Ghosts should get a proper release - with 1993 footage and all

I didn't know Ghosts was that old. I thought Michael started to make that sometime during the HIStory Era. Cause I remember first hearing about it in 1998. When I was 18 years old. But I really do agree it should have a proper released. With all of the footage they have of it.

Ghosts just shows how a short film should be. Period.

Watched it last week for first time in years. It is just a stunning piece of work and once again proves that 90's Jackson was much better than 80's in terms of musical & visual output.

What really strikes me in Ghosts is Michael's self-awareness of how he is perceived by many.

It is really, truly heart-breaking. When the mayor calls him freaky-boy and keeps repeating the word freak it is like a dagger in my heart. And when he apparently commits suicide by smashing his face on the floor it is so distressing and touching it hurts.

This combined with the music and dancing makes for the perfect piece of art. Yes there are some slightly over-acted & unnecessary moments especially from the villagers, but Michael's performances as the Maestro & Mayor more than make up for it.

2 Bad (one of my favourites on History) sounds glorious when put together with the performance and Ghosts is just amazing. The Mayor dancing is funny and the musical arrangement including the incidental music is perfect.

Just a fantastic piece of work, it's a crime that it is virtually unknown outside the fan community. They should re-master it and put it on TV in time for Halloween, then release it with History 20th anniversary. It's obvious.

Last edited:
Watched it last week for first time in years. It is just a stunning piece of work and once again proves that 90's Jackson was much better than 80's in terms of musical & visual output.

What really strikes me in Ghosts is Michael's self-awareness of how he is perceived by many.

It is really, truly heart-breaking. When the mayor calls him freaky-boy and keeps repeating the word freak it is like a dagger in my heart. And when he apparently commits suicide by smashing his face on the floor it is so distressing and touching it hurts.

This combined with the music and dancing makes for the perfect piece of art. Yes there are some slightly over-acted & unnecessary moments especially from the villagers, but Michael's performances as the Maestro & Mayor more than make up for it.

2 Bad (one of my favourites on History) sounds glorious when put together with the performance and Ghosts is just amazing. The Mayor dancing is funny and the musical arrangement including the incidental music is perfect.

Just a fantastic piece of work, it's a crime that it is virtually unknown outside the fan community. They should re-master it and put it on TV in time for Halloween, then release it with History 20th anniversary. It's obvious.

Beautifully put. In all honesty 2Bad is among my top 5 favorite MJ songs of all time.

And oh that scene when the ghosts drop down from the ceiling with that beautiful score playing. So great

Ok, so is no body here aware of the fact that the 1993 edit is out there? I have it, and I am pretty sure a LOT of people here do too

Would you guys be open about having them redo all the special effects with state of the art technology? That would be amazing

NOOOOO ****ING WAY!!!!!!!! Who are you, ****ing George Lucas or something?? Leave it alone, it is perfect the way it is!

And oh that scene when the ghosts drop down from the ceiling with that beautiful score playing. So great

I love that bit so much! The whole piece of music, from them climbing the walls and stuff till the float down is the intro music for my bands live shows, works so well ;)

No,......not at all..

Yeah, sorry that is my bad. Getting it confused with the early version that is out there. The one with different music and the different mayor transformation.

The other version doesn't exist. From what is known Michael destroyed all the original stuff when he began the new version. At least that is what was told at the time. I know that the pics come from just a normal short film, IE, not 40mins. It would have been for IIS and had the working title 2 bad. This was all to do with Michael doing the Adams Family Values sound track.
On that, do we know how many songs were written for that? I know Ghosts, IIS and 2 Bad were, but do we know of anymore, released or otherwise?

It's known Michael was dismissed to promote The Addams movie and stopped the shooting because of those damn false allegations but it doesn't make any sense why he'd destroy it. If it was true obviously.

They could compile all of the footage shot over the years from the Ghosts project, for example the footage of Michael wearing the red shirt.. mix in the footage from 1993 and maybe there are also some alternate version's/ending's etc.? combine that with the behind the scenes: interviews/dance rehearsals/make up sessions & maybe a featurette from the Cannes premiere and you've got a very powerful Blu-Ray set.

Just listened to MJ's interview with AudioChat from 2001, and he said that "Ghost's will be released in america plus the making of footage". So, if it was one of his wishes to release it on DVD, they could do it now.

I remember I bought Ghosts on VHS back in 2002 (I bought it on a trip to Russia). It had only the short film on it, but it was awesome.

Back