For All Time [MERGED]

Re: For All Time

in the 2008 version of Thriller 25 there is a new bridge but i could not get anything of what was he singing, i listend to it several times but could not findout what are the lines about , can anyone plz tell me what was he singing in that new bridge like what are the words ?

I like the demo/unrealesed version.

i don't really like the thriller 25 as much.

I claimed it to be my wedding song one day... lol but like that will ever happen

Last edited:

in the 2008 version of Thriller 25 there is a new bridge but i could not get anything of what was he singing, i listend to it several times but could not findout what are the lines about , can anyone plz tell me what was he singing in that new bridge like what are the words ?

ohhhh then on these quite days
Where souls embraced, so silently
ohhh the rain may wash away

All these words that young lovers say

(something like that... )

Last edited:

I fell in love with the song the first time I heard it.
I was so happy when it was finally released on CD (b/c of the good quality :D ).

:wub:

I love this song.It gives me great comfort when i feel sad.Defiantly one of my favorites.

I love this song!

His voice sounds beautiful and the lyrics are so sweet.

Each time I sing this song, at the last part I sing

"When I say I need you
Michael you gotta know that's for all time"

:( :( :(

Can you tell us more about the creation of the track For All Time that was supposed to feature on the Dangerous album ?

Michael Sherwood: Michael had called and he wanted a follow-up, something that was in the vibe of Human Nature and obviously something from Steve. We wrote several songs and one of them was For All Time. He was going to put it on the Dangerous album indeed and it was supposed to be the ballad. Michael recorded it and it was coming out really well so we were really excited. But then there was this kid, Ryan White, who died of a blood transfusion contracting AIDS, and it was very sad. Michael had this beautiful song called Gone Too Soon and it had to go on the record. So it kind of knocked our song off the Dangerous record. We were hoping that maybe it would be on the next record, then we hoped it would be on the next record and then we finally just gave up on it and continued writing. At some point Lionel Richie was approached and he was interested to perform it. Steve told me that they did a track for him with Nathan East and some other people but I never heard it and it never surfaced.

It was eventually released in 2008 on the Thriller 25 record. Do you know why it was actually chosen for that project ? How did it feel when you heard the news ?

Michael Sherwood: Well, in 2005, maybe early 2006, we got a call from Michael saying that he was releasing the Thriller 25th anniversary record and that he would like to put For All Time on it. We were very surprised but we dusted it off and finished it up. It was 20 years later but you must never give up because you never know ! It was a very pleasant surprise when Steve called me and said : « Are you sitting down ? » I said : « No. » He said : « Sit down ! » (laughs) Then I talked to Michael because I wanted to rewrite the verses. You know, 20 years later, I was a better writer so I said : « Can I please rewrite the verses ? I love the chorus and the bridge, but I think the verses need a little more work. » But Michael said : « Oh, no, I want to keep it just like it is ! » I said : « All right. » thinking to myself « You’re the King of Pop !… » (laughs)

Any anecdotes or memories of these studio sessions with Steve Porcaro and Michael Jackson ?

Michael Sherwood: I remember the sessions at Record One and Michael coming in and just being really professional and helpful and friendly but quiet. The thing is we had done most of the work 20 years before and all we did was brush it off and update some of it. Then Michael sang some of his things and finally sang the bridge which he hadn’t done before. So I didn’t really get close to him beside maybe a day of working with him. Otherwise it was Steve and I doing our things.

http://bricenajar.com/michael-sherwood-en/

Re: For all Time

Thank you for sharing this. For All Time is my favorite MJ ballad of all time, it would have been a great inclusion on the Dangerous album.

So that finally confirms that the vocals from the bridge are post-trial.

I didn't know he proposed a rewrite. That's cool.

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing. :)

Which part of the song did he re-record in the 2000s...? Reading the post, it's not clear to me.

According to someone who was at a seminar a demo of the song was played and the bridge vocals were present.

According to someone who was at a seminar a demo of the song was played and the bridge vocals were present.
The bridge vocals are even present at very low volume (audible with ear/headphones) on the so called DAT-leak. With this new info Michael from Sherwood I believe the "old" bridge vocals were just a leftover of guide vocals.

So that finally confirms that the vocals from the bridge are post-trial.

That's what I originally thought, but Michael never (to my knowledge) visited Record One at any point post-2005. I think Sherwood is saying that his only time encountering Michael in person was in 1990, when "For All Time" was originally recorded.

I believe it was Mike Smallcombe who said that there was supposed to be a quick studio session with Steve Porcaro in late 2007 to do some additional vocal work on the song, but Michael never showed.

It's true that the DAT demo and the demo played at Sundberg's seminars feature Michael singing the bridge, but it's an incomplete guide vocal.
The bridge included in the officially released song was recorded in 2007 with Eddie Cascio... in the "legendary" basement studio! For All Time is the last song Michael finished in his life. How poignant.

By the way, the version included in The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection available on iTunes is mastered differently than Thriller 25. Make sure to check it out. Another Day sounds better too!

It is one of my all time favourites too.

The bridge vocals are even present at very low volume (audible with ear/headphones) on the so called DAT-leak.

Interstingly, I might prefer the DAT version. Yes, it sounds a bit unfinished, but due to it being less audible and "airy" it gives the song an even more "floating", breezy, intangible feeling.

By the way, the version included in The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection available on iTunes is mastered differently than Thriller 25. Make sure to check it out. Another Day sounds better too!

Thanks for the tips. These different masterings are making me mad. :/

Back