HIStory 25: What do we want?

AO98

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's History album will officially turn 25 in the year 2020. I know there hasn't been anything to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Dangerous, but I wouldn't give up. Since the Off the Wall reissue came out two years too late, I think there is a small possibility that we may see a Dangerous 25 package next year in 2017. Maybe not, but we have to hope and you never know what could happen.

Anyway, back on topic, History 25 will be in 2020. I remember reading a thread about a third Michael Jackson documentary after Bad 25 and Journey from Motown to Off the Wall. Spike Lee has stated that he wants to do one on Thriller so that he will have a trilogy of documentaries centered on Michael's three albums with Quincy Jones. However, many of us fans want to see documentaries on his other albums (Dangerous, History and Invincible). And John Branca, co-executor of Michael's Estate, has stated himself that he wants a History documentary since he feels that was Michael's most unappreciated album.

For a while now, there's been rumors of a possible History Tour theatrical release in 3D (which I don't support by the way) and now that Branca is interested in a History documentary, I think there is a great chance that we may see History receive its 25th anniversary celebration when it hits that number in 2020. Of course Dangerous 25 will probably have to come first, but still, we have plenty of time. Anyway, I'm here today to ask you guys what would you like to see happen for History 25?

1.) History 25 Album:
Consisting of disc two of the original album (completely removing the greatest hits disc) and a new CD consisting of the five original tracks from Blood on the Dance Floor ("BOODF", "Morphine", "Superfly Sister", "Ghosts" and "Is It Scary"), "On the Line" and five all-new unreleased songs from the History sessions: "Humanity" (I read that this was written and recorded for a new Jacksons album that was shelved, so it's possible Michael may have recorded this with his brothers), "Bassouille", "Face", "Fear", "Not Guilty" and "We Be Ballin" (ft. Ice Cube and Shaq).

Also included --- the original demos to Earth Song ("What About Us") and Little Susie ("Susie"), the live audio of "Elizabeth, I Love You" from Elizabeth Taylor's 75th Birthday Celebration, the early demo version of "Ghosts". And two bonus tracks: "Why" and "I Need You", Michael's two songs with 3T.

2.) History Tour - Live in Hawaii 1997:
As I said above, I'm not really in favor of seeing the History Tour in theaters in 3D, but I am interested in seeing one of the shows, a show we haven't seen before, receive a physical release, specifically for this celebration. The show I would like to see released would be Honolulu. As you may or may not know, Michael performed two sold-out shows of the tour at the Aloha Stadium in Honolulu on January 3rd and 4th respectively. He was the first artist to ever sell out to Aloha Stadium and they were his last solo performances in the USA. What I think they should do is take footage from both shows and combine them together into a compilation show called "History Tour: Live in Hawaii" or something like that, and release it on Blu-ray and DVD as part of the deluxe History 25 set and its own release like Wembley 1988. But no 3D or anything.

Bonus features I would include with this show are --- "Blood on the Dance Floor" from Bremen 1997 with the red jacket, any performance of "Come Together / D.S.", Michael's birthday surprise in Denmark and an all-new documentary giving us a behind-the-scenes look at the tour using interviews, rehearsal footage, that kind of stuff.

3.) A History documentary:
If Spike Lee won't agree to direct this, then pass the torch over to either Prince or Taj Jackson, both are said to be interested in filmmaking and surely wouldn't pass an opportunity like this. The documentary would have to talk about the entire process of not only the History album but the Blood on the Dance Floor album and Ghosts as well. Other topics including how the media treated him at the time and social issues like racism and injustice that are the key themes of his songs will have to be discussed as well.

People who I would like to see interviewed include...well, obviously Branca, Joseph Vogel and probably Questlove are gonna be interviewed since they were interviewed in the last two documentaries. But I would like to also see people who worked on the album with Michael --- Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis, Bruce Swedien, R Kelly, Dallas Austin, Bill Bottrell, Spike Lee (whether he wants to direct this or not, he still directed "TDCAU"), Shaquille O Neal (for his "2Bad" rap) and many others. They can also use archive footage of Stephen King being interviewed for "Ghosts" if they have any.

Family members who I wanna see interviewed are Janet, 3T and Prince and Paris (since they were born around the History era). And I also want to see Lisa Marie Presley and her two eldest children, Riley and Ben Keough, since Michael's marriage to Lisa was a big part of the History era and because she was in the "You Are Not Alone" video. In addition, I would like to hear from Riley and Ben what it was like having Michael Jackson as a stepfather.

There's probably others I'm missing, but I can't list everyone so we'll stop there.

4.) History: The Short Films
Just like Dangerous, History deserves its own Blu-ray/DVD release of short films and live performances from the era including "Scream", both versions of "TDCAU", "Stranger in Moscow", "Earth Song", "You Are Not Alone", "Childhood", "Blood on the Dance Floor", "Why", the VMAs 95 performance and of course the full-length, record-breaking version of "Ghosts" directed by Stephen King. Those are just to name a few. There's so many others, I can't think.

Anyway, that's all I can really think of for right now. If I have any other ideas, I'll be sure to update the post.

But anyway, what would you like to see happen for History 25? What do you want to see? Let me know. Leave your thoughts and thank you very much :)

MAJOR UPDATES:

* I removed the greatest hits disc from the album since I agree it's not really necessary for History 25.

* I agree that the rehearsal footage for One Night Only should be made available. I don't know how I forgot about that though.

* Like Bad 25, I wanna see History 25 receive a big deluxe collector's set of his own with all that cool memorabilia and everything like a replica ticket to Honolulu 1997, a 7" single of "Scream"/"Childhood" (the first single from History), one of those old History-era T-shirts. Those are just to name a few things.

* Although I still haven't thought of anyone else I'd like to see in the documentary if there ever was one, I still stick by my word that 3T, Janet, Prince and Paris, Lisa-Marie and her children Riley and Ben should be interviewed. And if Spike Lee refuses to direct it, pass the torch along to either Prince or Taj. They're both inspiring filmmakers from what I understand and I'm sure they wouldn't pass an opportunity like this.

* Although the History-era videos and performances should in fact be given their own release, I agree Ghosts should receive its own release too with behind-the-scenes footage and everything.

Last edited:
One Night Only Rehearsals

But at this point it doesn't look like Dangerous 25 is going to happen (Hope I'm wrong). So the chances of HIStory 25 are very slim

Last edited:
I wouldn't put the first disc into the set. It would almost be like commemorating a greatest hits with an anniversary release.

If we're looking at a 25th anniversary just include disc 2, I say.

either Prague concert or august 29 Copenhagen concert

Give the 2nd disc the official "album status" that it seems to have lacked in the public and media for years.l I remember reading promo articles about Invincible stating it was his first full album since Dangerous.

IF HIStory was to be re-released (which I actually don't think it should, the CD is already perfect and doesnt need remastering) then I would rather a standalone single abum be released ( I already have the 2011 Italian release, but has the awful edited versions of TDCAU and HIStory) with a lovely book. A re-release of the vinyl LP would be great because they are going for over €100.00 at the moment.

If it;s released, I hope they dont muck up the mastering like they have done with Thriller 25, Bad 25 and OTW 2016. So loud. HIStory is one of the most perfect CD releases audio wise. It's untouchable.

The chances of a History25 are nonexistent even in the event that Dangerous25 ends up happening. But just for fun...

Demos/unreleased tracks are essential for any sort of reissue or anniversary package to be worth purchasing - specifically the 1989-90 original recording of "They Don't Care About Us" or the 1978 cut of "Little Susie". Hell, even one of the hotel room recordings of Michael humming the melody to "Earth Song" from 1988 would be intriguing. The current understanding is that very little recorded material is left over from the History sessions, and most of what does consists of discarded instrumental tracks. Nevertheless, include whatever may be of any sort of value to the community. "Willing and Waiting" and "Changes" are the most desirable in my book. Cut the greatest hits disc entirely, make the core album Disc 1, and a trove of bonus material as disc 2.

A genuine effort should also be made to locate the One Night Only rehearsal footage if they don't have access to it as of now (which is a high probability) and edited into a documentary-style film in the vein of This Is It (i.e., the estate's strongest project thus far in terms of sheer execution). The talk of a Clockwork Orange "Dangerous" arrangement and new concepts for "Thriller" are top tier.

I would like to refrain from posting a long-winded rant, so I'll keep this blunt: do not under any circumstances include a History tour performance in full or part.

1. Album (without the greatest hits part).
2. Demos + the 5 original songs on BOTDF (to me HIStory and BOTDF thematically belong together).
3. HD release of Ghosts + Making of with all the leaked and unleaked "never before seen" videos of its making.
4. One Night Only (I like AlwaysThere's idea about how it could be similarly done to TII).

5. Promote it with a documentary. You can tell it is not Spike Lee's fave album so he is probably not the best to do this. Give it to someone who "gets" this album. I think if done well this could be the most awesome documentary, because the album (and BOTDF) thematically is more exciting than OTW, Thriller or Bad. So much can be said about it. But I hope they will approach it well and won't ignore or neglect themes that the album addresses just because it is controversial, but at the same time I hope they will approach it with proper knowledge of those themes and from MJ's POV, not from some cynical tabloid perspective - after all it's him addressing those topics. His POV, his HIStory.

Well first and foremost I want news that there would be a HIStory 25... Lets start there!

1. Album (without the greatest hits part).
2. Demos + the 5 original songs on BOTDF (to me HIStory and BOTDF thematically belong together).
3. HD release of Ghosts + Making of with all the leaked and unleaked "never before seen" videos of its making.
4. One Night Only (I like AlwaysThere's idea about how it could be similarly done to TII).

5. Promote it with a documentary. You can tell it is not Spike Lee's fave album so he is probably not the best to do this. Give it to someone who "gets" this album. I think if done well this could be the most awesome documentary, because the album (and BOTDF) thematically is more exciting than OTW, Thriller or Bad. So much can be said about it. But I hope they will approach it well and won't ignore or neglect themes that the album addresses just because it is controversial, but at the same time I hope they will approach it with proper knowledge of those themes and from MJ's POV, not from some cynical tabloid perspective - after all it's him addressing those topics. His POV, his HIStory.

This. Just this.

A genuine effort should also be made to locate the One Night Only rehearsal footage if they don't have access to it as of now (which is a high probability) and edited into a documentary-style film in the vein of This Is It (i.e., the estate's strongest project thus far in terms of sheer execution). The talk of a Clockwork Orange "Dangerous" arrangement and new concepts for "Thriller" are top tier.

A One Night Only movie in the style of This Is It? I can definitely get behind that. I'll even stand in line to buy tickets :)

innuendo141;4162324 said:
A re-release of the vinyl LP would be great because they are going for over €100.00 at the moment.
why so much?

There must be tons of footage from virtually all of his MVs from the HIStory era that could be each compiled into BTS documentaries for each short film.

The only way I'd want them to re release HIStory on vinyl is if it actually sounded any good this time. Pretty sure the original sounded pretty crap.

Not many pressed at the time I guess. BOTDF is also really expensive.

A lot of vinyl from the mid-90s to the very early part of 2000s is extremely hard to find unless a repress has been done at some stage. Demand for vinyl during this period hit rock bottom. There's a couple of Bruce Springsteen albums I've been trying to get from this time and they also command extremely high prices.

The only way I'd want them to re release HIStory on vinyl is if it actually sounded any good this time. Pretty sure the original sounded pretty crap.

it does sound crap. I haven't listened to mine in 20 years, but I'll never forget how horrible it sounded when I played it

Michaels Lover;4162475 said:
it does sound crap. I haven't listened to mine in 20 years, but I'll never forget how horrible it sounded when I played it

Can't imagine how anything could ever have topped the first CD pressing. It sounds majestic. Probably the best Ive ever heard MJ.

Still...... I need that vinyl........ €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Damn. So glad I never shelled out for it when I was buying vinyl (stopped buying because $$$). The packaging seemed pretty cool from what I remember, and didn't it actually include a full, "vinyl-sized" version of the HIStory booklet? I love it when records do that :)

Damn. So glad I never shelled out for it when I was buying vinyl (stopped buying because $$$). The packaging seemed pretty cool from what I remember, and didn't it actually include a full, vinyl-sized version of the HIStory booklet? I love it when records do that :)

Yeah it looks gorgeous. I've only started recently, hence my request for a decent re-release! I have a BOTDF 12 inch single and it sounds GLORIOUS so if done properly, songs like Scream, Tabloid Junkie and 2Bad would be majestic

I have the vinyl version box set and it is amazing in terms of having everything in that size!

With that said "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" should not be released without "HIStory Begins" a.k.a. the "Greatest Hits". That is vital in terms of the idea and concept of the project. I am sorry if there is anyone out there that struggle with purchasing a two c.d. set or a few vinyl records. Those people should probably not be buying entertainment if that is the case. I do know that "HIStory Continues" got its own single compact disc release already a few years ago in certain territories (I think Mexico and at least one country in Europe) so on some level it has been done and I guess it could be ordered off of the internet for anyone not in those territories. I don't know if it was a limited edition or what and I can't read the Spanish on it but I think the Mexican one states that it was to promote their "Kind Of Pop" compilation. I don't really understand that but whatever. I personally hope it goes out of print though for the previous first stated reason.

Otherwise "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" needs to be released as a four vinyl set in particular for it to get the best sound quality possible at that speed on that minimum amount of discs. It was released as a three vinyl set originally because vinyl records were not selling anymore in particular compared to compact discs. So it was cheapest for them to do it as such. But this is the world's best selling multi-disc set so it should be a safe release to give it its over due and proper vinyl box set release.

I am not interested in having to buy yet another GH album just to get to H25. Totally unnecessary cost for the buyer IMO.
There are so many things to do with HIStory that in themselves could take up several CDs and it needs to be made as cost effective to the buyer as possible. And the media have alreay put enough focus on the GH part. This project shouldn't be about Billie Jean or Thriller for the #1511733th time. The focus should be on the actual meat of the HIStory album.

Lol. It's not about what you want! The idea is to make as much money as possible! SO since we are talking about a re-issue it would not make sense to include "This Is It" when it is "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I". Honey boo you are talking about a different kind of release.

This is such an easy one what with One Night Only and Ghosts needing proper releases.

And include a mini statue if you like!

I think the "music home videos" that correspond to what the project was at the time should be released in a package with "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I". There were four of them. "Video Greatest Hits: HIStory - Volume I", "The HIStory World Tour 1996 Live! At Olympic Stadium, Seoul South Korea", "HIStory - On Film II", and "Michael Jackson's Ghosts". I just don't think that should wait until a 25th anniversary. A 25th Anniversary would eventually go out of print and would just be a limited edition and a fully available version of "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I" should have the original "music home videos" with it. A 25th Anniversary version could have other goodies in it like some are talking about, eh!

Lol. It's not about what you want! The idea is to make as much money as possible! SO since we are talking about a re-issue it would not make sense to include "This Is It" when it is "HIStory: Past, Present, And Future - BOOK I". Honey boo you are talking about a different kind of release.

Who said anything about including This Is It? Maybe you should read again what was actually written before you hit that condescending tone again. (I am not your "honey boo". So cut that please. Thanks.)

Putting 10 CDs and DVDs/Blu-rays in a release just for the sake of it won't automatically make it generate huge money. In fact, it would most probably massively backfire. It needs to be constructed such that it remains cost effective for the buyer and has a good price-value ratio. People are not gonna spend a fortune on it, in a market where CDs generally hardly sell any more - not even MJ fans. It should remain cost effective and interesting enough. Including the GH part only pushes up the costs unnecessarily and thus scares off buyers. There are at least 2-3 MJ GH albums on the market - and better ones than the GH compilation on HIStory (which has no Smooth Criminal!). This would be totally unnecessary IMO.

Last edited:
Lol. It's not about what you want! The idea is to make as much money as possible!

i stopped reading after this line. This is absolutely everything that is wrong with the idea of what to do with Michaels music.

Music before money.

And also, this thread is SPECIFICALLY about what each person would like to see, so it is exactly about what one wants.

Also This Is It on. HIStory release is demented.

Back