“Hollywood Tonight” VIDEO premieres NOW

It was not actually showing them having sex or even doing the movements, just them falling onto the bed. It actually shows her stripping around a pole...

Well, actually it doesn't show her stripping, just dancing. Clearly she was working either as a stripper or a pole dancer and I think they showed it in the most tasteful way possible.

This is very sad but not a huge surprise given the over processed vocals on the album version of HT and the totally avoidable controversy surrounding a few other songs on the album. Both Sony and the Estate are fully to blame.

And the fans, of course!

Just saw the video on TV here in Denmark. - GREAT !!

I have to disagree
with those stating a video should follow the lyrical content of the song.

I want to remind you that Michael never made a video that explicitly followed the lyrical content
of his songs. His videos were always outside the box and he took a more artistic and unexpected twist
or approach when making them.

We cant really say what Michael's vision would have been for this song. What we have and will always
have from now on is the vision of the directer who is inspired by Michael ... It wont be YOUR vision. . .
Just like MJ's own videos were NOT your vision.

Take Blood on the dance floor.
Its lyrical content is quite dark but he chose to make it something light enough to make people want to
dance to and not be totally depressed by the songs lyrical content.. and you didnt see blood oozing on the
dance floor either. So to reject the HT video for that reason doesnt fly in the realm of all Michal's other
videos or short films that dont follow the lyrics either.

Most of Michael Videos do NOT show the lyrical content throuout the song. He used his artistic expression
and made something quite unexpected from what the lyrics suggested to us_ He left a lot to the imagination
and allowed viewers to interpret his art in how it moved or touched them personally as most artists do. He
said he enoyed giving his fans somethign totally unexpected.

Just a few of MJ Videos & Short films that do NOT follow the lyrics
and have suprising or unexpected content

Blood on the dance floor
Black or white
Leave me alone
Remember the time
Jam
Scream

Actually, the blood on the dance floor is shown symbolically with them all wearing red and dancing, and they are doing it in a suggestive way. So it does fit the lyrics.
Black or White shows all different cultures, so how does that not fit with "It doesn't matter if you're black or white"? It is about accepting different races. The video displays that in a great way.
Leave Me Alone shows him on the cover of magazines and all the rumors going around about him and how he feels like he's part of a circus. So yes, the lyrics fit the video there too.
Jam does show kids in a bad neighborhood getting together to play basketball, which kind of fits the lyrics.
Scream has him looking angry and screaming and dancing in an angry way, so it does fit the lyrics, IMO.

I have to say that I agree with Arklove on all posts. They made Hollywood seem glamorized, and they completely missed the message Michael was trying to write about. The girl seemed really happy with her situation. Michael's videos don't fit the lyrics to a T completely, but they shouldn't contradict each other.

Actually, the blood on the dance floor is shown symbolically with them all wearing red and dancing, and they are doing it in a suggestive way. So it does fit the lyrics.
Black or White shows all different cultures, so how does that not fit with "It doesn't matter if you're black or white"? It is about accepting different races. The video displays that in a great way.
Leave Me Alone shows him on the cover of magazines and all the rumors going around about him and how he feels like he's part of a circus. So yes, the lyrics fit the video there too.
Jam does show kids in a bad neighborhood getting together to play basketball, which kind of fits the lyrics.
Scream has him looking angry and screaming and dancing in an angry way, so it does fit the lyrics, IMO.

I have to say that I agree with Arklove on all posts. They made Hollywood seem glamorized, and they completely missed the message Michael was trying to write about. The girl seemed really happy with her situation. Michael's videos don't fit the lyrics to a T completely, but they shouldn't contradict each other.

Well said, and thank you..

I'd like to add that the Scream video clearly shows Michael and his feelings of being 'alien' to the public/media..

Jam has political lyrics, and it touches on bringing nations/people together...Playing basketball ('Nation to nation all the world must come together, face the problems that we see then maybe somehow we can work it out..')

Black or White as a song itself does not have light-hearted lyrics ('BOY, is that girl with you?' 'Yes, we're one and the same..' Plus 'I ain't scared of no sheets'...)..This isn't light-hearted at all! (to quote one of qbee's posts) ...And these very lyrics are portrayed heavily in the ENTIRE video...His music has profound messages, and shouldn't be ignored or downplayed...

Based on the HT video, it fits Teddy Riley's lyrics...NOT Michael's...And, that's not right...

Last edited:
qbee;3294156 said:
Just a few of MJ Videos & Short films that do NOT follow the lyrics
and have suprising or unexpected content

Blood on the dance floor
Black or white
Leave me alone
Remember the time
Jam
Scream

Blood On The Dancefloor - a video set on a dancefloor. Dark message, dark overtones, DOES Michael smile throughout the whole thing? No. The word 'dance' (in the song) is a metaphor for promiscuous sex. Hence the dancing in the video is a metaphor for sex. I thought that much was obvious.

Black Or White - A song about racism sees Michael take a white suburban father to deepest Africa before dancing with races around the world. He then bursts through footage of the Ku Klux Klan while singing about their white 'sheets'.

Leave Me Alone - A video in which Michael emancipates himself from the ropes that have held him down by the dogs of the press.

Remember The Time - A video depicting a love story where the Queen quite clearly reminisces about a broken love affair.

Jam - A song about social, political and religious tensions send in an urban underground which sees the world (as a football) being thrown and kicked around.

Scream - A video that shows Michael and his famous sister isolated and living in a complete vacuum before screaming and dancing their way through the film. There's even a newsreader reading the news report, 'can't believe what I saw on the TV this evening…'

ARE YOU SURE you've been watching the same Michael Jackson videos that I've been watching?

A lot of MJ's vids don't follow the lyrics explicitly and some have other elements (sometimes funny) that are not in the lyrics at all. Fact.

Man, some of you act so dramatic as if the HT video is something completely and totally different from the lyrics.
violinqz.gif

A lot of MJ's vids don't follow the lyrics explicitly.

Yes they do.

Man, some of you act so dramatic as if the HT video is something completely and totally different from the lyrics.
violinqz.gif

It is completely different from the lyrics. In fact it's the POLAR OPPOSITE of the lyrics.

Dramatic? That's what happens when you see something you care about getting screwed with.

Remember The Time - A video depicting a love story where the Queen quite clearly reminisces about a broken love affair.

ARE YOU SURE you've been watching the same Michael Jackson videos that I've been watching?

`ON THE PHONE!YOU AND ME`

xD.

`ON THE PHONE!YOU AND ME`

xD.

Is this some sort of a joke?!

The premise of the film is based on the lyrics of the song. Whether they had telephones in ancient Egypt, I also very much doubt that they had people who could disappear into swirls of sand. The premise of the video, however, is based on the lyrics.

I don't see a 15 year-old girl in Hollywood Tonight. Nor do I see an aspiring actress. Nor do I see the ill effects of childhood prostitution. THAT is what the song is about. Nothing more, nothing less. Something that Michael Jackson had a personal interest in. The welfare of children and the abuse of children in showbusiness. SOMETHING he would have known more about than almost any other person on the planet. But hey... why let that get in the way of a good song and dance, right???

I see a big song and dance vehicle on a par with the latest Coca-Cola and McDonald's adverts.

^^ tricia your very interpretation is exactly what I mean about them downplaying the seriousness of Michael's message. This is his ART; it should LIVE...And this video, to me, shows they didn't want to go down that path and, subsequently, it looked more of a tribute video than anything else. They could have made this very deep and dark (as the songs entails); It's Michael's MESSAGE that's important here, not a tribute to him...A nice way to honour him would be to portray his message/lyrics exactly the way he wrote them..using his handwritten lyrics, too..the profundity in those! They should not be ignored! To me, its like writing a book report and only reading about a quarter of the book. There is so much more to discover with this song. There is so much more to it. This is what disappoints me.

Look at his message in Black or White Panther Dance...The controversy that erupted there! But, he had an important message to get across and he went there! Michael was always about the visual aspect and getting to the crux of the issue - he did whatever he had to do to get his point expressed (when the whole world says NO, you say YES)...That should signal to people it was highly important to him. There are always going to be people ranting about sex in videos, but look at the controversial ones out there nowadays, and a lot of them dont have any deep lyrical message to them at all...

As I have stated a few times already, Michael Jackson is much more than a hat and a glove...Yes, the video portrayed love and inspiration, but that is not what the song is about (its a good thought though, of course, but this has been showcased already in the HMH video) Now, how about we reveal a completely different aspect of Michael Jackson...

These types of songs he writes are a fantastic way of showing THAT aspect of his talent - his songwriting, which I believe he receives very little credit for already. These types of songs he writes are also ways to express his concerns and feelings about all sorts of issues - greed, racism, political activism, neglect, abuse, struggles, prostitution, the plight of children, the earth and its entities etc., etc., etc. The man was very well read and had views, thoughts, and strong feelings about all of the above and more. He was MORE than just a performer.

I want people to remember him for MUCH more than a hat and a glove. I am quoting this from another member:

Whatever you think about Michael Jackson, he was GREATER.

That is all.

This post says it all!

If this post doesn't make everybody see why we shouldn't be so easily satisfied with whatever they will give us from now on, I don't know what it does.

This post says it all!

If this post doesn't make everybody see why we shouldn't be so easily satisfied with whatever they will give us from now on, I don't know what it does.

Indeed. Arklove is a true warrior for MJ. He'd be SO proud to see how passionate she is about his actual art.

Indeed. Arklove is a true warrior for MJ. He'd be SO proud to see how passionate she is about his actual art.

He'd be just as proud of you :) I think I misquoted you though..I think it goes:

'However great you think Michael Jackson was, he was greater'

:)

Please please can you tell me who said that. I am trying to google it but i can't find it.

samhabib said it :) I'm not sure if he quoted from somewhere else though, but that's who I got it from :)

He'd be just as proud of you :) I think I misquoted you though..I think it goes:

'However great you think Michael Jackson was, he was greater'

:)

I have to correct you!
Not past tense because he still is and will be great, greater, the greatest.
NO other artist could come near him.
It may sound like a cliche but we all know this is true.
And our mission is to continue reminding to everyone this truth.

Is this some sort of a joke?!

The premise of the film is based on the lyrics of the song. Whether they had telephones in ancient Egypt, I also very much doubt that they had people who could disappear into swirls of sand. The premise of the video, however, is based on the lyrics.

I don't see a 15 year-old girl in Hollywood Tonight. Nor do I see an aspiring actress. Nor do I see the ill effects of childhood prostitution. THAT is what the song is about. Nothing more, nothing less. Something that Michael Jackson had a personal interest in. The welfare of children and the abuse of children in showbusiness. SOMETHING he would have known more about than almost any other person on the planet. But hey... why let that get in the way of a good song and dance, right???

I see a big song and dance vehicle on a par with the latest Coca-Cola and McDonald's adverts.

Many people justified the director's decision to place a positive spin to Michael's original concept by saying Michael is inspirational. He inspired the dancer in the video and gave her strength. Of course, Michael is inspirational. Who said he wasn't/isn't?

However, why so many ignore the pain and suffering Michael endured throughout his life in showbusiness? He was the childstar. He was the abused. Why Michael seemed to be fixated with story about young people struggling in Hollywood? Because it's partially autobiograhical. It's indeed based on true story - his own story. Mind you, I'm not suggesting he gave hot tricks to men. But, the pain, the loneliness, the lost are the same. The song is from his heart.

Obviously, Sony didn't look deep into it. They got a track with strong danceable beats and melody. Hey, let's make a big dance video and call it a tribute to Michael Jackson. The public loves his glove, jacket and white socks anyway. The public doesn't want to know how Michael lost his childhood and youth because of showbusiness anyway.

BTW, this video does feel like an extended commercial for the Experience...

However, why so many ignore the pain and suffering Michael endured throughout his life in showbusiness? He was the childstar. He was the abused. Why Michael seemed to be fixated with story about young people struggling in Hollywood? Because it's partially autobiograhical. It's indeed based on true story - his own story. Mind you, I'm not suggesting he gave hot tricks to men. But, the pain, the loneliness, the lost are the same. The song is from his heart.

Michael Jackson writing about a 15 year-old being abused by the Hollywood celebrity life?

"But they robbed you of your childhood, Took your youth and sold it for gold"

"I'll show you where the money is... just let down your hair... He's arresting her little girl... who's only 12 years old..."

"It was all for God's sake for her singing the tune. For someone to feel her despair. To be damned to know hoping is dead and you're doomed... Then to scream out and nobody's there..."

Man... it's almost as if Michael Jackson had something important he wanted to talk about. Who cares though... let's look at some hot dancers, hey?

MJHollywoodTonight-630x298.jpg

because Life is too short and i have no Time to loose...

Yet you have enough time to offend your fellow Michael Jackson fans? Referring to them as 'ridiculous'?

Time well spent...

Am I the only one who actually likes the video?

Am I the only one who actually likes the video?

No, you are not the only one. I'm sure many people found this video entertaining. There is a great hot dancer who danced her butts off on the signature Michael Jackson choreography.

I'm curious to know what you really think about this video after reading so many posts on why some of us are not fond of this video. I don't want to be repetitive here. To sumarize, some of us think this video lacks originality and deviates from Michael's original concept for the song.

What do you really like about the video? Mind to share?

Back