How old were you when you started listening to Michael Jackson?

I was born in 1989, so I grew up hearing that MJ was a weirdo, a freak, etc. Other than that, I really didn't know anything about him/his art.

I became a fan in 2006 when I heard Human Nature on the radio. I started watching his music videos on Youtube and I was hooked. I was hypnotized by his voice, dance moves, smile... Later that year, I already knew every single song by MJ and The Jackson 5/The Jacksons. Thank you Youtube.

I started listening to Michael Jackson when I was around 10 years old with Thriller, but really didn't start getting into him until I was 13 years old in 1988. That's when I started learning more about him and what a great man he was. Not to mention that I had a mad crush by that time. I wore out my Moonwalker video because I watched it so much. I had posters all over my walls of Michael. Listening to him as a teenager did keep me out of trouble. I thank him for that!

me in my room when I was little (no, I'm not a boy, I just looked like one), around 1984-1985. this was before I was even a fan. my mom put the poster there because she wanted me to like him...but I didn't care much, according to my mom :lol: I don't remember any of it, because I was so little, but she has told me stories how she tried to get me to watch him on tv and listen to his music and stuff, but I was not interested, at all. ironic I became a fan 3-4 years later, and drove my mom crazy playing his music constantly :lol:
1485109_10201359740577347_1924149129_n.jpg

When I first started listening to Michael Jackson, I was 9 years old. It was shortly after the bad album was released. I saw it in a store and asked my mom to buy it for me. My mom was very careful about what she let me listen to, and since the Internet didn't exist then for her to look up who MJ was, or info about the songs, she decided to take a chance and buy it. After listening to it that first time, my mom became a fan too. I wore that cassette tape out, playing it every chance I got. Out of all the tapes that I had at the time, it was my favorite one to listen to. When my niece was three or four years old, I would put the tape on and it wouldn't take long for her to start dancing to it with a big smile on her face. There were times when she would be dancing to an MJ song and she would start laughing and it wouldn't be long where we would be laughing to because we could see that she was having such a great time listening to MJ's music. As she got older, she wasn't into MJ's music that much, but now, as an adult, she listens to him all the time.

Probably around 2-5 if you count The Jackson 5/The Jacksons. But him on his own, most likely around the trial era which I was 8-9 during that.

I was around eleven-turning-twelve years old and Michael was a year younger.

ABC, Stop the Love You Save, I'll Be There, Never Can Say Goodbye.....those great songs.....Michael's unbelievable voice, his charisma and his spirit just spoke to me, straight to my heart and I never looked back, from then on. It's always been Michael, for me (even when he was part of the J5 and The Jacksons, I only had eyes and ears for him) and I still feel the same way, even now. No other artist is woven into the very fibre of who I am, as a person, the way that he is.

Last edited:
9. It was I Want You Back so exciting back then when each new song was amazing exciting and fresh

7 years, only 2 years before he died. After seeing MJ on the cover of a magazine, I started asking my dad about him since I was curious. Then my parents would play his music in the car all the time for me. I wish I was old enough to experience when Michael really started to get popular...you folks are lucky.

I remember watching Thriller when I was 8 and it scaring the crap out of me really bad that I didn't go back until Bad. But l really got stuck on MJ when I was 10 with Black or White. I said to myself that's my guy.

Back