Favourite bridge?

That could well be called a bridge or a jam section. It doesn’t really matter that it’s (mostly) instrumental. Classical instrumental music has bridges too.
Bridge, no, because it doesn’t have new harmonic content. As such, it does not bridge.

As I said, it’s an instrumental segment of the verse. Some equlibristic solo work going on on top of it will not change the harmonic function of it in relation to the other parts.

I would never call it “jam section;” this is rather the opposite: well rehearsed, perfectly executed. ‘Section’ is terminologically problematic, too.

That is not a thing.

It is an instrumental bridge, a solo really.
What do you mean “not a thing”? Call it ‘A’ if it makes you feel better, but a bridge it is not.

‘Solo’ does not really belong in the discussion, since it doesn’t define its part in the context of pop music. You need harmonic contrast for that.

Bridge, no, because it doesn’t have new harmonic content. As such, it does not bridge.

As I said, it’s an instrumental segment of the verse. Some equlibristic solo work going on on top of it will not change the harmonic function of it in relation to the other parts.

I would never call it “jam section;” this is rather the opposite: well rehearsed, perfectly executed. ‘Section’ is terminologically problematic, too.
What do you mean “not a thing”? Call it ‘A’ if it makes you feel better, but a bridge it is not.

‘Solo’ does not really belong in the discussion, since it doesn’t define its part in the context of pop music. You need harmonic contrast for that.
It's literally a transition. It originated from instrumental music. It has nothing to do with vocals.

All right, I say it's a solo section (an established term), which in some songs may make a bridge redundant imo..
These are master musicians, all or most of whom could spontaneousely improvise memorable lines, even if it took several takes to get the 'chosen one'. If they were to play it live it would probably have a different improvised line.
It is notably missing in the pepsi commercial.
I called it a jam section because to me it calls for spontaneous dancing or other spectacle.

Last edited:
I love this part:
From 3:06 till 3:42

And I just love the bass line from 2:12 till 2:29, wish it was louder:

Morphine 😍 Best bridge Michael have ever recorded 😉
That’s not really a bridge, either, but rather “a song within a song” (perhaps more akin to two different movements within a symphony, albeit here intertwined).

Because let’s look at it:

Relax,
This won’t hurt you … Close your eyes and drift away

This acts like the verse, followed by:

Demerol … Oh God, he’s takin’ Demerol

…acting like a chorus (refrain). This, in turn, is then followed by another verse which is followed by another chorus.

I’m usually not a fan of “songs within songs,” a phenomenon taken to absurdity in the works of metal band Blind Guardian, but also at display in for example Lionel Ritchie’s Say You, Say Me. But in Morphine, it not only works, but it works so good!

All right, I say it's a solo section (an established term), which in some songs may make a bridge redundant imo..
These are master musicians, all or most of whom could spontaneousely improvise memorable lines, even if it took several takes to get the 'chosen one'. If they were to play it live it would probably have a different improvised line.
It is notably missing in the pepsi commercial.
I called it a jam section because to me it calls for spontaneous dancing or other spectacle.
The reason you shouldn’t use ‘section’ when referring to musical form, is that it is an established term having to do with ensembles (of instruments), e.g. ‘horn section,’ ‘woodwind section.’

‘Solo’ isn’t really to do with musical form. It is something that goes on on top of the part. The same principle is to be observed during a verse, in that the vocals, typically speaking, does not alter the musical form, but rather lends it melodic qualities.

By the way, you said earlier that bridges can be found in classical music, too. This is false, irregardless if you are really talking about Viennese classical art music, or Western art music in general.

Morphine 😍 Best bridge Michael have ever recorded 😉
That’s not really a bridge, either, but rather “a song within a song” (perhaps more akin to two different movements within a symphony, albeit here intertwined).

Relax,

…acting like a chorus (refrain). This, in turn, is then followed by another verse which is followed by another chorus.

I’m usually not a fan of “songs within songs,” a phenomenon taken to absurdity in the works of metal band Blind Guardian, but also at display in for example Lionel Ritchie’s Say You, Say Me. But in Morphine, it not only works, but it works so good!
You can call it "an interlude within a song", because the song is spaced out in some way via that interlude.

But the interesting thing in ’Morphine’ is that this interlude is not just music but it also has vocals.

You can call it "an interlude within a song", because the song is spaced out in some way via that interlude.

But the interesting thing in ’Morphine’ is that this interlude is not just music but it also has vocals.
Well, yeah, ‘interlude’ would cut it, but it is such a broad term; it doesn’t do justice to the intricacies of what’s going on in Morphine.

You probably would want to cross out “within a song,” though; the meaning of ‘interlude’ is ‘to play in between.’

It’s funny how ‘interlude’ have gotten popular in popular music, when at the same time, you never hear about preludes. (Or do you?)

You probably would want to cross out “within a song,” though; the meaning of ‘interlude’ is ‘to play in between.’

It’s funny how ‘interlude’ have gotten popular in popular music, when at the same time, you never hear about preludes. (Or do you?)
Given the 'inter-' prefix of the 'interlude' noun, the meaning of interlude is 'to play in between songs, or between parts of a song', so "within a song" should not be crossed out.

Also, you rarely or never hear about preludes because preludes originated from church music, and they mostly refer to operatic music/performances.

Given the 'inter-' prefix of the 'interlude' noun, the meaning of interlude is 'to play in between songs, or between parts of a song', so "within a song" should not be crossed out.

Also, you rarely or never hear about preludes because preludes originated from church music, and they mostly refer to operatic music/performances.
As I said, its meaning is ‘to play in between.’ Not sure where you are getting these songs and parts from?

Preludes are mostly found in sacral music, yes. However, it is — by far! — most primarily seen as improvised on the organ by cantors during worship services around the world.

… reason you shouldn’t use…
Even if our views differ, they are all valid. Varied established use cases coexist in academia and across cultures.
I don't mean to be contrarian. Just describing the diverse experience I see. As are you, I believe.

Uniformity of language is more common in isolated circles. Language in general doesn't keep uniform over time or across areas of interest. There are many examples of this, yet misunderstandings are not as common when we are used to understanding different views.

For example, many seem to be phonetically triggered by the pronouncing "ask" as "aks", though the latter really is the original historical form. That, however, doesn't make all those people saying "ask" incorrect either. It just means schooling makes us socially primed to appeal to authority, which historically suppresses or socially excludes people with dialects.

No one has absolute authority 😇 We are free to explore diverse use cases, as Shakespeare did. ☺️
Though what followed Shakespeare was canonization and standardization, contrary to his own freedom.

There is no need for social enforcement of standardization for a language spoken by many peoples across worldwide culture, with diverse areas of interest, unless there is great possibility of misunderstanding.

F.ex. I did refrain from using the term interlude which I wanted to, because in some experience it mostly refers to an entire piece, as part of a greater experience. Though I now recall it's valid within the context of each song. It just depends on how we may choose to frame it.

Relax,

What if it's more to that song... like a full version & they just added that in there🤔

Back