HIStory 25 and Dangerous 30 release petition

The Prince Estate is releasing a Deluxe edition for "Sign O' The Times" (1,6 M copies sold) : 8 CD, 45 outtakes.

It costs like $159.98. I'm not sure if I would like to see anniversary editions like that. I wouldn't like if the only way get some songs or live DVD is to buy some expensive edition.

Prince

An 8 CD package, that's just ridiculous. I'm willing to bet that 6 of these cd's will be redundant. If those are really 45 finished songs I'm becoming a prince fan....
No. The songs are finished, some of them have come out on bootlegs. Prince's entire life was music. He didn't seem to have much of a life outside of music/entertainment. He was constantly recording. On the interview Prince did with Oprah, he said people tell him he needs to go to studio rehab. He would do a concert at a stadium for the general public, then often do another concert right after it at a club. That was a reason he generally didn't keep band members or recording engineers that long. They would get burned out. They were on call like a doctor. :rofl: Prince would call them at any time to record. This is also a reason Prince would play all the instruments on a lot of his songs, so he didn't have to worry about other bandmembers timetable.

Jimmy Jam said the difference in Prince & Michael working methods is that Prince would write, record, and mix a song in one day and Mike would spend an entire week on one drum track.

All I’m gonna say is this: remove the unreleased tracks and this box set is sorely disappointing. (Wasn’t the included concert already released?)

AlwaysThere;4295573 said:
All I’m gonna say is this: remove the unreleased tracks and this box set is sorely disappointing. (Wasn’t the included concert already released?)
No. There is a Sign O' The Times concert film that was released to movie theaters, but it's not this concert. It has a lot of older songs. The only songs in the concert movie are songs from this album plus a couple of lines from Little Red Corvette & a Charlie Parker song (Now's The Time). Everything on this deluxe album is previously unreleased except the main album and the 12" versions, single edits, & B-sides. And most of those have never been on CD. They've been newly remastered for this set. For some reason the Sign O' The Times concert film has never been released on DVD/Blu Ray in the USA, but has in Japan, Australia, & Germany. I think in Canada too, but not sure. It's only been on VHS & laserdisc in the USA. It's not going to be this box set either, but it's not owned by the estate and they have no control over the movie. It might be why they're using this alternate concert. If Prince owned the movie when he was alive, I doubt it would have come out on DVD anywhere.

DVD: Live At Paisley Park – December 31, 1987 (previously unreleased)
1 Sign O’ The Times
2 Play In The Sunshine
3 Little Red Corvette
4 Erotic City
5 Housequake
6 Slow Love
7 Do Me, Baby
8 Adore
9 I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
10 What’s Your Name Jam
11 Let’s Pretend We’re Married
12 Delirious
13 Jack U Off
14 Drum Solo
15 Twelve
16 Hot Thing
17 If I Was Your Girlfriend
18 Let’s Go Crazy
19 When Doves Cry
20 Purple Rain
21 1999
22 U Got The Look
23 It’s Gonna Be A Beautiful Night Medley (featuring Miles Davis)

Galactus123;4295561 said:
It costs like $159.98. I'm not sure if I would like to see anniversary editions like that. I wouldn't like if the only way get some songs or live DVD is to buy some expensive edition.

Expensive? You do realise the This Is It box set with absolutely NO new content was priced at like £500?

I wouldn't hesitate to pay dollar for content. I'm not paying through the nose for a fancy piece of plastic and cardboard.

AlwaysThere;4295573 said:

It doesn't surprise me one bit that you'd put a negative spin on this.

And it's not about who left more unreleased finished (or nearly finished) songs. At all.

I would pay 500 dollars for new music. but even then i probably wouldn't because that would be too expensive for me.

Over 300!
Isaac Rowley
United Kingdom
Jun 26, 2020 —
We've reached over 300 signatures now thanks to all of you guys! I hope to get to 500 by next week and hopefully we will reach a high number so we can submit to the estate to get our voices heard! Thanks all again and enjoy your day/night

It boggles my mind that people are still comparing Michael's estate with Prince's in terms of unreleased material.

We can debate the quality of the projects no doubt. But it's a well-established fact that Prince left behind hundreds upon hundreds of finished songs that are just waiting to be released. Michael didn't; there's a finite number left, and all available evidence suggests that the exact number is less than two dozen. I'm not arguing that the Estate hasn't taken their sweet time between releases, nor that there aren't other tracks to release (demos, alternate version, etc.), but it's completely asinine and nonsensical to say, "Prince's Estate has released SO MUCH MORE brand-new music than Michael's!" Yeah, because they have that luxury.

Nobody asked the Estate to give us 45 outtakes on HIStory 25, but they could release more than new merch.

I'd be happy if they released a Bad 25 style box set with the original album + a second disc with one or two outtakes and the demos of the songs that are on HIStory. They could also release a concert (even though a lot of people hate the tour). And a documentary would also be nice.

This isn't impossible to do!

ChrisC;4295625 said:
It doesn't surprise me one bit that you'd put a negative spin on this.

And it's not about who left more unreleased finished (or nearly finished) songs. At all.

I’m just pointing out that everyone is applauding a release that is incredibly mediocre outside of the unreleased songs, just because it’s the Prince estate and not MJ’s. It’s incredibly hypocritical in my opinion.

dethorro;4295779 said:
Nobody asked the Estate to give us 45 outtakes on HIStory 25, but they could release more than new merch.

I'd be happy if they released a Bad 25 style box set with the original album + a second disc with one or two outtakes and the demos of the songs that are on HIStory. They could also release a concert (even though a lot of people hate the tour). And a documentary would also be nice.

This isn't impossible to do!

A documentary would be a multi-million dollar production, for an album that most of the general public doesn’t have interest in. Absolutely not worth it (though I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing it).

Again, what we want isn’t always what’s feasible. Not saying the Estate shouldn’t do anything for H25, but if you’re gonna criticize them, be objective. Most people aren’t.

AlwaysThere;4295780 said:
I’m just pointing out that everyone is applauding a release that is incredibly mediocre outside of the unreleased songs, just because it’s the Prince estate and not MJ’s. It’s incredibly hypocritical in my opinion.

Come on now, you'd be first in line to give them a hearty old slap on the back if they did something like that for Michael.

I'm sure we would have seen something new if LN never happened. It caught us all by surprise.
I don't see the point though in physical compilation albums or anniversaries. Albums don't sell anymore.
3 new (old) songs per year, release them on radio/spotify and see what happens. That's what I would do. It's cheap and the best possibly advertising there is for Michael the artist. When eventually every song is released (probably only about 20 songs are left in a releasable state) package them in an album.

I'm personally not interested in songs that are only completed for 30%, I'd pick concert releases over that by far or documentaries with lots of studio footage. Some of the stuff Brad showed the audience like childhood in the studio or the jamming session that lead to give in to me, those things are interesting.

AlwaysThere;4295780 said:
I’m just pointing out that everyone is applauding a release that is incredibly mediocre outside of the unreleased songs
tumblr_nfd8h063Iy1qg5o2oo1_500.gifv

ChrisC;4295781 said:
Come on now, you'd be first in line to give them a hearty old slap on the back if they did something like that for Michael.

Not really. I’d applaud them for the new music, certainly. But the disc of single edits and B-sides is completely irrelevant, and the concert doesn’t interest me.

As stated, other than the amount of unreleased material offered, this project is basically Bad 25, except instead of a handful of previously released tracks, it’s an entire disc. I’m sounding like a broken record here, but the whole “Prince’s estate knows how to do stuff” argument falls apart once you subtract the new music. It’s fine to be excited, but no objective person can say they’re doing anything exceedingly better than the MJ Estate.

Wembley was released "unedited" because of the fan campaign wanting it untouched. They didnt want something like bucharests editing. I dont think starting a petition is greedy at all. Estate gives us peanuts.

AlwaysThere;4295790 said:
I’m sounding like a broken record here, but the whole “Prince’s estate knows how to do stuff” argument falls apart once you subtract the new music. It’s fine to be excited, but no objective person can say they’re doing anything exceedingly better than the MJ Estate.

In ten years they didn't even bother to properly reissue his discography... Where's BOTDF/Ultimate Collection/History on vinyl ? Let's not even talk about the shitty picture discs.
They didn't bother to release the original versions of the songs on "Michael". They didn't bother to properly remaster the originals songs on "Xscape"
They didn't took time and money to properly catalogue his unreleased music, half of the originals producers aren't willing to work with the MJ Estate.
They released 3 fake songs.
They released a chalk when they could have put stuff on OTW 30 (She's Out Of My Life demo ? Sunset Driver ? Hello ??).

They don't care about his music, they don't care about his legacy as a musician. Michael Jackson is not a trademark, he was an artist.

I'm not gonna bother listing what was done in just 3 years in term of Prince's music. As others said you're just stuck in this old-ass MJ VS Prince war. Believe it or not they had immense respect for each other.

In the meantime....
the Super Deluxe edition of SIGN OF THE TIMES by Prince, will feature 92 audio tracks, 63 previously unreleased, spanning eight CDs or 13 LPs.
An accompanying DVD features a concert video spanning over two hours, recorded at Paisley Park on Dec. 31, 1987. In addition to being a stellar performance overall, that show is also famed among fans for being Prince’s only onstage collaboration with Miles Davis.
According to a press release, a 120-page hardcover book in the Super Deluxe edition includes photos and handwritten lyrics.

https://blog.thecurrent.org/2020/06...wbxEHqBWTDzNClxtp6elG0FWm8k5QMp_TtF64l66R8e6M

The MJ Estate could easily release a HIStory or Dangerous Deluxe Edition + DVD + booklet with unseen photos. They simpy don't want to do it.

Re: The Jacksons Legacy

If people want a picture book, The Jacksons Legacy still exists. :D It's not that old, it came out in 2017.
81riBPlJpSL.jpg

MJ's Estate has tons of unreleased pictures and stills from Michael solo era, e.g. unseen photoshoot during Leave Me Alone shootings. I've seen a lot of those pictures on MJJMagazine issues
To me, a booklet with handwritten notes from MJ would be really appreciated.

MJJExpert;4295833 said:
MJ's Estate has tons of unreleased pictures and stills from Michael solo era, e.g. unseen photoshoot during Leave Me Alone shootings. I've seen a lot of those pictures on MJJMagazine issues
To me, a booklet with handwritten notes from MJ would be really appreciated.

Apparently John McClain wanted to release “In His Own Words,” which would’ve been filled with handwritten notes and unseen pictures, back in 2009, but Branca held him back. I think this would be an amazing release. Evidently there are tons of handwritten notes where MJ critiques his own performances (e.g. Motown 25), which I think would be fascinating to see.

AlwaysThere;4295850 said:
Apparently John McClain wanted to release “In His Own Words,” which would’ve been filled with handwritten notes and unseen pictures, back in 2009, but Branca held him back. I think this would be an amazing release. Evidently there are tons of handwritten notes where MJ critiques his own performances (e.g. Motown 25), which I think would be fascinating to see.

The big question is always where to draw the line when it comes to publishing things that weren’t meant to be public. In my opinion, publishing some of these in a respectful way would be important, akin to the correspondence between Goethe and Schiller, or Vincent van Gogh and his brother Theo. It’s a part of history, and a lot could be learned about the artist and the man.

EDIT: I also think that this is something that the family, especially the children, should decide. Not the Estate.

Last edited:
ScreenOrigami;4295851 said:
The big question is always where to draw the line when it comes to publishing things that weren’t meant to be public. In my opinion, publishing some of these in a respectful way would be important, akin to the correspondence between Goethe and Schiller, or Vincent van Gogh and his brother Theo. It’s a part of history, and a lot could be learned about the artist and the man.

EDIT: I also think that this is something that the family, especially the children, should decide. Not the Estate.

That also crossed my mind. Posthumous releases of any kind generate controversy over morality concerns (i.e., would the artist want you to do this? Do they want the world to see this?), and publishing Michael’s personal thoughts might be a step too far. The fan in me would love to see it, but I can see where there would be a level of discomfort.

AlwaysThere;4295859 said:
That also crossed my mind. Posthumous releases of any kind generate controversy over morality concerns (i.e., would the artist want you to do this? Do they want the world to see this?), and publishing Michael’s personal thoughts might be a step too far. The fan in me would love to see it, but I can see where there would be a level of discomfort.

I’m convinced that MJ read everything he could find by his favorite artists, too. Or do you think he hasn’t read Michelangelo’s letters, out of concern for the artist’s privacy? Such documents offer invaluable insights into an artist’s life and work, but have to be handled with greatest care. Then they can become part of the legacy. :)

Wembley was released "unedited" because of the fan campaign wanting it untouched. They didnt want something like bucharests editing. I dont think starting a petition is greedy at all. Estate gives us peanuts.

I'm glad it was released mostly unedited. Also I don't think they could have edited it much. That could be the only video they have of that concert.

Estate could release handwritten notes about music or other projects, not the private ones.

They don't care about his music, they don't care about his legacy as a musician. Michael Jackson is not a trademark, he was an artist.
Exactly. Ignoring Michaels artistic vision, discarding his %99 finished music but instead releasing brand new from scratch created music around Michaels vocals is criminally disrespectful.

Back