I Am a Fan, But... (What Makes You Heretic Among Other Fans?)

if you don't mind me asking, what was it that was so bad about his make up? I'm not much of a make up expert, I never wear it myself. and I can't really tell? so I'm curios as to what you mean with "unflattering and overdone"

I don't want to focus on this too much because I hate when people criticise his appearance, but what I mean with unflattering and overdone is for example bright red lipstick that doesn't match his skin tone or very long fake eyelashes. But let's drop the subject OK? :)

I can see this thread turning into arguments in 3 2 1....:mat:

same for me :D

I don't mind lip sync
I love HIStory Tour
I love Jackson 5
I love this post. It proves that you never know what someone will like and why. But there is a valid reason for that person. And that's valid. I also believe that there is at least a small possibility that a person may enter a thread, not knowing the lead poster's intent, but one still wants to enter the thread anyway, because of what one gets out of the thread. I believe that if one is entertained, the job has been done. I love the piano, so singing isn't necessarily a lead instrument, in my mind, but then maybe it was for MJ..but then, maybe not. But he danced and sang so well. Sometimes a group known for singing, is founded by a guitarist. And I digress. I realize that I speak of things, here, that seem more appropriate in another thread, on here, but I felt the need to answer in this thread because...I'm a fan because his physical transformations seemed like magic to me..and even those things that seemed to be meant for bad, yielded great blessings. For instance..his vitiligo, to me, meant that a new version of him would emerge that was just as beautiful as the last, but just different. How did his hair change so dramatically, over the years, and seem to be so innovative with every turn? He seemed to be the reason that the term 'reinvention' was established for OTHER artist. His phrase, 'lover, not a fighter' and 'love you more' became household staples that everyone uses, today. And it's easy for me to assume that if you use one of the phrases, you're a MJ fan. I think he is a legendary songwriter, and a lot of official songwriting awards are named after him. I figured that no one could truly know his eating habits, because his mystique is legendary. I think he never aged. I think he's the greatest businessman, ever and nothing he ever did, changed that. But if I voiced some of these things loudly, some other fans tended to think I had a problem.

Last edited:
I'm not much of a J5 fan. I have a J5 Greatest Hits vinyl record that I bought on its release date and the J5 was my first live concert experience; but for me, it was always about Michael, not the rest of the group. Once Michael launched his adult solo career, I left the J5/Jacksons behind.

Destiny is my favourite Jacksons album and that's because there's more Michael in it.

I love "Just Good Friends".....the raw excitement in that is palpable.

I cannot stand TGIM because of Paul MCCartney, yet I LOVE "Say, Say, Say"....go figure.

"Thriller" is probably number four on my list of MJ albums, when ranking favourites.

I love the HIStory Tour and I don't care about lip synch.

I don't mind the Michael album at all......there are some beautiful songs on there and I'm glad that I have them in my life.
As someone else said, "Breaking news" is a catchy as HELL! There's enough Michael sprinkled through it for me to give it a low pass.
I don't like "Monster" or "Keep the Faith". Even if they were 100% bonafide Michael, I still wouldn't like them. They're just not good songs.

Pretty much nothing Michael did causes me to pause. I either understand, or can rationalise anything. I'm mush where he's concerned.

I love this post. It proves that you never know what someone will like and why. But there is a valid reason for that person. And that's valid. I also believe that there is at least a small possibility that a person may enter a thread, not knowing the lead poster's intent, but one still wants to enter the thread anyway, because of what one gets out of the thread. I believe that if one is entertained, the job has been done. I love the piano, so singing isn't necessarily a lead instrument, in my mind, but then maybe it was for MJ..but then, maybe not. But he danced and sang so well. Sometimes a group known for singing, is founded by a guitarist. And I digress. I realize that I speak of things, here, that seem more appropriate in another thread, on here, but I felt the need to answer in this thread because...I'm a fan because his physical transformations seemed like magic to me..and even those things that seemed to be meant for bad, yielded great blessings. For instance..his vitiligo, to me, meant that a new version of him would emerge that was just as beautiful as the last, but just different. How did his hair change so dramatically, over the years, and seem to be so innovative with every turn? He seemed to be the reason that the term 'reinvention' was established for OTHER artist. His phrase, 'lover, not a fighter' and 'love you more' became household staples that everyone uses, today. And it's easy for me to assume that if you use one of the phrases, you're a MJ fan. I think he is a legendary songwriter, and a lot of official songwriting awards are named after him. I figured that no one could truly know his eating habits, because his mystique is legendary. I think he never aged. I think he's the greatest businessman, ever and nothing he ever did, changed that. But if I voiced some of these things loudly, some other fans tended to think I had a problem.

I think many fans feel the same way, that they are afraid to say it out loud among other fans. because it is very unpopular, and some of it, maybe even taboo

I used to love Whatever Happens and did listen to it every day. Now I never listen to it. It´s still a lovely song but because of some (many) fans going crazy about who the song is about, it got ruined for me.

mjprince1976;4143798 said:
The fact I am big fan of Michael Jackson, but that I am a bigger fan of Prince, and my Prince obsession seems to dominate many of my posts on the site. I can't help, I have purple kool aid flowing through my veins. It's like MJ meets the New Power Generation with me!
mjprince, I’m glad you love both artists’ music - Michael AND Prince!!! However, I don’t necessarily choose, favor or put either one “above” or “below” the other (not that I find anything wrong with people who do, as everyone has - and, is rightfully entitled to - his or her own personal opinion).

Rather than do that, I consider each man the other’s equal in his level and degree of talent and skill, though they were complete opposites from one another in such things as their voice-type (pitch, range, timbre, and so forth), their public image, the way they each performed onstage, and various other factors. They each happened to have excelled in different areas of their careers as well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I never met many people who openly admitted to liking Michael's music growing up, for two reasons. First, I was extremely sheltered as a kid, my main environments being school, church, and home. I didn't understand social relationships in a lot of ways, and that's still tough for me now. Secondly, my formative years were in the mid-1990s, after the original allegations...and it seemed that everyone around me believed Michael was guilty. I remember listening to one of his CDs on a portable player with headphones, waiting for a church youth group to start. One of the adults came over to me and said, "We don't listen to things like that here."

Thankfully, I later had an experience that helped reverse that stigma. About three years ago, my then-current church was doing music before a sermon. They were the kind of folks who would play almost anything, if the song's message lined up with the sermon's topic. Suddenly, I heard a very familiar harmony, and thought to myself "no way"...only to smile like the Joker when the church band's lead singer began doing "Man in the Mirror". I was stunned, but in the best way possible. Later, I thanked the pastor for it, and he explained he chose the song for its point above all else. Still, I told him that was a huge blessing for me, and he appreciated it.

Virre;4145665 said:
I used to love Whatever Happens and did listen to it every day. Now I never listen to it. It´s still a lovely song but because of some (many) fans going crazy about who the song is about, it got ruined for me.

Since I usually fall in love with the music and don't study lyrics too hard, and I love that song...I have to ask...What did they say the song is about?

I think many fans feel the same way, that they are afraid to say it out loud among other fans. because it is very unpopular, and some of it, maybe even taboo
I agree. Because, with Michael, adversity seemed to be a friend. He seemed like Houdini. He seemed to not just make lemonade out of lemons, but he made diamonds out of lemons. This made his enemies(including the press) envious, bitter, indignant, and angry. One of the things that made his enemies (including the press) so envious, indignant, bitter, and angry, was when MJ was found not guilty on all counts of the trial...the press got really mad, and stated as much as I was thinking they were thinking..that, once someone else tried to go after him and hurt him, the press root for the predator, and would say...'You're not going to get away with one, this time!' Sure enough, the New York Daily News..or the Post, in the same city..one of them, for sure, (because I saw the headline) said that. And the press tends to control the thoughts of the masses, except for those who have a strong mind.

Last edited:
144 said:
Since I usually fall in love with the music and don't study lyrics too hard, and I love that song...I have to ask...What did they say the song is about?

They say the song is about Shana Mangatal. Even if he didn´t write the song and the composer told what the song is about they are convinced it´s about her just because of the way he sing at the end of the song.

Virre;4146182 said:
They say the song is about Shana Mangatal. Even if he didn´t write the song and the composer told what the song is about they are convinced it´s about her just because of the way he sing at the end of the song.
Who is Shana Mangatal, and what about her, do they say, the song is saying? Edit: oh..never mind, I looked up on google/yahoo and found out about her. I will admit that a song tends to mean different things, lyrically, to different people, except an obvious message like 'We Are The World'.

Last edited:
> "Sunset Driver" should've taken the spot of "She's Out of My Life" on the OTW album.
> I thought his Bad Tour versions of "Off The Wall" were waaaay too fast (loved the arrangement, but I didn't like the tempo).
> "Whatzupwitu" was just so fun. 90s work of art, belongs in a museum, how could someone hate something so beautiful, gift to planet earth, etc etc. :D

I didn't like him giving gifts to children from a Prague orphanage or actually any orphanage in the world. I know he really cared about abandoned children, but when it comes to Czech orphanages, these children are materially more than secured. What they miss, though, is unconditional love and family. If people give out to orphanages, authorities will not close them down cause it would be a waste of resources. People should instead take these children home and raise them. It's such a shame Michael had to battle through the second trial and didn't get to adoption.

I didn't like him giving gifts to children from a Prague orphanage or actually any orphanage in the world. I know he really cared about abandoned children, but when it comes to Czech orphanages, these children are materially more than secured. What they miss, though, is unconditional love and family. If people give out to orphanages, authorities will not close them down cause it would be a waste of resources. People should instead take these children home and raise them. It's such a shame Michael had to battle through the second trial and didn't get to adoption.

I think Michael's gifts were his way of showing love to these children. It's not about the material value of these gifts, it's the fact that a global superstar would take the time to visit underprivileged children to make them understand that they are important and special too. I wish more celebrities were like that.

Perhaps Czech orphanages are/were fortunate to have the means to secure children but it wasn't the case of all the orphanages Michael visited. He helped to improve the places' conditions and brought smiles and joy to many unprivileged ones. The children who have that special party at the Hard Rock Cafe in Mexico weren't orphans, their mothers were in jail but they're just allowed to be with their mothers for one or two years. And even if the second allegations hadn't happened, Michael wouldn't have been allowed to adopt for who he is.

I think Michael's gifts were his way of showing love to these children. It's not about the material value of these gifts, it's the fact that a global superstar would take the time to visit underprivileged children to make them understand that they are important and special too. I wish more celebrities were like that.

Yep. Even if Michael would've adopted one of those children, he couldn't have taken them all. But all of them needed to know someone was thinking of them and Michael did what he could to cheer them up a little.

1. I prefer the HIStory Tour performances of Billie Jean over most other ones he did.
2. I rarely ever listen to Heal The World or Thriller.
3. I've never been the biggest fan of the Bad tour.
4. I love the duet version of Love Never Felt So Good with Justin Timberlake.
5. Cry is super underrated.
6. I wish the studio/solo version of Scream from HIStory Tour would come out.
> I thought his Bad Tour versions of "Off The Wall" were waaaay too fast (loved the arrangement, but I didn't like the tempo).

Same. That's what slightly throws me off about the Bad Tour. It felt like everything was going too fast tempo-wise.

its funny that we have to say "we are a fan BUT" and our "buts" are not really buts.. when I first clicked in here I thought I was going to read things people didn't like about MJ or things they did not agree with..

Should have known better!

just lists of songs/performances people don't faint over ... lol

its funny that we have to say "we are a fan BUT" and our "buts" are not really buts.. when I first clicked in here I thought I was going to read things people didn't like about MJ or things they did not agree with..

Should have known better!

just lists of songs/performances people don't faint over ... lol

Well, I was told I should have been banned cause I think SC is the weakest track on Bad :p

I agree...Bad Tour is overrated

ohmy.gif

If you don't think the Bad tour was great, you weren't there to see it live. Period.

Whenever posts like these pop up, I always question if that person is being a troll or not. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but these posts leave me skeptical
Me too, but I'm usually right regarding first instincts.

Back