How many unreleased songs are left ?

^^ wikipedia for the most part requires sourced information on the entries . but many times in cases like this, it is not. Plus anyone can go on and edit the content leaving misleading information based on rumors. Until those overseeing the content remove it. So it can't always be trusted. You can validate entries by clicking the source number next to the content. to see if its from a reliable source. but even then you need to be somewhat informed to judge that.

I was curious to know if anyone has any idea how many songs are left from each album session.

With BAD I remember Quincy saying that MJ wanted to make it a triple album with 33 songs, I know we have 9 unreleased songs from the BAD era and Trouble. But I doubt MJ considered the likes of Free, Don't Be Messin' Round ready for release, and someone (John Barnes I think) on the BAD 25 doc said about 60 songs ?

MJ done around 100 songs for Dangerous, not including the Decade outtakes, he did at least 20 tracks with Bryan Loren, and loads of tracks with LA Reid, most of the BOTD album tracks were from the Dangerous sessions ,that doesn't include his demos.

Then with Invincible, I know he wrote a lot of material for it again around 100 I've heard, I know he was close to releasing an album in 1999, The World Is No Church.

I don't know as much about the, Off The Wall, Thriller, HIStory , 04-09 sessions, apart from HIStory didn't produce as much material.

Anyone have any ideas, I believe around 100 potential songs are left, P.S sorry it's long 🤣
Where is your source for The World Is No Church album
I was curious to know if anyone has any idea how many songs are left from each album session.

With BAD I remember Quincy saying that MJ wanted to make it a triple album with 33 songs, I know we have 9 unreleased songs from the BAD era and Trouble. But I doubt MJ considered the likes of Free, Don't Be Messin' Round ready for release, and someone (John Barnes I think) on the BAD 25 doc said about 60 songs ?

MJ done around 100 songs for Dangerous, not including the Decade outtakes, he did at least 20 tracks with Bryan Loren, and loads of tracks with LA Reid, most of the BOTD album tracks were from the Dangerous sessions ,that doesn't include his demos.

Then with Invincible, I know he wrote a lot of material for it again around 100 I've heard, I know he was close to releasing an album in 1999, The World Is No Church.

I don't know as much about the, Off The Wall, Thriller, HIStory , 04-09 sessions, apart from HIStory didn't produce as much material.

Anyone have any ideas, I believe around 100 potential songs are left, P.S sorry it's long 🤣
What is your source for The World Is No Church album

There’s a song titled “The World Is No Church” in the BMI repertoire, with Michael as the performer. However, that means absolutely nothing; it could’ve been written for him but never recorded.

There’s a song titled “The World Is No Church” in the BMI repertoire, with Michael as the performer. However, that means absolutely nothing; it could’ve been written for him but never recorded.
Could you send a link to the bmi listing

It was John Branca who spoke about 60 songs from the 'BAD' era, from which they chose for the 'BAD 25' album.

Also, 'The World Is No Church' album (1999) was made up by some fans, just like the 'Resurrection' album (2003), both of them were imaginary.

Michael Jackson wrote a lot of material for each studio album that he released (around 100 songs for each album), according to his own words.

Also, it has been said that after his death, many unreleased songs were discovered in various stages of completion.

Paris Jackson also, while testifying in a court case, implied that her father Michael Jackson was working on many songs in his final years.

THis was something that ı been thinking about too how many songs are there at least in a releasable state

Michael Jackson wrote a lot of material for each studio album that he released (around 100 songs for each album), according to his own words.
I believe this to be a grossly exaggerated statement on Michael's part. Yes, he worked very hard trying to perfect his music and he most certainly wrote many songs for each album, tens of songs...maybe even 35-50 sometimes. But 100? For each album? No way. That would mean that there would have to be some 400-450 unreleased songs written by him in the vault, which is utter nonsense.

Why did Michael exaggerate this statement? He most likely wanted to show the dedication he had towards his work, which was definitely there, and the oft-repeated statement about the 100 songs most likely reflects the number of ideas, grooves, instrumentals, song title ideas, lyrics sketches and demos.

If there are around 60 demos from the Bad sessions, which was arguably Michael's most creative time, there can't be more for previous or subsequent albums. Not 100 demos and certainly not 100 fully finished demos.

Michael liked to exaggerate things, at times, for dramatic effect. In 2002, during the Killer Thriller party, the number rose from 100 songs to 120 songs for each album.

I believe this to be a grossly exaggerated statement on Michael's part. Yes, he worked very hard trying to perfect his music and he most certainly wrote many songs for each album, tens of songs...maybe even 35-50 sometimes. But 100? For each album? No way. That would mean that there would have to be some 400-450 unreleased songs written by him in the vault, which is utter nonsense.
Depends how you count, 100 demoable songs no way, but 100 ideas, it's possible. Michael took years between albums and it's believable that he had many ideas, maybe jotted down notes, half finished lyrics which could add up to 100. Realistically, songs that could be in some releasable form, maybe 20-30 max per album and later years. That still adds up to close to 100 total.

Didn't the Estate say there were only a handful of songs left, maybe 10 to 15 or so?

Please don't answer because it makes me sad lol

Didn't the Estate say there were only a handful of songs left, maybe 10 to 15 or so?

I really wouldn't listen to anything the Estate say in regards to what they have left. They devalued MJ's worth so that they didn't need to pay taxes, so of course they are going to say there's basically nothing.

I really wouldn't listen to anything the Estate say in regards to what they have left. They devalued MJ's worth so that they didn't need to pay taxes, so of course they are going to say there's basically nothing.

These are all just speculations. I don't think anyone knows the truth, and that is kind of sad too :(

What is your source for The World Is No Church album
Truthfully I read it on a forum somewhere mate, I had no real source, I took it on face value like most fans. Now looking back 8 years later, it was probably a fan making it up or exaggerating. At the time, most fans believed there was an unreleased album with that name

Apparently in 1999/2000 the Invincible album was a very different record, at least compared to the one we now know as Invincible

Like AlwaysThere said there is a unreleased song called The World Is No Church, how complete it is I have no idea.

Maybe the even more important question is how many songs the Estate really own?
Michael was very chaotic at times, especially in his last decade. He might have left behind a lot of recorded material in Neverland, gave songs to dubious people who kept it and I could imagine a lot of stuff have been stolen (as we know LaToya's exhusband stole several recordings).
I fear many good songs disappeared over the years.

Nobody knows exactly how much is left to hear, because there’s no one source that has complete, unfiltered access and knowledge of the vault. MJ’s collaborators can only speak on material they were involved with, and the estate still doesn’t have access to everything that’s ever existed for a variety of reasons. It’s incredibly frustrating that record keeping before and after MJ’s death was so embarrassingly bad, because the likelihood of some songs being misplaced or lost completely is high.

Depends how you count, 100 demoable songs no way, but 100 ideas, it's possible. Michael took years between albums and it's believable that he had many ideas, maybe jotted down notes, half finished lyrics which could add up to 100. Realistically, songs that could be in some releasable form, maybe 20-30 max per album and later years. That still adds up to close to 100 total.
Yes, the only problem is that by stating this so many times over the years, Michael took part in creating the myth that many fans still believe, that there are hundreds and hundreds of songs in the vault, ready to be released by the Estate.

TJ Jackson recently made a statement regarding the number of Michael Jackson's unreleased songs.

As he stated to the assembled reporters, Michael Jackson recorded around 50 songs for each album, although not all of them were fully finished.

"My uncle was the kind of person to record 40 to 50 songs for an album and he would cover a dozen of them" (TJ Jackson)

This makes the number of these unreleased songs around 300 in general (given his 6 adult, studio albums).

This also makes the number of the songs that he wrote but he did not record (for each album) not necessarily around 100, but in any case higher than 50 because he chose from a bigger number of written songs in order to record the stronger ones for an album.

Nobody knows exactly how much is left to hear, because there’s no one source that has complete, unfiltered access and knowledge of the vault. MJ’s collaborators can only speak on material they were involved with, and the estate still doesn’t have access to everything that’s ever existed for a variety of reasons. It’s incredibly frustrating that record keeping before and after MJ’s death was so embarrassingly bad, because the likelihood of some songs being misplaced or lost completely is high.
I recently listened to the podcasts with Bryan Loren (079), Michael Prince (052) and Brad Sundberg (015) from https://www.themjcast.com/. I didn't make a note of who said what at which time marker, but the basic sentiment I got from all of them is that the Estate doesn't seem interested in collecting all the existing MJ songs and demos. Michael Prince or Brad Sundberg has said that if he were to get a paid job from the Estate he would take the time to sort out all his MJ files. And Bryan Loren would have been super happy to support a Dangerous anniversary edition with unreleased songs, but the Estate wasn't interested in that either.

Is there some error on the forum that keeps moving threads or something? Pretty sure this is like the third time this has happened over the past few days.

I recently listened to the podcasts with Bryan Loren (079), Michael Prince (052) and Brad Sundberg (015) from https://www.themjcast.com/. I didn't make a note of who said what at which time marker, but the basic sentiment I got from all of them is that the Estate doesn't seem interested in collecting all the existing MJ songs and demos. Michael Prince or Brad Sundberg has said that if he were to get a paid job from the Estate he would take the time to sort out all his MJ files. And Bryan Loren would have been super happy to support a Dangerous anniversary edition with unreleased songs, but the Estate wasn't interested in that either.
Also yeah, I find it kinda sad that Michael Prince says he has all sorts of stuff in his hard drives and has already let the estate know about it, and they haven't contacted him about it at all. We can only hope that they've contacted him since that interview and archived all the stuff he has, although I personally am doubtful of that.

It doesn't make them as much money as a film, musical or Las Vegas show so screw the fans who can't attend this stuff and are only interested in MJ himself, not someone pretending to be him or sing his songs.

Sorry. It was a bad joke. - I just find the Question a bit silly... How on earth should anyone - even The Estate - know how many songs are left?

Producers can have songs, MJ can have songs on harddiscs, casette tapes, CD's etc. - MJ's brothers could have copies of songs, rumours was LaToya stole a harddisc with songs. There are so many places songs can be. - Different singers he worked with, producers, engineers etc. etc.

So to ask for a specific number of songs left just felt silly. - We have many more intersting threads about titles of songs known to exist in different forms of completion. - That is way more relevant and interesting - and could potentially give an idea of the number of songs left - but still songs can appear many places.

Sorry. It was a bad joke. - I just find the Question a bit silly... How on earth should anyone - even The Estate - know how many songs are left?

Producers can have songs, MJ can have songs on harddiscs, casette tapes, CD's etc. - MJ's brothers could have copies of songs, rumours was LaToya stole a harddisc with songs. There are so many places songs can be. - Different singers he worked with, producers, engineers etc. etc.

So to ask for a specific number of songs left just felt silly. - We have many more intersting threads about titles of songs known to exist in different forms of completion. - That is way more relevant and interesting - and could potentially give an idea of the number of songs left - but still songs can appear many places.
Yeah, the estate does'nt have will.i.am and Red One recordings, there you have 2 complete songs ready to be released. plus a tons of demos

Keep in mind that the Estate may intentionally hold back information about the existence of more unreleased songs (in the vaults) in order to lower fans' pressure towards the Estate for releasing more posthumous albums with such stuff.

In any case, certain sources spoke about the number of the singer's unreleased songs.

For example, Tommy Mottola stated at one point that there are dozens and dozens of songs that did not end up on Michael Jackson's studio albums.

Tommy Mottola implies that these songs were fully completed.

Teddy Riley also spoke about a lot of finished tracks that were considered for inclusion on the 'Dangerous' album.

Also, a possible 'Dangerous' anniversary album filled with Bryan Loren unreleased tracks would not be commercially successful.

This seems to explain why the Estate does not care about contacting Bryan Loren for such a possible project.

Also, do not rely so much on things that sound engineer Michael Durham Prince has said over the years regarding unreleased songs.

Michael Durham Prince is not really a reliable source when it comes to unreleased songs.

For example, when he was asked, he had no recollection of the existence of outtakes from the 'Invincible' album (such as, the 'Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me' outtake).

Keep in mind that the Estate may intentionally hold back information about the existence of more unreleased songs (in the vaults) in order to lower fans' pressure towards the Estate for releasing more posthumous albums with such stuff.

In any case, certain sources spoke about the number of the singer's unreleased songs.

For example, Tommy Mottola stated at one point that there are dozens and dozens of songs that did not end up on Michael Jackson's studio albums.

Tommy Mottola implies that these songs were fully completed.

Teddy Riley also spoke about a lot of finished tracks that were considered for inclusion on the 'Dangerous' album.

Also, a possible 'Dangerous' anniversary album filled with Bryan Loren unreleased tracks would not be commercially successful.

This seems to explain why the Estate does not care about contacting Bryan Loren for such a possible project.

Also, do not rely so much on things that sound engineer Michael Durham Prince has said over the years regarding unreleased songs.

Michael Durham Prince is not really a reliable source when it comes to unreleased songs.

For example, when he was asked, he had no recollection of the existence of outtakes from the 'Invincible' album (such as, the 'Can't Get Your Weight Off Of Me' outtake).
…

I can’t even be bothered with this guy anymore lmfao

When it comes to a lot of the Bryan Loren stuff, I don't think there is much left with MJ actually on it. Seems all he has is stuff he made for MJ that he never even listened to lol.

Back