HD Short Films

I've recently seen stuff about a process called "machine learning". Not entirely sure how it works outside of needing some expensive software and a super-powerful computer. There's a guy out there who tried this with some footage from the series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Here's his blog post detailing how to do it: https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/05/tutorial-upscaling-video-with-topaz-ai.html

And here's one of a few videos he's done showing the results (NOTE: may have spoilers for the series):

I wonder if someone could try to do that with all of Michael's videos? I'd try to, but I don't know if my computer could handle the workload.

I've recently seen stuff about a process called "machine learning". Not entirely sure how it works outside of needing some expensive software and a super-powerful computer. There's a guy out there who tried this with some footage from the series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Here's his blog post detailing how to do it: https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2019/05/tutorial-upscaling-video-with-topaz-ai.html

And here's one of a few videos he's done showing the results (NOTE: may have spoilers for the series):

I wonder if someone could try to do that with all of Michael's videos? I'd try to, but I don't know if my computer could handle the workload.

Yeah that's called "upscaling" by creating new pixels. Samsung use a complex algorythm on their 8K TV's to do that. It is not necessary on videos shot on film because they can already be restored from the original camera negatives.

Last edited:
Yeah that's called "upscaling" by creating new pixels. Samsung use a complex algorythm on their 8K TV's to do that. It is not necessary on videos shot on film because they can already be restored from the original camera negatives.

That's assuming the Estate still has the original negatives (I'm assuming they would) and/or wants to invest the money into doing so. Only time will tell if they will do that or not. If they don't, the fans could step in and do it themselves using the method I linked to above and with the best sources available. The guy that upscaled the DS9 footage had to use DVD rips because that's the best quality possible for the series, and because CBS will likely never remaster the entire show due to the remaster of The Next Generation not meeting their sales goals. There was a documentary about DS9 that debuted in theaters a few months ago that features some remastered footage, but the guy making the documentary had to front the money himself to get the footage upscaled because CBS wouldn't do it themselves.

this isn't a short film, but it looks hd to me. i'm not sure of the technical aspects, but this is the best quality I've seen :) the audience is muted though..

this isn't a short film, but it looks hd to me. i'm not sure of the technical aspects, but this is the best quality I've seen :) the audience is muted though..
IMO its same quality as Thriller 25 DVD

Someone just boosted the contrast with a software and called the video "Remastered". Lot of folks do that to gain more views.
It is still SD and will always be, as it was shot on video tape (and not film).

this is better quality than what's on the official channel. whether it really is hd or not, I don't know..

^lol. I'll explain that to you. The Vision DVD really ruined some music videos, and that's the source they used for MJ's official YT channel. Billie Jean looks way better in History Vol I DVD, which is where that other vid is sourced from.

The estate will be creating a new 4K Ultra HD package of MJ's top music videos. Likely in 2020 or 2021. I've been told its on their list.

The estate will be creating a new 4K Ultra HD package of MJ's top music videos. Likely in 2020 or 2021. I've been told its on their list.

Top music videos? What does that mean, that we will only get a few select videos?..

this is better quality than what's on the official channel. whether it really is hd or not, I don't know..

As Hulkamaniac posted, it's the same one than History Vol I, it uses a better encoding than Vision. There is no HD/4K content on the market yet (except Thriller but it hasn't been realised yet).

Well, they certainly can not include the OTW era music videos as they were shot on tape.

I guess they will just upscale those shot on tape and that's it.

Last edited:
Someone memtioned that billie jean was shot on 16mm so 1080p is the max. Thats fine anyway. Anything is an improvement at this point. An HD short film package would be nice if this is true.

travis3000;4265194 said:

That’s good news if true. What is your source exactly?

I would like a source too?

Even though it does sound realistic they wanna convert it to HD I would like The Estate to confirm it.

Back