Glee Covers MJ Again - Update: Show to air Jan 31, 2012

This is wonderful!

Those Glee fans invaded MJ's Youtube videos...

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

Quote:
I know a lot of people don't like Glee, but I never really 'got' Michael Jackson? until I saw that episode. I've never been a fan, but I am now
smile.gif

KrystianAustinTyler

SCREAM
Quote:
This is really cool. I'm not a glee mega-fan but I'm glad that they featured the song on the show because it led me to see this awesome video. I now am exposed to a lot more of Michael's music.

AndrewJackson17

Quote:
I had never heard this song before 'cause when it came out I was 3 years old. I watched Glee's episode last night, I loved the song, I looked it up here on youtube, and yes Michael is Michael so his original version is obviously awesome, and now I keep playing it. What's wrong with that? I'm proud to say Glee brought me here, 'cause otherwise I wouldn't have been here in the first place. People, stop hating? on Glee like it's pure evil or something.

LilaBaggins

Quote:
didnt really know how awesome MJ was until i saw thi sepisode of Glee
smile.gif

chinobean1

Quote:
I'm glad that Glee introduced to me this song. Love it!

polo110100

Quote:
I didn't know MJ that well except for Man in The Mirror so I am glad Glee covered this, made me appreciate MJ music more
smile.gif

beeto456

The Jackson 5- Never Can Say Goodbye
Quote:
Watching this with my 7 year old daughter after watching the Glee episode. Awesome.

enok1968

Quote:
Thank you, Glee for introducing me to this amazing song
smile.gif
It really makes me tear up *sniff*

shinigami015

Michael Jackson:Human Nature

Quote:
this song is so relaxing
smile.gif
...i watched this song on Glee and i love it now :D

ltetzloff09

Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal
Quote:
While its true that Glee brought me here...I am glad that it did, because somehow I had missed Michael Jackson's amazingness until now. I always figured he was overrated...I was wrong.

Matandmatt

Quote:

I came here because I heard this song on glee, and I'd never heard the original. But I'm now in love with this song!!!!

thisunaveragelife

Quote:
i heard this on glee tonight and i loved it so i came here and now im adicted!

rockinrose11998

Quote:
I know some of his stuff like thriller and bad. I haven't been living under a rock. I'm just saying that until Glee did this I didn't know this song. Now I do.

rachelpoppy13

Quote:
I love the glee version, although the original is always better! And I'm glad that glee did this song, otherwise I'd never have heard it :D

Iezepies

Quote:
To be honest, i have never listened to Micheal Jackson`s music. But after hearing the preview release of Sebastian&Santana (Grant&Naya) Singing this, I had to come check it out. I`m actually really suprised. I love both version the same. They`re both amazing. Glee introduced me to MJ :)

TechnEcho

Black or white
Quote:
I'm here because Glee exposed me to a whole new side of Michael Jackson that I had never wanted to explore before. So thank you Glee, for showing me the amazing that is Michael Jackson, and thank you MJ for a great Glee episode
smile.gif

LoliUni

So strange to see that these kids don't even know many of Michael's stuff. I guess the almost two decades of media campaign against Michael to suppress his art and reduce him to a tabloid caricature was somewhat successful. But whenever his art gets some air time people discover him and grow to like him! So I'm glad Glee covered him.

"The King of Pop has still got it — and so does Glee!

Last week's Michael Jackson episode was a huge win for the crew behind the FOX musical comedy. Not only was it the most watched episode of the season, but it also generated the highest music sales! With their ten tracks, all MJ themed, the show sold 405,773 new tracks at iTunes and all are in the top 30 of iTunes Top Songs Chart. The largest seller was Naya Rivera and Grant Gustin's cover of Smooth Criminal, selling 108K all on it's own. In fact, it ranks as the 3rd highest debut for a Glee song so far in Season 3, behind We Are Young and Rumour Has It/Someone Like You.
Not too shabby! Bet that makes everyone involved on the music end of things feel really good!"

If people are learning about Michael and loving him then it's worth it. No one can sing and dance like Michael but if it makes people want to see Michael himself doing the songs then they will see what we do. It's good for his legacy.

Respect77, it is quite strange, isn't it? Lol!

I agree Marebear. But on the flip side, Michael is what made me watch Glee. Lol!

And Qbee, that's whats up! ;)

I agree Marebear. But on the flip side, Michael is what made me watch Glee. Lol!

Me too. It was the first time I ever watched the show but I did it for Michael.

Glee has an incredibly HUGE following. So doing a MJ tribute episode is genius. It exposes MJ's amazing music to a new generation. I'm happy Mike gained a million more fans after that episode. I wish he was here to see this though...

Last edited:

Yeah, that's true as well. It was the first time I watched Glee too.

I'm so glad this episode exposed people to Michael's music once again. May his legacy live on forever. I have yet to see it though, is there a link? Sorry if one has been posted, I haven't been through the whole thread.

I'm so glad to hear Glee has helped people to discover Michael's music! That's exactly what I hoped the episode would do. I don't think it's so strange that there are kids who are not that familiar with his music. The media has done all they could do reduce him to nothing than a tabloid caricature, so it's sad but not surprising that that's all some people know. But I'm optimistic that will change, and more and more people will remember Michael for his music and charity work rather than the tabloid garbage. I think things like this Glee tribute will help to achieve that.

Lorelei, there are several links throughout the thread. I think MsCassie posted the whole thing.
But there are links in here. Try page 114 to start. ;)

I find it miserable for all the young people to learn about the biggest artist in history through a reality show. Look how the industry has turned into....pity!!!

I find it miserable for all the young people to learn about the biggest artist in history through a reality show. Look how the industry has turned into....pity!!!

I'm sure they know more about his "so-called" addiction to drugs and plastic surgeries SMH

Seeing kids say they're not familiar with his music is nothing new. You see statements like this said all the time whenever older artists and acts music gets exposure. Like A Prayer is huge right now among kids because of The Super Bowl. Or when Janet's hits were sung on NBC's The Sing Off you saw lots of teens saying they didn't know the songs.

It is things like this which continue to spead the legacy.

Wow, reading some of those comments really made my day! I'm so glad that the show exposed so many people to the greatest entertainer of all time. This was also my first exposure to Glee, but I have to say that tribute was done beautifully.

Week Ending Feb. 5, 2012. Songs: Madonna & MJ

Close your eyes and you'd swear it was 1987. Madonna has the top new entry on this week's Hot 100 with "Give Me All Your Luvin," which she performed at the Super Bowl with Nicki Minaj and the irrepressibleM.I.A. And five Michael Jackson songs enter the Hot 100, albeit in their Glee cover versions from last week's MJ salute. The highest-ranking is "Smooth Criminal," which pops on at #26.

Madonna and MJ never collaborated (that wasn't done much in those days), though they did go on one very high-profile "date." They went to the Oscars together on March 25, 1991, the year Madonna sang the nominated "Sooner Or Later (I Always Get My Man)," which won for Best Song. Now, back to the countdown.

Glee
version of"Smooth Criminal" (featuring 2Cellos) sold 108K copies this week, which enables it to enter Hot Digital Songs at #10. It's the third rendition of this song to crack the top 30 on the Hot 100. Jackson's original version reached #7 in 1989. Alien Ant Farm'salternative-minded cover version hit #21 in 2001.

Four other Glee versions of MJ songs enter the Hot 100: "Human Nature" bows at #56, followed by "Black Or White" at #64, "Wanna Be Startin' Something" at #78 and "Bad" at #80. This is the third time that "Human Nature" has been a hit. Jackson's original reached #7 in 1983. SWV's "Right Here/Human Nature" reached #2 in 1993. This is also the third time (sort of) that "Bad" has been a hit. Jackson's original hit #1 in 1987. "Weird Al" Yankovic's parody version, "Fat," reached #99 in 1988.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart-...2012-songs-madonna-mj-024543065.html#more-798

Not that Qbee isn't cool or anything but after looking at the last couple pages, I realized
that I made a mistake and gave a "That's what's up!" to her when it should have
gone to MsCassieMollie. Sorry for the error. :blush:
Thank MsCassie for all the quotes. That's what's up! :D

Back