Glee Covers MJ Again - Update: Show to air Jan 31, 2012

Well some of the songs were hit and miss for me and yes of course no one can do it like Mike. I do like however that they performed songs like "Never Can Say Goodbye","Ben",etc. I enjoyed those. Overall, it was a decent show.

https://twitter.com/#!/tajjackson3
tajjackson3 Taj Jackson
I heard @GLEEonFOX was great tonight. It hasn't aired yet on the west coast but I definitely will be watching. #Glee MJ4ever
3 hours ago
https://twitter.com/#!/latoyajackson
latoyajackson La Toya Jackson
I wish to thank the cast of @GLEEonFOX #Glee for performing an incredible job on your tribute to #Michael on #MJGLEE It was much appreciate
12 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

This show #Glee of #MJGLEE makes me cry I realize how much I miss my brother and how extremely talented he was!!!
20 minutes ago

@AnaPaulaDuarte5 I love you as well Ana perhaps more!!!
25 minutes ago

“@MaryElizabeth73: @latoyajackson You'll LOVE the entire show! :eek:) #MJGLEE” #yes #MJGLEE is great so far!!! Loving it!!!
28 minutes ago

“@dunksothersista: @ErinPSaid well dayumm i hope @latoyajackson sees Glee tonite When it airs” I'm watching & it's Ben another great song!!!
35 minutes ago

@MJFanClub Hi Guys I'm watching #MJGLEE and Human Nature was Awesome!!! #commercial break. Thanks for your support!!!
39 minutes ago

@showbiztonight The cast of #Glee is doing an incredible job! Human Nature is being performed now one of my favorites!!!
44 minutes ago

Really enjoyed the tribute. :) Thought Scream & Bad were just ok, but I really liked the rest. My favorites were Smooth Criminal, Ben and Human Nature. They really nailed Smooth Criminal and I know that's a hard song to sing. I also loved the Black or White morphing at the end. :D

Posted at 11:57 PM ET, 01/31/2012‘Glee’ by the musical numbers: Maxing out on Michael Jackson

By Jen Chaney

311Glee_michael3.jpg

Blaine (Darren Criss) shows off his MJ moves prior to the tragic slushie incident. (Fox)Tonight’s episode of “Glee” — a long-planned Michae Jacksontribute episode entitled simply “Michael” — featured some of the most memorable dialogue in “Glee” history.

Take this line from Mr. Schuester, which followed the horrifying slushie attack on Blaine by the evil Warbler leader Sebastian: “In all my years as a teacher and a student, I have never known a slushie to do that kind of damage.”(Ah, William Schuester. Clearly you are unaware of the permanent brain damage suffered by Bart Simpson and Milhouse Van Houten following the Great Squishee Bender of 1993.)

The fact that Matthew Morrison uttered those words with a completely straight face was overshadowed slightly by the fact that he then immediatly said this with an equally straight face: “Unless you have proof that he tampered with the slushie, the police aren’t getting involved.”

But sugary frozen beverages — as delicious and occasionally dangerous to corneas as they might be — were not the point of this episode. The point of “Michael” was, of course, Michael.

For those keeping track, this installment marked the third time that “Glee” has devoted an entire episode to the music of a single artist, the first one being the “Power of Madonna” and the second the Britney Spears lovefest entitled “Britney/Brittany.” Both of those episodes featured scattered plotlines engineered to include as many songs by said artists as possible; both also glorified their respective pop stars’ images to an absurd degree that, apparently, was required in order to secure the rights to use their music. “Michael,” I’m afraid, wasn’t much different.

Too many of the numbers paid such meticulous tribute to the King of Pop and his era-defining videos that they came across as nothing more than weak imitations. And in what has apparently become a “Glee” tradition, Jackson — like Madonna and Britney before him — was treated like a musical messiah whose teachings should be studied like the word of the Lord. (“WWMJD?” Mr. Schu encouraged his charges to ask themselves. “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of regionals, I shall fear no Warbler” .... that’s in the Bible, right?)

Not every glitter-socked move was a misstep, though. So let’s assess all nine of the Jackson numbers — for the record, that’s one less than we got from Madonna, but two more than the Spears episode delivered — in this week’s “Glee.” Disagree with my take? Feel free to be startin’ somethin’ in the comments section.

“Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” — Blaine and New Directions
311gleemichael.jpg

(Fox)
After the first of two references to the Cirque de Soleil show “Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour” — which, for the record, really is coming to Ohio in June — Blaine got his Jackson-esque crotch-grabbing on to lead the whole gang in a little bit of “Mama-say mama-sah ma-ma-coo-sah-ing.” The number was appropriately big and splashy, but musically, it sounded like all the funk had been drained right out of it. Darren Criss is in*cred*ibly talented, but the truth remains: you can put a white glove on Criss’s hand but you can’t make him Michael Jackson.Grade: C+.

“Bad” — New Directions vs. Warblers
311GLEE_michael4.jpg

(Fox)
Number one: leather jackets, cheerleading skirts and prep school uniforms do not mix. Number two: maybe Jackson just sets the bar too high, but this tune also sounded noticeably defunkified. Number three: If there’s a street fight set to this song that does not involve Wesley Snipes, then I want no part of it. Grade: C-.

“Scream” — Artie and Mike
Call this an homage or call it a straight-up rip-off of the brilliant video for this ‘90s Jackson hit. Either way, it lacked the energy and genuine aggression of the original Michael/Janet Jackson collaboration, although at least Kevin McHale and Harry Shum, Jr. got to show off their dance skills. Speaking of which: I had no idea how easy it is to make Shum look like Janet Jackson. It’s all in the eyeliner and the spiky sweaters, apparently.Grade: C.

“Never Can Say Good-bye” — Quinn
This understated (by comparison) take on the Jackson 5 standard worked much better than every track that preceded it. Why? Because it took a great tune and adapted it to “Glee” instead of trying to out-Jackson Jackson. Sure, it was corny, but after “Bad” and “Scream,” it provided much-needed semi-cheesy relief. Grade: B-.

“Human Nature” — Mercedes and Sam
The “Summer Lovin’” sweethearts reconnected the way so many young couples do: by singing a duet about “sweet seducing sighs” while the nerdiest jazz ensemble on Earth provided accompaniment. They sounded good together, even if the whole thing ultimately left me asking: “Why? Why?” Grade: B-.

“Ben” — Kurt, Finn and Rachel
If the name Bill can be changed to Will during the “Glee” version of “Wedding Bell Blues,” then why on Earth couldn’t they change the name Ben to Blaine in this serenade to the Boy Who Survived a Rock-Salt Slushie Assault? Perhaps the Jackson estate wouldn’t allow it. That’s a shame. But given that the original song was technically about a boy’s love for a killer rat, was it that much weirder to see Kurt, Finn and Rachel sing it to a guy who isn’t named Ben and was wearing an eye patch and a pair of Cary Grant’s pajamas? No, especially not when it gives Chris Colfer an excuse to hit those “You’ve got a friend in me” high notes. Grade: B.

“Smooth Criminal” — Santana and Sebastian
311GLEE_michael5.jpg

(Fox)
Like all intense duels, the one between Santana (Naya Rivera) and the “Glee” version of Steff from “Pretty in Pink” (Grant Gustin) began with these words: “Cello guys, can you hang back for a second? I’m going to need you for this one.”
Good lord, what was going on here? If Santana and Sebastian have such dastardly tendencies, why did they keep hiding behind all those conference room chairs? Aside from paying tribute to Jackson’s ensemble from the “Smooth Criminal” video, would there be any logical reason for Santana to confront Sebastian while dressed like Jack Abramoff? And what the heck were those cellists so convulsively angry about? All I know is this: to borrow the sage words of Jay-Z, who has yet to inspire his own “Glee” episode, none of these people could bust a grape in a fruit fight.Grade: D.

“I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” — Finn and Rachel
Lea Michele — who was genuinely moving when she wept on Kurt’s shoulder over her seemingly NYADA-less future — sang this Jackson love song in the loveliest possible fashion with Cory Monteith. For a moment, I was even briefly on Finn and Rachel’s side when they agreed to marry as a result of this duet, even though that decision makes zero sense. Of course, the sweetness of this number barely lasted since Rachel eventually did receive that much-coveted NYADA finalist letter, proving once again that today’s high-schoolers simply do not have the patience needed to deal with snail mail. Grade: B+.

“Black or White” — New Directions
This was the part of the episode where the New Directions decided to take the higher road and let the Warblers use Jackson’s music in their regionals routine. (Because that’s what Michael Jackson would do.) And it was also the part where the New Directions showed the Warblers they are wayyyy better than the Warblers while simultaneously singing about how people should exist in peace and harmony. (Because, again, that’s what Michael Jackson would do.) Thankfully, the Gleeks avoided smashing any car windows a la the 1991 music video. Unfortunately, they did not avoid a round of facial morphing, a la the 1991 music video. Grade: C.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...chael-jackson/2012/01/31/gIQA4UkfgQ_blog.html

msleamichele Lea Michele
Really hope you all like our Michael episode tonight! We worked really hard on it and it was such an honor to do.

I think Glees Michael tribute was great positive publicity for Mike for a change. And as others have mentioned it introduces the magic that is Michael to a whole new generation.

Overall i liked it especially Smooth Criminal and Human Nature. But as i sat there watching i got really sad. Made me miss Michael even more.
Still hard to accept he will never sing those songs again. : (

To be honest, I had never watched an entire episode 'til now...I thought the show was kinda corny.

But tonight, I was pleasantly surprised :8-25-03tv_happy: I think they did a great job and it's obvious that they worked hard on it.

It was a really cool tribute, showed how relevant & timeless Michael's music & dance is, and more importantly, continues to spread his msgs.

:D #WWMJD :cry:

I think the person who wrote the Glee MJ Tribute review needs to not take it so damn seriously. It was just a show. lol Enjoy it and shut up.

bluesky;3591745 said:
Posted at 11:57 PM ET, 01/31/2012

For those keeping track, this installment marked the third time that “Glee” has devoted an entire episode to the music of a single artist, the first one being the “Power of Madonna” and the second the Britney Spears lovefest entitled “Britney/Brittany.” Both of those episodes featured scattered plotlines engineered to include as many songs by said artists as possible; both also glorified their respective pop stars’ images to an absurd degree that, apparently, was required in order to secure the rights to use their music. “Michael,” I’m afraid, wasn’t much different.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...chael-jackson/2012/01/31/gIQA4UkfgQ_blog.html

They also did a whole episode for Lady Gaga so technically this is their fourth tribute episode. That being said, it wasn't the only thing she got WRONG in the article ;D

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I love that they did this tribute to Michael! Glee is a very popular show, and I hope it might get some people interested in Michael's music who weren't familiar with his work before. Number Ones and the Essential MJ are doing well on iTunes albums charts, so I think the episode did get at least some people to buy his music.

I also love that they sang other songs than just Thriller, Billie Jean and Beat it. I mean, those are great songs, but it bothers me that his other work besides Thriller doesn't get the recognition it deserves, so I'm really glad they chose less well-known songs as well. And from what I've heard about the episode, it's very positive about Michael. I think this is exactly the kind of thing that might help people to remember what an amazing artist he was, and focus on his music rather than all the tabloid garbage.

I think Glees Michael tribute was great positive publicity for Mike for a change. And as others have mentioned it introduces the magic that is Michael to a whole new generation.

Overall i liked it especially Smooth Criminal and Human Nature. But as i sat there watching i got really sad. Made me miss Michael even more.
Still hard to accept he will never sing those songs again. : (

Your words put a lump in my throat.

I just hope PPB loved it!

I loved the WWMJD part and the 'dueling cellos' for Smooth Criminal. I thought the whole thing was awesome, actually. I agree @froggytuff, I hope PPB and Michael are happy with it.

The Glee versions of the songs are doing really well on iTunes charts! :)

2. Smooth Criminal (Glee Cast Version)
9. Human Nature (Glee Cast Version)
11. Black or White (Glee Cast Version)
12. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Glee Cast Version)
16. Bad (Glee Cast Version)
22. I Just Can't Stop Loving You (Glee Cast Version)
23. I Want You Back (Glee Cast Version)
27. Scream (Glee Cast Version)
29. Never Can Say Goodbye (Glee Cast Version)
32. Ben (Glee Cast Version)

Rolling Stone Review

Glee' Recap: A Tribute Worthy of a King
The show honors Michael Jackson in season three's best episode so far

By ERICA FUTTERMAN
February 1, 2012 11:05 AM ET

6bf3dac2b4cb2e9e6b6bcaa2ce3ce77a0ddee855.jpg

Blaine leads the rest of the glee club during a performance on 'Glee.'
Adam Rose/FOX

It was almost a year ago that Glee first tackled the King of Pop, featuring a mash-up of "Thriller" with the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Heads Will Roll" in its super-sized post-Super Bowl episode. Last fall, Michael Jackson's family finally gave the blessing for a full-fledged tribute. Despite the initial whiff of product placement and forced timing (Blaine mentions Cirque du Soleil's "The Immortal World Tour" less than five minutes into the episode), "Michael" proved to be Glee's most effortless tribute episode yet: the song selections seamlessly wove into the hour's plots, while also paying tribute to the creative and musical talents of Michael Jackson. And "Michael" also proved our theory about Sue Sylvester's absence being indicative of a good episode: she was nowhere to be found tonight. Still, we got a whopping nine MJ tunes and nearly everyone had their turn in the spotlight:

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'":
Blaine, Kurt, Santana and Mercedes are still talking about sectionals (because it's always sectionals, or regionals, or nationals, as Community so aptly pointed out in its fall finale). The latest theory is that the New Directions beat the Troubletones because the New Directions performed a Michael Jackson medley. The remedy? Michael at regionals! (And a tribute episode that seems to have some relevance to things that came before it.) Blaine kicks things off with the appropriately titled "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" – his slick showmanship making him a natural for lead vocals. He starts strutting down the hallway, followed by Brittany and Santana in Cheerios outfits, Mercedes in all black and Kurt in all black with an overwhelming fur hat. And thus, the New Directions' sassiest members kick off the highly caffeinated number, shooting the episode out of a proverbial cannon. They recruit Tina, Rachel and Quinn in the library and meet up with the the rest of the glee club in the auditorium, where the big dance number doubles as a fashion show of Jackson's most famous ensembles.

"Bad":
Sebastian makes his evil return at the local coffee house, mixing insults in with the reveal of his devious planning: he got Blaine to spill the New Directions' plan to sing Michael Jackson at regionals, except the Warblers go first and wouldn't it be grand if they one-upped the New Directions with some MJ of their own? The New Directions are still miffed at the next glee club session, when Mr. Schue devotes the week to prepping for regionals by asking the New Directions "WWMJD?" (What Would Michael Jackson Do?). After a brief history of all the ways that Jackson fought back against his haters, Blaine decrees that Jackson would "take it to the streets."

The New Directions, at least, literally do this, meeting the Warblers in a shady underground parking lot, à la the "Bad" video. In the episode's first homage to Jackson's legendary videos, "Bad" is as much a dance battle as it is a vocal one, and the winner gets the rights to sing Michael Jackson tunes at regionals. The arrangement gets an interesting twist thanks to the Warblers' penchant for a cappella, and Artie and Santana begin the battle for vocal MVP of the episode. He once again proves an innate ability for a spot-on pop vocal, while her dynamic power adds an edge to otherwise straightforward melodies. It's not all fun and games though: the number ends with Sebastian tossing a slushie at Blaine, one so powerful it sends him to the ground and tears his cornea.

"Scream":
The New Directions are still reeling from the parking lot showdown, and Kurt tells everyone that Blaine is out of commission while he has surgery (also conveniently providing an out for Darren Criss to make his Broadway debut while the episode was being filmed). The New Directions want an eye for an eye; Schue says no. Artie fights back: "I'm not interested in it getting any better. I want it to be better. I want to hurt them, like they hurt us." After Schue tells him to cool off, Artie gets up from his wheelchair, asks, "Who's with me?" and things shift to black and white as Mike rises in agreement. Suddenly we're on a futuristic spaceship for one of Glee's most impressive production numbers to date: a recreation of the mega-expensive video for Janet and Michael's angst-ridden sibling duet, "Scream." We've got nothing but praise for the number, which showcases Glee's two best male dancers. Usually solo-shy Mike rises to the occasion, and both he and Artie capture the anger heard on the original.

"Never Can Say Goodbye":
Despite her self-imposed deadline of three days having passed and additional persuasion from Finn, Rachel still hasn't been able to decide whether she wants to say "yes" to last episode's proposal. She seeks advice from Quinn in the ladies' bathroom (the site of many a high school TV drama advice session). Newly mature Miss Fabray reveals that she's been accepted early decision to Yale on the strength of her essay about teen pregnancy, and advises Rachel to reject Finn's proposal: "I'm all for making the most of the next few months, but I'd hate the idea of dragging an anchor from my past into the bright lights of my future." She further proves her point in song, launching into the Jackson 5's 1971 single – a tune well-suited for Quinn's sultry voice and the flipped meaning she gives the lyrics. Instead of feeling remorse over her three high school loves – Finn, Puck and Sam – Quinn uses her performance in a slinky black sequined dress to make peace with saying good-bye, successfully reminding us of her evolution from the most annoying to the most level-headed character since the season's start.

"Human Nature":
Sam invites Mercedes to the auditorium for a duet, because they've never actually sung together. She refuses, but then the music starts, and it's totally impossible for her not to sing over Sam's bare-bones guitar intro to the Thriller cut. Their voices are great together and separately: hers restrained and soulful, his rock-tinged and raw. It's a crisp, well-executed cover that ends with an appropriately timed kiss. The song is called "Human Nature," so we'd have been fools to expect anything less for the setting of Sam and Mercedes' reunion.

"Ben":
Burt pulls Kurt out of class: the letter came from NYADA! After walking from room to room, they wind up in the choir room, where Kurt finally opens the letter, reads that he's a finalist and Burt reaffirms his stance as TV dad of the year. "You are unstoppable, Kurt," he tells his son. "I am so proud to be your dad. They can never take this away from you." Things aren't going so well for Rachel, who hasn't gotten a letter. "I knew it, I had this weird feeling in my stomach all week long," she tells Kurt as she breaks down because all of her plans (correction: her one plan) have fallen apart and she has no idea what her future holds.

The emotional roller coaster continues at Blaine's house. Blaine hasn't had surgery yet, so he's wearing an eye patch, while Kurt is reading a Broadway article to him and Rachel and Finn show up with chicken noodle soup and eye patch-friendly DVDs (Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.). After toasting Kurt's good fortune, Kurt, Finn and Rachel try to make Blaine feel better about missing Michael Week by singing "Ben." The song about a rat. The good news is that Kurt, naturally, does well in the high range, Rachel sings sweetly to complement and Finn comes in with a rich verse of his own. But it's still a little creepy to sing a song about a rat around a bed, however much about friendship it really is about. Maybe they could have changed "Ben" to "Blaine" and it would have been a tiny bit less uncomfortable.

"Smooth Criminal":
Santana, in a female-friendly take on the "Smooth Criminal" video ensemble, goes to the Warblers' rehearsal space (somewhere far, far away from the polished library of Dalton) to rip the Warblers a new one for tossing the slushie at Blaine. Turns, out it was intended for Kurt. Sebastian still won't 'fess up to what he put in it, so he and Santana settle the duel the best way they know how: with song. Sebastian, Santana and some furious (and furiously awesome) cellos take on "Smooth Criminal" in an empty ballroom – the high school glee club version of the bar the original video took place in, we suppose. It's the perfect soundtrack for the show's slickest villains: Santana wails, Sebastian channels his Chuck Bass and we are sold. The only other thing we could have asked for is some of the video's trademark leaning in the choreography.

The song ends in a draw (though we'd hand it to Santana), but Santana gets Sebastian to admit he put rock salt in the slushie, and she secretly gets it on tape. Back at McKinley, Kurt puts the kibosh on seeking payback. "If Michael went after all the haters, he would never have had any time to do that amazing music. so we're not going to punish the Warblers; we're going to teach them a lesson." He leads the New Directions to the auditorium, but Finn asks Rachel to stay behind.

"I Just Can't Stop Loving You":
In what amounts to "Finchel: The Proposal, Part 2," Finn begins to serenade Rachel, which is sweet to hear since he's usually the target of her ballads. Again, we are grateful to the Glee team for assigning plot-relevant songs in a week where it would be so easy to go awry. Case in point: this number, which is the duet that will launch a thousand fan blog .gifs and YouTube tribute videos. We have to admit that we got swept up in the moment, as well. We're also proud of Finn for holding his own against Rachel, vocally.

In case you doubted it for a second, the song does the job: she says yes! He's overwhelmed. She's crying. It's adorable, if not completely impractical. And only the awkward back-up musicians are there to witness it. We're not sure where, exactly, Rachel turned from career-focused Broadway diva wannabe into only having eyes for her boyfriend, but she's so happy that we don't want to break her spirit.

"Black or White":
Kurt's lesson involves inviting the Warblers to the McKinley auditorium, where the New Directions proceed to give a moral speech and Puck has a line (Hi, Puck. Where have you been all episode? How's Shelby?). Then, in true episode finale spirit, they launch into a triumphant number in which almost everyone has a solo and there's lots of dancing on the stage. Artie once again nails the MJ impression, but he can tack on the Macaulay Culkin rap to his resumè, as well. It's appropriate that Kurt sings the line "Don't tell me you agree with me, when I saw you kicking dirt in my eye" and, predictably, all of the Warblers go up to join the New Directions. All of the Warblers, except for Sebastian, of course, who is firmly pegged as the New Directions' new villain (no episodic retribution for him!). Did we mention that they also did the face-morphing as seen at the end of the original video? Because they did. And we'd be lying if we didn't get excited when it happened, because we were pretty sure it wasn't going to happen – until it did!

Santana and Kurt tell Sebastian about their recorded proof of his evil doings. But they take the high road and opt to give the tape back to him, claiming victory will be sweeter when they beat the Warblers – including Sebastian – at regionals. The drama isn't over yet, however: Rachel meets Kurt by the lockers, envelope in hand. She's also a NYADA finalist. But has she told Finn? No idea, 'cause it's another Finchel cliffhanger.

Bottom Line: Our one gripe would have to be that there wasn't enough Brittany: she's one of the show's best dancers, so where was she during a Michael Jackson tribute? But, that aside, this is exactly the kind of episode we wish Glee did every week: plot-relevant tunes, actual significant movement in storylines and over-the-top production numbers. We feel like a broken record for pointing it out every time it happens, but those instances have become so few and far between that every time it does happen is worth noting. Next week we'll find out if Ricky Martin can help keep the momentum up. Livin' la vida loca, indeed.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/glee-recap-a-tribute-worthy-of-a-king-20120201#ixzz1lAB01zLH

Billboard review

Glee' Recap: Michael Jackson Tribute Was Bad (As in Good)

More songs, more fantasy, less talking and less adults. These principles applied to the basic structure of "Glee" result in the best episodes of the franchise, and Michael Jackson hit all the notes. The adults stay out of it except in direct support of the kids, the emotional speeches were bookends to musical numbers, the musical numbers themselves were strong, fantastical and poignant to the story. Even as the real world creeps closer and closer to the Michael Jackson fantasy land of McKinley, the New Directions are finding ways to overcome.

We begin with the former Troubletones lamenting to Kurt and Blaine that they missed their chance to perform Michael Jackson in competition, and in a brilliant bit of marketing synergy Blaine manages to promote the Michael Jackson Cirque tour, and kick off the episode with "Wanna Be Starting Something." Blaine crotch-grabs his way through the McKinley halls, rallies the troops in the library and then they all end up on stage in various versions of MJ costumes, looking fabulous. Meanwhile, Finn has been patiently waiting 3 days for Rachel to make a decision about his desperate proposal last episode. Rachel claims to want to marry Finn someday, but that she's still planning on New York, while Finn explains that this engagement would be a way to keep them together and make their relationship more solid. Rachel rightly calls him out on that being a little crazy, but it is crazy in a very specifically high school way where heightened emotion and the fear of change leads to these sorts of rash decisions. Finn stalls her and tells her to think some more.

Video: Blaine, "Wanna Be Starting Something"

Over at the Lima Bean, discussion turns back to Michael Jackson memories -- even though the whole discussion should be about Kurt's fabulous gloves. Evil Sebastian shows up and proclaims that the New Directions' plans are foiled because Warblers have first slot at Regionals and will be performing Michael Jackson as well, since Blaine accidentally tipped him off on their set list. Santana tries to take Sebastian down a peg but he quips back more racist, classist and meaner than Glee's villains normally act. Basically, we're quickly learning Sebastian is a new type of Glee villain. He's even changed the rules in the Warblers, serving as their captain, the days of the council and their fair and proper ways long gone.

Of course the club is in distress, despite Blaine reminding them all that they have pulled off last minute set lists before, and they still have plenty of time by Glee standards to throw something new together.

Mr. Schue turns their frustration into a lesson called WWMJD - What Would Michael Jackson Do? While that's ripe for off-color jokes, Artie points out that Michael would fight back, and Blaine claims that he would "take it to the streets." Glee's version of the streets is an abandoned parking garage, where they meet the Warblers for a Jackson Off. New Directions have put on hoodies to signify their toughness, and they break into a choreographed dance fight set to "Bad" with the Warblers that is up there with the Dreamgirls performance from earlier this season as one of the strangest and best things "Glee" has done. When they edge into true musical theater moments infused in the show is Glee's shining point, and this whole episode showcases mostly that. In the end, the fantasy slams into reality as the Warblers pass Sebastian a slushie he intends to throw at Kurt, except ever valiant Blaine leaps in the way and then crumbles to the ground in pain.

Video: New Directions & the Warblers, "Bad"

Slushies have been an annoying but ultimately harmless abuse device for three seasons on "Glee," a clothes-and-day ruiner and a symbol of high school status, but not actual violence, but our newest villain has, again, changed all the rules, putting something into the mix that we learn scratched Blaine's cornea and requires surgery. Kurt quietly delivers this information to the club, always the boy surrounded by hospitals and pain, and the group reacts in anger. They want revenge, but without proof that the slushie was tampered with there's nothing they can do. Artie breaks down, telling Mr. Schue he wants to do more than just sing to react, and stop turning the other cheek and waiting for things to get better. Schue tells him to take a break, and the Glee fantasy takes over as he steps out of his chair and walks, with Mike, into a recreation of the "Scream" video. It's a reminder of how unfortunately it is that Artie is wheelchair bound because more Kevin McHale dancing on Glee would be amazing. Again, Glee flourishes by letting the songs narrate the show, and taking something iconic visually to highlight the kids' emotions. We learn more about Artie's frustration in this fantasy scene than we have in 3 seasons. We fade back into reality as Artie rolls out of the choir room to calm down.

Rachel comes to Quinn for advice about Finn's proposal. Quinn, who thankfully isn't crazy anymore but somehow applied for and got into Yale in less than a month, tells Rachel she can't do it, and reminds her that college is next and high school romances aren't something to take on to the bright lights of her future. She highlights this with "Never Can Say Goodbye," dressed stunningly in the auditorium where she dances with each of her high school loves, before putting things into her locker that's decorated with all the memories of high school, then shutting that way and finally closing in the choir room as she gives a speech to her fellow glee clubbers about how they helped her become the person that she is today. With that, Quinn's entire storyline for three years is wrapped up with several episodes to go in the season. Maybe she'll just leave for college early.

Santana finds Kurt alone in a classroom, where he's frustrated and wishing for revenge on Sebastian. Santana suggested they forcibly get Sebastian an amazing tramp stamp, but Kurt has fought against violence at McKinley and can't condone it no matter what. Santana, amazingly, agrees, but ominously vows that they're going to beat Sebastian anyway. Meanwhile, we get another Immortal Tour namedrop when Mercedes meets Sam in the auditorium while he propositions her for a "Human Nature" duet by putting her name in lights across the stage. Even though she says no, he starts to play anyway, and the two sound great together, finishing the number with a sweet, simple kiss. Perhaps we're in for another clandestine love affair this season.

Video: Mercedes & Sam, "Human Nature"

Burt shows up at school to pull Kurt out of class, and Kurt reacts as one would who only gets pulled out of class when someone is in the hospital -- in a panic. Blaine is okay, but Kurt's NYADA letter has arrived and after a frantic search for the perfect classroom, Kurt turns away from his father to read it himself, spinning around overcome with emotion because he's a finalist. Burt scream his joy, his excitement about telling Blaine, and his pride in his son all in quick succession. Kurt slow-motion runs down the hall to find Rachel and show her his letter, but when he realizes she hasn't gotten hers yet he stands there trying to console her with words as she outlines how her future plans are falling apart, and all she has left is her boyfriend. When nothing works he just hugs her. Kurt and Rachel's journeys through ambition, acceptance and relationships are the heart of the show, and even though sometimes the intersection of those things push them apart, they're always best when they're supporting each other, because in the real world they're not going to be competition for each other like they are at McKinley, but instead each other's best supports.

Blaine Anderson has an eyepatch. Other things happen in these scene, but that's all you can really notice. Kurt reads Blaine gossip mags, Rachel brings chicken soup and Finn provides various eyepatch themed films for Blaine's enjoyment. Then Blaine makes everything awkward by pulling champagne glasses out of his drawer to toast Kurt's NYADA finalist letter. In turn, Finn and Rachel explain that even if Blaine loses an eye he can still be a fine performer. It's super strange, and they round it off by bringing the Michael Jackson to Blaine, singing "Ben." Despite being a song about a rat, it's actually a sweet moment, especially between Kurt and Blaine, since Blaine manages to give heart eyes even with only one eye.

Video: Kurt, Rachel & Finn, "Bad"

The immediate transition is to Santana, who's gone to Dalton on her own to confront Sebastian and the Warblers. They seem somewhat surprised that Blaine was really hurt, even though they walked out on him sprawled on the parking lot floor in obvious pain during the "Bad" scene. Sebastian is unapologetic, and admits he was aiming for Kurt, and when Santana questions his honor over what he put in the slushie, he challenges her to duel, clearing the room except for the two cellists.

"Smooth Criminal" is a song about assault, and Sebastian starts it off after Santana seats herself. Glee has a lot of villains, mostly comical. The last presumably truly dangerous one, Karofsky, was swiftly given motivation that made him more of a sympathetic character. Sebastian is the first who's remained dangerous, calculated and remorseless as long as he's been a featured character. He's the real world, finally looming beyond McKinley's halls. Sebastian snakes around the room and onto Santana in a sexual way that's about power and violence, and sex as a tool of that, something both these queer characters have used as weapons before. Together, however, we finally see where Sebastian, as a man, still holds the power over Santana, a woman. As much as she holds her own, there's fear in her eyes that never grace Sebastian's, in part because Santana has gone through a humanizing journey these three seasons and, as she admitted to Kurt earlier, does have limits because she values her future. When they finish singing Sebastian admits to putting rock salt in the slushie, and as Santana's bravado breaks down and she yells at him over putting Blaine in the hospital, he takes another, un-salted slushie from the returning Warblers and throws it in her face. He's even managed to corrupt Glee's queer fantasy land of Dalton.

Video: Santana & Sebastian, "Smooth Criminal"

Santana, of course, had ulterior motives for going to Dalton. She strapped a recorder her underboob and got his admission on tape. Despite it not being a violent revenge, Kurt still objects, wanting to teach the Warblers a lesson instead of getting revenge, and has reserved the auditorium. Before they all go there, Finn pulls Rachel aside and proposes to her again, this time through music. Finn sounds the best he's sounded on "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," and Rachel, because she's Rachel, has to join in. She fell in love with him the first time because they sang together, and so it's a smart move for Finn to upgrade his proposal in this way. She seemingly can't help but say yes to him.

In the auditorium the group explains that they are not doing Michael for Regionals, and are taking the high road. They perform "Black Or White" to prove to the Warblers that they really get MJ, showing off their resilience and giving Kurt the pointed "kicking dirt in my eye" line, played joyously. The Warblers can't help but join in, until the stage is filled by the time the song segues to the iconic Michael Jackson face morphing portion, leaving only villain Sebastian in the audience. Santana pulls out her tape of Sebastian's admission, and Kurt points out that Regionals will only be worthwhile if Sebastian is there to suffer the defeat. He's off the hook for now, and in theory the Warblers are his minions no more, but it's hard to believe Sebastian will be bested this easily.

Video: New Directions, "Black Or White"

We cap the show with Rachel's letter finally arriving -- she, too, is a finalist, and her joy is much more muted than Kurt's moment, and even more so when Kurt asks excitedly if Finn knows yet, and Rachel's face affirms that her acceptance of Finn's proposal was not about them being in love, but about her feeling like she was out of options. With this back on the table, Rachel might not need that ring to feel like she's got a future.

And the future, it looms. Quinn might be set, and Kurt and Rachel are on a path that will lead both of them to take losses for what they hope to gain. Ryan Murphy has said the end of this season will be heartbreaking, following these more lighthearted episodes. They're only finalists for their dreams so far, and they likely won't get an easy road. The others, too, don't have any clear paths. Santana, Britt and Mercedes haven't outlined anything yet, Mike might not be good enough to dance like he hopes. Parents, who continue to play a greater role in this season, will have to let go of their children as they become adults. "Glee" payed homage to Michael Jackson this episode, but now it's time to leave Neverland for the rest of the journey.

Ratings reports

Michael Jackson tribute gives "Glee" a much-needed win
Ads by Google
CPAP Supplies & MachinesLittle or No Cost - Accepting Only Private (PPO) & Medicare Patients www.Insurance4CPAP.com/masks

Comments
1Share12
Tim Kenneally
Reuters
12:29 p.m. CST, February 1, 2012

Ads by Google

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - The cast of "Glee" had reason to do a celebratory moon-walk Wednesday morning.

The Fox show's tribute episode to Michael Jackson gave the show a double-digit boost to nab the top ratings spot of the night, according to preliminary numbers.

"Glee," airing at 8 p.m., drew a 3.6 rating/10 share in the adults 18-49 demographic, a 16 percent rise over last week and the night's top performer in the demographic. It had 9 million total viewers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-tvratingstre8101yf-20120201,0,5216496.story

some gifs and black or white morph scene

tumblr_lyqjktH70i1qgrxsfo5_250.gif

tumblr_lyqjktH70i1qgrxsfo6_250.gif

tumblr_lyqieeWqHm1r18vaxo1_500.gif

The reviews have been pretty good and the show was the #1 show of the night? I liked it and I never watch glee. I was wondering why that lady Sue wasn't on.

Since the Warblers got the go ahead to perform MJ at regionals, and their rendition of I want you back was cut from the episode, I hope that means we'll get to see another MJ performance at their regionals episode.

Hey Ivy, thanks for posting those last vids. I didn't see the entire show so I missed a couple songs that they performed. Thanks.:)

Aaahh! For the L.O.V.E of Michael. :)

if anyone is interested, I did a song by song live blog update on my blog, Life of an MJ FanGirl :yes: i personally loved how they did the Jackson 5 Songs, especially Ben!

GLEE WONT STOP TIL IT GETS ENOUGH: Coming off its Michael Jackson week, Fox’s Glee sold 405,773 new tracks at iTunes with 10 songs, the highest sales week of new songs in over a year since the episode after the 2011 Super Bowl, when it sold 406,133 from new songs. All 10 tracks are in the Top 30 of iTunes Songs Chart. In addition, the “Michael” episode was the most watched of the season, with over 9.07 million viewers. With 108k downloads, “Smooth Criminal” becomes the third highest debut for a Glee song to date for Season 3 (following #1 “Rumor Has It/Someone Like You” with 160k on Nov. 20 last year, and “We Are Young, which debuted at #2 with 137k on Dec. 11, 2011. (2/6p)

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi

Back