, Timberlake, Prince, Beyonce... popstars who find their bread and butter scoring chart hits, selling out arenas/stadiums and generally being a global icon to millions, but if it makes you happy and seeing as you clearly get so much satisfaction from showing other people how knowledgeable you are compared to us mere mortals, I'll give you that one).

MTE with the bolded.
Eminem is a rapper and rappers sing about all kinds of shit that artists like the ones you listed wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole.:lol:
Hell, if I can remember correctly Eminem in particular has sung about raping his own mother.

Back