Heaven Can Wait, Like It Or Not?

Heaven Can Wait

• Like It

Votes: 39 84.8%
  • Don't Like It

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
Never knew this. Is there a source? Is it from an interview or something? Would like to read more about it.
Yes, I too would like to know, how do you know this?
It is just the usual, wild speculations from some fans who speak as if they had been in the studio next to MJ & his producers during certain recording sessions.

I can say that because I can listen to an earlier session.

MJ strained his voice during the recording sessions for this song and it actually broke. They eventually cut out most of the screaming takes.

That's interesting. It would explain why it feels as if he's really reaching for those high notes and not hitting them effortlessly and organically as he had done on songs before. Nevertheless the song is a standout on Vince and I am so glad that he got to record some mellow soulfoul music again.

Last edited:

I never ment to imply you lie or anything - I am just actully very intrested in reading more about it. It's very interesting. It has always interested me to hear about MJ in the studio and how he worked - also with his voice.

Wasn't it Dirty Diana where he would record the verses one day and then train his voice for the "screaming" chorouses and record them another day. - All the high notes etc. Think I read or saw an interview once that mentioned that. - Would love to see a lot more studio footage - we have nearly nothing...

Love it! The ballads on Invincible are the highlights for me, with this one being one of my favorite ballads of his.

Korgnex;4186242 said:

As far as I know, nothing has come to light/been auctioned concerning early ‘Heaven Can Wait’ recording sessions.

It would help if you would be more specific.

Hess;4186260 said:
Wasn't it Dirty Diana where he would record the verses one day and then train his voice for the "screaming" chorouses and record them another day. - All the high notes etc. Think I read or saw an interview once that mentioned that. - Would love to see a lot more studio footage - we have nearly nothing...

It was indeed ‘Dirty Diana’ but also other songs as well with similar vocal style (like ‘She Was Loving Me’).

MJ was quoted as saying to Cory Rooney:

“I would like to sing the verses today because I’ve warmed my voice up for the low part. And then I’d like to sing the high chorus parts tomorrow, because when I’m doing songs and I’m screaming up, like a ‘Dirty Diana’ type of thing, I like to warm my voice up for that in particular” (Michael Jackson)

MJ’s characteristic way of recording his vocals on different days (for a given song that alternately required both low & screaming parts) can be also confirmed by his personal, long-time vocal coach Seth Riggs.

mj_frenzy;4186361 said:
As far as I know, nothing has come to light/been auctioned concerning early ‘Heaven Can Wait’ recording sessions.

It would help if you would be more specific.

I think it's not far to seek if it wasn't at a public auction, then I obtained it in private which I do most of the time.

"I know something you don't know" lol

I miss the faux insiders that used to pop up on MJJC. There was one, I can't remember his name now, and he used to tease us with loads of vague details of upcoming posthumous releases that never came to fruition as "plans changed"... anyone remember him??? What was he called?

God, I know who you're on about... Didnt he disappear around the time Damirren Shaveeldz was blacklisted?

MattyJam;4186568 said:
I miss the faux insiders that used to pop up on MJJC. There was one, I can't remember his name now, and he used to tease us with loads of vague details of upcoming posthumous releases that never came to fruition as "plans changed"... anyone remember him??? What was he called?

innuendo141;4186580 said:
God, I know who you're on about... Didnt he disappear around the time Damirren Shaveeldz was blacklisted?

You guys are referring to this guy:
smooth_criminal05

Hehe ;)

A funny quote from him for you to enjoy:
smooth_criminal05 said:
Just got off the phone with my source, thought I would update you guys. As of right now there are no breaking developments with the new album.

-Sony is waiting on the estate to finalize the tracklist.

-McClain is mostly in charge I'm told, and his team is going through the tracks trying to create a perfect album. (as perfect as you can get with out-takes and unreleased songs)

-Work has begun on the booklet with some pictures being selected.

-Sony is still deciding on what to do with these 12 songs founded last month that are not part of the deal. I'm told a deal could be made for them as early as next week or sometime in June. Apparently Sony is still going through the tracks which are being presented by Cascio. Some of the songs are "very MJ", written and composed solely by him with others co-written. While these tracks are not global smash hits, they are more for MJ fans with personal elements sprinkled all through the song. There are 12 100% completed songs. Considering how MJ's fan base has grown since his death, Sony is betting the songs will be hits but is approaching the purchase very carefully.

-I am told news of the songs will be made more public soon with a potential bidding war heating up. Cascio I am told is shopping around going to Universal, and even Live Nation as well as Sony looking for the best offer. If Sony wins, expect some of these tracks to hit the new album in November.

-The estate is aiming to have 10-12 songs on the new album still with a HUGE marketing campaign that is set to include a "phenomenal" internet presence, television ads, billboards, magazine ads, and other artists promoting it through television appearances, etc.

Oh, and another, lol :D :
smooth_criminal05 said:
For those who think this album is going to be promoted for 1-2 years with 6-7 singles... I hate to tell you that‘s not the way it‘s going to happen.

I was told they are likely only going to release 3 singles from MICHAEL, with the possibility of a 4th should the next two perform well. This is not your usual MJ album where it goes on for 2 years with 6-8 singles. It‘s a posthumous album which means it‘s more short lived. Expect big sales in December and moderate sales through January. After that, things will slow down. It‘s around this time (Spring 2011) where Sony and the estate are talking about MICHAEL-reloaded with 4-5 new songs and a brand new single to re-gain interest in the album. There is talk about a whole new album coming out sometime next year but that‘s not confirmed just talk.

Last edited:

That's how Chicago was recorded -- verses in one session, choruses in another -- but Diana very well may have done the same!

Yeah, he ain't been around for a long while. I remember classic lines, such as "sources close to me informed me that it isn't actually Michael singing on half of the "Michael" album and that Sony know it."

I remember when we were all speculating about the tracklist of "Michael" and he confirmed that "Hold My Hand won't be on the album."

When the tracklisting came out, he told me "plans change." lol

And you'd have these gulliable posters lapping up his every update, when he wasn't telling them anything that wasn't already common knowledge.

Ahhhh, those were the days...
Sounds like a lot of
Cp9jIuIUsAA4WUd.jpgsmall.jpg
Sad I missed it.:lol:

Lol I can't stop laughing. That smooth_criminal05 guy was hilarious. A shame I missed all the fun.

Heaven Can Wait

Should have been a single from Invincible.
It got some airplay on R&B radio, usually during the Quiet Storm program. I think it made the R&B chart in Billboard. I still hear it every once in awhile on the local "old school" R&B station.

It’s a ok song. But like most of the tracks on Vince it’s overdone. Most of the songs on the album could have been great but they are overproduced. I’m sure there is a demo that sounds much simpler, I would like to hear that.

Smooth72;4251647 said:
It’s a ok song. But like most of the tracks on Vince it’s overdone. Most of the songs on the album could hav been great but they are overproduced. I’m sure there is a demo that sounds much simpler, I would like to hear that.

Love, love this song. Love everything about it-lyrics, imagery, production, instrumentation.

Funny you should ask, I was just singing it right now as I made my cup of coffee o_O It's always been one of my favorites on the Invincible album.
My interpretation of it is that it's a song about his need to be there for his daughter, and that he knew that his health was getting worse already back then.
:heart:

Teddy Riley put it perfectly when he described Quincy Jones as being a quality control for MJ.

That lack of quality control was very apparent on the ‘Invincible’ album.

Quincy Jones would never have allowed songs like ‘Cry’, or ‘Don’t Walk Away’, or ‘The Lost Children’, or ‘You Are My Life’ to be included on the album.

Safira;4251770 said:
My interpretation of it is that it's a song about his need to be there for his daughter, and that he knew that his health was getting worse already back then.
:heart:

You are free to provide your own interpretations, but the ‘Heaven Can Wait’ song is about his need to be there for his supposed girlfriend.

Not about his need to be there for his daughter Paris.

‘Heaven Can Wait’ is the dark version of ‘Break Of Dawn’, & they are both erotic songs.

Notice also their sequence on the album's track list.

Besides, in ‘Heaven Can Wait’ MJ uses terms that a man uses for his girlfriend (& not a father for his daughter), such as the “babygirl" term.

Billboard

I just looked the song up and it got to #72 on the R&B chart. This is the issue after it started to fall, and it's #80. It's on page 26

Love the track. Since the beginning. Always compared it up against Break of Dawn.

Its not a bad song, I just have never really taken to it. Its always one I skip

mj_frenzy;4251785 said:
Teddy Riley put it perfectly when he described Quincy Jones as being a quality control for MJ.

That lack of quality control was very apparent on the ‘Invincible’ album.

Quincy Jones would never have allowed songs like ‘Cry’ .........to be included on the album.

Ibegyupardonwot?

I have to say, i've never really warmed to that song, but I do love everything else from "Invincible". I don't know why people dislike it.

When it comes to Michael there is no "I don't like that song". There is more like "I like others better". But I understood the meaning of the question and I voted "I don't like it". I find it pretty boring. I like You Are My Life better.

Back