“Hollywood Tonight” VIDEO premieres NOW

If anything, I don't think the video was dark and controversial enough...It's a serious issue and the video didn't touch on the dark downside of Hollywood, hence, Michael's message in the lyrics..

If anything, I don't think the video was dark and controversial enough...It's a serious issue and the video didn't touch on the dark downside of Hollywood, hence, Michael's message in the lyrics..

this is true. I wasn't hopping for "hope" in this video :p

Last edited:
this is true. I was hopping for "hope" in this video :p

She's giving hot tricks to men just to get in...therefore, prostituting herself....she seems pretty happy despite that! lol..it was more a glamourization of Hollywood...it didn't stay true to his lyrics...

She's giving hot tricks to men just to get in...therefore, prostituting herself....she seems pretty happy despite that! lol..it was more a glamourization of Hollywood...it didn't stay true to his lyrics...

I typed wrong, I meant I WASN'T hopping :D
I agree with you completely :yes:

noirnoar;3289883 said:
In my opinion "Who is it" video cannot be compared with "Hollywood Tonight". "Who is it" is very artistic, classy, sensual, dark, intrigue, beautiful, masterpiece short film by great director David Fincher. "Hollywood Tonigh" looks really cheap-amateurly compare to "Who is it". Besides, story line in "Who is it" is not straightforward as in "Hollywood Tonigh". I remember there were a lot of talks what was the video about. Whilst "Hollywood Tonigh" video is not that hard to figure it out.

I so much agree!!!
Hollywood Tonight looks like something Michael wouldn't have done. He could make it more better than this video. And PCR, we do have respect for his art. But Hollywood Tonight is not his art, since he didn't make this video.

AndreyZidane™;3289803 said:
I like how Teddy Rilley calls it "Billy Jean" and types in caps AS IF HE FEELS THE NEED TO SCREAM WHEN BITCHING ABOUT HOW THEY DIDN'T USE HIS MIX!

Teddy Rilley needs to stop bitching and moaning. We get it, you don't like the BJ mix, you have the right to not like it but seriously calm down...

He really needs to stop bitching and moaning, just because he don't get his will. He's like a baby.

I mean...He's not here to do these videos, so whatever we get will always be someone else's work...However, to stay true to his legacy, artistry, and songwriting skills, I wish they would have respected his message and vision and carry that out in the video...It's not that difficult! Just look at his handwritten lyrics for this song..It's not a happy, go lucky song...It's deep, and dark, and portrays how sinister Hollywood really is...I don't get that vibe in the video at all...That's why I say he's much more than a hat and a glove and a dancer...Don't suffocate his artistry and what he stands for..he's a profound songwriter, and he already doesn't get enough credit for that aspect of his genius... I'm happy for the raw vocals in the audio, though...Love his raw, unprocessed voice...

I think some people blow the comment about the stripper out of proportion. I follow this thread and read almost all posts. I don't see people saying they are offended by the sexual nature of the scene. Some people feel the stripper and bar scenes seem to "glorify" the struggles the woman had on her way to stardom. People have issue on the message behind, not on the sexual nature of stripping and clubing.

Fans of Michael know how sexy and sensual Michael was. Yes, Michael Jackson was the sexiest and classiest performer. On stage, he was able to turn millions of women and men on while staying fully dressed. The videos of In the Closet and Black or White are sexy and classy. Most of us are fully aware of Michael's sexuality and are comfortable with it.

The video of Who Is It is so underrated. The story line is intriguing. The high class prostitude is so mysterious. Michael had respect in women. He didn't portray the prostitude in a disrespectful way. The prostitude seems to have a double identity. Is she a spy? Who really is she? There is so much depth to the story. Also, the imagery of the video is just beautiful. Compare to Who Is It, the video of Hollywood Tonight seems blank.

That's what I mean. Perfect answer. :clapping:
It's not about being too sexual.......
It's just a random girl who strips just for the sake of it.
I don't see the art and mystery that MJ brought to every song...I mean they could at least have tried.

That's what I mean. Perfect answer. :clapping:
It's not about being too sexual.......
It's just a random girl who strips just for the sake of it.
I don't see the art and mystery that MJ brought to every song...I mean they could at least have tried.

I think some people blow the comment about the stripper out of proportion. I follow this thread and read almost all posts. I don't see people saying they are offended by the sexual nature of the scene. Some people feel the stripper and bar scenes seem to "glorify" the struggles the woman had on her way to stardom. People have issue on the message behind, not on the sexual nature of stripping and clubing.

Fans of Michael know how sexy and sensual Michael was. Yes, Michael Jackson was the sexiest and classiest performer. On stage, he was able to turn millions of women and men on while staying fully dressed. The videos of In the Closet and Black or White are sexy and classy. Most of us are fully aware of Michael's sexuality and are comfortable with it.

The video of Who Is It is so underrated. The story line is intriguing. The high class prostitude is so mysterious. Michael had respect in women. He didn't portray the prostitude in a disrespectful way. The prostitude seems to have a double identity. Is she a spy? Who really is she? There is so much depth to the story. Also, the imagery of the video is just beautiful. Compare to Who Is It, the video of Hollywood Tonight seems blank.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I am obviously in the minority here. I liked the video very much.

I didn't think she was stripping for the sake of it at all. It looked to me like she wasn't making enough as a waitress so she had to try find something else. And I am guessing she doesn't have a degree in accounting so she had to look for a job that she could use what she was good at. She was stripping but she was still pursuing her dream

She fell into the wrong crowd. When she was walking out of that bar she looked miserable to me and i think they were trying to show she was about to lose who she truly was.

So to reconnect with herself she used her connection to Michael. She found her way back to her true passion which was dancing (and Michael!)

Like i said I know I am in the minority here but I have to say how disheartened I am by the whole thing. I would have loved to have been able to share my joy and excitement for the video here but that is not the case.

I am wondering what the reaction will be to the Cirque de Soleil show and the possible Off The Wall aniversary cd?

Should the MJ estate just hold down the fort so to speak until Prince turns 30?

Again I am so sad I can't share my happiness here...

*leaves thread hanging head*

Hey guys... THE GIRL ON THE HT Vid. is One of the girls that Auditionend for TII! IF you go look at the TII DVD/bluray you got, when the permanent dancers were called, she was standing next to Mekia and Thyme.

So its her real story then. She didnt get picked for TII But got picked for HT! IT's pretty cool y'all!!!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Hey guys... THE GIRL ON THE HT Vid. is One of the girls that Auditionend for TII! IF you go look at the TII DVD/bluray you got, when the permanent dancers were called, she was standing next to Mekia and Thyme.

So its her real story then. She didnt get picked for TII But got picked for HT! IT's pretty cool y'all!!!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Oh yeah, well spotted Romi :D

L.o.v.e.
Romi

She did get picked. She was just called to work with Madonna who she had a contract with, so she couldn't attend the rehearsals.

Dude... do some of y'all read your comments after typing? Do you understand the meaning of the song? It's telling a story... The lyrics tells the story and its incorporated in the Short Film! I think its the Girls REAL story! Since she auditioned for TII and didnt get picked maybe she tried out for HT and got the job. I think its pretty cool!

If Michael was here, Who knows what song he would've put out. It would be different from this one but since we know he is not with us, we could just give it the benefit of a doubt.

This is my POV! I'm not hatin' on anyone here! :)

L.o.v.e.
Romi

I didn't think she was stripping for the sake of it at all. It looked to me like she wasn't making enough as a waitress so she had to try find something else. And I am guessing she doesn't have a degree in accounting so she had to look for a job that she could use what she was good at. She was stripping but she was still pursuing her dream

She fell into the wrong crowd. When she was walking out of that bar she looked miserable to me and i think they were trying to show she was about to lose who she truly was.

So to reconnect with herself she used her connection to Michael. She found her way back to her true passion which was dancing (and Michael!)

Like i said I know I am in the minority here but I have to say how disheartened I am by the whole thing. I would have loved to have been able to share my joy and excitement for the video here but that is not the case.

I am wondering what the reaction will be to the Cirque de Soleil show and the possible Off The Wall aniversary cd?

Well you can share it with me. I think there are more ppl than you think that love this short film. I do, and I interpret it the way you do. Michael was her inspiration through her struggles making it and when she finally made it she still went to him for courage and inspiration.

I am always afraid now to come into any thread here to discuss ANYTHING that has to do with ANYTHING that the estate is putting out after Michael's passing. We are all entitled to our opinion, but I think it is more than that now. It is really turning into just negativity towards anything to do with this project and who knows any other project. And it's the same ppl that spread this negativity. Oh well, I know there are many, many others that feel differently.

Dude... do some of y'all read your comments after typing? Do you understand the meaning of the song? It's telling a story... The lyrics tells the story and its incorporated in the Short Film! I think its the Girls REAL story! Since she auditioned for TII and didnt get picked maybe she tried out for HT and got the job. I think its pretty cool!

If Michael was here, Who knows what song he would've put out. It would be different from this one but since we know he is not with us, we could just give it the benefit of a doubt.

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Thanks!:D

eerrm, I don't think so.
Naomi touched MJ's crotch in the video, it's just a second but you can still see it :ninja:

She did! oh wow I've got to see that. That video is one of his sexiest most sensual videos ever, but in which scene does she do that? Please let me know..

minute 2:38 or 2:39 I guess :laugh:
omg you are right she DID...I noticed at the beginning to at around 40 seconds she ran her hands down the front of hm too....boy that sure s a VERY HOT hands on video...love that video..:D

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Do you understand the meaning of the song? It's your point of view, and that's cool...

However, I'm going by the lyrics that Michael wrote for the song...All I'm saying is that it would have been great if they would have stayed true to Mike's message...:)

They did stay true to the lyrics and the message of the song. They showed her struggling while trying to make it working as a waitress and a pole dancer, they showed the bad side of being famous with the paps, alcohol, etc. and ended it on a positive note with the girl being able to find herself.

They didn't make it more dark IMO, simply because the music and rhythm are so infectious, it makes you want to get up and dance and there's nothing dark in that. lol

I think the video fits the song, both lyrics and music, quite well.

Well, to me the vid matches the lyrics, but it also matches the music which is anything but dark. It's a pretty good mix of both.

Do you understand the meaning of the song? It's your point of view, and that's cool...

However, I'm going by the lyrics that Michael wrote for the song...All I'm saying is that it would have been great if they would have stayed true to Mike's message...:)

alright... so what was Michael's message in this song. I guess we interpreter it differently?

My interpretation is: A girl moves to Hollywood to follow her dream in becoming a dancer. She auditions but never gets the parts. So she works two jobs one as a waiter, the other as an exotic dancer, to support herself. At last, she gets a part when she auditinos and then becomes famous and it didnt turn out as she thought it would. Michael's HT is just that. wasn't it? or am I missing something?

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Last edited:
alright... so what was Michael's message in this song. I guess we interpreter it differently?

My interpretation is: A girl moves to Hollywood to follow her dream in becoming a dancer. She auditions but never gets the parts. So she works two jobs one as a waiter, the other as an exotic dancer, to support herself. At last, she gets a part when she auditinos and then becomes famous and it didnt turn out as she thought it would. Michael's HT is just that. wasn't it? or am I missing something?

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Well, yes, that's what the video seems to be portraying, but it's much, much deeper than that....what I'm saying is that Michael speaks about her giving 'hot tricks to men, just to get in'...therefore, prostituting herself....she's taught that not clean...she's only 15....In his handwritten lyrics, he also expresses that she's a runaway, and 'the obstacles she underwent are unbearable....and she goes against her parents' will'.......these are serious issues to get to where she needs to get....more serious and dangerous than working in a restaurant....of course, that's only one example - they did use the exotic dancer part, which is a dangerous job, too...I don't mean they have to be EXACT...i just think they should have delved a bit deeper in showing how sinister Hollywood is, and what an impact that can have on such a young girl....They just seemed to glamourize it too much, and barely touch on the deep core that is Hollywood and all it entails....That's all I"m saying....I'm not saying the video is god-awful and shitty...I just feel they could have explored that more and really connected to the lyrics....

Last edited:

I'm not trying to single you out. So, please don't take it the wrong way.

I'm glad you enjoy the video. Although I feel the video is nothing special and exciting, there is element that I like a lot. Sofia is fascinating to watch. She's a phenomenal dancer.

I don't understand why you said you can't share your happiness here. This is a public forum. This is a place for people to share their thoughts and ideas. It's not realistic to expect everybody to share favourable opinion on this video. This video, together with the album, received mixed reviews. Some fans love the project, some don't. We are all entitled to our opinions. I have heard some fans said they don't like Stranger In Moscow or Earth Song. Two songs I feel are among Michael's greatest. It doesn't take away their love of Michael. Expressing an unfavorable opinion is not an act of negativity.

Most of us don't dislike Sony and the Estate. Instead, we want the Estate and Sony to do the best they can to protect Michael's legacy. Are they doing a great job? Depends. I personally think they have hits and misses. I love This Is It and the Opus. I feel these two projects are put together with love and tremendous respct. I can continue writing postive posts to praise the film and the Opus. I can't say the same to the album and Vision. Many people automatically interpret giving criticism as trashing. Actually, fans need to offer constructive criticism to the people who are handling all these projects to ensure quality of products.

As to fans' reaction to Off The Wall re-issue and Cirque Du Soleil show? It depends on how well they are put together. I'm not the type who sing priase to everything with the name Michael Jackson attached to it. But still, I'm excited about them.

Am I the only one who's confused as to why in the video she's a dancer and not an actress like the song EXPLICITLY mentions? Not implies. Mentions. I dont know, just an oddity I have yet to comprehend.

I mean, the dancer means she gets to do MJ dancing but still...

at any rate, in response to the above poster whos apparently upset that some people are, heaven forbid, critical: I bought $150 floor seats for the Cirque du Soleil show. I cannot wait. I'm going not only because its Michael Jackson but because it's Cirque, and you really can't go wrong.

I will buy the off the wall reissue when it comes out. probably twice. just like i bought Michael twice (iTunes/CD). But if I spend my hard earned money then I think I have the right to have an opinion.

people need to just relax and stop taking things so personally, and also understand, just because someone doesn't like something michael did or was involved with doesn't mean they're not a fan. There's a couple of songs on the Dangerous album I dont like. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan...

Back